1. Post #1
    June 2011
    89 Posts
    WIKILEAKS founder Julian Assange has slipped from the reach of US investigators, according to an American news report.

Authorities had been unable to link the WikiLeaks founder to Bradley Manning, the army private jailed for passing confidential information to the whistleblowing website, NBC News said yesterday.The network's chief Pentagon correspondent Jim Miklaszewski said sources inside the US military claimed they were struggling to find any evidence to prove Mr Assange and Pte Manning communicated with each other."The officials say that while investigators have determined that Manning had allegedly unlawfully downloaded tens of thousands of documents on to his own computer and passed them to an unauthorised person, there is apparently no evidence he passed the files directly to Assange, or had any direct contact with the WikiLeaks figure," Mr Miklaszewski said.If the reports are true, authorities will be powerless to extradite Mr Assange to the US to face criminal charges relating to his website's leaking of classified documents.The recent release of a massive cache of US cables angered and embarrassed the US, leading the Obama Administration to label Assange a "hi-tech terrorist".News reports late last year revealed the White House was exploring options of criminally prosecuting Mr Assange under the Espionage Act.

US authorities were reportedly trying to build a criminal conspiracy case against Mr Assange, to prove he helped Pte Manning when the soldier allegedly copied more than 250,000 classified US government cables on to a CD and smuggled the data to WikiLeaks.Australian-born Mr Assange, 38, is on bail in England while he waits to face a London court on February 7 for extradition to Sweden on sex offences that allegedly occurred last year.Mr Assange has claimed he had never heard of Pte Manning.

But the 23-year-old soldier, in solitary confinement since July, allegedly communicated with Mr Assange and WikiLeaks on Twitter, according to reports last year.

Read more: [COLOR=#003399]http://www.news.com.au/features/wiki...#ixzz1nXYiiuUC[/COLOR]

"If the reports are true, authorities will be powerless to extradite Mr Assange to the US to face criminal charges relating to his website's leaking of classified documents."

Damn straight.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 98Funny Funny x 6Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2010
    8,080 Posts
    No shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 23 (list)

3. Post #3
    I do it all
    November 2010
    14,230 Posts
    If the government wants to know more about us, how come we can't know more about them?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 70Winner Winner x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    June 2011
    89 Posts
    Exactly^
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    June 2008
    1,183 Posts
    If the government wants to know more about us, how come we can't know more about them?
    Because apparently they're not us.
    About time we prove them wrong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

6. Post #6
    June 2011
    89 Posts
    Because apparently they're not us.
    About time we prove them wrong.
    Assange is one of the few people smart enough, and brave enough, to stand up to corporations, I hope he keeps it up, and more people like him surface.

Edited:

^So fingers crossed for release
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 29 (list)

7. Post #7

June 2007
    67 Posts
    Good.

8. Post #8
    January 2012
    739 Posts
    What a stunning revelation, I was totally convinced he was a rapist monster and a threat to 'MURICAN SECURITY.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 17Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Hope to fuck we have more like him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    17,305 Posts
    Assange is one of the few people smart enough, and brave enough, to stand up to corporations, I hope he keeps it up, and more people like him surface.

Edited:

^So fingers crossed for release
    what do federal diplomatic and military cables have anything to do with corporations
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,329 Posts
    what do federal diplomatic and military cables have anything to do with corporations
    Most releases are related to corporations. The diplomatic cables just get the most attention.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    17,305 Posts
    o

cool, then

13. Post #13
    faster than stupid, but still slower than everybody else
    June 2010
    2,773 Posts
    So what about the guy in solitary confinement, he's just going to rot in a dark room for the rest of his life?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

14. Post #14
    November 2007
    100 Posts
    "hi-tech terrorist"
    who are the people being terrorised here?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

15. Post #15
    HEY GUYS DID I MENTION I'M IN THE ARMY
    March 2006
    3,297 Posts
    I wish that he spent more time trying to uncover corporations than making privates get article 15s and court martials.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    November 2011
    398 Posts
    who are the people being terrorised here?
    "Terrorist" is a term used so broadly here that it dumbfounds me.

Just about anything that's considered "wrong" is a "terroristic threat to society."

17. Post #17
    March 2006
    3,297 Posts
    Releasing sensitive information on military matters kind of makes me afraid. A lot of the stuff we do is not for the general public to know about, such as the capabilities, makeup, and limitations of the particular aircraft I work on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    June 2011
    89 Posts
    Releasing sensitive information on military matters kind of makes me afraid. A lot of the stuff we do is not for the general public to know about, such as the capabilities, makeup, and limitations of the particular aircraft I work on.
    Knowledge should be free to the citizens.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    January 2012
    739 Posts
    You would say that... You're on the inside... Got my eyes on you...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

