1. Post #1
    A true breast lover loves all breasts, regardless of the size.
    May 2010
    2,493 Posts
    I already have a monitor, OS, mouse, keyboard, and two external hard drives that I am going to take out and use (I guess I would need to buy some sata cables? or would those come with the motherboard?). I would like a small faster drive to boot off though, but I can always get that later.

I'll be playing at a resolution of 1920x1080, the most demanding game I'll play is probably going to be BF3. I also edit a lot of videos with sony vegas and plan on getting into using Maya 3d.

Could I get some help please? I'd like to receive everything by the weekend if possible.

2. Post #2
    February 2011
    93 Posts
    Well i Remember when i got my Mobo it came with sata cables

What all are you hoping to do on it?

3. Post #3
    May 2010
    2,493 Posts
    Battlefield 3, source games, and video editing.

4. Post #4
    May 2010
    2,493 Posts
    Okay, so I'm going above my budget a bit, but how does this look?

Watching youtube videos, seems like it should run bf3 pretty well on ultra at 1080p. Will add an SSD and a second GPU down the road.

5. Post #5
    March 2010
    1,475 Posts
    if you already have two hard drives, there's no reason to spend extra money on a third one that you don't need

also if you want a i5 2500k, get an aftermarket heatsink so you can overclock it to a good speed without your CPU shooting itself

6. Post #6
    May 2010
    2,493 Posts
    I just went ahead and added one since I wanted a 7200 rpm drive. And I suppose I'll go with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=rgkho6ewiczf unless someone can recommend something better?

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,775 Posts
    I just went ahead and added one since I wanted a 7200 rpm drive. And I suppose I'll go with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=rgkho6ewiczf unless someone can recommend something better?
    The 212 evo is better but the 212+ will do you just fine, I've seen some people get to 4.3 ghz on a 212 and about 49c at full load.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    909 Posts
    A ssd would nice since you have 2 hard drives.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,600 Posts
    212+ is fine

8GB RAM is fine, but don't waste your money on anything more than DDR3-1333 or RAM with heat spreaders. For one, they are pointless and even ddr3-2133 shows minimal performance boosts over 1333. Heatspreaders will also interfere with your H212+.

10. Post #10
    May 2010
    2,493 Posts
    The 212 evo is better but the 212+ will do you just fine, I've seen some people get to 4.3 ghz on a 212 and about 49c at full load.
    Switched to the evo since its only a bit more.

A ssd would nice since you have 2 hard drives.
    I'll get one next month probably.

212+ is fine

8GB RAM is fine, but don't waste your money on anything more than DDR3-1333 or RAM with heat spreaders. For one, they are pointless and even ddr3-2133 shows minimal performance boosts over 1333. Heatspreaders will also interfere with your H212+.
    changed ram for something a bit cheaper.

Current build after changing some stuff around

Dropped the extra harddrive since I'll be putting two in already. And thinking about a Rosewell power supply to save some cash. Is Rosewell a good brand? And I'm guessing 600w would be adequate for my setup?

11. Post #11
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    15,949 Posts
    Switched to the evo since its only a bit more.

I'll get one next month probably.

changed ram for something a bit cheaper.

Current build after changing some stuff around

Dropped the extra harddrive since I'll be putting two in already. And thinking about a Rosewell power supply to save some cash. Is Rosewell a good brand? And I'm guessing 600w would be adequate for my setup?
    If you want to save money on the PSU just get a lower wattage good brand, don't get a lower quality one like Rosewill. You'd be good on anything above 500w, I'd probably do one labeled 550-600 or one with around 450+W on the 12v rail.

12. Post #12
    May 2010
    2,493 Posts

Went with a 650w, saved myself $20. Any recommendations for a case in the $50 to $75 range? I know nothing about cases, so I just picked a random cheap one with decent ratings. Other than that, I think this will be the build I'll buy, thanks for the help.

Edited:

Think I'll go ahead with this case. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811146067 Seems roomy, youtube reviews say the fan controls are great.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,600 Posts

Went with a 650w, saved myself $20. Any recommendations for a case in the $50 to $75 range? I know nothing about cases, so I just picked a random cheap one with decent ratings. Other than that, I think this will be the build I'll buy, thanks for the help.

Edited:

Think I'll go ahead with this case. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811146067 Seems roomy, youtube reviews say the fan controls are great.
    HAF 912 (922 if you can spend 100, it's like $10 off right now too)
    NZXT Source 210 Elite

And others, but for the hardware you're getting you don't really need a massive case

14. Post #14
    May 2010
    2,493 Posts
    Wouldn't a bigger case be worth it for better airflow? I'll be loading tons of hard drives into it at a later point, along with a second GPU.

Edited:

and I saw this combo http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...t=Combo.770956

Same CPU, same gpu but with another GB of video memory. But does cooler master make reliable PSUs?

Edited:

Do I even need an aftermarket heatsink at the moment? I don't plan on overclocking right away, I'm just getting the k edition so I have that option in the future.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,320 Posts
    Wouldn't a bigger case be worth it for better airflow? I'll be loading tons of hard drives into it at a later point, along with a second GPU.

Edited:

and I saw this combo http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...t=Combo.770956

Same CPU, same gpu but with another GB of video memory. But does cooler master make reliable CPUs?

