1. Post #1
    Portal 2: Abyss
    September 2009
    1,233 Posts
    Plz Just Lock this Thread if any Mod/admin see it

I Did something wrong so ill try to fix it

Thanks you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    3,006 Posts
    did you even have permission to edit someone's map and rerelease it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    September 2009
    1,233 Posts
    I dont know .. That's why i do not take any credit for the map .. I didn't been able to Contact the creator of this map, so I cant really have his/her permission -- Its hard to contact someone and have the permission for something that he/she created like 4 years ago
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    3,006 Posts
    if you dont have permission you cant edit and rerelease someone's map. if you cant contact him you dont release an edit of his map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    I dont know .. That's why i do not take any credit for the map .. I didn't been able to Contact the creator of this map, so I cant really have his/her permission -- Its hard to contact someone and have the permission for something that he/she created like 4 years ago
    Then don't edit a map if you don't have permission to do it. Its a common courtesy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,635 Posts
    Please remove this, You're blatantly stealing someone else map.
    If you like the idea, make your own.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    April 2008
    112 Posts
    if you dont have permission you cant edit and rerelease someone's map. if you cant contact him you dont release an edit of his map.
    What is everyones problem within the gmod community? It released under no copyright or protective law. This guy has and had the right to modify the map. Give him a break! You idiots really p*** me off with this mumbojumbo "common courtesy"/"Your not allowed" crap!

No copyright/No Creative Commons protection/No way to contact author/Taking no credit for the modifications = FINE!

As a mapper myself I have had parts of my work copied, I have had someone modify older maps and update them and re-release them, its not something I have put money into, just some spare time, if someone can make it better and extend its life then Im fine with that, there is nothing wrong with it. Re posting something and claiming it is yours is wrong, but this guy has modified the map to his tastes, and that is fine. get off his back about it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,635 Posts
    What is everyones problem within the gmod community? It released under no copyright or protective law. This guy has and had the right to modify the map. Give him a break! You idiots really p*** me off with this mumbojumbo "common courtesy"/"Your not allowed" crap!

No copyright/No Creative Commons protection/No way to contact author/Taking no credit for the modifications = FINE!

As a mapper myself I have had parts of my work copied, I have had someone modify older maps and update them and re-release them, its not something I have put money into, just some spare time, if someone can make it better and extend its life then Im fine with that, there is nothing wrong with it. Re posting something and claiming it is yours is wrong, but this guy has modified the map to his tastes, and that is fine. get off his back about it!
    Dude, it's called being respectfull to someone elses work.
    Even if the law does not apply to it, it is still a bad thing to do.

We are not saying "STOP THIS IS ILLEGAL YOU GONNA GET IN TROUBLE!", We're saying "STOP THIS IS A BAD THING TO DO!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    April 2008
    112 Posts
    Dude, it's called being respectfull to someone elses work.
    Even if the law does not apply to it, it is still a bad thing to do.

We are not saying "STOP THIS IS ILLEGAL YOU GONNA GET IN TROUBLE!", We're saying "STOP THIS IS A BAD THING TO DO!"
    This guy tried to get consent from the author but couldn't contact them, fair play to him for trying!

As a mapper and lua coder myself I don't see it as a bad thing at all. Its called modifying, updating, advancing.....or would you rather we still lived in caves?

Your argument is stupid and invalid!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,635 Posts
    This guy tried to get consent from the author but couldn't contact them, fair play to him for trying!

As a mapper and lua coder myself I don't see it as a bad thing at all. Its called modifying, updating, advancing.....or would you rather we still lived in caves?

Your argument is stupid and invalid!
    It's called editing someones elses map and republishing it.
    so what if he TRIED? TRYING is not going to get you a gold medal.

I myself, as a mapper, would not be happy seeing someone edit one of my maps and republishing it.
    Also, updating and advancing? Do you have any idea of what you are typing down? Updating and Advancing is good! It's great! It should be done by the maps creator and not someone else who does not have the authors consent.

(I bolded the part of your post that i think you should just cut out. Because it makes you look like an absolute idiot.)

Edited:

Seriously are you even trying?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    The map should only ever be worked on with the authors consent. No consent, no work.

Now, if someone asks me if they can use a vmf, i will most likely give it to them. However, i wouldn't be happy if someone ripped off my work without asking first. It is a courtesy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Facepunch Resident Alcoholic!
    July 2007
    7,980 Posts

Wow you are plain fucking retarded, you don't just go and edit somebody else's map. Even if you don't take credit for it, it's still not right, the original author probably put shitloads of work into the map only for it to be decompiled, edited and reuploaded.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

13. Post #13
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,422 Posts

Taking someone's map and making edits on it is like taking the Mona Lisa and scribbling a mustache on her with a sharpie.

