1. Post #1
    January 2012
    481 Posts
    I just had this idea last night and I spent quite a lot of time thinking about it,

Would it be possible to ever have a completely new Garry's Mod? Let's say, something that uses a totally new physics and graphics engine, has the possibility for HUGE maps and has integrated coding for all the stuff we consider to be troublesome with the current game engine, such as perfectly solid constraints, bug-free parenting, no speed limit, functional high RPM's for wheels any many many more. Better graphics combined with exponentially bigger maps (or even worlds) would open a whole new field for fast vehicles and RP-possibilities.
    The physics engine would not only emulate mechanics, but maybe some more niche-aspects like electricity, thermodynamics and aerodynamics? Who knows.

The problem I see is the huge amount of work required to create something like this, and the funding part comes in play as well — It would be a risk to take up a project like this and expect it to be popular. We have Minecraft; it's not very much comparable to GMod, I know that, but it has shown the potential popularity that sandbox-type games can achieve. They just need to be accessible enough for new players to enjoy it, and deep enough to allow more advanced players to build complex creations.

So, in addition to the question in the title, what would you personally love to see in a theoretical, new GMod?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 6Dumb Dumb x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    More efficient networking, god damn thats one of the most annoying things in Gmod as it is, two vehicles moving at once and pings spike hell, regardless of what server you're running it on or just how much bandwidth the server has.

By this i mean two heaps of props welded together moving around, not simple vehicles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

3. Post #3
    January 2012
    206 Posts
    this would be great . Stargate Carter's Pack addon would be very useful on huge maps

Valve i want this!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,635 Posts
    this would be great . Stargate Carter's Pack addon would be very useful on huge maps

Valve i want this!
    You know that Valve didn't make GMod, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

5. Post #5
    January 2012
    206 Posts
    oh yea it started as a sourcemod
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,635 Posts
    oh yea it started as a sourcemod
    It's still a mod for Source, really. Made by Garry and still maintained by Garry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    January 2012
    206 Posts
    but you dont need hl2 i got sourcemod ZPS because i have gmod lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,635 Posts
    but you dont need hl2 i got sourcemod ZPS because i have gmod lol
    You still need a Source (Valve) game to fire up GMod as you need Source SDK, I believe.

More efficient networking, god damn thats one of the most annoying things in Gmod as it is, two vehicles moving at once and pings spike hell, regardless of what server you're running it on or just how much bandwidth the server has.

By this i mean two heaps of props welded together moving around, not simple vehicles.
    Parenting helps this a lot as you can have tons of props moving without causing lag, but you still can't have 4-5 vehicles at about 100-200 props moving on most regular servers without spiking a ton.

9. Post #9
    January 2012
    481 Posts
    Valve obviously didn't create GMod from the scratch, but I don't see it impossible them take it up, like they did with DotA 2..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 10Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    JamieH is a retarded bitch <3
    July 2008
    2,213 Posts
    Valve obviously didn't create GMod from the scratch, but I don't see it impossible them take it up, like they did with DotA 2..
    Not completely unthinkable.

Some weird HL3 mod for 50 in 10 years ;)

11. Post #11
    October 2011
    542 Posts
    no wiremod?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chile Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,852 Posts
    I would like to see a physics engine that is maintained/not left to cause havoc for linux servers for almost 2 years

Edited:

and doesn't lag with constraints
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    I've been working on this for a couple years now, and it's catching speed fast, but it's still on the Source engine: http://code.google.com/p/hl2sb/

Resolves a lot of issues developers and gamers have with GMod as it is now, even in Beta 13.

So, perhaps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 10Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    January 2012
    165 Posts
    GTA IV's Rage Engine with Garry's Physics and Valve's Content? Interesting results we may see.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

15. Post #15
    January 2012
    481 Posts
    I've been working on this for a couple years now, and it's catching speed fast, but it's still on the Source engine: http://code.google.com/p/hl2sb/

Resolves a lot of issues developers and gamers have with GMod as it is now, even in Beta 13.

So, perhaps.
    Nice work, it's nice to see there are people trying this out
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    Nice work, it's nice to see there are people trying this out
    Thank you.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    142 Posts
    wow, after reading i am really imagining a hole word with gmod players, just think of it, 200-300 players on one server in a huge city, how cool would that be? damn..

think of the possibilties of gangs, the cops etc, how big groups could be what houses you could buy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Funny Funny x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    You still need a Source (Valve) game to fire up GMod as you need Source SDK, I believe.

Parenting helps this a lot as you can have tons of props moving without causing lag, but you still can't have 4-5 vehicles at about 100-200 props moving on most regular servers without spiking a ton.
    Yeah but parenting doesn't work so well when you want to use your vehicles with say ACF, and have a battle of some sort. Can't exactly parent the armor on a tank, normal cars sure but tanks no.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,635 Posts
    Yeah but parenting doesn't work so well when you want to use your vehicles with say ACF, and have a battle of some sort. Can't exactly parent the armor on a tank, normal cars sure but tanks no.

