1. Post #41
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    Started listening to metal at about 14 years old. Over the past few years (age 18 onwards) I've basically stopped listening to it.

I only really listen to some modern bands and prog metal now, none of the 80's thrash that I used to be obsessed with.

Nowadays I'm all about getting into post-rock, prog, acid jazz, funk, hip-hop, and electronic

I find myself skipping through any metal that comes on shuffle even, and I used to listen to album after album of it. Though occasionally it's good to have a nostalgic headbang after a while of not hearing any metal.

It's the mindset that metal music gives you, you think it's badass, you think it's hardcore, you think it's the best shit to ever happen.

Panda gave me a nice story that almost anyone whose listened to metal goes through.

You find Metallica or Slayer or one of the big 4. You become hooked on said bands for a while before you decided to branch out a bit into death metal or metalcore or black metal. You become hooked on that genre for a bit until you find progressive metal, this is where your attitude towards music changes, you start to look for song writing and technicality or something like that and find electronic music or post-rock. Then you're pretty much matured musically and you start to find stuff you REALLY like.

I've noticed that style of progression is common. It may not be exactly like that, but most people go through it.
    Nail on the head shit right there

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,941 Posts
    I never really got truly into thrash. I like Slayer a lot, but I couldn't say I'd ever be obsessed with it.

Metal does give you that energy boost kind of thrill though. I'm not sure how that effect could wear off.

3. Post #43
    Dennab
    August 2009
    14,866 Posts
    metal during puberty fuels your emotions
    to rebel, be different
    lust
    anger
    hatred (in some of us)

eventually you learn to control these emotions and you don't feel the need to express them through music anymore. that's how it was for me

of course I am speaking as a 14 year old onwards. not that all metal people are like this, but then again the first rules applies indefinitely for some people
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    I never really got into Slayer strangely enough. I was all about Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, and the groovier side of thrash like Pantera. Actually I still really dig Pantera. I'm all about the groove baby

It was never really an emotional thing for me. I loved metal because as a guitarist, I loved the technicality and excitement of it. I picked up guitar way before I got seriously into listening to music oddly enough.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    meow
    Dennab
    February 2012
    3,083 Posts
    I never really got into Slayer strangely enough. I was all about Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, and the groovier side of thrash like Pantera. Actually I still really dig Pantera. I'm all about the groove baby

It was never really an emotional thing for me. I loved metal because as a guitarist, I loved the technicality and excitement of it. I picked up guitar way before I got seriously into listening to music oddly enough.
    I agree. Pantera is that generic metal band that are forever awesome.

6. Post #46
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,941 Posts
    metal during puberty fuels your emotions
    to rebel, be different
    lust
    anger
    hatred (in some of us)
    So it wasn't about actually enjoying it.

7. Post #47
    July 2009
    2,025 Posts
    i listen to metal mostly but not because i think it's badass, i just genuinely enjoy it

but i really am trying to get out of the typical metalhead boundaries, unlike my brother ("if it ain't metal it's crap" etc.). I heard some Aphex Twin the other day and it really sparked my interest, and I'm looking for some good jazz (studying jazz bass + analysis), but I still love metal.

8. Post #48
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    I think it's more about hearing something which corroborates with what you're feeling. That shared connection makes it a very fundamental thing, which is why you see a lot of metalheads who are very militarised about defending it, because they see metal as a general kind of shared emotional connection.

I still listen to a lot of metal, but I've grown out of the whole holier than thou aspect of it. But it's still predominately what I play in bands, it's still what I get a kick out of hearing

9. Post #49
    Dennab
    August 2009
    14,866 Posts
    So it wasn't about actually enjoying it.
    of course it was

Edited:

this is a good thread

Edited:

I may not listen to the music I used to, but I regret nothing
    everything I listened to had a valid part in who I am today
    Therefore while I may not listen to metal anymore, it's still a part of my spirit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,488 Posts
    Did anyone else start there metal journey with a band other than the big 4 or Pantera?

