1. Post #1

June 2011
    492 Posts
    So hey guys,

Since it seems everyone is doing build logs, I might as well finally finish mine on Facepunch and get my PC up to spec in comparison with other peoples builds. No pictures yet because I haven't started, but I figure I'll strip down my Chassis in the next 4 hours or so, get everything cleaned up and do work with my dremel. I'll be posting pics with my laptop, and uploading low-res pics from my phone to facebook in which Wingless will help C+P into here.

EDIT: Full list of specifications:

CPU: Intel 980X Batch 3005F803T with EK Supreme HF Jetplate #2 full nickel.
    MB: Asus Rampage III Extreme, with EK Full cover acetal nickel waterblock.
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 24GB C9-9-9-24 1T. Or Corsair Dominator-GT 3x2GB DDR3-2000 @ c8-9-8-24 1T. (V7.1 rev, PSC IC's)
    GPU: 2x Vanilla EVGA GTX580 with EK Full cover GTX480 waterblock, acetal nickel. Custom flashed bios for 0% fan, and custom 2D voltages.
    Case: Corsair 800D with modified top to fit the quad 120 radiator.
    Sound: Asus Xonar "Xense"
    PSU: Corsair AX1200
    SSD: 2x OCZ Agility 3 120GB in raid-0, various other storage drives.
    Cooling: 2x Black Ice GTX480 radiators fitted with 4 panaflo 2800RPM fans at around 1200-1600rpm 24/7 each radiator, fan controlled by a Lamptron FC5 v2, EK waterblocks all around, bitspower rotary compression fittings, bitspower 90o adapters, and then Enzotech Compression fittings for mostly everything else. My resivoir is a Dual 5.25" bay dual pump XSPC res for 2x DDC/MCP pumps;
    The reason I'm not running dual loop anymore was because..... one of the MCP355's I had failed pretty bad, nearly took my CPU down with it, the tubing was scorching hot, luckily it didn't burst, and the system BSOD'd due to instability at around 80c core temp. ( was at 4.4ghz with 1.42v )

MISC: I'm using a Koolance radiator bracket at the back, with a 120-140mm adapter, and the fan is one of those Kaze slipstreams which have a 140mm diameter, but uses 120mm fan hole spacing. Which is why I can get the Koolance bracket to fit.

Tubing size I believe is 1/2"ID 5/8" OD.

So yeah,

here's some teaser pics from awhile back. I believe it's been nearly 8 months since I last re-did my system. I never really finished the cut on the top of my 800D for the quad 120 radiator I have but yeah... so here ya go.

Waterblocks that I'm "re-using"

Pictures from my shitty HD2 that I took since the last re-build:

stack of 5 panaflo 2800rpm 38CM fans I'm using. ( I have a total of 7, and don't ask why not 8 )

And the first time I've sleeved a cable.

And yes, I'm poor so I'm using my GTX480 blocks on my GTX580's. The only thing I need to worry about is VRM's, but I have that covered.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Winner Winner x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,516 Posts
    too 'poor' to afford watercooling for your 580s, first world problems huh?

anyway looks really awesome :) can we have some more pics of the boxes of things? I just love like, tech stuff packaging
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3

June 2011
    492 Posts
    too 'poor' to afford watercooling for your 580s, first world problems huh?

anyway looks really awesome :) can we have some more pics of the boxes of things? I just love like, tech stuff packaging
    haha, myt 580s are watercooled, I just dont have the "right" blocks for it, long story short, I took on the EVGA step up program from the 480s to the 580s, Wasn't able to sell the blocks, so I just ended up using the 480 block onto the 580, apart from some minute differences which by simply using thicker thermal pads, it's pretty much a simple bolt on. However, the new 580 block revisions from EK uses a pin matrix for better cooling of the GPU die, but idling at 30c and load temps of under 50c is nothing to worry about haha.

These parts are nearly 2 years old now, luckily I preserve all of my packaging. I'll see if I can dig up my unboxing pictures / videos of them, I'm pretty sure I still have an unboxing video up somewhere.

But anyways here are the pictures as promised: I almost have the case all stripped down, I'm just making sure I'm keeping stuff organized. As I can't have the rig down for more than a day.

Proof that they are under water :D

High FPI radiators have one downside, it acts like a filter for dust. I suppose I need over 3 cans of dust off to get it all cleared out, I could wash it down, but it takes a long time to dry so...

SOOO ROOOMY.

