1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,667 Posts
    [TABLE="width: 300, align: center"][TR][TD][/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

[TABLE="width: 800, align: center"][TR][TD]From the artist of Terraria and his friends comes Starbound, a brand new game currently in active development.[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

[TABLE="width: 1100, align: center"]
    [tr][td]A story within a sandbox
    Starbound begins with you fleeing your homeworld in a space shuttle, just as it’s destroyed by an unknown enemy. With nothing to guide it, the escape pod shoots into space without direction, becoming hopelessly lost in a sea of stars. As luck would have it, the space shuttle makes contact with an abandoned space station and an adventure begins that will take you hurtling across the universe. Starbound contains both quests and story driven missions, buried inside its vast sandbox universe.

[/td][/tr][tr][td]

[/td][/tr][tr][td]The Space Station
    The space station in Starbound is sprawling and full of potential. Throughout your travels you’ll find ways to upgrade and repair it, restoring it to its former glory. You’ll need to find a crew, conduct research, catch rare creatures, and unlock its multitude of facilities. From a factory capable of producing mechs to labs where captured enemies can be studied and trained, the space station contains everything you need to explore the universe.

[/td][/tr][tr][td]

[/td][/tr]
    [tr][td]Endless Planets to visit
    Planets in Starbound are entirely procedurally generated and filled to the brim with unique content. The developers went into the planet generation with one simple goal: no two planets should be the same. By procedurally generating even the smallest details, they're doing just that. Not only is the terrain of the planet procedurally generated, but the weather, the gravity, the difficulty level, the plant life, the behaviour and appearance of alien creatures, and much more all contain random or procedurally generated elements.

[/td][/tr][tr][td]

[/td][/tr]
    [tr][td]We want you to feel like an explorer!
    Because they're working so hard to make each planet unique, they want to give you the tools to catalogue the things you find and make sure absolutely everything you find has depth in the world. Much like old school point and click adventures, absolutely every object in the world, right down to the trees and flowers, can be examined for a description.

See a weird alien tree? Examine it! Maybe you’ll discover something about its use! For any explorer, sharing discoveries is important. So whilst the game is fully coop (Bring your friends along! Form an expedition!) you can also record your findings in an electronic logbook. Not only that, but each and every planet has unique coordinates in the Universe that you can share online, so other players can check out exactly what you found!

[/td][/tr][tr][td]

[/td][/tr][tr][td]Finding a new home
    Exploring is wonderful, but everyone needs a place to call their own. That’s why you can claim an entire planet!
    When you claim a planet as your new homeworld, a whole new aspect of gameplay opens up. Everything that makes a planet unique is at your command. Feel like changing the weather? Build a weather centre! Don’t like the terrain? Terraform it! Every aspect of the planet is under your control. Once you’re happy with it, start populating it with characters you’ve met in your travels and take care of them! They’ll have needs and desires and won’t hesitate to ask for your help if they require assistance.[/td][/tr][/TABLE]
    [TABLE="align:center"][tr][td]For more specific details about everything ranging from NPCs to modding to the music, go here.[/td][/tr][/TABLE]

[table="align:center"][tr][td]
    [h2]Starbound even lets you create your own character, from six different races:[/h2]
    [/td][/tr][/table]
    [TABLE="class: grid, width: 1200, align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD][h2]Avians[/h2][/TD][/TR]
    [TR][TD] [/TD][/TR]
    [TR][TD]Avian culture revolves around the worship of Kluex, the winged god of the Aether. Avians believe they were stripped of their wings as punishment for entering the mortal world and will only regain their wings in the afterlife should they achieve absolution through worship.Throughout their history Avians have always been a primitive race, making little scientific progress. Avian numbers were beginning to dwindle when a superior race took pity and bestowed the gift of advanced technology upon them. This new found tech allowed the Avians to flourish and spread across the universe, building temples of worship as they go.

Avians soldiers are trained from birth to be fierce warriors and will protect their temples at any cost. Avian weaponry may look primitive at first glance, but the incorporation of advanced technology makes them particularly formidable. Avian generals forge wings for themselves that function much like jetpacks.