Edited:

Do I even need an aftermarket heatsink at the moment? I don't plan on overclocking right away, I'm just getting the k edition so I have that option in the future.
    I'm going to assume you mean cases, they make excellent cases, but some would say that the Storm Enforcer is lacking at its price point and I've heard the airflow isn't amazing on it. Overall it seems like a solid combo apart from the graphics card. It's not that there is anything wrong with the card itself, it's just that 2GB versions of the 560 Ti are pointless as the card isn't even powerful enough to handle something that would take more than the standard 1GB. On the topic of heatsinks, sticking with the stock one isn't something to worry about, but it probably would make the chip last longer with a proper one on it.

Edited:

I kinda derped and now realize that by CPU you meant PSU, it really depends on the model. The one in the combo however doesn't really put out 600w, more around 450w, but if you don't stress it out too much you could get away with it. If I were you I would say better safe then sorry and get a new PSU on top of the build and keep that one as a backup or something.

16. Post #16
    May 2010
    2,493 Posts
    So it's not worth an extra $30 to get the 2 gb version of the card?

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,320 Posts
    For the price, you would be better off going for a GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores.

Edited:

Take the build you posted before, replace the Rosewill Challenger with a HAF 912, replace the ASUS p67 with the ASRock Z68 Extreme3, and if you want to save just a little bit more then switch the Corsair TX650 with an Antec NEO ECO. Then the card if you want, it's better than a regular 560 Ti because it is built on what the 570 and 580 are built on, just with some processing cores locked or taken off or some shit.

18. Post #18
    May 2010
    2,493 Posts
    For the price, you would be better off going for a GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores.
    I'll take your advice and get that.

Current Set up

Comes to $908, I'll keep the CPU at stock rates until I get a cooler. Think this is what I'll get, thanks for the help everybody.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,320 Posts
    Without a Hyper 212 EVO and with everything I mentioned, it comes out to $870, subtract $23 in promo codes brings it to $847, then subtract $30 in mail in rebates for a total of $817.

Edited:

Oh, alright then, glad I was of some help

20. Post #20
    May 2010
    2,493 Posts
    Without a Hyper 212 EVO and with everything I mentioned, it comes out to $870, subtract $23 in promo codes brings it to $847, then subtract $30 in mail in rebates for a total of $817.

Edited:

Oh, alright then, glad I was of some help
    I didn't see your edit. The more I save the better, so I'll go with those.

Edited:

I actually save more than what you said I would, after I subtract mail in rebates it is only $790.92.

Thanks

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,320 Posts
    Ahh you switched the optical drive, didn't notice that. That's why my math was off

22. Post #22
    PLAY IT LOUD!!!
    February 2010
    2,875 Posts
    Your motherboard doesn't support the RAM you got.
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/memory.us.a...xtreme3%20Gen3

Make sure you don't cash in your mail-in rebates until AFTER you know your computer works. Once you cash them in, you can no longer send your items back to Newegg, but only the manufacturer of them. Also, be sure to save your package and other boxes and rip none of the stickers off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,471 Posts
    I've seen people use the G.SKILL value RAM with the Extreme3. Those lists are just ones that they've gone and approved themselves.

24. Post #24
    PLAY IT LOUD!!!
    February 2010
    2,875 Posts
    I've seen people use the G.SKILL value RAM with the Extreme3. Those lists are just ones that they've gone and approved themselves.
    I put some non-supported RAM in my mobo and my computer didn't work, so these lists aren't bullshit.

Don't think it was me doing something stupid like putting DDR2 in a DDR3 slot either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,471 Posts
    I put some non-supported RAM in my mobo and my computer didn't work, so these lists aren't bullshit.
    So the ram not working in your computer means that every motherboard is only compatible with the ones on the manufacturer lists? That's ridiculous. I never said the lists were bullshit, I said that they don't encompass all RAM kits on the market, and there are ones not on the list that will work.

26. Post #26
    PLAY IT LOUD!!!
    February 2010
    2,875 Posts
    So the ram not working in your computer means that every motherboard is only compatible with the ones on the manufacturer lists? That's ridiculous. I never said the lists were bullshit, I said that they don't encompass all RAM kits on the market, and there are ones not on the list that will work.
    It might save you some trouble though, trouble I wish I could have avoided.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    May 2010
    2,493 Posts
    Could someone recommend me some cheap ram that would undoubtedly work then? I just want to be sure.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,431 Posts

Make sure you don't cash in your mail-in rebates until AFTER you know your computer works. Once you cash them in, you can no longer send your items back to Newegg, but only the manufacturer of them. Also, be sure to save your package and other boxes and rip none of the stickers off.
    As far as I remember, having RAM with high voltages could be potentially be bad for you CPU, but this is only 1.5v, and as such not unusually high in any way (I think Intel lists a specification of 1.65v). I have never in the the two years I've made builds for people on here, heard of people having problems with their RAM because of some kind of incompability. Faulty RAM, yes, incompability, no.
    I honestly haven't really seen you posting good advice yet, and maybe you should look around in the section a bit longer before posting advice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    November 2010
    1,692 Posts
    That RAM is fine, as is the motherboard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,205 Posts

RAM isn't something that changes much between devices. They are all made to conform to standards, so as long as you've got the right DDR'x' and the right RAM clock speed, there will be no issues.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)