1. Post #241
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,159 Posts
    I wonder if i'll make it into the beta...

Can't wait to see how this turns out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #242
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,592 Posts
    totally going to help make an NC air assault outfit

credits to Mr. Cookie, dunno if he browses this thread

3. Post #243
    November 2010
    5,733 Posts
    So I looked at that little bit of gameplay footage

Well it sure looks like they didn't want to stray far away from the whole "It's an MMO!", like the insanely long time to kill, the force of the grenade throw and the shifty animations, and the HUD looks like it's been ripped right out of BF3, but I'm still looking forward to it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events

4. Post #244
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    9,018 Posts

Well it sure looks like they didn't want to stray far away from the whole "It's an MMO!", like the insanely long time to kill, the force of the grenade throw and the shifty animations, and the HUD looks like it's been ripped right out of BF3, but I'm still looking forward to it
    Okey so:
    1. Insanely long time to kill. -Welcome to Planetside, shields and a good amount of hit points. Overreaction.
    2. The force of the grenade throw. -Pretty standard shit, even in a normal fantasy MMO (other kinds of throws, that is).
    3. Shifty animations. -Very early beta.
    4. Hud ripped from BF3. -Not really, no real similarities at all except for showing ammo and clip amount, maybe squad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

5. Post #245
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    3,553 Posts
    4. Hud ripped from BF3. -Not really, no real similarities at all except for showing ammo and clip amount, maybe squad.
    I wouldn't called it 'ripped', but the positioning is pretty much the same as BF3, if that even matters.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

6. Post #246
    December 2011
    1,337 Posts
    I wouldn't called it 'ripped', but the positioning is pretty much the same as BF3, if that even matters.

If it works, dont try to fix it. Or do you expect EA to sue them because they invented that hud positioning? Like Apple loves to?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

7. Post #247
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,313 Posts
    Post a picture of the BF3 hud so others know what you're talking about.

Edited:

Okay, saw a picture of it.

That hud is pretty much the same as some other games that were released earlier. It's just a flipped version of the standard hud.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

8. Post #248
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    9,018 Posts
    Just got myself resubbed to Station, time to play some Planetside~

9. Post #249
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,052 Posts
    tell me about it.

the mag went to shit just as the internet started to boom with game blogs and shit. and even then it wasn't very good.

they gave hellgate london an 8.something

yes i'll say it again. pc gamer reviewed hellgate london and gave it a high 8 out of ten
    Hellgate: London is one of those games that everybody says is shit now, but back when it came out every reviewer was like 'this is best game ever'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

10. Post #250
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    9,018 Posts
    Holy shit, PS1 is pretty damn populated, atleast on this continent (Ishundar). Playing as TR, known as HeinrichVonKrieg.

11. Post #251
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,052 Posts
    Yeah, I was playing PS1 last year. There's only one server, but there's still a major battle or two happening at any given point in the day.

12. Post #252
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    3,553 Posts
    If it works, dont try to fix it. Or do you expect EA to sue them because they invented that hud positioning? Like Apple loves to?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

13. Post #253
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    this is a song to help the waiting:

seriously i want to play Planetside 2 right now

14. Post #254
    DANK
    July 2011
    10,350 Posts
    I feel like I've been waiting for this game forever.
    Looks really good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

15. Post #255
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    10,982 Posts

Whining about animations and a HUD for something that's not finished yet, stay classy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

16. Post #256
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    dude that's half of what he said.

except it should be fairly easy to kill someone with the right weapon if you've got good aim.

in the first one back before all there merges the client side hit detection was much more reliable. i basically got worse at the game the more players further away from me joined in due to server merges and other reasons.

this will be my first game for my new computer. it had better have the old planetside feel to it, just less retarded.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events

17. Post #257
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,719 Posts
    Not sure what Mastahamma is whining about, in Planetside it took... 11 bullets to kill people? Something like that. The game had a slow pace in small scale infantry combat, but believe me you didn't notice during base assaults.

