1. Post #1
    Japanese Cerberus
    Dennab
    August 2011
    8,076 Posts
    So basically, Half Life 2 is easy as fuck, right?

[h2]NO.[/h2]

I made a config edit that makes the game infuriatingly hard and I'm going to stream it so anyone interested in seeing what Half-Life 2 might have been with a higher difficulty setting. There's a lot of fun stuff going on in the game such as using the Gravity Gun and making traps, stuff that you don't need to do in normal Half-Life 2 due to it's low difficulty.

Basically, metrocops are actually dangerous now along with manhacks. Hell, even headcrabs are a hazard to look out for.

[h2]UPDATE[/h2]
    After the test recording, I found another bug. This time it streamed, but slight audio desync and some weird screen glitching was discovered. I'm probably going to do this in Fraps instead. Sorry guys for the inconvenience.

2. Post #2
    March 2010
    1,552 Posts
    can you put up a download so that the rest of us might use this config?

3. Post #3
    Japanese Cerberus
    Dennab
    August 2011
    8,076 Posts
    can you put up a download so that the rest of us might use this config?
    Sure. However, there's a problem with Steam and the way it handles Half-Life games. If you try to use this config in vanilla HL2, it seems to be overwritten by the normal difficulty files in the .gcf Steam has. I'm currently using it in the closest "vanilla" mod, FakeFactory with no custom models, music or weapons. The graphical modification actually made the gameplay all the better.

The test stream last night seemed to have a lot of connection issues, so i'll test stream all day with someone to see if I can even get it working.
    My config is here.

4. Post #4
    Official worst poster 2011
    June 2007
    8,594 Posts
    Sure. However, there's a problem with Steam and the way it handles Half-Life games. If you try to use this config in vanilla HL2, it seems to be overwritten by the normal difficulty files in the .gcf Steam has. I'm currently using it in the closest "vanilla" mod, FakeFactory with no custom models, music or weapons. The graphical modification actually made the gameplay all the better.

The test stream last night seemed to have a lot of connection issues, so i'll test stream all day with someone to see if I can even get it working.
    My config is here.
    That's odd

I have a custom script I downloaded from Gamebanana for difficulty modifying, but it works fine, and HL2's GCF isn't overwriting it.

5. Post #5
    Japanese Cerberus
    Dennab
    August 2011
    8,076 Posts
    That's odd

I have a custom script I downloaded from Gamebanana for difficulty modifying, but it works fine, and HL2's GCF isn't overwriting it.
    It wouldn't have been Half Life 2: Nuzlocke, would it now?

6. Post #6
    Official worst poster 2011
    June 2007
    8,594 Posts
    It wouldn't have been Half Life 2: Nuzlocke, would it now?
    No, actually it came with a weapon-skinpack that had an optional script to modify weapons damages and also make NPC weapons do the same damage as the players'.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,080 Posts
    Make the config file read-only after you place it in, that should prevent steam from overwriting it. I remember liblist.gam having a similar problem in Svencoop, back in the Entmod days, and that's how we got metamod to load.

8. Post #8
    Japanese Cerberus
    Dennab
    August 2011
    8,076 Posts
    Make the config file read-only after you place it in, that should prevent steam from overwriting it. I remember liblist.gam having a similar problem in Svencoop, back in the Entmod days, and that's how we got metamod to load.
    Huh, I wonder if that'll work. Thanks for the tip, anyway.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,429 Posts
    holy shit blast to the past.