1. Post #601
    February 2010
    294 Posts
    Finally got a little work done on my entry. Arches were being a pain.

I shall call it: cp_steel

Ignore the seams in the textures. That's me lighting everything weirdly and it won't be like that in the final.
    Ahhh.... sweet relativity. When I saw the first picture of it (not in this post) I thought it was relativity or waterfalls inspired.... looks like relativity is the winner!

2. Post #602
    January 2009
    685 Posts
    What about Nodraw textures and particle effects (info_particle_system) ?

Edited:

What about Tools/Nodraw textures and particle effects (info_particle_system) ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

3. Post #603
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    What about Nodraw textures and particle effects (info_particle_system) ?

Edited:

What about Tools/Nodraw textures and particle effects (info_particle_system) ?
    Because a nodraw map would look more amazing than J!m's map...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #604
    J!m
    I Love Big Gay Dragons
    June 2009
    1,406 Posts
    Because a nodraw map would look more amazing than J!m's map...
    Of course it will

5. Post #605
    January 2009
    685 Posts
    I just mean for faces you dont see anyways :P

6. Post #606
    Do I look like I speak squirrel?
    November 2010
    2,278 Posts
    Meh

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Thailand Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #607
    HASHTAG!
    January 2012
    551 Posts
    It's taking shape, only thing that annoys me is they lights at the bottom of the doorframes. Could maybe turn the brightness down a little.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

8. Post #608
    March 2009
    564 Posts
    crazy displacements
    Why is it grey?

9. Post #609
    September 2011
    687 Posts

I hit brush limit now
    Excuse the stupid question, but are the pillars and things on the walls models?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #610
    March 2010
    1,485 Posts
    Keep reading.

did that ages ago

red are models

11. Post #611
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,108 Posts
    It's so easy to identify models in the current source engine. If it's not self-shadowed and it's limited to vertex lighting (or origin lighting if it's dynamic or has bumpmaps) you can be certain it's a model

12. Post #612
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    4,491 Posts
    They weren't but he hit the brush limit so he had to use propper on them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

13. Post #613
    Probably the most arrogant mapper in the World
    June 2007
    1,728 Posts

Continued working with this and started adding more rooms. The door isn't really that wide, it just that the objects get stretched in the sides of the screen. Looks fine when you look straight at it as you can see in the second screen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12Winner Winner x 5Mapping King Mapping King x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #614
    March 2010
    1,078 Posts

Continued working with this and started adding more rooms. The door isn't really that wide, it just that the objects get stretched in the sides of the screen. Looks fine when you straight at it as you can see in the second screen.
    Oh my god that's amazing. Is this supposed to be in a higher floor of a building? I seems like it is with that dev texture block out of the window. Hopefully you'll detail it a bit more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #615
    June 2007
    1,728 Posts
    Oh my god that's amazing. Is this supposed to be in a higher floor of a building? I seems like it is with that dev texture block out of the window. Hopefully you'll detail it a bit more.
    Yeah it's the top 2 floors of a 35-storey apartment building. And don't worry, I will add a detailed 3D-skybox later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

16. Post #616
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    332 Posts

Continued working with this and started adding more rooms. The door isn't really that wide, it just that the objects get stretched in the sides of the screen. Looks fine when you look straight at it as you can see in the second screen.
    Mirror's Edge, anyone?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Mexico Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #617
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    4,491 Posts
    That reminds me a little of some of the rooms in mirrors edge. Nice work!

Edited:

DAMN NINJAS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 2 (list)

18. Post #618
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts
    That reminds me a little of some of the rooms in mirrors edge. Nice work!

Edited:

DAMN NINJAS
    I guess you could say it looks unreal V

Anyone?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Zing Zing x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #619
    January 2009
    685 Posts
    Why should I participate at this contest when you show off with screenshots like these??