I started with In Flames.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    4,808 Posts
    I was a hardcore Offspring fan from like first grade

then between 12 and 14 i listened to lots of shitty nu metal or whatever it's called

then I came back to punk, and have been stuck there untill present day (19)

12. Post #52
    Dennab
    August 2009
    14,866 Posts
    never regret from where you came from
    I loved metalcore for a long time and I regret nothing
    in fact I'll see that one band this year. Because they put on a great fucking show and I get to hang with my friends

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,291 Posts
    Everybody grows out on metal. We've all seen the filmclip of Enter Sandman and got exited, got into metal and then realised the shitty stereotype and got bored of distorted guitars and blastbeats.
    oh do they now? I admit, i went through a brief phase where I thought I'd "grown out" of metal when I was exploring other stuff about 3-4 years ago, listened to virtually no metal for about 2 years then suddenly decided to put on an old favourite and it all came flooding back. Suppose it's differentt for different people, but I honestly can't see myself "growing out" of metal at this point. Generalising all metal as just blastbeats and distorted guitars is pretty meaningless too. I might as well say that all jazz is saxophones and hi-hats or all classical is violins and pianos.

At this point I'd like to mention that being a metalhead and being a multi-genre listener aren't mutually exclusive like some people seem to think. As it happens, metal is the music I really like and connect with, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy other genres on their own merit. tbh looks like a lot of people were never really interested in metal music to begin with or are actually embarrassed to say they really love metal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #54
    Dennab
    August 2009
    14,866 Posts
    most of us haven't considered ourselves metal listeners for quite some time, more than 2 years at least
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,291 Posts
    but would you agree that generally speaking, to say "everybody grows out of metal" is incorrect. Otherwise you're applying what's happening on a music board of a forum to everywhere else, and judging by even my hometown's metal scene I'd say that "everybody grows out of metal" is probably untrue. Plenty of elder headbangers turn up to gigs of up-and-coming bands, and plenty of old-timers play to relatively young audiences. I'm 20 this year and aside from that period a few years ago where I gave in to what others thought I should do I've considered myself a metalhead for about 7 years.

point is that no-one nessecarily grows out of anything and the term itself is misleading, since it's more accurate to say tastes change rather than implying that listening to certain kinds of music is something you "grow out of"

16. Post #56
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,291 Posts
    Hey, music section. Since this place is the most fitting, I decided to post this here.
    When I was 10, I discovered a music genre that I absolutely loved. Heavy Metal. Throughout the years until age 16 I listened to nothing but metal. I discovered bands like Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Sabaton, Megadeth, Amon Amarth and plenty of more. When I was mid-16, I started listening to other genres and gradually listened to less and less of the metal genre and subgenres.
    Today, 18, I just don't enjoy it anymore. I still think a lot of the bands are talented, I loved the shit out of them, but I just can't bring myself to enjoy most of it as much as I used to.
    Same thing happened with my friend who loved Rap and Hip-Hop.

So, Facepunch, has anything like this happened to you too?
    a few years ago i would only listen to metal, then only hip hop and rap, then a mix of the two, now i listen to all kinds of electronic, hip hop and metal. feels good man

its just what you enjoy i guess

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,941 Posts
    as you get older, you become more aware of the type of music you are listening to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #58
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,655 Posts
    I used to listen to rock / metal until the age of about 15, then i became really in to drum & bass and i still am.

It all changed when i stopped playing the drums, i just became less interested in "guitar music"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,291 Posts
    as you get older, you become more aware of the type of music you are listening to.
    i've always found that it helps to play an instrument and know something about the way music is made.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #60
    Peng Weed Erryday
    August 2005
    5,135 Posts
    I was never into metal.

I was had this stereotype off teens on the internet listening to metal, reading this kind of confirmed it.

Growing up in the house my mum would always listen to reggae and soul music with a little bit of rock on the side. My older brother introduced me to hip hop at a young age, the first CD I ever bought was a street vibes compilation. Most of the other kids at school liked your usual pop standards; Boyzone, Spice Girls etc. But I was never into that, a couple of years later rap music started to become bigger and bigger and more popular.

I've never dropped music I used to like, hip hop makes up the majority of music I have. Although over the past few years I've gone through various hip hop styles, down to downtempo/trip hop sort of stuff and made the leap to similar electronic music. A few years ago when I started going out and drinking and stuff, I was introduced to dubstep, when a local nightclub would often have a dubstep, saw a few big names before they were so big; Benga, Caspa & Rusko, Erol Alkan etc.

