1. Post #1

October 2011
    17 Posts
    So yeah, I've been editing this map for a while now and I've been able to run it fine before, but now all of a sudden it just won't compile. After running the map the usual compile log comes up, and after waiting ~10 seconds, a dialog box comes up saying 'The command failed. Windows reported the error: "The system cannot find the file specified." Continue? Yes/No' If I hit yes, it brings up HL2 but doesn't load my map, and if I hit no nothing happens, the box just goes away. This is getting me really frustrated, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Here's the compile log.

Code:
    ** Executing...
    ** Command: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\vortigaunt4\sourcesdk\bin\source2009\bin\vbsp.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\vortigaunt4\half-life 2\hl2" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\vortigaunt4\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\rp_c45_v_.vmf"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Sep 15 2011)
    8 threads
    materialPath: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\vortigaunt4\half-life 2\hl2\materials
    Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\vortigaunt4\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\rp_c45_v_.vmf
    ConVarRef mat_reduceparticles doesn't point to an existing ConVar
    Could not locate 'GameData' key in c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\vortigaunt4\half-life 2\hl2\gameinfo.txt
    Patching WVT material: maps/rp_c45_v_/dev/dev_blendmeasure2_wvt_patch
    Patching WVT material: maps/rp_c45_v_/nature/red_grass_wvt_patch
    Patching WVT material: maps/rp_c45_v_/nature/canal_reeds_wvt_patch
    Patching WVT material: maps/rp_c45_v_/nature/blenddirtgrass001a_wvt_patch
    fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
    ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (1)
    ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (1)
    Processing areas...done (0)
    Building Faces...done (0)
    Chop Details...done (0)
    Find Visible Detail Sides...
    Merged 1204 detail faces...done (0)
    Merging details...done (0)
    FixTjuncs...
    PruneNodes...
    WriteBSP...
    done (2)
    writing C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\vortigaunt4\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\rp_c45_v_.prt...Building visibility clusters...
    done (0)
    Creating default LDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
       skybox/sky_day01_05*.vmt
     ! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
    Creating default HDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
       skybox/sky_day01_05*.vmt
     ! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
    Finding displacement neighbors...
    Finding lightmap sample positions...
    Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
    material "tnb/rdwh" not found.
    Building Physics collision data...

** Executing...
    ** Command: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\vortigaunt4\sourcesdk\bin\source2009\bin\vvis.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\vortigaunt4\half-life 2\hl2" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\vortigaunt4\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\rp_c45_v_"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Sep 15 2011)
    8 threads
    reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\vortigaunt4\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\rp_c45_v_.bsp
    Error opening c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\vortigaunt4\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\rp_c45_v_.bsp

** Executing...
    ** Command: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\vortigaunt4\sourcesdk\bin\source2009\bin\vrad.exe"
    ** Parameters:  -game "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\vortigaunt4\half-life 2\hl2" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\vortigaunt4\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\rp_c45_v_"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Sep 15 2011)

Valve Radiosity Simulator     
    8 threads
    [Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
    [45 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\vortigaunt4\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\rp_c45_v_.bsp
    Error opening c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\vortigaunt4\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\rp_c45_v_.bsp

** Executing...
    ** Command: Copy File
    ** Parameters: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\vortigaunt4\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\rp_c45_v_.bsp" "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\vortigaunt4\half-life 2\hl2\maps\rp_c45_v_.bsp"

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
      "The system cannot find the file specified."

2. Post #2
    October 2007
    4,838 Posts
    Your map name is no good, get rid of the last "_"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3

October 2011
    17 Posts
    Your map name is no good, get rid of the last "_"
    Done, though it's made no difference

4. Post #4
    Ask me about my 'female train' fetish.
    Dennab
    January 2006
    5,457 Posts
    Save as rp_c45_v_1.vmf > Close > Open rp_c45_v_1.vmf > Save as rp_c45_v_.vmf

Delete rp_c45_v_1.vmf.

Generally fixes this problem and I've been using this method since 2k7.

5. Post #5
    October 2007
    4,838 Posts
    Save as rp_c45_v_1.vmf > Close > Open rp_c45_v_1.vmf > Save as rp_c45_v_.vmf

Delete rp_c45_v_1.vmf.

Generally fixes this problem and I've been using this method since 2k7.
    Oh well yea and delete the other one, I thought that was obvious, you have to delete it in both the games folder and in source sdk

6. Post #6
    January 2012
    165 Posts
    If you haven't solved the problem, try completely renaming it to something less... robotic?

Code:
    rp_c45_v_.bsp
    What does that even suppose to mean?