PS: These pics were taken with my 4S, so picture quality is meh, once I start putting everything back together, I'll have better dslr pics
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    January 2012
    77 Posts
    and you have a 4s? you're not poor bro lol

5. Post #5
    Are those panoflow quiet but good pressure. I noticed they are like 38mm thick or something

6. Post #6

June 2011
    492 Posts
    and you have a 4s? you're not poor bro lol
    Meant to be a joke haha.

Edited:

Are those panoflow quiet but good pressure. I noticed they are like 38mm thick or something
    They tick around 1300rpm, minimum starting point of these fans are around 1000rpm. At 2800rpm, they move a ton of air, but these fans aren't necessarily quiet. Maybe the lower rpm variants are not as loud, I don't know.

You only hear AIR moving a bit of a hum of the fans, its quieter compared to a 5870 reference cooler at 80% that's for sure, but they are still a bit annoying at 1200rpm.

I made a stupid choice on fans, I should have went with Gentle Typhoons 1800rpm.

7. Post #7
    I'm still very picky on fans. I like my Enermax T.B. Silences though. At one meter, I can't tell if they are on or off.

8. Post #8

June 2011
    492 Posts
    I'm still very picky on fans. I like my Enermax T.B. Silences though. At one meter, I can't tell if they are on or off.
    Hm, good fans, but they are still too slow for my liking, and don't seem to have good pressure for thicker / higher FPI radiators like mine.

Gentletyphoons on my rads even at 1400rpm will be quiet enough for daily operation, and have great air/water deltas.

GT's are the best fans for rads so far. there are a few that comes close to it but yeah... only problem, they are expensive and hard to get the 1800rpm variants.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,907 Posts
    You don't realize how loud fans normally are until you buy some really quiet ones.

Good build log man. I like the look of the machine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #10

June 2011
    492 Posts
    You don't realize how loud fans normally are until you buy some really quiet ones.

Good build log man. I like the look of the machine.
    Haha yeah, I recently got cleaned up a few dell systems I had laying around. They are PWM 4000rpm nidec fans which are SUPER quiet at 800-1000rpm. 38mm thick which would be perfect for radiators. Except, I dont have 4 of those, but rather only 2, so that's not plausible to take them out. Plus that would mean those two systems wont be usable. ( proprietary fan connectors, will need to bring out my soldering iron.

11. Post #11
    Hm, good fans, but they are still too slow for my liking, and don't seem to have good pressure for thicker / higher FPI radiators like mine.

Gentletyphoons on my rads even at 1400rpm will be quiet enough for daily operation, and have great air/water deltas.

GT's are the best fans for rads so far. there are a few that comes close to it but yeah... only problem, they are expensive and hard to get the 1800rpm variants.
    If they had these in higher pressure but same noise, maybe wider blades that overlapped would help. I know they make low FPI rads which I may end up going with because GT's aren't quiet enough for me or tick like mad from what i've seen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12

June 2011
    492 Posts
    If they had these in higher pressure but same noise, maybe wider blades that overlapped would help. I know they make low FPI rads which I may end up going with because GT's aren't quiet enough for me or tick like mad from what i've seen.
    Gotcha,

Go with the Black ice SR-1's, They are the best performer around 800-1400rpm, and will work great for fans which lower pressure. ( The radiator itself acts like a shroud, so it'll work great )

Also, I know why my CPU temps aeren't as good as before. I put wayy to much TIM, and it doesn't seem like it cured well. Pics to represent my idiot mistake:

Also, I have decided against finishing up the cut on my 800D. I don't think there will be enough steel left to properly support the rads if I cut it up so the fans can fit against my grill. Maybe when I get a proper fan grill I will finish up the cut.

13. Post #13

June 2011
    492 Posts
    Making progress. Time to start leak testing. Wish me luck :o

14. Post #14
    Man, I need to watercool. But I don't want to spend 325 dollars to watercool my lightnings

15. Post #15

June 2011
    492 Posts
    haah.

anyways almost done bleeding, doesn't seem to be any leaks. I usually leak test for about 30 minutes, then I work on the cabling and make sure theres no leaks, then I leak test for another 30 minutes. I dont believe in the 12 hour leak test, you need to stress the system with heat cold cycles, so I generally keep my pc in the living room for about a day, before I move it to my room.

My phone is uploading a short video now.

Edited:

Here's that crappy phone video:

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,667 Posts
    That's pretty cool. Not as cool as Milky's buildlogs (though not much rivals those in my opinion), but damn that's nice.