There's way too much to put on and alot I've missed, but what I'm saying is I just like alot of different musical genres, I've never really grown out of anything, and still love the music I've always liked.

I never got into metal though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #61
    Antichristian Heathen Icelandic Bastard
    June 2008
    5,700 Posts
    I have yet to grow out of metal

As a matter of fact, I think I won't ever grow out of it.

I listen to a lot more sludge, post, jazz and blues now

Still a lot of metal though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Iceland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,291 Posts
    speaking of teens on the internet listening to metal, I've always thought that the reason so many "grow out" of it is partially because they're metalheads only through listening (like I was for a while) rather than actively being involved in what I suppose you could call the culture of metal. It can be hard to explore and immerse yourself in something that's as inpenetrable to "outsiders" as metal generally seems, and i suppose without proper IRL links to some kind of community you'd probably exhaust your listening of all the obvious bands and just give up. As with a lot of genres, there's a "surface level" of metal, tbh it's probably worse than most because metalheads (occasionally myself included) can be quite defensive and wary of people not percieved as "genuine". It's silly but, given that metal has often been portrayed practically as a joke, perhaps it's understandable.

@doozle
    that's fine. hope you didn't get thr wrong impression of my half-baked blatherings, i'm not implying that metal is necessarily likeable, or that it should be liked by everyone. i'm not that insufferable.

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,994 Posts
    I still listen to that and grunge occasionally, but I've moved on to all sorts of other stuff.

Especially progressive rock, metal for the thinking man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,941 Posts
    listened to Moby & Prodigy as a kid. Still do now.

25. Post #65
    Peng Weed Erryday
    August 2005
    5,135 Posts
    speaking of teens on the internet listening to metal, I've always thought that the reason so many "grow out" of it is partially because they're metalheads only through listening (like I was for a while) rather than actively being involved in what I suppose you could call the culture of metal. It can be hard to explore and immerse yourself in something that's as inpenetrable to "outsiders" as metal generally seems, and i suppose without proper IRL links to some kind of community you'd probably exhaust your listening of all the obvious bands and just give up. As with a lot of genres, there's a "surface level" of metal, tbh it's probably worse than most because metalheads (occasionally myself included) can be quite defensive and wary of people not percieved as "genuine". It's silly but, given that metal has often been portrayed practically as a joke, perhaps it's understandable.

@doozle
    that's fine. hope you didn't get thr wrong impression of my half-baked blatherings, i'm not implying that metal is necessarily likeable, or that it should be liked by everyone. i'm not that insufferable.
    My post wasn't directed at anyone, it's just alot of people mentioned metal, I always had this view that metal is somewhat infantile and that most people grow out of it. I understand what you're saying about being involved, the few people I know who are still into metal often go to gigs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #66
    September 2011
    689 Posts
    Did anyone else start there metal journey with a band other than the big 4 or Pantera?

I started with In Flames.
    Bullet for my Valentine, through to Iron Maiden and then Megadeth and then Prog, Folk and some classical.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #67
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,291 Posts
    sorry if I was a bit snappish, I've had to put up with being told to grow out of metal since I was 17.

More on topic, I think if you ever "grow out" of a grenre (and this applies to EVERYTHING) then you probably never really liked it anyway
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #68
    A Casual Businessman (or something even worse.)
    August 2009
    921 Posts
    listened to a little bit of a7x and black sabbath when I was about 7-10... more namely city of evil and some "greatest hits" compilation. age 12 I started listening to more tool, pendulum, aphex twin, the prodigy, and justice.

now i'm pretty much blown out to listen to something regardless of genre
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #69
    September 2011
    689 Posts
    I can't see myself growing out of metal, I still listen to Iron Maiden, granted I listen to more proggy records now from them than I used to, but I still find thrash interesting when I'm in the right mood, but I love prog and folk, but I tend to write more thrashy songs.

