1. Post #281
    July 2010
    3,963 Posts
    I hope we're able to at least not only explore and go around but build good homesteads too. Even though you have a space-station.
    I don't usually build homesteads, but when I do, I build fusion-powered floating homesteads.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 3 (list)

2. Post #282
    September 2007
    953 Posts
    maybe atleast have some safe zones for some planets, like desert planet might have an oasis, with a village near it. but some like a highly volcanic planet would be unsafe and have no safe zone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #283
    I spent 10$ and all i got was this lousy title.
    June 2008
    5,233 Posts
    Legris does some amazing art. (Spriter for Starbound)

http://legrisoui.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 14Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #284
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,251 Posts
    Blowout soon, fellow stalker.

But seriously, I'd prefer he did art for the game rather than these wallpapers, so it could be finished sooner.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events

5. Post #285
    June 2008
    5,233 Posts
    Well there is like 2 other spriters and i wasn't including Tiy; from what i can find out he does these things in a livestream that usually lasts about 2 hours.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #286
    March 2010
    764 Posts
    Blowout soon, fellow stalker.

But seriously, I'd prefer he did art for the game rather than these wallpapers, so it could be finished sooner.
    No it couldn't, if a decent artist takes an entire day, then they could create every single sprite for that game since it is just pixel art. They are creating backgrounds and shit because they have nothing else to do. Coding the game is what takes a while.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

7. Post #287
    January 2009
    1,612 Posts
    No it couldn't, if a decent artist takes an entire day, then they could create every single sprite for that game since it is just pixel art. They are creating backgrounds and shit because they have nothing else to do. Coding the game is what takes a while.
    A true artist takes his time to make works of art and not rush it through and make the game look like utter shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

8. Post #288
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Winner Winner x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

9. Post #289
    December 2010
    809 Posts
    The white health thing is interesting.

10. Post #290
    June 2008
    5,233 Posts
    Sounds like Fighting games health system.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

11. Post #291
    Yandere Princess
    April 2010
    22,296 Posts
    A true artist takes his time to make works of art and not rush it through and make the game look like utter shit.
    A true artist works at their own pace without rushing nor without taking more time than necessary. If he works at his own pace and is still lacking spriting work to be done you shouldn't just assume that he's rushing. That's stupid. Taking longer isn't likely to make things look any better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

12. Post #292
    January 2009
    1,612 Posts
    A true artist works at their own pace without rushing nor without taking more time than necessary. If he works at his own pace and is still lacking spriting work to be done you shouldn't just assume that he's rushing. That's stupid. Taking longer isn't likely to make things look any better.
    You're supposed to take your time to make art but it's no excuse to be lazy and not get it done

there
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

13. Post #293
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,623 Posts
    you guys do realize that concept artists do not necessarily sprite at all, right?

And, it's concept art that these backgrounds are. They're made by Fetalstar, who is a dedicated concept artist for the team.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #294
    June 2008
    5,233 Posts
    you guys do realize that concept artists do not necessarily sprite at all, right?

And, it's concept art that these backgrounds are. They're made by Fetalstar, who is a dedicated concept artist for the team.
    If you're that sure of the pictures i posted are made by fetalstar explain how i saw legris draw them in a live stream.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

15. Post #295
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,623 Posts
    If you're that sure of the pictures i posted are made by fetalstar explain how i saw legris draw them in a live stream.
    oh, I was assuming that we'd be speaking about the wallpaper pictures because I disregarded pictures and just skimmed through to read the last post. I should've read the thread properly, that pic is on this page, even.

Although to be honest, isn't Legris' speed-drawing/streaming things pretty much done on his spare time, in which case the time wouldn't be used to make sprites for the game anyway?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

16. Post #296
    June 2008
    5,233 Posts
    Starbound weekly wallpaper #4

I hope this doesn't represent an accurate representation of NPC weapons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 14Winner Winner x 4 (list)

17. Post #297
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,064 Posts
    Dinosaurs with RPG's?
    Instant buy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 20 (list)

18. Post #298
    Gay Member #1
    Dennab
    November 2009
    5,517 Posts
    I sure hope thats exactly what the NPCs are like
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

19. Post #299
    September 2007
    953 Posts
    surely they are peaceful!

they'd rather have it and not use it than not have it when they want to shoot your face off.

