1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,673 Posts
    I'm at uni between classes ATM so I don't have time to flesh the thread out fully yet, I'll probably do that when I get home later today.

Anyways, REALLY suprised there isn't a thread about this here. New movie in theaters as of last friday, didn't even know it was out at all until my boyfriend mentioned it. It's from the makers of Spirited Away and Princess Monoke, which I am sure every 2D animated movie fan has seen at least once.

Really really excellent. Excellent character development (for all except two characters IMO), the BEST 2D animation I've ever seen in a film, and pulls of atmosphere supurbly.

The story is based on a novel called "The Borrowers". DO NOT watch the offical trailer for the movie by Disney as it basically spoils the entire plot. I'll try and post videos that are spoiler free when I get home later today.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,372 Posts
    The movie has actually been out for a while but only now going international. Anyways I personally don't think its nearly as good as Spirited Away or Princess Monoke.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    November 2011
    242 Posts
    It was good, but lacked a certain je n'ai sais quoi.

4. Post #4
    October 2010
    587 Posts
    not studio ghibli's best, but it was still fantastic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,673 Posts
    I agree, I liked the grand scale of Monoke and Spirited Away more, but this movie still has that Ghibli charm. It's a lot more "down to earth" than some of his previous work. It reminded me of Totoro in setting, style and moods, except with an actual plot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    March 2011
    199 Posts
    This is new? Hasn't it been out on DVD for months?

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,673 Posts
    Maybe where I live is late or something but I've never seen anything or heard anything about this movie, and they just released it in theaters here last friday.

I guess in other areas of the world/country, they have had it released for a while then..?

In that case, I guess we can disreguard this thread

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    5,644 Posts
    I saw this a couple of months ago in the cinema. It was pretty good.

9. Post #9
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,948 Posts
    I remember when those news articles were flying about how if Studio Ghibli's next film (this one) wasn't a box office hit, they might close down or something. Regardless of it being true or an exaggeration, it's nice to see the films already made $135 million on a budget of just $23 million, and only just opened in the states.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    7,168 Posts
    I agree its not the best work but damn its still a good movie.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    2,388 Posts
    I want this out on bluray, so I can just pause it at certain parts and admire the artwork. It's absolutely gorgeous.
    And I loved the soundtrack, too.
    Apart from that song that played during the credits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    7,168 Posts
    I want this out on bluray, so I can just pause it at certain parts and admire the artwork. It's absolutely gorgeous.
    And I loved the soundtrack, too.
    Apart from that song that played during the credits.
    i wish they would release the whole collection out on bluray

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    1,912 Posts
    when i saw the budget for the movie it said 1.9 BILLIONS DOLLARS... holy shit

but it turned out to be yen instead of dollar
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)