7. Post #7
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    If you haven't solved the problem, try completely renaming it to something less... robotic?

What does that even suppose to mean?
    v for version, then the _ then what would be a version number after it.

It's useful to use meaningful names when mapping for file names and for entity names.

8. Post #8
    January 2012
    165 Posts
    v for version, then the _ then what would be a version number after it.

It's useful to use meaningful names when mapping for file names and for entity names.
    Maybe abbreviate the map name somehow? You used three underscores. o.O

I also noticed the underscore stops before the .bsp file extension, maybe this is a problem?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    November 2007
    43 Posts
    If this is the complete log then vbsp just crashes while building physics collision data
    and vvis/vrad can't open the half compiled bsp file it created.

To solve this problem maby you look at your recent changes of brushes, displacements and prop_static.

10. Post #10
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Maybe abbreviate the map name somehow? You used three underscores. o.O

I also noticed the underscore stops before the .bsp file extension, maybe this is a problem?
    Yes, that is a problem, the fix has already been suggested, the issue still occurs aparently.

11. Post #11
    January 2012
    165 Posts
    Yes, that is a problem, the fix has already been suggested, the issue still occurs aparently.
    If you removed an underscore and it still occurs, then the problem obviously isn't fixed.

Conjoin the name of the map and attempt to use a single underscore.

12. Post #12
    February 2012
    22 Posts
    ** Executing...
    ** Command: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\vortigaunt4\sourcesdk\bin\so urce2009\bin\vvis.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\vortigaunt4\half-life 2\hl2" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\vortigaunt4\sourcesdk_conten t\hl2\mapsrc\rp_c45_v_"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Sep 15 2011)
    8 threads
    reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\vortigaunt4\sourcesdk_conten t\hl2\mapsrc\rp_c45_v_.bsp
    Error opening c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\vortigaunt4\sourcesdk_conten t\hl2\mapsrc\rp_c45_v_.bsp

vvis cant find the file.. which indicates to me that the bsp never finished compiling or was never written as a .bsp file. more than likely because of the last underscore..
    from what i can see, vvis is trying to find rp_c45_v_ instead of rp_c45_v_.bsp. wether or not runBSP saved it as rp_c45_v_ im not sure.
    thats a seriously stupid name..

13. Post #13
    Facepunch Resident Alcoholic!
    July 2007
    8,079 Posts
    If you removed an underscore and it still occurs, then the problem obviously isn't fixed.

Are you dumb?

The word "Fix" is commonly used to describe a possible solution to a problem.

Fuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

14. Post #14
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts

You can use as many underscores as you like in a name, as long as they have letters or numbers around them.

rp_c45_v_.bsp is not a valid name
    rp_c45_v_01.bsp is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    February 2012
    22 Posts
    Are you dumb?

Fuck.
    you know if you actually read the first post before jumping in and making yourself look like a complete wanker, you would notice he said "the problem still occurs".
    gg.
    being an asshole to people who are trying to help is a pretty fail thing to do my friend.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    July 2007
    8,079 Posts
    you know if you actually read the first post before jumping in and making yourself look like a complete wanker, you would notice he said "the problem still occurs".
    gg.
    being an asshole to people who are trying to help is a pretty fail thing to do my friend.
    If you bothered to read first, he was implying that phoenix was using the word "Fix" to imply the issue had been fixed, which phoenix also stated it didn't, "apparently".

gg.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    gg.
    Well done for being the very thing you accused sphinxa of.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    January 2012
    165 Posts
    Are you dumb?

Fuck.
    Definitely unlike you, I was attempting to help.

Actually, the word 'fix' is often referred to as repairing the problem(s) in a game.

Go troll somewhere else.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Definitely unlike you, I was attempting to help.

Actually, the word 'fix' is often referred to as repairing the problem(s) in a game.

Go troll somewhere else.
    You haven't worked in the games industry obviously.

A dev will often refer to applying a fix, however, until a tester regresses the issue, and ensure the fix has taken, the issue is not regarded as fixed.

Way to go getting a reputation here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    January 2012
    165 Posts
    You haven't worked in the games industry obviously.

A dev will often refer to applying a fix, however, until a tester regresses the issue, and ensure the fix has taken, the issue is not regarded as fixed.

Way to go getting a reputation here.
    Wow, you must not appreciate any type of help, do you?

Technically, the 'fix' would be regarded as, like I said, fixing the said problems in game, and then ensuring that they are actually fixed by applying them to the game, hence the word 'fix?'

