1. Post #1

July 2007
    864 Posts
    Suggestions?
    I'm using Notepad++ right now.
    I need something good. For simple php/html/css/Javascript stuff.

2. Post #2

May 2011
    213 Posts
    Sublime Text 2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Useful Useful x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    March 2010
    102 Posts
    I use Sublime Text 2. Zend Studio is a little bit more professional.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,196 Posts
    I use Sublime Text 2. Zend Studio is a little bit more professional.
    And a lot more bloated. If you really want a full-fledged IDE with all the bells and whistles, go with PhpStorm by Jetbrains. At home and at work, I use Sublime Text 2 with a bunch of different extra packages.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,023 Posts
    And a lot more bloated. If you really want a full-fledged IDE with all the bells and whistles, go with PhpStorm by Jetbrains. At home and at work, I use Sublime Text 2 with a bunch of different extra packages.
    While you're here what's your opinion on cli editors a la vim and emacs?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

6. Post #6

December 2008
    557 Posts
    I personally prefer Netbeans for PHP

its a bit more bloated than N++ and others, but has some nice features---

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    What did the people at work say when you cracked open a sexy text editor rather than a bloated IDE?

8. Post #8
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    What did the people at work say when you cracked open a sexy text editor rather than a bloated IDE?
    If his work is anything like my work, it's more likely they'd have a go at him if he did use an IDE
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    If his work is anything like my work, it's more likely they'd have a go at him if he did use an IDE
    Where do you work? Envato?

He did say previously that he was the youngest person there and I imagine older people using an IDE.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    429 Posts
    Aptana isn't bad, I quite enjoyed using it. Notepad++ is still my favourite, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Sublime Text 2, if you want an IDE PhpStorm

12. Post #12
    He did say previously that he was the youngest person there and I imagine older people using an IDE.
    Old people use vim
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

13. Post #13
    December 2007
    653 Posts
    Old people use vim
    newbie idiots like me who think they are 1337 use vim too

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    429 Posts
    newbie idiots like me who think they are 1337 use vim too
    But I, euhm.. they don't stick to it very long.

15. Post #15
    I paid $2 for this
    October 2010
    791 Posts
    What's wrong with dreamweaver?Besides being fucking expensive... I never see anyone mentioning it here
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

16. Post #16
    June 2009
    2,152 Posts
    Notepad++
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    3,018 Posts
    What's wrong with dreamweaver?Besides being fucking expensive... I never see anyone mentioning it here
    Apart from being expensive, it's also pretty big compared to things like N++/Sublime etc, if you're using the code view then not much is wrong with it, apart from price & size.

I have started using Intype recently and really like it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18

December 2008
    557 Posts
    As long as you dont use WYSIWYG its OK. I cant say anything about the new versions of it, but i have found it lacking a few key features for it to be a proper editor in CS3.

I dont get why so many people say N++, if you want to do some serious or collabrative work in PHP, choose a proper IDE with PHPDoc generation / parsing.
    PHPDoc is a way of making comments for your code, so it automatically becomes a codehint in your IDE.

It all depends on what you want to do, if you're planning on working on huge projects or collaborative work, go for a IDE
    if you just need to do simple stuff or edit a php file occationally use an editor.

I write PHP and javascript 37 hours / week, i would shoot my self in the face if i was limited to n++..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,196 Posts
    While you're here what's your opinion on cli editors a la vim and emacs?
    I spend about 70% of my time on vim, the rest on Sublime Text 2. Not a fan of emacs.

None of the guys I work closely with had used it, and since I run Sublime in Vintage mode (VIM-style bindings and such), with very few elements visible, it went unnoticed for a while. There's one guy that uses netbeans, but everyone else uses vim, emacs, kate or even gedit.

This guy is right!

Old people use vim
    So is this guy! And from my experience, kate aswell (I guess old guys like KDE?)