If someone even dares to decompile my work I would probably rip their testicles off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    August 2008
    196 Posts
    Taking someone's map and making edits on it is like taking the Mona Lisa and scribbling a mustache on her with a sharpie.

If someone even dares to decompile my work I would probably rip their testicles off.
    No, It'd be like taking the mona lisa, Improving on it, and re-releasing it better than it was before. OWAIT, that's been done before.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...o_da_Vinci.png

Now that piece is sitting in a museum, and is almost as popular as the original.

He made an earnest attempt to contact the original mapper, and failed. The original download for the map is no longer even available on Gmod.org. He took an old, forgotten concept, improved on it, then re-released it, putting both his aswell as the original back in the public eye.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    No, It'd be like taking the mona lisa, Improving on it, and re-releasing it better than it was before. OWAIT, that's been done before.

Now that piece is sitting in a museum, and is almost as popular as the original.

He made an earnest attempt to contact the original mapper, and failed. The original download for the map is no longer even available on Gmod.org. He took an old, forgotten concept, improved on it, then re-released it, putting both his aswell as the original back in the public eye.
    And mappers still frown on the behaviour. Especially if it is a mapper who hasn't released any of his own work that is worthwhile in and shape or form, and feels inclined to release someone elses work in order to bolster their rep.

As i said before, no permission, no map. He probably didn't fix any of the errors caused by decompiling either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,977 Posts

How is that improved? It is no longer original, and I honestly think that is pretty stupid. That is not how the painter envisioned the painting to be, and that is why it was not originally painted that way. Taking someone's work and adding your own stuff is like you writing a book and someone rewrote the ending.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    February 2010
    12,422 Posts
    So with your logic, that means I can look at something that's not mine and ask, "Hey, can I have this?" and if they don't respond that obviously means yes?

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    693 Posts
    Source mapping is serious business.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 3 (list)

19. Post #19
    Jaded
    April 2010
    2,200 Posts

I'd decompile and edit one of your maps without credit but OWAIT you have none. Don't speak about things you know nothing of. Also, cool YT vids.

Edited:

rofl
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    So with your logic, that means I can look at something that's not mine and ask, "Hey, can I have this?" and if they don't respond that obviously means yes?
    I'm gonna try that in a bank vault at midnight.

21. Post #21
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,977 Posts
    I'm gonna try that in a bank vault at midnight.
    Make sure you bring a burlap sack for all the money, and maybe a cool mask just incase its a costume party

22. Post #22
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Make sure you bring a burlap sack for all the money, and maybe a cool mask just incase its a costume party
    I have my stripy jumper too...

23. Post #23
    July 2007
    7,980 Posts
    aaaaaaaand derailed.

24. Post #24
    August 2008
    196 Posts
    I love how you people work. Instead of attacking the issue at hand you come at me with personal attacks that have literally nothing to do with what we are discussing. I ask that you stop with the Ad hominem.

I didn't even play this guy's map. I don't know if what he did was an improvisation or a straight up rip. Point is, Since he produced this map, both his and the original map have reached the popular downloads page. This map- which is no longer even available by the original publisher- Has achieved popularity it hasn't had for years. The original publisher of the map has not been heard from for years, and we may very well never hear from him again. He produced a great work, and it'd be selfish of anyone to deprive the public of what he'd done simply because we couldin't get approval for it. If he were to return and complain, I'm sure we would comply with his wishes.

Should we condemn those who publish shakespeare because we didn't ask him if it was ok? What about the newly-popular spinoffs such as "Gnomeo and Juliet"? It was a bad movie, sure. But it created interest in one of the greatest artists of old, and anyone who thinks that is wrong is a bad person.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Jaded
    April 2010
    2,200 Posts
    I love how you people work. Instead of attacking the issue at hand you come at me with personal attacks that have literally nothing to do with what we are discussing. I ask that you stop with the Ad hominem.

I didn't even play this guy's map. I don't know if what he did was an improvisation or a straight up rip. Point is, Since he produced this map, both his and the original map have reached the popular downloads page. This map- which is no longer even available by the original publisher- Has achieved popularity it hasn't had for years. The original publisher of the map has not been heard from for years, and we may very well never hear from him again. He produced a great work, and it'd be selfish of anyone to deprive the public of what he'd done simply because we couldin't get approval for it. If he were to return and complain, I'm sure we would comply with his wishes.

Should we condemn those who publish shakespeare because we didn't ask him if it was ok? What about the newly-popular spinoffs such as "Gnomeo and Juliet"? It was a bad movie, sure. But it created interest in one of the greatest artists of old, and anyone who thinks that is wrong is a bad person.
    You're trying too hard.

26. Post #26
    July 2007
    7,980 Posts

is that you in your avatar?

Edited:

nevermind it is, you're really cool :D

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 5Funny Funny x 5 (list)

27. Post #27
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts

People will always be interested in the great works of art. Maybe if i expire, planetfall will go down in history. However the fact is still this. As mappers, we have a right to be able to tell someone that they can or cannot work on a map. If they don't reply, it is not right to just go ahead and map a rip off of someone else's map.

