1. Post #1

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...sotheby-s.html

One of four versions of Edvard Munch’s work “The Scream” is being sold at auction in New York in May. The 1895 pastel-and-board composition by the Norwegian artist will be included in Sotheby’s (BID) May 2 sale of Impressionist and modern works. It carries a value of at least $80 million, the auction house said in an e-mailed release today.
    Sotheby's version is the only one left in private hands. It is being offered by the Norwegian businessman Petter Olsen, whose father Thomas was a friend and patron of the artist. The primary version of the work, in tempera and crayon dating from 1893, is in the National Gallery of Norway.
    “I have lived with this work all my life, and its power and energy have only increased with time,” Olsen said in an e-mailed statement. “Now however, I feel the moment has come to offer the rest of the world a chance to own and appreciate this remarkable work.”
    Proceeds from the sale will go toward the establishment of a new museum, art centre and hotel on Olsen's farm, Ramme Gaard at Hvitsten, Norway. It will open next year in connection with the Munch 150th anniversary, and will be dedicated to the artist’s work and time there.
    Of the variants, this Sotheby's version is closest in composition the one in Norway's National Gallery. It is also notable for having a hand-painted inscription by Munch on the frame, explaining the genesis of the work.
    “I was walking along the road with two friends, the sun was setting,” reads the frame. “The sky turned a bloody red and I felt a whiff of melancholy. I stood still, deathly tired -- over the blue-black fjord and city hung Blood and Tongues of Fire. My friends walked on -- I remained behind. Shivering with anxiety, I felt the great Scream in Nature.”
    Well I think it's a great painting no matter how much other folks here on Facepunch may hate it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Artistic Artistic x 52Funny Funny x 6Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,420 Posts
    I screamed at the price

[sub][sub]I'm so sorry[/sub][/sub]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 109Zing Zing x 9Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    It's a great painting, but it in itself is not worth 80m $. But I can imagine it will be worth far more in the future and it probably is a great investition.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 16Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    February 2009
    1,909 Posts
    god damnit, its a screamer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    80 mil for that scribble? Darn. Sure it might be a good painting or whatever but come on, eighty fucking million?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    16,619 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 82Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    80 mil for that scribble? Darn. Sure it might be a good painting or whatever but come on, eighty fucking million?
    Popularity and fame = more competitive auctioning.

Edited:

160 000 screams = 1 US debt
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 19Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    3,839 Posts
    I was expecting Scream the movie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 117Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,265 Posts
    It's a great painting, but it in itself is not worth 80m $.
    I can't fathom why people always say a piece of art is not worth something. It's art. If it's been sold for that price then it's worth it to someone so who are you to say it isn't? Plus it's rare and it's Impressionism. That's a lot of value.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 22Dumb Dumb x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,261 Posts
    dear god

i can make that even
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)

12. Post #12
    November 2011
    4,754 Posts
    I never understood why some paintings cost so much.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,526 Posts
    I never understood why some paintings cost so much.
    because supply is low and demand is high
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    November 2011
    4,754 Posts
    i should start selling paintings
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 21 (list)

15. Post #15
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    historical value
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    4,229 Posts
    I'm gonna take out a loan, buy it and sell it for two more millions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 39Useful Useful x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,579 Posts
    I'm gonna take out a loan, buy it and sell it for two more millions.
    Assuming you could pull out a loan for 80 million, and you make a 0% down payment at a 1% annual yearly interest, you would be paying 37,482,585.58 a month.
    Have fun
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 19Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,185 Posts
    High quality print=dirt cheap
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    High quality print=dirt cheap
    This.

*looks at high-quality poster print hanging up on my wall*

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,034 Posts
    It's a great painting, but it in itself is not worth 80m $. But I can imagine it will be worth far more in the future and it probably is a great investition.
    It's worth 80mil to someone. Art is only worth as much as we (and the market) make it to be.

Also, it's too bad it isn't an abstract piece. Seeing everyone here rage over the high price tag of abstract art is entertaining.

Furthermore, I love this work. Probably my favorite Expressionist piece.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,139 Posts
    Assuming you could pull out a loan for 80 million, and you make a 0% down payment at a 1% annual yearly interest, you would be paying 37,482,585.58 a month.
    Have fun
    37 million per month for a 80 million loan? I think you got something wrong there. It's more like 60-70k per month.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 23 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,579 Posts
    37 million per month for a 80 million loan? I think you got something wrong there. It's more like 60-70k per month.
    I put in 80 billions, whoops
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Funny Funny x 4 (list)

24. Post #24
    May 2010
    2,379 Posts
    reminded me of this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Winner x 34Dumb x 5Funny x 3Informative x 1Disagree x 1Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,526 Posts
    This.

*looks at high-quality poster print hanging up on my wall*
    supply of the originals is low, price is high

supply of repros is high, price is low
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    20,068 Posts
    It isn't a painting
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

27. Post #27
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    21,256 Posts
    I wouldn't hang that on my wall even if they paid to me to take it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Czech Republic Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,724 Posts
    -snip-

29. Post #29
    Just in, expert believe the painting will be sold for more then 200 million dollars.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,084 Posts
    that's good, it's a great work of art. this version is great too. if i somehow had that much money to throw around i'd invest in this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

31. Post #31
    December 2010
    2,228 Posts
    That one painting's pricetag could net me so much hookers and blow that I'd OD in a millisecond.

I'm not sure why I measure wealth in how fast it would kill me, but I do that a lot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    I don't know why, but to me those scream paintings look like they were drawn by a 5 year old with some crayons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    PM ME FOR /TWO\ RUST KEYS!!
    April 2011
    5,773 Posts
    Am I the only person who read the title and thought ''Did they film 4 different endings, or something?''
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

34. Post #34
    Mon
    April 2011
    4,102 Posts
    i don't know what the appeal is behind these paintings
    yeah they were probably great in their time, but that was more than a few years ago

35. Post #35
    :)
    December 2011
    697 Posts
    I thought it was about the horrible movies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    November 2010
    33 Posts
    I was hoping it was this "scream"

I was disappointed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scream!_(roller_coaster)

37. Post #37
    November 2011
    4,754 Posts
    Maybe after your death they could be worth something.
    i've seen paintings sold for 15000 €

38. Post #38
    October 2010
    12,959 Posts
    I can't fathom why people always say a piece of art is not worth something. It's art. If it's been sold for that price then it's worth it to someone so who are you to say it isn't? Plus it's rare and it's Impressionism. That's a lot of value.
    80 million

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    4,315 Posts
    Have two rich people bid for something they both want and you get prices like this. It doesn't say anything about the actual monetary value of the work (well it does, but not in the same way e.g. a car's price represents man hours, resources, etc)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    12,936 Posts
    i don't know what the appeal is behind these paintings
    yeah they were probably great in their time, but that was more than a few years ago
    They are really intense if you know the story behind them.

I was walking along a path with two friends the sun was setting suddenly the sky turned blood red I paused, feeling exhausted, and leaned on the fence there was blood and tongues of fire above the blue-black fjord and the city my friends walked on, and I stood there trembling with anxiety and I sensed an infinite scream passing through nature.
    It's like a snapshot of a panic attack from the mind's eye. I still consider it one of the most powerful pieces I've ever seen, even before I knew what it was about. The layout of it all is just so EURHHRRRAAAHHHHHHHHH NO WORDS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6 (list)