As long as you dont use WYSIWYG its OK. I cant say anything about the new versions of it, but i have found it lacking a few key features for it to be a proper editor in CS3.

I dont get why so many people say N++, if you want to do some serious or collabrative work in PHP, choose a proper IDE with PHPDoc generation / parsing.
    PHPDoc is a way of making comments for your code, so it automatically becomes a codehint in your IDE.

It all depends on what you want to do, if you're planning on working on huge projects or collaborative work, go for a IDE
    if you just need to do simple stuff or edit a php file occationally use an editor.

I write PHP and javascript 37 hours / week, i would shoot my self in the face if i was limited to n++..
    Some people like IDEs and that's fine, but all the complaints I've heard towards other more lightweight editors came from people that tried them once and didn't like them - and that's an issue, since a lightweight editor truly shines (and bests any IDE) when you start tweaking it to your taste. All the things you REALLY use in a full-fledged IDE, I have in both Vim and ST2, and I can use them ten times faster than you.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,052 Posts
    I like Netbeans for PHP, there's just so many functions built into a non-bloated editor! And it works brilliantly with Dropbox, as it updates a file, even though I am looking at it in the editor.

Auto-upload and the nice dropbox support is why I really like it.

21. Post #21
    July 2010
    1,750 Posts
    I enjoy using Sublime Text 2

Save -> test on local server -> does it work???

no -> go back to sublime text and fix it
    yes -> upload to server

I remember if when i used NPP with the ftp plugin, if i screwed up and wanted to get back, i would sometimes have to start over...
    This way if I screw up, i can just get the original file from server and start again.

22. Post #22
    Start using version control like git or mercurial and you won't have that problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,270 Posts
    I like NetBeans. It has a syntax checker for those stupid mistakes, and can upload via ftp each time you save/when you tell it to. It's just more efficient.
    Of course, all the elitist people here will tell you "real men use vi/Notepad++" but if you're doing it as a personal hobby, as I am, then there is no reason to bother yourself with making yourself "more professional" because at the end of the day, you're saving yourself time and effort by using an IDE.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    It has a syntax checker for those stupid mistakes
    when I make a mistake, it's almost never a syntax error
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    wow. pro here
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,270 Posts
    and you represent the entire internet
    right

My point is, it's very easy to forget a bracket or semicolon or something stupid, especially after a huge block at 2AM. What is the downside of having something there to point out your mistake before you upload it, just in the chance you do make a mistake? It even does spell checking for you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    Everything has spell checking these days.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,270 Posts
    True. But that's not the main point here.

There is a lot of elitism when it comes to editors, when at the end of the day an IDE will get the job done in the same way, but will offer more advanced features like FTP integration. If you're looking to go into PHP as a job then maybe they'd prefer you use vim or something, that would make sense...but as a hobby there is no reason not to use an IDE, especially on a larger project or when working with friends.

29. Post #29
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    What is the downside of having something there to point out your mistake before you upload it, just in the chance you do make a mistake?
    what, you don't test locally first?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,270 Posts
    what, you don't test locally first?
    Ah ok, I was meant to say open it/test it...not sure why I said upload it

You're being pedantic, but so far you've failed to give us a single good reason not to use an IDE...

(I know you said your work might not be happy with it, but what about hobbyists? Not everyone does PHP for a living)

31. Post #31
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    IDEs are slow and clumsy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,196 Posts
    Ah ok, I was meant to say open it/test it...not sure why I said upload it

You're being pedantic, but so far you've failed to give us a single good reason not to use an IDE...

(I know you said your work might not be happy with it, but what about hobbyists? Not everyone does PHP for a living)

You keep going on about hobbyists/professionals, I don't get your point. Most people here are hobbyists, off the top of my head, only myself, Kmart, swift and shift and a couple more actually do this professionally, yet there's no correlation between those numbers and choices between "light" text-editors and full IDEs. Like I said, the line between an IDE and a simple text-editor is becoming blurrier - I have all the features I need in my text editor (be it vi or sublime), I simply took the time to find/create them for my editors to fit my needs, without all the extra crap I don't need and dislike about IDEs.

