1. Post #121
    March 2010
    1,028 Posts
    The T-Junction message doesn't have anything to do with func_detail, it's a general error caused by intersecting brushes which can happen to both bsp, and brush entities.
    Wait, are you serious? So basically, that mean I need to clean my brushes up a bit more, and it'll go away?

2. Post #122
    January 2010
    288 Posts
    I'll be honest. The main thing preventing me from just tossing up my nightly build of the map for you all to download is a bug that no one on earth seems to have had before.
    If anyone can solve this for me, nightly builds for everyone.
    I'll edit this post in a bit with a video of the bug.

Is it bad my compile time is just short of 6 minutes? 5:59. Although that could be due to the fact i don't have the best processor.

3. Post #123
    Do not (c)lick
    Dennab
    March 2012
    1,461 Posts
    If you could throw me a copy, bugs or not, that'd be great. This map looks fun how it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #124
    March 2010
    1,028 Posts
    I'll be honest. The main thing preventing me from just tossing up my nightly build of the map for you all to download is a bug that no one on earth seems to have had before.
    If anyone can solve this for me, nightly builds for everyone.
    I'll edit this post in a bit with a video of the bug.

Is it bad my compile time is just short of 6 minutes? 5:59. Although that could be due to the fact i don't have the best processor.
    6 min? What are you compiling it on, normal? If you are, then that, to me, is good (probably because i have an unoptimized map that takes like an hour to compile with VIS on fast . Better get dem area portals and propper).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #125
    January 2010
    288 Posts
    6 min? What are you compiling it on, normal? If you are, then that, to me, is good (probably because i have an unoptimized map that takes like an hour to compile with VIS on fast . Better get dem area portals and propper).
    I just hit F9 > Ok

Whatever the default settings are.. Oh, i think a while back someone told me to compile it with HDR on.. So there's that. Ad as far as i know, there are no area portals in my map.

6. Post #126
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    3,333 Posts
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...ojectedtexture

DO ITS NOW. :D

you can do it in the pretty color room. Instead of pretty colors. :)

Also, Are you func_detailing your crap?
    You really should func_detail or something to convex curves. They hit vvis hard. also you can click "map" at the top and go down to "Show (or is it Load?) Area Portals" and load up the .prt file. The blue boxes show your leafs. https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Visleafs yay. Also. use func_viscluster over a large area. That will give vvis a heck of a jumpstart. It basically says. "All these brushes can see each other, so don't bother" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzUBDMuVQmA
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Informative Informative x 2 (list)

7. Post #127
    March 2010
    1,028 Posts
    Thanks for the viscluster tip. Haven't used it ever, and right now, I'm suffering from crappy compile times. Unfortunately, it won't actually optimize my map (right?), so it's useless for that.I need to make sure is actually good, because right now, it's crap. At least I can know it's crap faster
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #128
    Dennab
    March 2012
    2,607 Posts
    Thanks for the viscluster tip. Haven't used it ever, and right now, I'm suffering from crappy compile times. Unfortunately, it won't actually optimize my map (right?), so it's useless for that.I need to make sure is actually good, because right now, it's crap. At least I can know it's crap faster
    If you have a big open space containing several uninterrupted visleafs (visleafs are cut every 1024 units) then using a viscluster will tie them together. This does infact optimize the map (Assumeing they all have similar visibility) since it reducing the leaf number. Leaks take time to process.

9. Post #129
    March 2010
    1,028 Posts
    If you have a big open space containing several uninterrupted visleafs (visleafs are cut every 1024 units) then using a viscluster will tie them together. This does infact optimize the map (Assumeing they all have similar visibility) since it reducing the leaf number. Leaks take time to process.
    Even better. Guess I AM optimizing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #130
    January 2010
    288 Posts
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...ojectedtexture

DO ITS NOW. :D

you can do it in the pretty color room. Instead of pretty colors. :)

Also, Are you func_detailing your crap?
    You really should func_detail or something to convex curves. They hit vvis hard. also you can click "map" at the top and go down to "Show (or is it Load?) Area Portals" and load up the .prt file. The blue boxes show your leafs. https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Visleafs yay. Also. use func_viscluster over a large area. That will give vvis a heck of a jumpstart. It basically says. "All these brushes can see each other, so don't bother" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzUBDMuVQmA
    Im func_Detailing anything with an odd shape, or that isnt square.. Thanks for the tip of the func_Viscluster

And about the projected texture.. Can you find me a tutorial?

11. Post #131
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    3,333 Posts
    Im func_Detailing anything with an odd shape, or that isnt square.. Thanks for the tip of the func_Viscluster

And about the projected texture.. Can you find me a tutorial?
    http://bit.ly/H3uKqp here is a good one. also be careful what you are func_detailing. You may create leaks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Informative Informative x 2 (list)

12. Post #132
    January 2010
    288 Posts
    http://bit.ly/H3uKqp here is a good one. also be careful what you are func_detailing. You may create leaks.
    No, i've got the hang of func_detail. I meant a tutorial about env_projectedtexture

And to anyone wanting to beta test this for me, you need to message me on steam to get a copy. or add me on skype
    random_mister_blue

Edited:

No, i've got the hang of func_detail. I meant a tutorial about env_projectedtexture

On another note, here are the bugs preventing me from releasing the map. Any help in resolving them will be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

13. Post #133
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,549 Posts

And to anyone wanting to beta test this for me, you need to message me on steam to get a copy. or add me on skype
    random_mister_blue

Edited:

On another note, here are the bugs preventing me from releasing the map. Any help in resolving them will be greatly appreciated.