Though rare, Avians have been known to stray from their religious culture. Dubbed the grounded, these Avians become outcasts and find solace amongst other races.[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 1200, align: center"]
    [TR][TD][h2]Apex[/h2][/TD][/TR]
    [TR][TD] [/TD][/TR]
    [TR][TD]For millenia the Apex were close to human in appearance until breakthrough research into accelerated evolution lead to the creation of the “Vestigi-Evo Process”. The VEP allowed the Apex to trade physical devolution for intellectual evolution.

The Apex operate under a collectivist regime controlled by the Miniknog (The Ministry of Scientific Progression). Each Apex dedicates his life to the survival and progression of the Apex as a whole. The nature of this regime allowed the VEP to be administered species wide in less than 10 years.

The most honored members of Apex society are those chosen by the MiniKnog to donate their bodies to furthering the VEP. Those chosen for the experimentation process are rarely seen again, but their names are said to be inscribed on the wall of the chosen which sits deep within the Ministry.

For a time the MiniKnog received criticism from several prominent Apex for what appeared to be a bias towards selecting only the poorest in society to be members of the chosen. This criticism was silenced however when the critics themselves were selected.

There are whispers of a rebel group ready to denounce the MiniKnog and lead the Apex into revolution. But in Apex society discussion of dissension is punishable by death.

Glory to the chosen![/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 1200, align: center"][TR][TD][h2]Florans[/h2][/TD][/TR]
    [TR][TD] [/TD][/TR]
    [TR][TD]One would expect a race of sentient humanoid plants to be peaceful, nature-loving environmentalists – that presumption is what allows this hyper-aggressive tribal civilisation to thrive. Unwitting explorers are prey of choice to the carnivorous Florans, who frequently salvage or reverse engineer the technology they bring to enable their colonisation of the stars.

Introducing space travel to the primitive Florans had the undesired effect of Floran colonies spanning across star systems, each with their own customs and levels of aggression. Despite this, individual Florans have been known to split apart from their society to lead their own lives in isolation or in the solace of other races, at the cost of being cut off from the collective and considered enemies of all flora for good.

Though a unisex race, Floran culture values survival through reproduction and expansion over environmentalism or any percieved bond to Mother Nature. Cannibalism during funeral rituals and wars with rival factions are commonplace, though it remains unclear whether it’s out of conservation or simple tradition.

Their aggressive nature appears to be borne from a lack of a concept of non-plant life as opposed to outright contempt. Owing to their relatively young age as a species, this tenet dominates their culture and justifies their treatment of visiting races, though there are signs of some beginning to question this, implying that Floran individuals might not be inherently “evil” as previously thought.[/TD][
    [/TR][/TABLE]

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 1200, align: center"][TR][TD][h2]Glitch[/h2][/TD][/TR]
    [TR][TD] [/td][/TR]
    [TR][TD]The Glitch were part of a program invented by an unknown race of enormous intelligence, they were built as a means of simulating the social and technological progress of a civilization.

These experiments took place in a vast number of regions across the Universe, despite changing a plethora of variables each civilization eventually destroyed itself when its technological progression began to overtake its social progression. All but the Glitch.

For reasons unknown a fault caused the Glitch to become stuck early in the simulation, where they now remain. The experiment long abandoned, the Glitch are unable to shake their Medieval values and beliefs. They’re entirely unaware of their origin and are built to experience the feelings and desires of any other sentient organism.

The Glitch reproduce by finding a mate and physically building a new Glitch together. Occasional faults in this process has caused Glitch to be produced free from the limitations of their programming. Entirely self aware and full of advanced knowledge, these Glitch are generally thought to be insane and are hunted, imprisoned and executed.

Small numbers of faulty Glitch have managed to escape their homeworlds and set up villages amongst the Stars.[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 1200, align: center"][TR][TD][h2]Fish[/h2][/TD][/TR]
    [TR][TD] [/TD][/TR]
    [TR][TD]We have yet to receive any information about this race. "Fish" is, needless to say, an unofficial name.[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 1200, align: center"][TR][TD][h2]Humans[/h2][/TD][/TR]

[TR][TD] [/TD][/TR]
    [TR][TD]We have no idea what these might be![/TD][/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[table="align: center"][tr][td]
    Here, make your own!
    [/td][/tr][/table]