Anyway educate yourself Mastahamma, and realize that other contemporary FPS betas played like ass too. Were you a part of the BF3 beta? I'm sure you remember how much of a buggy piece of shit that was, and it was no where near the scale of this game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #258
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    i just hope i get my thumper.

and they make the rocklet launcher not completely useless.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #259
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,364 Posts
    Not sure what Mastahamma is whining about, in Planetside it took... 11 bullets to kill people? Something like that. The game had a slow pace in small scale infantry combat, but believe me you didn't notice during base assaults.

Anyway educate yourself Mastahamma, and realize that other contemporary FPS betas played like ass too. Were you a part of the BF3 beta? I'm sure you remember how much of a buggy piece of shit that was, and it was no where near the scale of this game.
    it's still a buggy POS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

20. Post #260
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,052 Posts
    I just wanna be able to hold all the vehicle certs, because flying was so damn fun.

Though I'm a little disappointed that the Mosquito and Reaver are faction-specific now. I mean, I guess all three faction gunships will fit the same roles, but I liked having two small one-man planes that were good for completely different things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #261
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    15,081 Posts
    I just wanna be able to hold all the vehicle certs, because flying was so damn fun.

Though I'm a little disappointed that the Mosquito and Reaver are faction-specific now. I mean, I guess all three faction gunships will fit the same roles, but I liked having two small one-man planes that were good for completely different things.
    Yeah there are some things which I would have kept ps1 style, like the certs and the vehicles, and maybe even the slower pace.

But there is so many cool shit about ps2 that I don't think I'll care that much when I get my hands on it.

22. Post #262
    Mp6
    March 2007
    398 Posts
    Every vehicle and class will be available without certing right when you first log in, you wont have to cert for every vehicle they will just already be available to you.

23. Post #263
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    19,841 Posts
    Every vehicle and class will be available without certing right when you first log in, you wont have to cert for every vehicle they will just already be available to you.
    Not sure I like that. Having Certs meant you filled a role. If anyone can fill any role at any given time, then it might make for some FOTM One Kit Beat All gameplay that will kind of be bland
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #264
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,685 Posts
    You have infinite cert points but you can only fulfill one role at a time.

I find this to be a better system than finite cert points with almost limitless customization.

25. Post #265
    I SHOULDN'T OWN A FIREARM
    May 2005
    7,500 Posts

I wanted to see a galaxy or a liberator that were retrofitted to be a command and control aircraft. The Mossy had that overflight RADAR, but I wanted to see something with virtually no weapons and all electronic equipment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

26. Post #266
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,052 Posts
    I wanted to see a galaxy or a liberator that were retrofitted to be a command and control aircraft. The Mossy had that overflight RADAR, but I wanted to see something with virtually no weapons and all electronic equipment.
    That would be the shit. I'm not sure what it could really do besides give a few people an excellent view of the battle, though.

27. Post #267
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    15,081 Posts
    how would that work from a game mechanic point of view?

28. Post #268
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,878 Posts
    how would that work from a game mechanic point of view?
    Well it could give you an amazing advantage if implemented correctly.
    The sensors would reveal enemies on your allies minimap, Perhaps some kind of "scanner pulse" would allow your soldiers a brief view of enemies through walls. In short, the galaxy's combat effectiveness is 0 but it gives your allies Information superiority.

It could spot multiple targets for long range artillery, meaning the enemies take a massive pounding from afar.

Perhaps it could also speed up facility hacking due to it's cyber warfare system, of course someone must initiate the hack but with the command ship in range, the hack time is reduced.

In short, and aircraft will little combat capability besides a few self defence guns, but something people want to destroy quickly.

I can think of variants, like something that lacks the scanner pulse in favour of advanced sensors that can detect stealth. Or jammers that prevent turrets and other defences from working properly.

Or one that has stealth systems instead of the extra self defence gun.

Imagine the CO and his crew having some cool cyber warfare and command interface, say someone starts a tower hack, they can request someone on the gunship start doing a hacking minigame in lieu of your man just sitting there with his back exposed. Or they get a readout of the hostile base systems and they can interfear with them by doing a Deus Ex HR style hack puzzle to override them and cause al manner of havok.

I would give my left Nipple-nut to have such a vehicle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 5Agree Agree x 3 (list)

29. Post #269
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,719 Posts

With the vehicle customization, you have to actually choose between being a jack of all trades or specializing in air/ground attack weapons. Air to air fighters won't be equipped the same way as air to ground, but it will still be the same vehicle. Think of it as a more fleshed out version of BF3's vehicle customization, where the upgrades are bought with "cert points" you earn over time, even when you aren't playing.

