1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,120 Posts
    I've been noticing a trend with this generation of games. When a new trailer shows up, or a new release hits the shelves, many games are bombarded with overcritical nitpicking, hyperbole, and ultra high standards by many people in the videogame community. Games like Skyrim will come out, and hundreds of people will fill the comments section with comments like "Wow, look at how shitty the graphics are." It caught flak for having a UI that was "completely unusable". A more recent example was the Far Cry 3 gameplay trailer released a few days ago. Instantly the thread (and youtube comments) were filled with criticisms that "It looks like call of duty" when the only similarity is that both games let you shoot people. Again people say it's got "awful cartoony graphics" and I even saw a comment that "the characters are TOO weird!" (Here is the thread in question) What's happened to us? Even in the Xbox/PS2 generation we weren't so incredibly critical. Have we become spoiled? It seems like everyone is holding new games to the graphical standards of Crysis, the audio quality of Battlefield, and innovative uniqueness of Portal. Are some bad alpha maps on trees or a reload animation that looks similar to another game really going to prevent you from having fun in a game? Or is criticism like this completely reasonable, and genuinely helps weed out the good games from the bad? (And sorry about the shit formatting, facepunch is being a bitch and keeps fucking it all up.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #2
    Trans genders are gays with mental dis orders
    Dennab
    January 2012
    3,881 Posts
    Yep, and it hurts Indies the most.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,120 Posts
    Other examples that I've read include Battlefield Bad Company 2 for "awful weapon textures", Battlefield 3 "looks like shit", Saints Row 2 PC being "Completely unplayable" (Sure it's laggy, but it's by no means unplayable), the TF2 hat fiasco (I myself agree that TF2's artstyle isn't as cohesive anymore, but that never prevented me from playing what is a genuinely fun game)

Edited:

You've also got extremists, such as the call of duty players who won't play any other games because "they're not call of duty"

4. Post #4
    Trans genders are gays with mental dis orders
    Dennab
    January 2012
    3,881 Posts
    Saying bf3 looks like shit, is them probably trying to start a argument
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

5. Post #5
    Ex-Least Respected Usergroup
    June 2007
    7,100 Posts
    I think the problem is that for like every 1 person which complains there's 10 people which will enjoy the game with no problems, but those 10 don't really have a voice on forums or online so you don't see their opinion (or they don't feel the need to complain all the time).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,788 Posts
    Hearing people disrespect old or underdog titles for having bad graphics and praise generic brown and grey shooters for having incredible graphics makes me want to two foot them in the face so I'm inclined to say yes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #7
    December 2010
    365 Posts
    Yes, because the gaming community is much bigger than it used to be and is filled with mostly teenagers who whine about everything.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,903 Posts
    I would agree on the basis that many gamers prefer dull shooters that have super hi-res 1080P graphics, but the depth and intrigue of a piece of cardboard. I don't think bitching about pissy engines, bad DRM or derpy design choices counts though.
    Battlefield 3 "looks like shit",
    From what I've seen, while they may be exaggerating, they do have a point. BF3 isn't 'beautiful'. It's an exercise in technical prowess, but it just doesn't look right. The lighting is a big part of that, and the videos I've seen show an abundant amount of dust kicked up by explosions.

But I haven't played it so you may be able to turn some of that shit off.
    Saints Row 2 PC being "Completely unplayable" (Sure it's laggy, but it's by no means unplayable),
    It actually genuinely was unplayable for me. The xBox controller wouldn't map right and somehow ended up with reverse bound to turn left despite that not being shown in the keybindings, it looked like a PS1 game, and it lagged harder than GTA IV ever could.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

9. Post #9
    June 2008
    635 Posts
    To be honest.

The Far Cry 3 cinematic trailer portrayed the character as a pretty regular guy who snapped in order to survive and he barely does so in the trailer.

However, in the gameplay footage I've seen, the player runs around(akin to CoD) and guns down everything and everyone with no effort. That's not a game that I'd want to play. (He literally had 5+ guys shooting at him at the same time a few times and just kept running around like some kind of bullet proof Terminator).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Denmark Show Events

10. Post #10
    October 2010
    12,502 Posts
    A LOT of efforts was put into Battlefield 3, and when you say it looks a little bit shit, it's only because for DICE the BF3 was probably too big of a bite which they couldn't handle.

Not a game developer myself, but from what I understand is that creating games is very complicated and.. time consuming.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

11. Post #11
    August 2010
    4,074 Posts
    most people(not all) want an easy game they can jump into play a little bit and jump out, not a game that they have to sink hours and hours into for the story and get nothing out of it. people now-a-days want progression, or rewards for doing things that youre expected to do. people also want the latest and greatest graphics, which honestly youre just not going to get on consoles(which is where the main focus is now, i believe) games like call of duty are popular because you can jump into multiplayer, spend 15 minutes shooting people, get an unlock or something and then go to work or school or something, whereas games like skyrim you jump in for 15 minutes and you get maybe(big maybe) 1 quest done and all you get is some gold and hopefully(though unlikely) a cool item

im not saying skyrim is crap or CoD is amazing, but CoD is what people want in this generation of games. they want games that look good and they can jump into, play for a few minutes and get progress or unlock something cool

just my thoughts, but maybe i misunderstood this thread? probably
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,120 Posts
    To be honest.

The Far Cry 3 cinematic trailer portrayed the character as a pretty regular guy who snapped in order to survive and he barely does so in the trailer.

However, in the gameplay footage I've seen, the player runs around(akin to CoD) and guns down everything and everyone with no effort. That's not a game that I'd want to play. (He literally had 5+ guys shooting at him at the same time a few times and just kept running around like some kind of bullet proof Terminator).
    There are 3 things I find wrong with this. First, how would you portray a game where your character has no combat experience, when that game's core gameplay is about combat? Make him unable to handle guns correctly? Make him die in three shots? Second, if you harken back to the old trailers for the Far Cry games, they featured the characters doing exactly the same thing, running and gunning with explosions everywhere, because it's a trailer. It's supposed to be exciting and show off all the fancy graphics and action. It's not supposed to show the character searching for healthpacks after he gets riddled with bullets. Third, since it's an open world game, the trailer really doesn't represent what the gameplay is going to be like for you, as open world games give you as many options as you want. If you don't want to run and gun you don't have to. You could take a stealthy approach.

Also, how is something as general as running and gunning "akin" to CoD? CoD doesn't even have you run and gun in singleplayer. It forces you to stay behind cover 70% of the time.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    7,239 Posts
    I think the criticism is reasonable. It encourages developers to create video games even better than before.
    But there is a difference between legitimate and uniformed criticism, which I'm sure developers and producers know how to differentiate from.

There are different kinds of gamers to appeal to as well.
    Many developers do want to appeal to the call of duty-esque gamers, because they have a broad audience and bring in good sells.
    Other developers, usually indie, tend to try appeal to a specific audience.

Each knows who to take their criticism from.
    An artistic indie developer knows not to take too much advice from a CoD audience, while at the same time, a large game developer would find the advice valuable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 United States Show Events