1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,933 Posts
    I was feeling pretty down today, so I put on Kid A. Needless to say that did not help my mood.

After some thinking, I realised I had nearly no albums that are happy. Almost all my absolute favourite albums have something brooding or melancholic about them, from Kid A to This is Happening.

I then decided it was time to say bye to Thom Yorke for a while when I realised I should have been listening to this:

This album isn't particularly revolutionary or important by any means (in fact, the band's first album is much moreso), but holy shit, every time I listen to this I just end up ignoring everything else and just enjoying it. This sort of thing just makes me feel better, I don't know what it is in particular about it. All the sweet bass grooves, the cowbell, the pulsing synths under the chattering guitars, I couldn't care less if it's mostly without substance, it just restores my faith in people, it almost serves to me as an anti depressant.

So, do you guys have any albums like that? Quality music that's also happy? I noticed an absence of it in my library. I'd really like to know because I need more of it. While they are relatable and generally musically better, melancholic albums do not help a bad mood, for me at least.

Edited:

I don't mean songs, I mean whole albums. I have plenty of songs that are happy, but finding a whole album that has a positive message is a rare thing, I find.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,474 Posts

So good and awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    July 2010
    566 Posts

Great album. Every song is uplifting and makes you want to tap your feet and smile.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,820 Posts

and

Animal Collective.

Call it what you want, but if you didn't like the Smile album, you won't enjoy this. It all relates.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    PIRATE METAL BASTARD
    October 2009
    7,523 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,820 Posts
    I still need to give that a listen.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,474 Posts

This album is so chill and it swaps from uplifting to melancholy really well and it's just overall insanely good, which makes me happy.

8. Post #8
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,038 Posts

9. Post #9
    r. panda is a racist and ibuwebu is mai waifu
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    tokyo anal dynamite by gerogerigegege
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    March 2010
    427 Posts
    [URL]
    have not listened to it in so long though
    these guys are my go to now

11. Post #11
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    the strokes is this it and the hives vedi verdi vicious or whatever are good for me

12. Post #12
    February 2011
    2,352 Posts

13. Post #13
    August 2010
    1,447 Posts

Animal Collective.

Call it what you want, but if you didn't like the Smile album, you won't enjoy this. It all relates.
    recently I finally gave in and decided I like Animal Collective... I've come a long way from thinking MPP was boring and Strawberry Jam was annoying. I fell in love with Feels just as I was about to give them up and then the rest of the albums just grew on me.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,820 Posts
    I still prefer Sung Tongs. But I've only actually listened to their other stuff for the first time recently.

15. Post #15
    April 2009
    2,220 Posts

Mostly anything with Primus, to be honest.

16. Post #16
    A Casual Businessman (or something even worse.)
    August 2009
    918 Posts

17. Post #17
    July 2010
    566 Posts
    The full version of this song is phenomenal. When a band goes outside of its comfort box to create a postlude as amazing as that, is just fucking pure brilliance.

I really wish I could find more bands/artists that step out of their genre to make a electronic track like that.

18. Post #18
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    PIRATE METAL BASTARD
    October 2009
    7,523 Posts
    Rule 1 of Music on the internet: Pitchfork is shite and should never be trusted

Always lived by this, doin' just fine
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    11,201 Posts
    The full version of this song is phenomenal. When a band goes outside of its comfort box to create a postlude as amazing as that, is just fucking pure brilliance.

I really wish I could find more bands/artists that step out of their genre to make a electronic track like that.
    I love their dub remix album (Blood) too. It's a bit hit and miss but when it hits, it hits pretty hard and makes for some pretty interesting stuff.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,820 Posts
    Didn't they make that album the best of 2000. Makes no sense.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    February 2010
    16,311 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    Rule 1 of Music on the internet: Pitchfork is shite and should never be trusted

Always lived by this, doin' just fine
    are ya?
    half of the idiots on /mu/ and THUS ON OUR OWN MUSIC SECTION (god forbid we form our own opinions) just follow the shit they spew. People cite their reviews to show how they are "wrong" or what have you but all of the opinion pieces on there and discussions have the same view on most albums. Without them none of you dolts would know who the fuck bon iver is or half of these other guys.