20. Post #20
    March 2006
    3,297 Posts
    Knowledge should be free to the citizens.
    No it should not. I can just imagine what the enemy will do with the perfect way of shooting down my aircraft or a complete breakdown of our numbers, supplies, infantry tactics, upcoming operations, clandestine operations, strength and weaknesses of our FOBs, patrol routes, enemy informants, etc. Idealism like that is nice, but not good in practice. I don't want my battle buddies killed over some person releasing sensitive information pertaining to whatever they do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    June 2011
    89 Posts
    No it should not. I can just imagine what the enemy will do with the perfect way of shooting down my aircraft or a complete breakdown of our numbers, supplies, infantry tactics, upcoming operations, clandestine operations, strength and weaknesses of our FOBs, patrol routes, enemy informants, etc. Idealism like that is nice, but not good in practice. I don't want my battle buddies killed over some person releasing sensitive information pertaining to whatever they do.
    They aren't releasing anything about numbers or supplies, only about corrupt leaders and such.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Zing Zing x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    March 2006
    3,297 Posts
    They aren't releasing anything about numbers or supplies, only about corrupt leaders and such.
    And names of informants we have in the field, as well as names of some Soldiers. Stuff like that is careless, and was included in the original leak. I am just saying that we need to keep military and civilian information separate. You guys don't need to know everything we are doing.

23. Post #23
    January 2012
    739 Posts
    And names of informants we have in the field, as well as names of some Soldiers. Stuff like that is careless, and was included in the original leak. I am just saying that we need to keep military and civilian information separate. You guys don't need to know everything we are doing.
    Yeah fuck you assholes, it is not like your money dosn't directly fund literally everything
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    7,750 Posts
    He hasn't even done anything wrong, he's just the spokesman of the organization. Taking him down would accomplish nothing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    March 2006
    3,297 Posts
    Yeah fuck you assholes, it is not like your money dosn't directly fund literally everything
    It is not like you are alongside me fighting taliban or anything. Certainly, taxes do fund the military. The thing is, military matters are best kept in the military. I need a secret clearance for what I do. Soon to be top secret. Several of my friends have access to compartmentalized information. Secrecy is our best defense. If everything we did was public knowledge, then we would be severely handicapped. Military matters have nothing to do with civilian affairs. Would it really make your day better to know my flight logs or have access to my technical manuals? Most likely not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,850 Posts
    Whatever happened to that rape charge

27. Post #27
    White Fusion will love him forever and ever~
    January 2012
    10,936 Posts
    I think it got dropped or thrown out or something after they found out that both women making the claims only did so after talking to each other and they found out he was infamous.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,525 Posts
    I think it got dropped or thrown out or something after they found out that both women making the claims only did so after talking to each other and they found out he was infamous.
    Actually it was upheld and he's out on bail.

29. Post #29
    December 2011
    2,782 Posts
    That was the biggest load of horseshit thrown at him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    Jsm
    "Belgium is pretty much a non-country"
    June 2006
    8,040 Posts
    Actually it was upheld and he's out on bail.
    It hasn't been anywhere near a court in Sweden yet so its not been upheld or frown out. The only thing that has been decided is that the arrest warrant was valid (but even that is still being decided).

31. Post #31
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,850 Posts
    That was the biggest load of horseshit thrown at him.
    Rape is a very serious thing that should be dealt with but it did come at a rather suspect time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    May 2011
    900 Posts
    In other news the sun is warm. (About time they admitted it.)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,075 Posts
    Would it really make your day better to know my flight logs or have access to my technical manuals? Most likely not.
    That's a nice strawman.

You deserve the same privacy as any other dude in a private organization so long as that when shit hits the fan, everybody can be held accountable for their actions to the taxpayers. Thing is, right now, the military can't be touched. Two years in a row, the DoD has been impossible to audit financially. Money has a way of just sorta disappearing. There needs to be more transparency than there is now, and citizens have a right to be angry and attempt to do investigation of their own when the government fails to do it for them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

34. Post #34
    June 2011
    89 Posts
    That's a nice strawman.

You deserve the same privacy as any other dude in a private organization so long as that when shit hits the fan, everybody can be held accountable for their actions to the taxpayers. Thing is, right now, the military can't be touched. Two years in a row, the DoD has been impossible to audit financially. Money has a way of just sorta disappearing. There needs to be more transparency than there is now, and citizens have a right to be angry and attempt to do investigation of their own when the government fails to do it for them.
    Exactly, we deserve the right to know about people that hold nuclear codes and such.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    7,209 Posts
    Yet he's still Public Enemy #1.

36. Post #36
    June 2011
    89 Posts
    Yet he's still Public Enemy #1.
    Its the corporations that titled him that, everyone I know (public-wise) loves him

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    14,742 Posts
    Can you be arrested for delivering corny one-liners to prostitutes? If so, he's still in big trouble.

38. Post #38
    June 2011
    89 Posts
    Can you be arrested for delivering corny one-liners to prostitutes? If so, he's still in big trouble.
    Well so far, that's the only thing they have on him.

39. Post #39
    ffFf
    June 2005
    5,914 Posts
    well hey, sometime last year wasn't there a politician or someone talking about how they might just have to make up new laws that cover stuff he's done in the past, because current laws don't? and then just apply them retrospectively?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    June 2011
    89 Posts
    well hey, sometime last year wasn't there a politician or someone talking about how they might just have to make up new laws that cover stuff he's done in the past, because current laws don't? and then just apply them retrospectively?
    No hope left in humanity -.-

Edited:

Now this will hopefully mean they wont extradite him to sweden where he is 99.99% likely to be further extradited to the US