1. Post #121
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,897 Posts
    I got into metal with Metallica, Maiden and Sabbath, then Dream Theatre, then Yngwie Malmsteem, then pretty much everything else. Now all my friends pretty much just listen to metal and are disgusted that I have a "Fleetwood Mac" folder on my phone

2. Post #122
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    17,968 Posts
    rofl metal elitist

Music elitists are the worst and are also probably the worst thing to ever happen to music.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

3. Post #123
    July 2009
    4,278 Posts
    I got into metal with Metallica, Maiden and Sabbath, then Dream Theatre, then Yngwie Malmsteem, then pretty much everything else. Now all my friends pretty much just listen to metal and are disgusted that I have a "Fleetwood Mac" folder on my phone
    How can you hate on Fleetwood Mac? What the fuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #124
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,820 Posts
    There will always be hatred for music one way or another. Always, no way around it.

5. Post #125
    February 2012
    6 Posts
    The same thing happened to me with heavy metal. I used to wear all black and nothing but metal shirts, I had really long hair... But, it was almost like I woke up one day not liking it anymore. It almost got old to me. Kind of like if you eat the same thing for lunch everyday, the taste just gets bland and you think "I want something different today". Now, that's not to say I don't enjoy the occasional blasting of Metallica's "Whiplash" or "Phantom Lord", but that very rarely happens anymore, as opposed to when I used to listen to the album Kill 'Em All at least twice a day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #126
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    17,968 Posts
    I already get bored halfway through one Metallica song.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #127
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,821 Posts
    rofl metal elitist

Music elitists are the worst and are also probably the worst thing to ever happen to music.
    I dunno man hipsters are pretty bad too...either way it's a god damn nightmare trying to have a logical discussion with one about music.

8. Post #128
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    16,747 Posts
    I dunno man hipsters are pretty bad too...either way it's a god damn nightmare trying to have a logical discussion with one about music.
    When The Mighty Rio Grande was used in Moneyball I was like "Holy shit, I've been listening to TWDY forever! So awesome to hear them in this movie." Everyone else was acting like someone shit in their cereal. "WHYYYYYYYYYYY I WAS LISTENING TO THIS BEFORE IT WAS COOL"

9. Post #129
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,933 Posts
    Hipsters in the technical sense don't even exist anymore (someone who dislikes something solely due to its popularity), I'm not sure what you're complaining about. I mean, the associated culture still exists but I don't see why there'd be an issue having a musical conversation with one.

Even if you know someone who genuinely dislikes something sheerly out of its popularity, then that's simply musical elitism as well.

10. Post #130
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,821 Posts
    Hipsters in the technical sense don't even exist anymore (someone who dislikes something solely due to its popularity), I'm not sure what you're complaining about. I mean, the associated culture still exists but I don't see why there'd be an issue having a musical conversation with one.

Even if you know someone who genuinely dislikes something sheerly out of its popularity, then that's simply musical elitism as well.
    And each comes with their own kind of annoying. I think it's the pretentiousness of hipsters that gets to me, similar to progressive elitists.

11. Post #131
    February 2005
    16,747 Posts
    And each comes with their own kind of annoying. I think it's the pretentiousness of hipsters that gets to me, similar to progressive elitists.
    For me, it's the scarfs.

Really guys? It's not even that cold.

12. Post #132
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,821 Posts
    For me, it's the scarfs.

Really guys? It's not even that cold.
    If we're going to debate aesthetics then for me it's those stupid fucking glasses. Hideously thick-rimmed, and more recently, not even functional. Just a fugly accessory to go with an already bad wardrobe.

13. Post #133
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,933 Posts
    I don't see what that has to do with music, though. I think you're in the wrong for assuming just because someone meets a certain stereotype at first glance that they're immediately going to be annoying and elitist. I know numerous people who would probably count as hipsters and if anything I find musical discussions with them more rewarding than otherwise.

14. Post #134
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,821 Posts
    I don't see what that has to do with music, though. I think you're in the wrong for assuming just because someone meets a certain stereotype at first glance that they're immediately going to be annoying and elitist. I know numerous people who would probably count as hipsters and if anything I find musical discussions with them more rewarding than otherwise.
    I generally wait for the pretentious comments before I make that judgement.
    I do, admittedly, find the wardrobe extremely annoying though. Something about it just irks me.

15. Post #135
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,933 Posts
    If we're going to debate aesthetics then for me it's those stupid fucking glasses. Hideously thick-rimmed, and more recently, not even functional. Just a fugly accessory to go with an already bad wardrobe.
    And that's entirely down to opinion. I happen to wear glasses that fit that description... and they are functional, am I immediately invalidated as a person? This isn't even a musical discussion.

16. Post #136
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,821 Posts
    And that's entirely down to opinion. I happen to wear glasses that fit that description... and they are functional, am I immediately invalidated as a person? This isn't even a musical discussion.
    No it's not, and no that doesn't invalidate you as a person. But I do also know people that literally got fake, gigantic-rimmed glasses for no real reason.