Edited:

Didn't they make that album the best of 2000. Makes no sense.
    see this is what you people don't understand at all about journalism. the site is run by a group of people and managed by an editor. reviews are written by ONE PERSON, they do not reflect the thoughts of anyone else writing or working for the site/magazine in any capacity. That review is just a one off where the guy writing it clearly didn't get that Andrew WAS in fact being ironic, the joke went over his head in the same way the fact that many punk and metal bands are not being serious at all. It isn't the craziest thing in the world, and the fact it showed up on their "best of 2000" list shows that the opinion of one reviewer on the site doesn't reflect a thing.

Edited:

and fyi bon iver was literally made by pitchfork. they are the ONLY reason anyone knows of him at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    April 2011
    204 Posts
    easily comfort eagle for me

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,820 Posts
    I would have thought the reviewers were chosen, then the rating was agreed upon and released.

That's usually what happens with Rolling Stone and AllMusic.

26. Post #26
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,038 Posts
    recently I finally gave in and decided I like Animal Collective... I've come a long way from thinking MPP was boring and Strawberry Jam was annoying. I fell in love with Feels just as I was about to give them up and then the rest of the albums just grew on me.
    spirit they're here spirit they've vanished is their best album

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    11,201 Posts
    My opinion on Pitchfork is that it's simultaneously the best and worst music site. A lot of the reviews are insanely pretentious but if you dig through some of the things like Best New Albums and whatnot then you can find some pretty interesting new stuff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    I would have thought the reviewers were chosen, then the rating was agreed upon and released.

That's usually what happens with Rolling Stone and AllMusic.
    rolling stone allows just flat out random people to SUBMIT reviews to them lol. Ratings are never "agreed" on, it is always one man's opinion, with game, movie, or music reviews. jesus christ
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,820 Posts
    rolling stone allows just flat out random people to SUBMIT reviews to them lol. Ratings are never "agreed" on, it is always one man's opinion, with game, movie, or music reviews. jesus christ
    okay cool. thanks for the info arsehole.

30. Post #30
    PIRATE METAL BASTARD
    October 2009
    7,523 Posts
    are ya?
    half of the idiots on /mu/ and THUS ON OUR OWN MUSIC SECTION (god forbid we form our own opinions) just follow the shit they spew. People cite their reviews to show how they are "wrong" or what have you but all of the opinion pieces on there and discussions have the same view on most albums. Without them none of you dolts would know who the fuck bon iver is or half of these other guys.
    Pretty sure maybe 98% of my music hasn't been on Pitchfork.
    Only ones I can think of is WK and Mastodon

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,933 Posts
    When Pitchfork likes something, then chances are it's going to be pretty good, I find. When Pitchfork doesn't like something, that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, either. I actually think many of their reviews are very well written, and even the unconventional ones can be quite insightful (with the obvious exception of a certain monkey).

32. Post #32
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    Pretty sure maybe 98% of my music hasn't been on Pitchfork.
    Only ones I can think of is WK and Mastodon
    yeah you listen to shit music I'm talking about everyone else particularly the last.fm thread crowd

Edited:

okay cool. thanks for the info arsehole.
    bwuh
    just try to know what you are talking about before you start complaining!

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,820 Posts
    bwuh
    just try to know what you are talking about before you start complaining!
    I will complain about who I want, when I want.

Just because I get confuse easily, doesn't make me inferior. :>

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,897 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #35

January 2012
    87 Posts
    I don't. All my albums are depressive. :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    ~gay boi~
    July 2010
    14,485 Posts

Meow

I love this album because it's upbeat and cheery.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    February 2010
    16,311 Posts

Meow

I love this album because it's upbeat and cheery.
    Why did I expect that from you?

38. Post #38
    November 2010
    564 Posts

Massive Attack.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    October 2010
    238 Posts
    Mostly anything with Primus, to be honest.
    It's les' singing voice that does it for me.

40. Post #40
    An airbag saved my life
    February 2007
    2,121 Posts
    Why the hell was this not posted:

The Avalanches - Since I Left You

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)