Nobody's trying to start a fight about this stupid meaningless bullshit, calm down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,270 Posts
    You keep going on about hobbyists/professionals, I don't get your point. Most people here are hobbyists, off the top of my head, only myself, Kmart, swift and shift and a couple more actually do this professionally, yet there's no correlation between those numbers and choices between "light" text-editors and full IDEs. Like I said, the line between an IDE and a simple text-editor is becoming blurrier - I have all the features I need in my text editor (be it vi or sublime), I simply took the time to find/create them for my editors to fit my needs, without all the extra crap I don't need and dislike about IDEs.

Nobody's trying to start a fight about this stupid meaningless bullshit, calm down.
    Well the correlation thing is mostly an assumption. On my engineering course, we are taught to use Notepad++ and other text editors for programming rather than IDEs as first, purely so we learn the 'hard way' for the first few weeks (you learn to be more careful if you don't have a syntax checker)
    All the lecturers are used to using vim and so they will still encourage the use of it. Knowing this, you can make a safer bet that people who have been encouraged to use vim and such will continue use in their careers after leaving University.
    For people who are hobbyists, they don't go through the same course and will probably revert to the easy route, using IDEs

That's the logic behind my reasoning, anyway. Mostly assumptions but it's also backed up by people I've spoken to on forums and such who find the same pattern/correlation.

Anyway sorry if I sounded as though I'm trying to start a fight

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    429 Posts
    IDEs are slow and clumsy
    By the time the time Dreamweaver opened for the rest of my class; I've already finished the assignment in Np++. You don't need an IDE for PHP; I don't want an IDE for PHP. I liek horsies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    3,508 Posts
    Nothing wrong with using Dreamweaver, It has great file management, toolbars, and auto FTP system. A great too for management. Just never ever click "Design View".

36. Post #36
    Bult in FTP is bad. You should be using version control, and if you are using version control you should be deploying through that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    3,508 Posts
    Bult in FTP is bad. You should be using version control, and if you are using version control you should be deploying through that.
    WELL, it has that too.

38. Post #38

December 2008
    557 Posts
    IDEs are slow and clumsy
    I would have agreed with you a year or two ago, but have you tried IDE's like netbeans recently? Its not really that slow anymore.. Ok, i admit i have upgraded my computers recently (for that raise i got for being so fucking productive), but netbeans starts up and is ready to go in 3 seconds.
    There has been some problems with suggestions/codehints lagging stuff up, but that seems to be gone.

With todays IDEs and hardware, theres really not any problems with using an IDE, but i agree that NOT using an IDE in the beginning of your learning curve might make you a better coder in the end.
    But really if you refuse to use an IDE in a job, i'd never hire you for sure..
    Don't get me wrong, getting shit done in vi can be fast too, but i have yet to see a collegue work truly effective with an editor (especially vi) seems to me that most people who uses editors just wants "fancy hacker colors" when they code so they can look cool.. But that is of course just a prejudice i have.

39. Post #39
    July 2010
    1,750 Posts
    I would use an IDE if I'm working on a project that needs thousands and thousands of lines so I can be more organized, but other than that, I don't think something huge like NetBeans is needed to complete something. Another thing is I really like how minimal sublime text is and It's beautiful (not saying netbeans isn't I've just never used it) and easily customizable (again I've never used netbeans).

I usually do not like to see bunch of toolbars when I'm working with only few hundred lines. I also like to keep my editor size small so I can see other windows as I'm working on it.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,196 Posts
    Don't get me wrong, getting shit done in vi can be fast too, but i have yet to see a collegue work truly effective with an editor (especially vi) seems to me that most people who uses editors just wants "fancy hacker colors" when they code so they can look cool.. But that is of course just a prejudice i have.
    Sounds like you need to surround yourself with better programmers, then.