Yeah. Let's hope for either better networking or some optimization. Would love to see that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

20. Post #20
    Yeah. Let's hope for either better networking or some optimization. Would love to see that.
    Indeed, We shall see! Theres definitely some weird bottleneck somewhere cramping our stYLE
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    February 2012
    746 Posts
    The graphics could be shit for all I care, all I want are some stable welds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,972 Posts

So, perhaps.
    This actually seems quite awesome, but how can you open the spawnmenu (or anything else)? Because the only new thing I have noticed in the mod itself is the physgun, and the readme doesn't say anything

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,635 Posts
    Indeed, We shall see! Theres definitely some weird bottleneck somewhere cramping our stYLE
    I asked Garry this in the Update 12 thread.

Has anything in GMod 13 been optimized like the networking and calculations for physics stuff? Not sure if Garry has access to that stuff but it would be neat if it was optimized as it holds a lot of good stuff back.
    I don't know why you assume that it would have been left unoptimized?

Wooo?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

24. Post #24
    I asked Garry this in the Update 12 thread.

Wooo?
    My hope, it has reeturned

Aw shit now I'm even more hyped for GMod 13
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,635 Posts
    My hope, it has reeturned

Aw shit now I'm even more hyped for GMod 13
    Also Garry upped the limit of the RSO cap from 40,000 bytes to 120,000 bytes. Meaning that you'll now have to use 3 times the amount of props to RSO or, because Garry hasn't tested it yet, you won't RSO. Adding that with the new networking and optimization. hnnggg, so much more stuff will be possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Also Garry upped the limit of the RSO cap from 40,000 bytes to 120,000 bytes. Meaning that you'll now have to use 3 times the amount of props to RSO or, because Garry hasn't tested it yet, you won't RSO. Adding that with the new networking and optimization. hnnggg, so much more stuff will be possible.
    Yeah I saw some guy who had 9000 props in the map, and could still reconnect fine without overflows.
    Dawn of a new era and hopefully my tanks won't lag the shit out of my server
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,635 Posts
    Yeah I saw some guy who had 9000 props in the map, and could still reconnect fine without overflows.
    Dawn of a new era and hopefully my tanks won't lag the shit out of my server
    I think it was actually 12,000 props (sofas) before he started getting errors. Jesus Christ, I'm not even sure if anything can render 12,000 props static without lag. So many more possebiillliiittiiessss.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    I think it was actually 12,000 props (sofas) before he started getting errors. Jesus Christ, I'm not even sure if anything can render 12,000 props static without lag. So many more possebiillliiittiiessss.
    Quite nice indeed, can't wait for it!

I wonder when it's coming, not going to ask or anyone but pure speculation

29. Post #29
    September 2001
    12,435 Posts

So, perhaps.
    Sorry which of the Op's issues does HLSB fix? It's on an older engine and you only have SDK access.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Show Events Agree Agree x 2Zing Zing x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    JamieH is a retarded bitch <3
    July 2008
    2,213 Posts
    I don't know why you assume that it would have been left unoptimized?
    Does this mean it isn't unoptimized currently or it's now optimized in Gmod13?

I'm both dreading and looking forward to Gmod13, mainly because im lazy and cba to update my stuff :D

31. Post #31
    September 2001
    12,435 Posts
    My point is why would Valve leave their code unoptimized in the first place? What optimizations would I be able to make?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Bestest polish IFAPer
    February 2007
    5,101 Posts
    Gmod MMO

Imagine this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Romania Show Events Funny Funny x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,635 Posts
    My point is why would Valve leave their code unoptimized in the first place? What optimizations would I be able to make?
    I think generally optimizing the networking in GMod would be neat. Not sure how you would get around doing it but it feels like a bottleneck. You can have a great server but 30-40 moving props at once and stuff goes dead with spikes everywhere. If there are any ways to optimize the physics calculations, that would be neat too. I guess it's worth a look.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,852 Posts
    why would valve leave linux vehicles broken for 2 years?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

35. Post #35
    Well we already have RP servers, so how could we do a MMO

36. Post #36
    Bestest polish IFAPer
    February 2007
    5,101 Posts
    MMO =/= RP ya silly.

Massively Multiplayer Online means there are HUNDREDS of people on a single server /game world.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Romania Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    I think generally optimizing the networking in GMod would be neat. Not sure how you would get around doing it but it feels like a bottleneck. You can have a great server but 30-40 moving props at once and stuff goes dead with spikes everywhere. If there are any ways to optimize the physics calculations, that would be neat too. I guess it's worth a look.
    Yeah generally rates/tickrate doesn't seem to matter in garrysmod, you can have an infinite amount of bandwidth and no lack of cpu power serverside but still end up getting choke when theres too much stuff going on. Which really doesn't make sense when theres so much left to utilize.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    February 2012
    746 Posts
    Yeah generally rates/tickrate doesn't seem to matter in garrysmod, you can have an infinite amount of bandwidth and no lack of cpu power serverside but still end up getting choke when theres too much stuff going on. Which really doesn't make sense when theres so much left to utilize.
    I don't think garry could do much with that, those are really the limitations of the engine.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,635 Posts
    I don't think garry could do much with that, those are really the limitations of the engine.
    I believe Garry has access to the engine, which is why GMod 13 runs on a custom engine.dll and allowing him to do all the fancy stuff as upping RSO cap.

40. Post #40
    February 2012
    746 Posts
    I believe Garry has access to the engine, which is why GMod 13 runs on a custom engine.dll and allowing him to do all the fancy stuff as upping RSO cap.
    Maybe he does, I just know mod developers don't and I am not aware of any special privileges for garry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)