30. Post #70
    DJK
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    1,764 Posts
    I listened to metal and metal-like genres such as Iron Maiden, Metallica, Disturbed etc from like 6-11 or something. Now I like many genres(not metal as much though) specifically Hip-Hop, Jazz, Soul and other bands like A Day To Remember, Panic! At The Disco, Fall Out Boy etc.

31. Post #71
    July 2009
    4,282 Posts
    Never really listened to metal as religiously as some people did. I was more the ~classic rock~ style kid. (AC/DC, Zeppelin, Boston, etc.) When I was really young my mom always played country and I enjoyed that well enough, still do, but for a period I wouldn't touch it or listen to it. I don't think I've grown out of any genres, I think I've grown away from them and I'd like to revisit some of them.

32. Post #72
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    6,840 Posts
    I tend to think that people grow out of genres because they don't find anything new within that genre, for whatever reason.

Since metal seems to be the topic of the day, I won't deny that there are a lot of bands that try to sound like other bands.

But there are also a lot of bands that try to sound different from other bands, too. If you're only able to find bands of the former, then yeah, you probably will get burned out pretty quickly. But if you can find bands of the latter type, then it tends to, for lack of a better analogy, open the door to let some fresh air in.

For the past few years I've been looking for all kinds of genre fusions, both entirely within the metal genre and with fusions from outside. Examples include power metal / death metal fusions, symphonic music / metal fusions, tribal music / metal fusions, dubstep / metal fusions, jazz / metal fusions.

And then, of course, the progressive genres of metal, like post-metal, experimental/avant-garde metal, and (derp) progressive metal generally keep things fresh. I mean, what's not to love about a pummelling death metal barrage devolving into a synth-pad ambient track with a jazz sax solo, or a raging screaming typhoon of violence breaking into a J-pop synthfest with bubbly female vocals? It's a nice break from the non-stop metal barrage so many bands pursue.

33. Post #73
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    i never listened to metal.
    i grew up with punk and joni mitchell and that's still pretty much along the lines of what i listen to today.
    when i was a bit older i discovered electronic music via kraftwerk and the old 80's techno gangs.

maybe one day i listen to metal but it's too bombastic and silly for me, i don't have the mentality to understand it.

34. Post #74
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    5,208 Posts
    I only grew out of most metal and pop punk. However I still love Black Metal and the more extreme side of Doom Metal. But from Black Metal I found my self exploring the other genres I love, like Post-Rock, Folk, Ambient and a few others.

35. Post #75
    March 2010
    1,158 Posts
    I'm pretty sure everybody has some sort of musical growth at some point, whether or not that's "out of a genre" depends. Personally I began with classic rock pretty young, I wouldn't say I grew out of it but I got bored with it, I wanted to hear new things. I got into alternative rock and eventually metalcore which I eventually grew out of as well. That whole metalcore phase was very short (less than a year) but it was what got me more interested in music in general.

I still listen to some metal, not so much metalcore anymore but all of those bands that got me excited about music so long ago are still pretty special to me, even though I don't really listen to them anymore. Some people will probably go through their whole life listening to just one genre which is okay as long as that's what they're into and they at least try to enjoy other styles, they don't need to search anymore for genres that they like. For others, growing out of genres is just part of the search to find the music that they like the most.

36. Post #76
    The Cock Eater
    July 2007
    1,764 Posts
    I dunno.. I got into Metal at age 12 and still going strong. I like prog more though.. Dream Theater, Symphony X, Black Mages, ect. I just like GOOD sounding stuff, actual talent - if you will.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #77
    April 2007
    123 Posts
    I dunno.. I got into Metal at age 12 and still going strong. I like prog more though.. Dream Theater, Symphony X, Black Mages, ect. I just like GOOD sounding stuff, actual talent - if you will.
    Yep, you're a prog fan. You've got the pretentiousness down PAT.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 2 (list)

38. Post #78
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,488 Posts
    You'll branch out at some point, everyone does usually.

39. Post #79
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,941 Posts
    people worry too much about this "branch out" mindset. it's not the amount of genres you listen to, it's the styles that you are capable of connecting with and enjoying.

There's a lot of things that I've yet to fully appreciate.

Edited:

actual talent - if you will.
    That's great.

40. Post #80
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    most important movie of the 80's:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)