1. Post #321
    September 2007
    953 Posts
    Possibly because apart from the game genre, 2d & tiy they share little relevance and are in no way related to each other somewhat.

the only real relevance they share are some of the staffing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #322
    Possibly because apart from the game genre, 2d & tiy they share little relevance and are in no way related to each other somewhat.
    wat

www.terraria.org posted:
    Graphics Design

Finn (Tiy) Brice is an old school gamer, who enjoys games that make the player think, feel, laugh and smile whilst still providing a tight and challenging experience. He has always wanted to be a games developer and believes that indie gaming is undergoing a renaissance that is only now allowing the games he loves to step into the spotlight. Experienced in game design, graphics design and management he hopes to bring all he has to offer to Terraria to aid in producing a wonderful experience for it's players.
    Really now?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

3. Post #323
    Yandere Princess
    April 2010
    22,296 Posts
    wat

Really now?
    Learn to read. gazzy_GUI said apart from Tiy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

4. Post #324
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    3,002 Posts
    Starbound and Terraria do look a bit alike to be fair. But this feels like it will surpass terraria.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Pakistan Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

5. Post #325
    September 2009
    183 Posts
    But this feels like it will surpass terraria.
    From what we've heard so far, I think it has already lapped Terraria in respect to the gameplay as a whole. The art is sweet, the lighting amazing and the variety endless. I believe we have a big winner coming up here.

Also, quit the bickering with the "Hurr, this looks like Terraria / Minecraft / anything with blocks", we've had this several times before, there's no need for it.

Edit: Also updated ye olde info-post, now with newest announcements bolded.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

6. Post #326
    Amazing, friendly, trustable and there for you when you're in deep shit
    March 2010
    3,651 Posts
    Terraria is the obvious choice to compare this game to so way not do it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

7. Post #327
    September 2009
    183 Posts
    I'm not trying to say that they shouldn't be compared, as they quite obviously have a lot of similarities, but there's no point in doing the whole back-and-forth about it.

8. Post #328
    Yandere Princess
    April 2010
    22,296 Posts
    Just because they're similar in appearance though doesn't mean they're going to be the same. Starbound sounds to be at least as different from Terraria as Terraria was from Minecraft.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #329
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,366 Posts
    http://forums.playstarbound.com/inde...e-2#post-45517
    Reason why there's no gameplay video and how they're developing the game.

Edited:

Ok, can anyone tell me why I got rated dumb?
    Because you haven't seen any content at all, except for the few things that got seen in some pictures.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

10. Post #330
    ?
    January 2006
    5,174 Posts
    Just because they're similar in appearance though doesn't mean they're going to be the same. Starbound sounds to be at least as different from Terraria as Terraria was from Minecraft.
    The difference between those comparisons, and what makes comparing Terraria to Starbound a valid comparison, is that those two are made by the same studio.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

11. Post #331
    Yandere Princess
    April 2010
    22,296 Posts
    Um... No? There's a single person working on Starbound that worked on Terraria. Tiy worked for Relogic, now he's working with his own team. They're not at all the same studio and I don't see how you could make that mistake.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #332
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,823 Posts
    You adventure, you get new stuff, you adventure more, you get more new stuff. There are NPCs you attract/find/build/whatever that help you acquire new stuff (or do things to your new stuff). The world(s) are randomly generated, and the game is multiplayer. It is 2d, with a similar (but more "mature") art style.

How the hell is Starbound so different from Terraria that you need to correct people everytime they say it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

13. Post #333
    July 2010
    3,963 Posts
    Would you guys drop this already? I'd rather have you guys argue over features and planets or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

14. Post #334
    September 2007
    953 Posts
    it'd be like me comparing super metroid to terraria, they are pretty similar and super metroid was much more fun. >_>

You adventure, you get new stuff, you adventure more, you get more new stuff. There are NPCs you attract/find/build/whatever that help you acquire new stuff (or do things to your new stuff). The world(s) are randomly generated, and the game is multiplayer. It is 2d, with a similar (but more "mature") art style.

How the hell is Starbound so different from Terraria that you need to correct people everytime they say it?
    k so battlefield 3, and modern warfare are the same as well i might assume? then why must both exist?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)

15. Post #335
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    8,060 Posts
    People sure get angry when someone states how similar Starbound seems to Terraria. Is it so hard to accept facts or is it somehow "disrespectful" to say so? Did someone even say it's a bad thing?
    I personally think it's excellent. Terraria had a really solid idea but it lacked something, variety! Starbound won't have that problem with the randomly generated planets and such. It will reign supreme.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

16. Post #336
    Amazing, friendly, trustable and there for you when you're in deep shit
    March 2010
    3,651 Posts
    It isn't a bad thing comparing them, just like comparing BF3 to MW3 isn't a bad thing if you do it in a mature fashion.

It's rather good to compare them since it makes it easier for people to understand what Starbound will be like and it's fun to discuss what might be different.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #337
    wtf am i reading
    June 2010
    15,938 Posts

There's also mining, vanity items, building block per block...