20. Post #620
    June 2007
    1,728 Posts
    Why should I participate at this contest when you show off with screenshots like these??
    To get better at mapping and then post screenshots like those.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

21. Post #621
    March 2010
    1,078 Posts
    Mirror's Edge, anyone?
    YES YES YES YES YES and a billions times YES. See, this is why I love the Facepunch Mapping section, there's always SOMEONE making a Mirror's Edge looking map (a.k.a. modern architecture). I think the worst part about that is Aspen did that kind of stuff all the time, with the last screenshots he posted were of a city just like Mirror's Edge, reusing textures or textures looking like they were from the actual game. Once again, it's been a while, but he'll be missed (even if every other post he did was him flaming someone).

22. Post #622
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,052 Posts
    YES YES YES YES YES and a billions times YES. See, this is why I love the Facepunch Mapping section, there's always SOMEONE making a Mirror's Edge looking map (a.k.a. modern architecture). I think the worst part about that is Aspen did that kind of stuff all the time, with the last screenshots he posted were of a city just like Mirror's Edge, reusing textures or textures looking like they were from the actual game. Once again, it's been a while, but he'll be missed (even if every other post he did was him flaming someone).
    Hiyougami's Freecity maps are easily the best Mirror's Edge style maps I've seen
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #623
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    9,991 Posts
    I'm not entering but I'm showcasing what else you can do with dev textures

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 4Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

24. Post #624
    I Got That Swollen Hand Blues
    March 2009
    2,516 Posts

You made that a long time ago, I feel like you're just trying to show off your work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

25. Post #625
    March 2010
    1,078 Posts
    You made that a long time ago, I feel like you're just trying to show off your work.
    Exactly what he's doing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #626
    J!m
    I Love Big Gay Dragons
    June 2009
    1,406 Posts
    Todays progress

Will probably change up the displacements a bit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #627
    March 2010
    1,078 Posts
    Todays progress

Am I wrong by saying that that sand(ish) looking texture isn't a dev texture? If it it, what is it then?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #628
    J!m
    I Love Big Gay Dragons
    June 2009
    1,406 Posts
    Am I wrong by saying that that sand(ish) looking texture isn't a dev texture? If it it, what is it then?
    dev/dev_blendmeasure

29. Post #629
    March 2010
    1,078 Posts
    dev/dev_blendmeasure
    Ah. Then that's awesome. Good job.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #630
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    2,061 Posts
    For some reason I really dig the dev textures that form the terrain.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

31. Post #631
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,958 Posts
    Todays progress

this is so sick
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

32. Post #632
    January 2009
    685 Posts
    It's about eye-candy, isn't it? So which engine would you recommend to use? I think I'll go for L4D2, so add my name to the list please, Mr Anonymous (when you're unbanned again).

33. Post #633
    June 2007
    1,728 Posts
    Oh, banned once again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny x 2Zing x 1Dumb x 1Informative x 1Late x 1 (list)

34. Post #634
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,983 Posts
    All I have so far
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

35. Post #635
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    9,647 Posts
    Do you suppose the dust particles in my map should be the same color as the ambient light, or the main light?

36. Post #636
    October 2009
    599 Posts
    I have been working on this thing. I'm mostly using direct lighting because sunlight breaks the detailsprites on slopes. Also because i want to make a early morning kind of ambiance.

I'll break up that mud with some decals later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Optimistic Optimistic x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

37. Post #637
    ONE HUNDRED PERCENT NIGGER
    September 2009
    550 Posts
    I have been working on this thing. I'm mostly using direct lighting because sunlight breaks the detailsprites on slopes. Also because i want to make a early morning kind of ambiance.

I'll break up that mud with some decals later.
    Those dev textures look amazing...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 10Funny Funny x 3 (list)

38. Post #638
    October 2009
    599 Posts
    Those dev textures look amazing...
    Oh god I almost forgot about the contest!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Funny Funny x 5Mapping King Mapping King x 2 (list)

39. Post #639
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Oh god I almost forgot about the contest!
    I was thinking earlier "i have laods of time"...

I don't really :)

Might finish it off tonight.

Can someone yell at me to get off minecraft at about 7.30 pm :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #640
    October 2009
    599 Posts
    I just now realized I posted this in the wrong thread. Wow I feel dumb. I really need to start getting some sleep.

Sorry!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Funny Funny x 7Winner Winner x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)