[table="align:center"]
    [tr][td][h2]Media[/h2][/td][/tr]
    [tr][td]Screenshots[/td][/tr]
    [/table]

[TABLE="width: 1000, align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TABLE="align:center"]
    [tr][td]Videos:[/td][/tr][/table]
    [TABLE="width:1200, align: center]
    [tr][td]
    [/td][/tr]

[tr][td]
    [/td][/tr]

[tr][td]
    [/td][/tr]

[tr][td]More here.[/td][/tr]
    [/table]

The game will hopefully be out sometime the first quarter of 2013, though nothing is set in stone, and if you're interested you can read more about the game at the website.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner x 227Dumb x 8Funny x 4Artistic x 3Informative x 3Optimistic x 2Friendly x 2Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Bold Member
    October 2006
    3,703 Posts
    Looks really cool. The art style is lovely. I hope it's not another building game. The idea about having a real story makes it sound appealing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 20Agree Agree x 12Dumb Dumb x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    607 Posts
    Looks really cool. The art style is lovely. I hope it's not another building game. The idea about having a real story makes it sound appealing.
    Seeing as they're talking about getting your own planet and changing it, I don't think you should get your hopes up.

Personally, I wouldn't mind either way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 65Winner Winner x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,572 Posts
    well that was a pretty disappointing trailer

Edited:

i mean do people not check for spelling mistakes any more
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 38Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    July 2010
    3,645 Posts
    Looks pretty good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    607 Posts
    well that was a pretty disappointing trailer

Edited:

i mean do people not check for spelling mistakes any more
    There were spelling mistakes?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,572 Posts
    There were spelling mistakes?
    right at the end, the word unknown.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    7,589 Posts
    right at the end, the word unknown.
    Also "Explore through random generated galaxies."
    Should be randomly generated galaxies.
    Although now im just nitpicking.

Anyway, does this mean they are already going to stop updating Terraria?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    July 2010
    622 Posts
    I hope this actually brings new core features rather than just being TERRARIA IN SPACE!!!. I'd love if it's actually one big solar system or galaxy without loading screens (so it loads in terrain as you get closer to the planet) with circular planets that loop around.

I don't want just a stand-alone DLC where you can choose to go to different worlds from some list...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    3,256 Posts
    Also "Explore through random generated galaxies."
    Should be randomly generated galaxies.
    Although now im just nitpicking.

Anyway, does this mean they are already going to stop updating Terraria?
    It's not all of Re-Logic, just one guy I think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    IDIOT WHO IS NEVER FUNNY AND CANT UNDER STAND WHEN NOT WANTED
    September 2006
    5,895 Posts
    Seems really great, no idea how they'll get it to work together though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,820 Posts
    Sounds awesome on paper, but that trailer was pretty shitty. Not sure I'm digging the art style either.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 22 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    7,589 Posts
    I hope this actually brings new core features rather than just being TERRARIA IN SPACE!!!. I'd love if it's actually one big solar system or galaxy without loading screens (so it loads in terrain as you get closer to the planet) with circular planets that loop around.

I don't want just a stand-alone DLC where you can choose to go to different worlds from some list...
    The artstyle is like, completely different.

But even though i already thought that Terraria's artstyle was pretty bad, i actually think this one is worse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Disagree Disagree x 26Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    February 2005
    10 Posts
    Hi there,

Starbound is my game :) so I wanted to answer a few things here.

First that trailer was made by a fan, we'll be releasing our own trailer soon with some gameplay footage.

Also, this is a game being produced by Chucklefish games and is a completely new and original IP. I also think it's a very unique game that really doesn't play like anything else out there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner x 146Informative x 4Funny x 2Friendly x 1Useful x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    August 2009
    4,187 Posts
    I think the trailer is a fan trailer, it's just screenshots and all

Edited:

also Yrimir isn't a dev, last I checked
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Late Late x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,201 Posts
    I like the art style...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 25Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    1,012 Posts
    I hope it will have Coop(its the best thing in terraria).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

18. Post #18
    Black Box Lover and Enthusiast
    August 2007
    8,035 Posts
    http://pastebin.com/sDxGb2pC I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but here's a Dev Q&A the guys did earlier.