I can tell you that sgt sgt wasn't too pleased when his map was claimed by other people, and faulkman before that had a couple of people claim the titanic was their own work. Editing without permission is stealing under another name.

This is how we work. You have had this told to you from seven individual mappers, yet you still try the same excuse everytime.

In short, it isn't right, most mappers agree on this. Accept it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    September 2009
    1,233 Posts
    I understant what you mean IronPhoenix But I never Claimed Credit for that map and I am trying to contact the Original Author and ask him permission if he do not want I will remove this Map from This Gmod.org and The Gmod Toybox

I Repeat I made this Map for having fun with a new design of His work I do not take any credit and Make this for Enjoying a new concept

I will Create my Own map For Slaughtering ragdoll Later I Used This map Because i wanted to Learn how he Made it and simply modded few Broken Traps And making it at my taste

I Dont want to shock anyone from this, And I will release soon Some Traps made of my own . I will also Give the VMF For Free, for eveyone who want to use them :P

29. Post #29
    Jaded
    April 2010
    2,200 Posts
    I understant what you mean IronPhoenix But I never Claimed Credit for that map and I am trying to contact the Original Author and ask him permission if he do not want I will remove this Map from This Gmod.org and The Gmod Toybox

I Repeat I made this Map for having fun with a new design of His work I do not take any credit and Make this for Enjoying a new concept

I will Create my Own map For Slaughtering ragdoll Later I Used This map Because i wanted to Learn how he Made it and simply modded few Broken Traps And making it at my taste

I Dont want to shock anyone from this, And I will release soon Some Traps made of my own . I will also Give the VMF For Free, for eveyone who want to use them :P
    WeLl ThAt CeRtIaNlY ClEaRs ThInGs Up

30. Post #30
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,977 Posts
    Aw what a cute hello kitty backpack! Is that yours?

And to answer your question, I'm sure shakespeare wouldnt want some bad movie called gnomeo and juliet made out of his work. He spent time on creating that play.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 4 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,635 Posts

Remaking a book, play or movie is ENTIRELY different from copyinjg and editing a map!
    You really have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. Comparing these 2 situations is like comparing Borrowing to Stealing and saying the two are the same.

I suggest you stop posting here, before you say something even more ludicrously stupid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    February 2010
    12,422 Posts
    I think the most irony here was at one point a V4 was in progress by the original author

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/890145

33. Post #33
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,977 Posts
    OP should make an entirely new map, but honestly I think gore mod or whatever it is kind of dumb. A bunch of red strings isn't gore
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    It you want gore, push a starving lion into the house of lords. You get gore, we get rid of a bunch of overpaid foolds with more money than sense.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,977 Posts
    There's room for... sarah palin in there... right?

36. Post #36
    September 2009
    1,233 Posts
    Here is the PM i sent to swerik (the original author)

I modded you map The Ragdoll Slaughter V3

I Added 2 New Traps and make Modded one

I published it on the Gmod.org Website and the Toybox

I will remove them if you want Ill give you the Vmf If you want .. I do not take any Credit For that work

Here is the Forum Thread

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1164460

and here is the Download link
    http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=128450

I am just waiting for an Answer to know if I have the Right to keep Sharing it

I gave all the Credits to you :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    Jaded
    April 2010
    2,200 Posts
    Here is the PM i sent to swerik (the original author)

I modded you map The Ragdoll Slaughter V3

I Added 2 New Traps and make Modded one

I published it on the Gmod.org Website and the Toybox

I will remove them if you want Ill give you the Vmf If you want .. I do not take any Credit For that work

Here is the Forum Thread

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1164460

and here is the Download link
    http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=128450

I am just waiting for an Answer to know if I have the Right to keep Sharing it

I gave all the Credits to you :)
    What the shit, you cannot do that, man. Asking for permission is not the same as what you did, which is doing whatever you want and telling an unused account to stop you if it can. Big, big difference.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    *Waits patiently for pac0master to see sense and bring his maps down.

39. Post #39
    Jaded
    April 2010
    2,200 Posts
    Putting this for the record, rule 3 in the sticky

3. Don't post decompiled or edited versions of other maps without explicit permission from the maker of the original map. Otherwise, don't post other people's maps and claim they're yours. If you post someone else's map give them credit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    September 2009
    1,233 Posts
    and claim they're yours. If you post someone else's map give them credit.
    Exacly what i am doing I give Credit to him and NEVER Claimed it To be mine . I just worked on few hours and wanted to share it because i never seen an other version

I know its not the Best thing to do but well i just wanted to share this because there is a lots of people who probably wanted something New

I am working on My verion (all made by me) and erase this map

The Author is active on Steam so im trying to contact him from there now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)