Do you plan on sleeving all the cables?

17. Post #17

June 2011
    492 Posts
    That's pretty cool. Not as cool as Milky's buildlogs (though not much rivals those in my opinion), but damn that's nice.

Do you plan on sleeving all the cables?
    Milky is awesome, no point in comparing my systems to his, when they are for different methods.

No use in doing it for this build. This is just my personal project, once I start on a system, I shall have more time to get it the exact way I want it. I was on a time crunch for this one ( since i was just simply cleaning and re-doing the loops ) so I didn't exactly make it neat.

Although, this is probably the cleanest route I did for my system, if you want pics, ask for them, the system is sitting quietly next to me. With water temps of 23C from the 1st radiator, and cpu temps idling at 19c on most of the cores. Fans are at 1200rpm, with my MCP35x at 40% PWM and the MCP355 pumping along at 100%

Here's the larger photo of the complete tubing routing look. Cable management is ALOT neater now than before. I suppose I can hit 4.5ghz once again with good temps, but having 6 high density sticks of ram is limiting my IMC. I'm not an idiot so I won't run 1.4v on the VTT/QPI on a 32nm processor.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,667 Posts
    I'll wait for you to have your DSLR back, but it looks pretty great. Cable management is a town in Russia for my case.

19. Post #19

June 2011
    492 Posts
    I'll wait for you to have your DSLR back, but it looks pretty great. Cable management is a town in Russia for my case.

Lol, I have it, I just, well, I didn't take any pictures. However, I'll hook up some cold cathods and make a video if that's what you guys want. I swear the system is at least 80 pounds, potentially 100.

20. Post #20

April 2011
    4,517 Posts
    Lol, I have it, I just, well, I didn't take any pictures. However, I'll hook up some cold cathods and make a video if that's what you guys want. I swear the system is at least 80 pounds, potentially 100.
    I'm guessing that's cause of how much coolant you have in it.

21. Post #21
    Not sure if it was mentioned but can you make a list of all the equipment and components you're using. Maybe in OP

22. Post #22

June 2011
    492 Posts
    Not sure if it was mentioned but can you make a list of all the equipment and components you're using. Maybe in OP

Sure BRT.

Good news, my flow-rates are fucking amazing now with my new loop order. Man, before even with the same pumps, I could barely see the water moving in my loop, now with my new setup, the flow rate is like a tornado / vortex in the res, and and the air bubbles still haven't gone. Temps are amazing too!

Also: OP updated :)

Edited:

I'm guessing that's cause of how much coolant you have in it.

If I'm not mistaken, the 800D itself is over 40 pounds. Add in the Hardrives, waterblocks, 2 radiators, PSU, gpu's it weighs a ton ( pun intended )

23. Post #23
    The 800D is 40lbs? Have people complained about the weight before with it? The Cosmos 2 is basically called an elephant on most forums. And it's only 7lbs more.

24. Post #24

June 2011
    492 Posts
    The 800D is 40lbs? Have people complained about the weight before with it? The Cosmos 2 is basically called an elephant on most forums. And it's only 7lbs more.

Shipping weight is around 44 pounds. So I suppose the case is most likely around 35 pounds. Add in the water, radiators, and various other pieces of pc stuff, I would say my pc is a good 80 pounds or more.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,635 Posts
    Shipping weight is around 44 pounds. So I suppose the case is most likely around 35 pounds. Add in the water, radiators, and various other pieces of pc stuff, I would say my pc is a good 80 pounds or more.
    God damn and i thought my PC was heavy.

26. Post #26

June 2011
    492 Posts
    Damn.

NVIDIA surround actually works, it's awesome. Except my windows start bar is all the way to the left. BF3 in surround pretty nice.. too bad im ay 1680x1050, instead of 1920x1080. My 3rd monitor is some really old ViewSonic, UGHH.

Oh yeah, I think i t's the first time my GPU's are really stressed too, I'm pulling 700watts from the wall, CPU is at stock, gpus at 1.138V @ 900/2125, VRAM usage is at constant 1500MB

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    This is looking great pure.Joseph! I'm glad you got a worklog up here and look forward to seeing more. One suggestion though, that's a great start to your sleeving however a tiny suggestion is to move the shrink so it sits up against the 'prongs' on the connector, that way you can easily make them all at a uniform level and it grips better meaning no shrink coming loose! I dunno if that made any sense at all, so take a look at this:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)