What does reputation even have to do with this? You must be really worried about it to rate my posts dumb when they're actually helpful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,983 Posts
    You didn't help. Also he said, the problem wasn't fixed.
    He was saying this isn't the issue. So stop defending yourself.
    You were late by saying that was the issue.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    OP hasn't posted in a week. By the way having an underscore doesn't effect the map not working.

23. Post #23
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts

Technically, the 'fix' would be regarded as, like I said, fixing the said problems in game, and then ensuring that they are actually fixed by applying them to the game, hence the word 'fix?'

What does reputation even have to do with this? You must be really worried about it to rate my posts dumb when they're actually helpful.
    My reputation is already here. I am a cyncial sarcastic bastard...otherwise known as being a londoner.

As i said, saying that a fix has been suggested is not the same as it being fixed. Take this for a games tester...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    January 2012
    165 Posts
    You didn't help. Also he said, the problem wasn't fixed.

He was saying this isn't the issue. So stop defending yourself.
    You were late by saying that was the issue.
    Suggestions are automatically no type of help? Just because the problem wasn't fixed obviously means I didn't solve the problem. I can defend myself all I want since I did actually attempt to help.

Did you help? No.

I don't care how late I was, I only suggested the idea since I didn't see it at the time; yet you all obviously did and claimed I didn't help anyone.

People these days.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    July 2007
    8,079 Posts
    Whats with the slight influx of retards ever since the beginning of the year.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Suggestions are automatically no type of help? Just because the problem wasn't fixed obviously means I didn't solve the problem. I can defend myself all I want since I did actually attempt to help.

Did you help? No.

I don't care how late I was, I only suggested the idea since I didn't see it at the time; yet you all obviously did and claimed I didn't help anyone.

People these days.
    Seriosuly dude...just stop. The point has been made several times and you seem reluctant to listen.

You suggested a possible fix after other people. The issue wasn't fixed by doing so. All you have done is whine about the wordings, and complain at people who have been trying to help...so just stop and leave it be.

27. Post #27
    January 2012
    165 Posts
    Seriosuly dude...just stop. The point has been made several times and you seem reluctant to listen.

You suggested a possible fix after other people. The issue wasn't fixed by doing so. All you have done is whine about the wordings, and complain at people who have been trying to help...so just stop and leave it be.
    I know it hasn't been fixed but were the off-topic arguments and namecalling necessary?

Apparently I have stopped? I don't know what I was doing that was so inappropriate, but okay.

Only two people out of this entire thread have mentioned the underscore conflict; me being the third. What wordings have I whined about?

Like I've had to say several times, I was only helping. Where is the reluctance?

Only when I do something right do I get labeled as being 'retarded,' or being an idiot. :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Maybe all this would have been avoided if you had read the thread first, maybe had some experience of the editor in question. Your comments were late and not needed.

Zach suggested that fix first, and the issue wasn't solved. Viral then suggested a different fix, not sure if that helped though, the thread seems to be filled with people making late suggestions that clone zach's fix, then whining when people tell them that it didn't solve the problem the first time.

29. Post #29
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,983 Posts

Did you help? No.

People these days.
    Read the whole thread before saying something because chances are someone has said the same thing. I didn't help because I don't know what the the error is.

A couple of times I got the same error, but it was in the Dark Messiah engine, which will not compile your map if you have a single leak.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    January 2012
    165 Posts
    Maybe all this would have been avoided if you had read the thread first, maybe had some experience of the editor in question. Your comments were late and not needed.

Zach suggested that fix first, and the issue wasn't solved. Viral then suggested a different fix, not sure if that helped though, the thread seems to be filled with people making late suggestions that clone zach's fix, then whining when people tell them that it didn't solve the problem the first time.
    Actually all of this would've been avoided if you hadn't have criticized my information. I don't see you referring to what ideas they've submitted and how they were late; only mine.

Why is there a problem between you and only the information I've submitted?

So reading the first post which contains the actual information about the problem isn't reading the entire thread itself? Fine. He didn't even edit the post with additional information. The only thing he wanted was for his map to be compiled properly, and the collaboration here in this topic so far isn't helping.

Yes, continue to refer to me as whining, yet no sources of information as of now have been specified related to me actually doing so.

So: According to you, replying to a thread to help someone is considered as being unneeded and late as far as my presence in this thread. You might as well tell the other people who submitted the same ideas as well. Wonderful.

Read the whole thread before saying something because chances are someone has said the same thing. I didn't help because I don't know what the the error is.