Also thisguy123, awesome ideas, I think you're on to something with this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

30. Post #270
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    15,081 Posts
    The problem with those ideas is that very few devs are willing to devote a lot of time to generate game mechanics for a vehicle class that will have a niche role.

Sadly.

31. Post #271
    Gold Member

July 2007
    166 Posts
    The problem with those ideas is that very few devs are willing to devote a lot of time to generate game mechanics for a vehicle class that will have a niche role.

Sadly.
    Not necessarily from what I understand the vehicles are already customizable such as a mosquito can be outfitted for Anti-Air, Anti-Infantry, or Anti-Vehicle by replacing certain weapons on the vehicle all people. From that standpoint the developers have already developed vehicles that fit into a "Niche" roll as you so put it. all people are recommending here is that another set of Electronic Warfare modules be implemented into the game instead of just standard weapons which could very well happen seeing as how the game is still very early on in development and nothing really set in stone.

32. Post #272
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,685 Posts
    I would totally fly an EWAR gunship.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

33. Post #273
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    i hope the EMP mines actually work this time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events

34. Post #274

January 2005
    74 Posts
    Worth making a PS1 account to play? Still thousands of players? I remember playing a trial of it for 2 weeks like 5 years ago, the game blew my mind then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

35. Post #275
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    9,018 Posts
    Worth making a PS1 account to play? Still thousands of players? I remember playing a trial of it for 2 weeks like 5 years ago, the game blew my mind then.
    Still has a fair amount of players, constant battles are going on and huge raids happen every now and then.

We nearly took over Ishundar (TR) when both Vanu and NC came out of freaking nowhere and drop podded the shit out of the geowarp and it's surrounding stations, fought for it until BOTH got in to the cavern and got stuck in there and was there until the time of it nearly ended, where then NC got the upperhand and took over the east part of Ishundar and Vanu took the west from us.

36. Post #276
    Mp6
    March 2007
    398 Posts
    Even though everybody will have immediate access to the classes and vehicles that doesn't mean that they have all of the side-grades for them, in the GDC gameplay videos Higby was describing how he spec'd his reaver out to be better for anti-armor, he also showed the customization screens for the reaver and vangaurd so keep in mind that even though everybody will have access to all vehicles they will still need to unlock the side-grades to have the full functionality of each vehicle/class.

37. Post #277
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    6,692 Posts
    New Alpha milestone video

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ex...tside-2/728575

Beta should be soon hopefully
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

38. Post #278
    November 2010
    5,733 Posts
    New Alpha milestone video

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ex...tside-2/728575

Beta should be soon hopefully
    I like what I'm seeing, the huge spaces should allow for some logically scaled dogfights, and I like how there are still enough interiors for infantry combat to still make sense. BF3 fucked up in this aspect, trying so hard to make the maps huge, but in the end, the airplanes go slower than a fast car, and infantry are just free points for vehicles. Hopefully this won't have that problem, and they seem to be doing a good job preventing this. I also really hope most infantry guns are hitscan, as weird as it sounds, so that guns would still have enough range for open field combat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events

39. Post #279
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    7,463 Posts
    well the thing about most landscapes is that there were rarely if ever flat unforested places where battle seemed drawn to happen.

pretty much every outdoor battle i've been in during my play of planetside, except bridge battles, infantry has plenty of cover to use to surprise vehicles, be it ridges or rocks or trees. that's the great thing about planetside, you need your infantry support for any assault or it simply won't work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

40. Post #280
    Streetwise Angel Booksmart Devil
    January 2010
    3,038 Posts
    well the thing about most landscapes is that there were rarely if ever flat unforested places where battle seemed drawn to happen.

pretty much every outdoor battle i've been in during my play of planetside, except bridge battles, infantry has plenty of cover to use to surprise vehicles, be it ridges or rocks or trees. that's the great thing about planetside, you need your infantry support for any assault or it simply won't work.
    And I have plenty of hills to launch my lightning off of to surprise infantry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events