1. Post #1
    February 2012
    22 Posts
    i have a video of a map i have finished /am finishing. its still in beta ofc, but, im looking for some ideas on how to link the interior with the exterior. at the moment, its disguised badly by a brick wall. which does the job, but i want it to be more.... 4 dimensional.

i want to be able to put the exterior in the middle of the map, but i still want it to have the "bigger on the inside" idea.
    it would be easy to do in portal, just make a door portal in the doorway of the exterior and interior of the tardis, but this is gmod.
    i thought about using teleporters, but how would i be able to create the "bigger on the inside" effect when the player opens the doors of the exterior tardis?

thanks for any help guys.
    ps. im making my own thread because the Doctor Who thread seems to have died recently.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    April 2008
    58 Posts
    reminds me of toonrun from sven coop
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Want a Tablet?
    November 2009
    2,028 Posts
    How about a fully made brush tardis, just the box. You open the door and in front of you in a HD photo as a texture on a brush of what you would see if you were really looking in. It would have to be a pretty perfectly taken photo and placed correctly. Then when you step towards it you hit a trigger and teleport to the actual inside of the tardis. Same for the way out. Or, you could make it so when you press E on the door, it teleports you.

4. Post #4
    Facepunch Resident Alcoholic!
    July 2007
    7,813 Posts
    How about a fully made brush tardis, just the box. You open the door and in front of you in a HD photo as a texture on a brush of what you would see if you were really looking in. It would have to be a pretty perfectly taken photo and placed correctly. Then when you step towards it you hit a trigger and teleport to the actual inside of the tardis. Same for the way out. Or, you could make it so when you press E on the door, it teleports you.
    Good luck getting such a high res image at the correct angle.

5. Post #5
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Sneak onto the set...

6. Post #6
    Want a Tablet?
    November 2009
    2,028 Posts
    I'm not doing it, don't wish me luck. Nor did I say it would be easy. So, yeah

7. Post #7
    July 2007
    7,813 Posts
    I'm not doing it, don't wish me luck. Nor did I say it would be easy. So, yeah
    I wished luck in general not directly to you. IT'S NOT ALWAYS ABOUT YOU.

FUCK.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    March 2009
    564 Posts
    Maybe a teleport and this?
    http://www.interlopers.net/tutorials/1810
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    I wished luck in general not directly to you. IT'S NOT ALWAYS ABOUT YOU.

FUCK.
    The titles say otherwise...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    July 2007
    7,813 Posts
    The titles say otherwise...
    I was forced to have this against my will, he practically raped me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    You love it really :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    February 2012
    22 Posts
    brilliant this could just do it.
    i was thinking of doing it this way, except i couldnt figure out how to get rid of the annoying "feedback" effect on the monitor.
    now i know its possible.

13. Post #13
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    brilliant this could just do it.
    i was thinking of doing it this way, except i couldnt figure out how to get rid of the annoying "feedback" effect on the monitor.
    now i know its possible.
    Use a different monitor texture.

14. Post #14
    Want a Tablet?
    November 2009
    2,028 Posts
    I wished luck in general not directly to you. IT'S NOT ALWAYS ABOUT YOU.FUCK.
    It is.

Edited:

If only you could be that lucky.

15. Post #15
    February 2012
    22 Posts
    Use a different monitor texture.
    whats the best texture to get the clearest display?

16. Post #16
    February 2012
    22 Posts
    never mind. i sorted it. il have a video up soon.

edit: heres the vid:

excuse the oversized bumpmaps. WIP.

17. Post #17
    Frivolous Speculation + Trolling ElectronicG19 = Grizz
    July 2009
    3,719 Posts
    The interior is like a hybrid between Series 1-4 & 5... but I love it!

18. Post #18
    March 2009
    564 Posts
    Did you end up using the link I sent? because whatever you did that look hot.

19. Post #19
    February 2011
    425 Posts
    This is simply amazing, can't wait for its release.

20. Post #20
    February 2012
    22 Posts
    sorry for the late post and bumping my own thread (not deliberately) but no. its simply a hole in the wall behind the tardis. each location has a copy of the console room behind the wall. its sort of hard to explain but, when you walk through the tardis from the gm_construct lookalike map, you hit a teleporter that teleports you to the other interior. you barely even notice it. however you can bug it out if you walk backwards.. but i guess thats the price you pay for having a moving tardis in a gmod map right?
    anyway, it is not finished, there are still bugs, but i have released it as a finished map anyway as uni has started again and im out of time.
    u can dload it from gamebanana:
    http://www.gamebanana.com/gmod/maps/163965
    ty all for your assistance.

Edit: ps, there is now an old series console room. though im not going to tell you where it is, you will have to find it for yourself ;)