A couple of times I got the same error, but it was in the Dark Messiah engine, which will not compile your map if you have a single leak.
    In this case, I'll do so next time to avoid unneeded criticism about a simple idea.

He claims the system can't find the file specified when he tries to compile the map. Maybe he renamed something by accident and now has two mismatch files, hence the 'file specified' error.

Either that or he needs to do something to the actual map itself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    March 2010
    1,078 Posts
    Actually all of this would've been avoided if you hadn't have criticized my information. I don't see you referring to what ideas they've submitted and how they were late; only mine.

Why is there a problem between you and only the information I've submitted?

So reading the first post which contains the actual information about the problem isn't reading the entire thread itself? Fine. He didn't even edit the post with additional information. The only thing he wanted was for his map to be compiled properly, and the collaboration here in this topic so far isn't helping.

Yes, continue to refer to me as whining, yet no sources of information as of now have been specified related to me actually doing so.

So: According to you, replying to a thread to help someone is considered as being unneeded and late as far as my presence in this thread. You might as well tell the other people who submitted the same ideas as well. Wonderful.

In this case, I'll do so next time to avoid unneeded criticism about a simple idea.

He claims the system can't find the file specified when he tries to compile the map. Maybe he renamed something by accident and now has two mismatch files, hence the 'file specified' error.

Either that or he needs to do something to the actual map itself.
    You know you could have just said, "Whoops, sorry, didn't read the whole thread, and I guess what I thought would fix it didn't. My bad," instead of blaming other people for your over-blowing of someone saying you were late and didn't know what you were talking about, accept that you were, and move on. There really didn't need to be like 20 posts regarding it.

32. Post #32
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    And there really didn't need to have a series of posts complaining about my use of the word fix.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    January 2012
    165 Posts
    You know you could have just said, "Whoops, sorry, didn't read the whole thread, and I guess what I thought would fix it didn't. My bad," instead of blaming other people for your over-blowing of someone saying you were late and didn't know what you were talking about, accept that you were, and move on. There really didn't need to be like 20 posts regarding it.
    I actually didn't blame anyone, mind specifying any sources? I didn't know what I was talking about, yet what I suggested was related to apparently the other two things you said they suggested as well.

You'd be better off telling that to them as well. I love the chain reaction that occurs when someone says you're late about something, and then all the other immediate posts catch on and state something about that person being late as well, much like what is occurring now.

This could have been avoided if nobody opened their mouths about what I suggested, but suggested something else. Don't try to pin this all on me.

Spinxa, you just had to be the one to post something off topic, this is why we're here now.

Iron, I love how you're always insulting someone's intelligence. Be happy with the original suggestion and post another one.

..and for me? This thread is back on topic. Stop complaining and being butthurt over the tip that I offered.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    I actually didn't blame anyone, mind specifying any sources? I didn't know what I was talking about, yet what I suggested was related to apparently the other two things you said they suggested as well.

You'd be better off telling that to them as well. I love the chain reaction that occurs when someone says you're late about something, and then all the other immediate posts catch on and state something about that person being late as well, much like what is occurring now.

This could have been avoided if nobody opened their mouths about what I suggested, but suggested something else. Don't try to pin this all on me.
    Woo...more excuses and buck passing.

35. Post #35
    March 2010
    1,078 Posts

I give up. *throws arms up*

36. Post #36
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    I give up. *throws arms up*
    Part of my mantra is that i never give up...another annoying british trait i have picked up.

37. Post #37
    February 2012
    22 Posts

Spinxa, you just had to be the one to post something off topic, this is why we're here now.

Iron, I love how you're always insulting someone's intelligence. Be happy with the original suggestion and post another one.

..and for me? This thread is back on topic. Stop complaining and being butthurt over the tip that I offered.

forget it man, people here are retards and clearly have prejudices against newbies/outsiders.. i for one agree with you which is why i think il just stick with gamebanana.. >.<

38. Post #38
    July 2007
    8,079 Posts
    forget it man, people here are retards and clearly have prejudices against newbies/outsiders.. i for one agree with you which is why i think il just stick with gamebanana.. >.<
    Which is why you'll only ever see terribly made Gungame maps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Why would we hate outsiders. Prove you are a helpful person, and a good mapper and you get respect. Be an arse, and you will be remembered for being an arse.

I'm an arse here, but i respect those who deserve it. I also have the misfortune of being the author of a few fairly iconic maps.

40. Post #40
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,983 Posts
    Do what I did, make some maps, post around, and talk to people. That's how I made a couple of friends in the mapping section. Once you talk to them more you learn they are pretty cool guys.