1. Post #1
    February 2011
    1,959 Posts
    So my psu recently randomly sparked while playing Tribes (Guess I was going too fast), and the spark ignited a flame that burned something but I couldn't tell what it was. As a result my pc stopped working, initially I bought a new psu of 600W, and then after trying my pc components one by one, turns out what burned was the motherboard and that's why it's not working. (Won't go on details on how's it not working, it's probably the motherboard, everything else works fine on another computer)

Now I've to replace the motherboard, I wouldn't ask if I could buy the same one, but the guy that built my computer is quite a moron and he bought a motherboard not compatible with something, and we had some problems with that. I don't trust him anymore because I've had some other problems with my computer related to the hardware, so I'm asking here (and some mates) if they can help me on this.

Here are my specs so those who feel helpful can help me look for a compatible motherboard (I don't know about computers, I'm quite awful with this stuff)

Processor: Phentom 9850 quad core 2,56ghz
    Gpu: Nvidia 9800 GT
    Ram: Ddr 2gb 1066 (2x)
    Psu: Atx 600w b-move (that's the new one, the old one which is still working is a Nox Krypton 1000W 14HE)
    Hdd: Barracuda 7200.12 500GB
    Case: Nox Coolbay metraquilate

I'm not sure if you need anything else to find me a compatible motherboard, if you do just ask anything you want.

About the dosh I can spend, around 120-130 euros is what I can afford, 150 max. As long as you can find me a decent one for the price of 120-130 euros I'm okay with it, doesn't need to be a beast.

So if you feel helpful and can help me, I would really appreciate if you could find this for me, as I said, I'm bad with computers.

Much appreciated!

I also live in spain

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    1,192 Posts
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157204

Here's a cheap AM2+ compatible motherboard.

I'm not too familiar with AMD, but I believe it's an older CPU socket so choices may be slim for motherboards.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    February 2011
    1,959 Posts
    Will that work fine? If so that's sweet, because it's also cheap. Are there anymore options or opinions?

I also forgot to say my old motherboard is an ASUS M3N-H/HDMI, that's the one that wasn't compatible and we had to do weird stuff to fix that.

Might want to make sure, but thanks a lot mate!

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    1,192 Posts
    Yeah, it will! Basically, when you're checking compatibility between a mobo and a CPU, all you have to do is look and see what "socket" you're CPU is classified as (just search for your CPUs specs on google and it will tell you). In your case it is an AM2+ socket. From there all you do is find a motherboard that has that socket listed as compatible in its specifications.

I'm not sure if newegg ships internationally either. You can always look for that motherboard on any European distributors website.

Also, it's strange that your old Asus mobo wasn't compatible. It's made specifically for AM2+\AM2 CPUs...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    February 2011
    1,959 Posts
    I can't remember exactly well, but I remember we had to download some stuff on a pendrive, set the pendrive to install-stuff mode, and we had to update the mobo so it could be compatible. Maybe I can ask the guy who built my pc and did it if you want, so we can make sure this one will work well without the need of doing weird stuff.

I'll see if I can get the one you linked to me, much appreciated mate!

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    1,192 Posts
    From what you said, it sounds like he flashed the BIOS. Or in simpler terms "updated" the motherboard. Usually you only flash the BIOS when there's a problem or if you don't feel like buying a new motherboard and want to make your old one compatible with newer hardware. It's generally a "don't fix it if it isn't broken" situation though because flashing your BIOS can render your mobo useless.

The reason he had to do it is unknown, and it really doesn't matter now. But I assure you that this mobo will work just fine! :) And if for some reason you can't find the one I suggested, just look for any mobo that is made for an AM2+ socket CPU and you will be fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member

February 2008
    5,016 Posts
    So my psu recently randomly sparked while playing Tribes (Guess I was going too fast), and the spark ignited a flame that burned something but I couldn't tell what it was. As a result my pc stopped working, initially I bought a new psu of 600W, and then after trying my pc components one by one, turns out what burned was the motherboard and that's why it's not working. (Won't go on details on how's it not working, it's probably the motherboard, everything else works fine on another computer)
    I don't want to doubt your knowledge but what 600W PSU did you buy?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    February 2011
    1,959 Posts
    I'll see if I can buy that one, and my 600W PSU is on the OP, check the specs. Why?

And doubt my knolwedge, it's not much about computers

9. Post #9
    Gold Member

February 2008
    5,016 Posts
    I'll see if I can buy that one, and my 600W PSU is on the OP, check the specs. Why?

And doubt my knolwedge, it's not much about computers
    You bought a no-named 600W PSU. The manufacturer doesn't seem to have a website nor can I find anything else about them or the model itself online. So far I'll imagine your PSU is unlikely able to pull 600 watts and likely runs the risk of damaging components connected to it. Return it and get a PSU from a highly reputable manufacturer, such as SeaSonic or Super Flower (or whatever brand re-brands them for a cheaper price). Make sure the models themselves are also properly reviewed ie load tested, ripple levels ...etc.

Where do you shop and ship components to? If you're going to look around then you should look at this database for further information, this will assist you greatly: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    February 2011
    1,959 Posts
    Alrighto, today I'll probably go and check around the stores if I can find or order that motherboard and get myself a better PSU, as apparently it could be volatile.

If I can't find the motherboard, I'll have to buy a new processor then, which might be good because I wanted to upgrade it anyways but it'll be more dosh I've to spend.

Thanks for the help! Hopefully it'll be as new soon.