20. Post #300
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,117 Posts
    That should definitely be the player. I don't know about you guys, but I know I'd like to play as a bazooka-toting segway-riding velociraptor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #301
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,803 Posts
    Sounds like Fighting games health system.
    Indeed; it's like recovery, whereby if you avoid being hit you can recover some of the lost health. Interesting kind of health regen, IMO.

But one thing i'm hoping is that they have "special abilities", possibly item-based. but I guess we'll find out about that in the next blog posts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

22. Post #302
    September 2007
    953 Posts
    i wanna be able to construct sentries for defense.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #303
    January 2010
    1,267 Posts
    "Kyren implemented directional torches today"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 31Artistic Artistic x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #304
    June 2008
    5,233 Posts
    Beat me too it, still it looks fucking amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

25. Post #305
    March 2010
    946 Posts
    I can just imagine walking through a deep, dark cave and shedding light on some underground monstrosity
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

26. Post #306
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,064 Posts
    "Kyren implemented directional torches today"
    +670,000 hype
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

27. Post #307
    May 2011
    1,009 Posts
    that lighting was incredible, loved how it looked
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

28. Post #308
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,803 Posts
    And with the new vid, interest skyrockets. Kinda cool with their new lighting engine. Plus it looks like the blocks are a quarter of the player's size, as opposed to the third-of-player size that Terraria had. Loving the slope mechanics, much smoother than Terraria.

As you can see, I do view this as a spiritual successor to Terraria, which is kind of what it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

29. Post #309
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    2,063 Posts
    This will be tons better than Terraria, simply because of the randomness in it. Terraria was all set in stone, pretty much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

30. Post #310
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,803 Posts
    How so? I thought the terrain was pretty random, as was ore distribution and the events, but I suppose you're talking about the gear progression curve or whatever. Plus there weren't that many biomes to enter, and you always started in the forests.

What're your claims of Terraria being set in stone, anyways?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #311
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    2,063 Posts
    The only things randomized in Terraria is the biome, and even then it's just what the layout is. In Starbound, the planets are randomized, the biomes on the planets are randomizd (Snow biomes, desert, tropical forest, etc). Even the mobs are randomized. Terraria is set in stone because there is truly nothing random about it, you KNOW the dungeon is on one side or the other. You KNOW there are islands in the sky around X Z-level. If you do it in Terraria once, you've done it all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Informative Informative x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

32. Post #312
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,225 Posts
    Starbound weekly wallpaper #4

I hope this doesn't represent an accurate representation of NPC weapons.
    That's absolutely fucking gorgeous
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

33. Post #313
    September 2009
    183 Posts
    The more I see of this game, the more hyped I get. I've got a feeling that many sleepless nights will be spent playing this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

34. Post #314
    wtf am i reading
    June 2010
    15,938 Posts
    Seems like a real Terraria sequel with 10 times more content and more depth
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Croatia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11 (list)

35. Post #315
    June 2008
    5,233 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

36. Post #316
    Oh man, I'm so damn hyped for this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events

37. Post #317
    September 2007
    953 Posts
    from the sound of it a lot of where terraria was flawed is getting touched up a bit here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #318
    wtf am i reading
    June 2010
    15,938 Posts
    http://forums.playstarbound.com/inde...e-2#post-45517
    Reason why there's no gameplay video and how they're developing the game.

Edited:

Seems like a real Terraria sequel with 10 times more content and more depth
    Ok, can anyone tell me why I got rated dumb?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Croatia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Informative Informative x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #319
    January 2008
    645 Posts
    I wasn't even worried
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

40. Post #320
    June 2008
    5,233 Posts
    http://forums.playstarbound.com/inde...e-2#post-45517
    Reason why there's no gameplay video and how they're developing the game.

Edited:

Ok, can anyone tell me why I got rated dumb?
    Possibly because apart from the game genre, 2d & tiy they share little relevance and are in no way related to each other somewhat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)