1. Post #1
    October 2010
    834 Posts
    Hey, music section. Since this place is the most fitting, I decided to post this here.
    When I was 10, I discovered a music genre that I absolutely loved. Heavy Metal. Throughout the years until age 16 I listened to nothing but metal. I discovered bands like Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Sabaton, Megadeth, Amon Amarth and plenty of more. When I was mid-16, I started listening to other genres and gradually listened to less and less of the metal genre and subgenres.
    Today, 18, I just don't enjoy it anymore. I still think a lot of the bands are talented, I loved the shit out of them, but I just can't bring myself to enjoy most of it as much as I used to.
    Same thing happened with my friend who loved Rap and Hip-Hop.

So, Facepunch, has anything like this happened to you too?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Agree Agree x 19Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    641 Posts
    I'm not sure if "growing out" is a good way to put it. Atleast for me it seems as if I progressed. First starting with some Heavy Metal -> All forms of Black/Death Metal -> Anarcho Punk.

Now I'm just finding music across all spectrum's that have lyrics and meanings that appeal to me.

3. Post #3
    October 2010
    834 Posts
    I'm not sure if "growing out" is a good way to put it. Atleast for me it seems as if I progressed. First starting with some Heavy Metal -> All forms of Black/Death Metal -> Anarcho Punk.

Now I'm just finding music across all spectrum's that have lyrics and meanings that appeal to me.
    Yeah, I thought it wasn't that good of a way to put it, which is why I put it in quotation marks. Just the closest thing I could think of. vv

4. Post #4
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    I grew out of metal
    I still listen to bands like Lamb Of God occasionally but I've kind of turned my back on most of it now

Edited:

also getting sick of being told about the whole metal has thousands of genres stuff
    I'll just stick with the music I like now instead of sifting through worthless genres of metal I would have never liked in the first place
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 10Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,926 Posts
    Agreed with metal. It sort of dawned on me that 98% of the bands get their kicks from sounding the same as everyone else. Some of it is still enjoyable though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 10Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    yeah I'd never disown it but I would say I grew out of it

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    4,710 Posts
    i never looked at favorite genres as a thing set in stone, more like a thing that is always changing like some kind of music space cloud
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    that's rad as fuck
    what he said

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    4,710 Posts
    yeah man like i would say im a metalhead but out there during the day i can listen to anything and feel great about it

Edited:

Edited:

Edited:

Edited:

specially like prog music and jazz and old blues and sometimes even classic hip hop

10. Post #10
    YOU'RE NOT ONE OF THOSE PRANCY FANCY DOLPHINS ARE YOU
    September 2009
    1,279 Posts
    I used to be a massive metalhead, but then I discovered electronic music and I actually found some hip hop stuff that interests me. I do still listen to metal, but not nearly as much as I used to and it's mostly Tool as opposed to a lot of thrash stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    17,884 Posts
    I haven't grown out of any music genre yet, but I have expanded my music taste quite a lot.
    I currently started exploring genres I never listened to because it isn't cool, to hell with that.
    Nowadays I just listen to what I enjoy.

I don't have a favourite genre by the way, just two or three genres that I prefer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

12. Post #12
    April 2010
    7,643 Posts
    I was a KROQ kid from about 13-14, but then I was introduced to Nine Inch Nails and Skinny Puppy and turned off the radio. Now I just listen to what sounds interesting. to me.

13. Post #13
    Stuff done did
    October 2011
    13,635 Posts
    Well, I went from liking MSI to liking baths, seems like a pretty big difference to me.

MSI - Punk rock I guess?

baths - Electronic something, I don't even know.

14. Post #14
    q0q
    February 2012
    699 Posts
    Well, I went from liking MSI to liking baths, seems like a pretty big difference to me.

MSI - Punk rock I guess?

baths - Electronic something, I don't even know.

baths = chillwave/dreampop
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Informative Informative x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,690 Posts
    seems like the same story for a lot of people here.

But how do people get obsessed with metal from THAT young of an age?
    I do remember listening to Rammstein then but that's probably the most metal I had listened to. If you can even call it that.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    17,884 Posts
    Ensiferum was the first metal band I heard at the age of perhaps 13 or 14.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    Mon
    April 2011
    4,102 Posts
    i remember going through a major metal phase in grade 7
    grew out of that pretty fast
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    January 2010
    9,764 Posts

I do remember listening to Rammstein then but that's probably the most metal I had listened to. If you can even call it that.
    I had a friend who listened to Metallica in like, 4th grade.
    Edit: He listens to stuff like A7X and Five Finger Death Punch nowadays tho
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,690 Posts
    I had a friend who listened to Metallica in like, 4th grade.
    Maybe his brother had a metal collection then he followed suit.

As a kid, there's not much you can do in terms of realising what is out there unless you are lucky enough to have a close relative or friend to show you it.

20. Post #20
    January 2010
    9,764 Posts
    Maybe his brother had a metal collection then he followed suit.

As a kid, there's not much you can do in terms of realising what is out there unless you are lucky enough to have a close relative or friend to show you it.
    He only has a younger brother and judging his parent they likely don't listen to metal.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,690 Posts
    He only has a younger brother and judging his parent they likely don't listen to metal.
    any relative/friend can give you music you know.

22. Post #22
    January 2010
    9,764 Posts
    any relative/friend can give you music you know.
    I have no idea about his family outside his home , but no-one in any class I've taken besides like 2 people listened or had any knowledge of heavy metal, so unless he had friends outside of school, that rules out the possibility of friends.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,690 Posts
    It really doesn't matter. At least he wasn't given Merzbow at 8.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

24. Post #24
    January 2010
    9,764 Posts
    Where I live music is dominated by pop and country with a hint of both pop-punk and classic rock.