I'm very excited for this one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    October 2009
    1,640 Posts
    Hi there,

First that trailer was made by a fan, we'll be releasing our own trailer soon with some gameplay footage.

Also, this is a game being produced by Chucklefish games and is a completely new and original IP. I also think it's a very unique game that really doesn't play like anything else out there.
    What does the trailer mean by the game having gravity? Because I mean most games have 'gravity' as in you fall towards the ground when you jump but if this is a space game there surely must be a slightly different meaning by it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    PM ME FOR /TWO\ RUST KEYS!!
    April 2011
    5,660 Posts
    Another 2D Spessmen game, does it have pooe and clowns?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 24Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    August 2010
    855 Posts
    What does the trailer mean by the game having gravity? Because I mean most games have 'gravity' as in you fall towards the ground when you jump but if this is a space game there surely must be a slightly different meaning by it.
    There will be different gravity per planet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    November 2008
    198 Posts
    You can land on other planets and the whatnot, yes? Im sure it just means that those planets have varying gravity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    February 2009
    2,740 Posts
    It's not all of Re-Logic, just one guy I think.
    It's not even by Re-Logic,this is by "Chucklefish",I guess the developer used to work with Re-Logic
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Arab Emirates Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    This is -- excuse me -- a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
    August 2008
    8,762 Posts
    I want the first song that was played in that trailer.

Right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,572 Posts
    always nice to have a developer post on FP, hiya Tiy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 19Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    wtf am i reading
    June 2010
    15,855 Posts
    Hi there,

oh god Tiy has FP account oh god oh god
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Croatia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 34Late Late x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    February 2005
    10 Posts
    Nice to meet you guys :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Friendly Friendly x 88Winner Winner x 3 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,135 Posts
    Nice to meet you too. I am curious about Coop as well and maybe even online as opposed to just LAN like in Terraria. Rough estimate on cost would be nice too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    4,759 Posts
    I am interested once i know there will be interesting mechanics like athmosphere and stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Netherlands Show Events

30. Post #30
    February 2005
    10 Posts
    The game will be entirely coop, not only the sandbox play but the main quest as well. In fact, aside from (maybe) some difficulty scaling. The game is the same in singleplayer and coop.

It's being built entirely with server based communities in mind. We're making it a really social experience (social not meaning stealing all your money with in app purchases).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 62Funny Funny x 6Zing Zing x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #31

July 2010
    2,034 Posts
    Shut up and take my money, Tiyuri. Why are indie developers so friendly?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    847 Posts
    Will there be flight system? Crewing the ships? Or just "Sir, we found unknown planet, want to land?"-> teleport to planet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Pomf =3
    October 2008
    3,549 Posts
    This game looks awesome

also hi tiyuri :D

34. Post #34
    February 2005
    10 Posts
    Shut up and take my money, Tiyuri. Why are indie developers so friendly?
    I think the real question is, why are other devs so unfriendly?

Will there be flight system? Crewing the ships? Or just "Sir, we found unknown planet, want to land?"-> teleport to planet
    You'll be able to build dropships and drop pods. Whilst you wont control them in space as such, they will land on the planet and have unique properties. Dropships are used by teams who want to arrive on a planet together. Pods are for players arriving alone :)

This game looks awesome

also hi tiyuri :D
    Hey!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 56Friendly Friendly x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    June 2009
    3,640 Posts

You'll be able to build dropships and drop pods. Whilst you wont control them in space as such, they will land on the planet and have unique properties. Dropships are used by teams who want to arrive on a planet together. Pods are for players arriving alone :)
    How complex would flying be? Would you be able to crash land craft, or do they land on its own?

36. Post #36

August 2011
    836 Posts
    Will you be able to recruit troops from your ship to follow down to the planet? Also I like how the weapons those soldiers on the drop ship had, reminds me of Aliens.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    January 2008
    645 Posts
    Looks interesting, looking forward to seeing actual gameplay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,146 Posts
    I linked this thread in Teamspeak just now and we're all groaning and squeaking while saying "I WANT IT" "I WANT IT MORE".

Sounds good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,684 Posts
    I'm really interested by this. I've already played the hell out of Terraria several times over.

I'm definitively going to stay tuned for this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    15,365 Posts
    will you be able to design your own ships/pods or will it just be preset

either way, my money is yours
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)