Edited:

Anyway
    http://www.indiegamemag.com/dont-get...pic-starbound/
    More stuff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Croatia Show Events

18. Post #338
    December 2010
    809 Posts
    I hope that you can create tools entirely out of the stuff you find in planets. It'd be cool way to make and share challenge maps. Also, I want to have a megaproject be that almost every planet I find will be converted into a specific genre. Like medieval fantasy? Medieval fantasy planet. Like the Dark Ages? Orbital strike and plant a virus.

19. Post #339
    I'm the only black guy on The Internet huh?
    March 2012
    864 Posts
    I hope there is a way to just colonize everything, I want to land on a planet, and destroy everything.
    Maybe even have your own death star type thing?

20. Post #340
    December 2010
    809 Posts
    I hope there is a way to just colonize everything, I want to land on a planet, and destroy everything.
    Maybe even have your own death star type thing?
    It would be neat to have a greenhouse-like ship that stores all of the life on the planet before you blow it up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

21. Post #341
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 11Winner Winner x 3 (list)

22. Post #342
    February 2010
    574 Posts
    Hopefully there'll be all water planets to land on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Late Late x 1 (list)

23. Post #343
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,803 Posts
    This picture probably alludes to that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 10Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #344
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    3,002 Posts
    Am I the only person on the planet who doesn't see the appeal of a single biome world?

Like, if they are going to do this, I hope they note that a habitable planet(hell, even inhabitable hellholes like Titan) usually have diversity in biomes and landscapes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Pakistan Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #345
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    2,063 Posts
    The only reason Terraria had a mixed world is because there WERE no other worlds to go to. This has a bunch of different planets to go to, so obviously they wouldn't mash all of the biomes together.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

26. Post #346
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,976 Posts
    Although multiple biomes on one planet would make more sense, I believe that would make each individual biome feel less unique after a while. To me it seems it'd be more unique to have a whole planet icey or such. It would also give each planet a personality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

27. Post #347
    Yandere Princess
    April 2010
    22,296 Posts
    But not every planet should have every biome. There should be different sets of biomes for each planet type. Like for an aquatic planet they should just have one big ocean but oceans, swamps and marshes, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #348
    Midna is hot stuff~
    October 2007
    2,712 Posts
    I, for one, know that I'll end up playing full 'nid on this; stripping planets down to the core and stealing away with their resources.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

29. Post #349
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,225 Posts
    I, for one, know that I'll end up playing full 'nid on this; stripping planets down to the core and stealing away with their resources.
    Don't forget to mass-extinct any alien species on it before you do!

30. Post #350
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    2,063 Posts
    Suddenly, Spore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

31. Post #351
    Midna is hot stuff~
    October 2007
    2,712 Posts
    But of course!

Everyone knows the only thing the 'nids leave is an empty husk of a world.

32. Post #352
    September 2007
    953 Posts
    i hope worlds will have seasons, like maybe a jungle world in its winter months might have fewer forms of life active while in the spring and summer you might get mauled by a wild manbearpig.

33. Post #353
    The Reapers?!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #354
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    2,711 Posts
    Somehow this picture turned the game into the hypest shit for me (in a good way.).

I've always been a sucker for underwater stuff anyways
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #355
    ASK ME ABOUT MY BACON FETISH
    September 2008
    1,043 Posts
    I like how the armor and stuff looks like in the concept art. This game looks really fun, I hope there is a shitload/infinite amount of planets so you can, say, destroy one and not feel bad because there would be another similar one nearby that you could colonize

36. Post #356
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,803 Posts
    The Reapers?!
    That and the Tyranids, who have similar agendas but don't seem to have any sense of conservation or cultivation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

37. Post #357
    July 2010
    3,963 Posts
    That and the Tyranids, who have similar agendas but don't seem to have any sense of conservation or cultivation.
    Holy shit, imagine if they add chars and civs from other games. Coming out from warp drive, you're a few hundred kilometers from space marines fleet.

Or if you find space marines on planet. I mean, some organized military force would be nice to deal with, not necessarily hostile, but not friendly either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

38. Post #358
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,803 Posts
    I dunno about straight-up characters/civs from other games, since there might be legal issues concerning IP, but parodies would be possible, yes.

Still it'd be cool to find a crashed ship full of alien parasites, which could be studied for their acidic blood and whatnot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

39. Post #359
    July 2010
    3,963 Posts
    I dunno about straight-up characters/civs from other games, since there might be legal issues concerning IP, but parodies would be possible, yes.

Still it'd be cool to find a crashed ship full of alien parasites, which could be studied for their acidic blood and whatnot.
    Well yeah, obviously not straight up copying, but IP stuff aside, there's not much room to draw space marines differently.

The sandbox games benefit from it, it really fits them to have varied stuff, and since we're talking space here, anything can be there. They could even have a planet with crashed SR-1 as an easter egg as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #360
    February 2010
    574 Posts
    I'm pretty sure valve would be cool with letting them borrow a few things.

Imagine landing on a planet that's like Xen. And it's full of headcrab penguin zombies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)