So the chances of listening to metal at that age are like 1/1000
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,450 Posts

It's the mindset that metal music gives you, you think it's badass, you think it's hardcore, you think it's the best shit to ever happen.

Panda gave me a nice story that almost anyone whose listened to metal goes through.

You find Metallica or Slayer or one of the big 4. You become hooked on said bands for a while before you decided to branch out a bit into death metal or metalcore or black metal. You become hooked on that genre for a bit until you find progressive metal, this is where your attitude towards music changes, you start to look for song writing and technicality or something like that and find electronic music or post-rock. Then you're pretty much matured musically and you start to find stuff you REALLY like.

I've noticed that style of progression is common. It may not be exactly like that, but most people go through it.

Edited:

Me? I found post-rock and moved straight back into post-metal, although I'm trying to go through trip-hop and trance music right now.

I still listen to and like the metal stuff I listened to 3 years ago, just not as frequently.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Memento audere semper- audaces fortuna iuvat.
    February 2010
    7,896 Posts
    Yeah, it's absolutely normal. I remember myself enjoying alternative rock bands back in the day. I still consider many of them my very favourites, even while during the years I moved to very different genres. That said, If asked, I still put Three Days Grace as my alltime favourite, but I don't listen to them and doing it doesn't have the same.. feel anymore.

27. Post #27
    meow
    Dennab
    February 2012
    3,083 Posts
    I grew out of metal
    I still listen to bands like Lamb Of God occasionally but I've kind of turned my back on most of it now

Edited:

also getting sick of being told about the whole metal has thousands of genres stuff
    I'll just stick with the music I like now instead of sifting through worthless genres of metal I would have never liked in the first place
    Everybody grows out on metal. We've all seen the filmclip of Enter Sandman and got exited, got into metal and then realised the shitty stereotype and got bored of distorted guitars and blastbeats.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Blue Member
    July 2010
    2,766 Posts
    Technically everyone is "multi-genre" at first.

It's not until you grow a bit that you become "prejudiced". Then you grow even more, to where you want to do some exploring.

29. Post #29
    meow
    Dennab
    February 2012
    3,083 Posts
    It's the mindset that metal music gives you, you think it's badass, you think it's hardcore, you think it's the best shit to ever happen.

Panda gave me a nice story that almost anyone whose listened to metal goes through.

You find Metallica or Slayer or one of the big 4. You become hooked on said bands for a while before you decided to branch out a bit into death metal or metalcore or black metal. You become hooked on that genre for a bit until you find progressive metal, this is where your attitude towards music changes, you start to look for song writing and technicality or something like that and find electronic music or post-rock. Then you're pretty much matured musically and you start to find stuff you REALLY like.

I've noticed that style of progression is common. It may not be exactly like that, but most people go through it.

Edited:

Me? I found post-rock and moved straight back into post-metal, although I'm trying to go through trip-hop and trance music right now.

I still listen to and like the metal stuff I listened to 3 years ago, just not as frequently.
    pretty much this

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,450 Posts
    Everybody grows out on metal. We've all seen the filmclip of Enter Sandman and got exited, got into metal and then realised the shitty stereotype and got bored of distorted guitars and blastbeats.
    There's good stuff in there, is just a lot of it is very similar to other stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Memento audere semper- audaces fortuna iuvat.
    February 2010
    7,896 Posts
    I've been through a lot of stuff, but what I really can't get out of is Metalcore/Deathcore. It's been 6 years now, 2 that I am a singer/songwriter of that genre. Don't judge me

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,690 Posts
    Technically everyone is "multi-genre" at first.

It's not until you grow a bit that you become "prejudiced". Then you grow even more, to where you want to do some exploring.
    Exactly. Although most of the time the prejudice grows out of how you grew up as a kid.

33. Post #33
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    I like stuff like Cloudkicker
    That's metal I still dig.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Brosef Johnson
    December 2008
    6,638 Posts
    Metalcore / Post Hardcore all day. But recently I've been getting into indie / rock and that kind of stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,450 Posts
    I like stuff like Cloudkicker
    That's metal I still dig.
    That's because Cloudkicker is a fucking genius.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Dennab
    December 2011
    5,623 Posts
    Meh I've kinda grown out of metal, to be honest most metal just seems to ride on the whole "aggression" that spawned the genre and most bands never go much further than making energetic angry music, that's why I like The Ocean, Townsend and most post rock and prog metal and shit, they tend to try and harness that shit and channel into something more advanced than just "I'm so angry I'm gonna smash some power chords with a few good riffs and then do a wanky guitar solo followed by a drum break and then back into the chorus"

That being since I still grin like a cheshire cat when the riff kicks in during Hacrides track My Enemy.

37. Post #37
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    That's because Cloudkicker is a fucking genius.
    I wouldn't say genius but it's pretty great considering it's one guy

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,450 Posts
    Hacride aren't a "IM SO ANGRY" band though.

Edited:

I wouldn't say genius but it's pretty great considering it's one guy
    His latest album. So good.

39. Post #39
    Dennab
    December 2011
    5,623 Posts
    Yeah I know they're proggy as fuck but still they combine the more advanced elements with the "I'm gonna fist you til you bleed" power and energy.

Cheshire cat moments incoming.

40. Post #40
    MyBigBoner.com
    March 2009
    4,547 Posts
    I too moved out from metal. It's mostly post-rock now.