And in any case, back to music...the one genre I really just stopped listening to was any form of death metal. Sure, I enjoy the occasional relapse into Opeth or Wintersun for a while, but I just don't like most of it anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #137
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,474 Posts
    Metal elitists annoy me more than hipsters.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 7Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #138
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,821 Posts
    They're even with me
    Somewhere around the 9th ring of hell, give or take

19. Post #139
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,933 Posts
    At least hipsters tend to be musically open-minded. Metal elitists outright refuse and even joke about anything that isn't metal.

20. Post #140
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,821 Posts
    At least hipsters tend to be musically open-minded. Metal elitists outright refuse and even joke about anything that isn't metal.
    Touche
    Really the only genres I'm not fond of are hip-hop, rnb, funk, and disco. Just never liked the way they sound.

21. Post #141
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,474 Posts
    This is pretty much why I don't like them.

22. Post #142
    February 2005
    16,747 Posts
    I was making a joke, but it's really not funny for anyone but me because I live in Colorado and perpetually wear a hoodie over a t-shirt and hear people complain how cold it is all the time here. :/

E: But thick, useless glasses are totally stupid, yeah.

23. Post #143
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,291 Posts
    metal elitists are usually hilarious because in my experience, they're the ones with the most conservative and "safe" tastes in metal (I can only presume because they've got really rigid (and retarded) ideas of what is "true" metal)

Oh, and as it happens, I don't like Fleetwood Mac lol. Don't exactly hate them but I'd probably change station if one of their songs came on the radio.

24. Post #144
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,474 Posts
    metal elitists are usually hilarious because in my experience, they're the ones with the most conservative and "safe" tastes in metal (I can only presume because they've got really rigid (and retarded) ideas of what is "true" metal)

Oh, and as it happens, I don't like Fleetwood Mac lol. Don't exactly hate them but I'd probably change station if one of their songs came on the radio.
    People who listen to the -core metals have a more open minded taste than metal elitists, which is hilarious since metal elitists hate the people who listen to those genres.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #145
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    17,968 Posts
    People who listen to the -core metals have a more open minded taste than metal elitists, which is hilarious since metal elitists hate the people who listen to those genres.

26. Post #146
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,474 Posts
    Hi. Yes, I know, no actually I don't, what?

27. Post #147
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    6,792 Posts
    Hi. Yes, I know, no actually I don't, what?
    I'm gonna take a wild guess and say Franke_R is someone who listens to the -core metals.

Myself, I don't actively listen to them, but there are some (some) -core bands I can tolerate. Overall I don't really care for it, since metalcore seems to have a tendency of using mediocre harsh vocals, and the song structures and compositions tend to be really formulaic and not that ambitious (that is to say they "play it safe" by "using the generic metalcore formula.")

With that being said, there are the occasional metalcore bands or songs I can appreciate, though I think this is mostly born from the fact that modern bands really blur the line between what is considered metalcore and what is considered melodic metal. Most the metalcore bands I do tolerate tend to be referred interchangeably between the two genres.

28. Post #148
    February 2005
    16,747 Posts
    I hate *core metal but I think it sounds like shit.

29. Post #149
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,291 Posts
    btw I wasn't kidding I said that you aren't metal unless you like Kate Bush.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #150
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,474 Posts
    I hate *core metal but I think it sounds like shit.
    What you've heard or all of it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #151
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    lol what year do you guys live in
    hipsters haven't dressed that way since the weezer guy made thick-rimmed glasses amazingly uncool

32. Post #152
    September 2009
    1,082 Posts
    Metal doesn't interest me as much, rarely listen to it. Same with hard-rock.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #153
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    I fucking hate music
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 4Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

34. Post #154
    March 2012
    32 Posts
    Grew out of Lil Wayne and any new main-streamer rappers that like rapping about their money, cars, and mansions+hoes. Never looked back and loving the sound of Tupac, Biggie, Nas, Hopsin, Easy E, rappers that actually flow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #155
    Dennab
    December 2011
    5,623 Posts
    Fuck me that's a ressurection and a half ther.

Meh, I essentially departed from metal now, bluegrass, trip hop and glitch for me.

36. Post #156
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,474 Posts
    post-metalling it up.

37. Post #157
    r 1
    January 2012
    92 Posts
    The very first song I had ever actually liked was "Breathe" by Prodigy (That was when I was 11. Seriously - before then I didn't even like music.), followed by Buckethead's "Jordan." Then I was like "FUCK THAT" and started listening to trance, then hardstyle, then nightcore. Now I've kind of backed up and I'm into anything that serves a good beat or catchy lyrics    except dubstep.   

38. Post #158
    Dennab
    December 2011
    5,623 Posts
    I don't get why a ton of folk draw the line at dubstep, there's a ton of good dubstep out there, whether it's old school dubstep like Mungo's HiFi or the modern stuff like Koan Sound or Love & Lights :frown:

39. Post #159
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,291 Posts
    tbh most people probably avoid dubstep because they think of obnoxious kiddies on the internet who always go on about how they listen to skrillex and that mouse guy rather than, y'know, actual dubstep.

Really I guess it suffers in the same way as metal - because people often think of metal as obnoxious kiddies who go on about slipknot and trivium or whatever. Either way, by judging two whole genres on their most obnoxious fans you miss out on a huge amount of music.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #160
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,474 Posts
    People judge books by their covers way too often.