Don't think the limited light bridges are a bug, that's an engine limitation. As for the gel, try using the gel dispenser props and have the gel pour downwards.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #134
    January 2010
    288 Posts
    Don't think the limited light bridges are a bug, that's an engine limitation. As for the gel, try using the gel dispenser props and have the gel pour downwards.
    The odd thing is, they work completely fine when inside a smaller room. I can portal the funnel into the colorful room, and it works fine. Gel flows normally, and everything.

15. Post #135
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,127 Posts
    [h2]Wow so fucking helpful[/h2]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 3Informative x 1Dumb x 1Funny x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #136
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,549 Posts
    The odd thing is, they work completely fine when inside a smaller room. I can portal the funnel into the colorful room, and it works fine. Gel flows normally, and everything.
    Huh. I've never mapped for portal 2, nor do I know the entities very well. I could dabble with it and relay my findings.

17. Post #137
    February 2012
    310 Posts
    I'd like to try the map out, if you could allow it.

18. Post #138
    January 2010
    288 Posts
    I had an idea of tying certain elements in the map to func_physboxes, so you could literally pick them up and carry them around. Thoughts?

19. Post #139
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,127 Posts
    func_physboxes can be good with certain things, but don't forget that the lighting is very odd on them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #140
    Random guy
    March 2009
    1,914 Posts
    actually, I'm quite curious on how you made those portal gate...things...

21. Post #141
    May 2008
    746 Posts
    This is absolutely incredible! Half the stuff in this map I didn't even know where possible in Hammer, very impressive!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

22. Post #142
    January 2010
    288 Posts
    actually, I'm quite curious on how you made those portal gate...things...
    The portal gate things were made out of prop_linked_portal_doors
    They're like giant portals tied to doors.. That you can shoot portals through!

This is absolutely incredible! Half the stuff in this map I didn't even know where possible in Hammer, very impressive!
    Thanks for the compliment. But what didn't you know was possible? o.e

Also. I'll be adding a video of a redesign soon.. Changed an area of the map, moved some testing elements around. Other things.

23. Post #143
    January 2010
    288 Posts
    Sorry I havent added that new demo footage. Personal matters popped up which distracted me from the map. That's all done now, so i should have the footage up and recorded sometime soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #144
    March 2010
    1,028 Posts
    Sorry I havent added that new demo footage. Personal matters popped up which distracted me from the map. That's all done now, so i should have the footage up and recorded sometime soon.
    It's alright, take your time. Life comes first.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #145
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    14,402 Posts
    Make one for old aperture as well
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #146
    January 2010
    288 Posts
    New footage. Bit of a redesign, improved the cube spawners. Added captions for this video.

Oh! I got my compile time down to 4 minutes.

27. Post #147
    March 2009
    564 Posts
    Thanks for putting pipe decals behind the gel.

28. Post #148
    March 2010
    1,028 Posts
    You still need to align those textures, but still, good job. Keep it up!

29. Post #149
    January 2010
    288 Posts
    You still need to align those textures, but still, good job. Keep it up!
    I really thought i was getting better at that. Guess not. Any spots you can see that are horribly misaligned?

30. Post #150
    March 2010
    1,028 Posts
    I really thought i was getting better at that. Guess not. Any spots you can see that are horribly misaligned?
    Any spot where a square is cut off, what you can do if select a face, make it fit, and use a calculator and divide by a whole number until you get the right scale that you are looking for... or at least that's what I do. Then you'll have everything all nice and aligned, together, and with no cut off textures, like the square tiles. It take a bit of work to align a lot of stuff, but it makes the map look better too.

31. Post #151
    January 2010
    288 Posts
    Any spot where a square is cut off, what you can do if select a face, make it fit, and use a calculator and divide by a whole number until you get the right scale that you are looking for... or at least that's what I do. Then you'll have everything all nice and aligned, together, and with no cut off textures, like the square tiles. It take a bit of work to align a lot of stuff, but it makes the map look better too.
    Okay thanks for the tip

In other news, i just heard about this
    http://www.shacknews.com/article/735...lable-on-may-8

So i guess the map will be released then, in the workshop.

32. Post #152
    January 2010
    288 Posts
    I had an idea for two little boxes. They both contain world portals. You can carry them around and such... Of course being world portals, they only update themselves when you drop them... Thoughts?

Scratch that.. They dont work properly.

Oh... Added a buton to toggle low gravity in the main area of the map.

33. Post #153
    January 2010
    288 Posts
    Big question!

You know how in the portal 2 campaign, when you do certain things, it starts little sounds?
    Like when you first pick up the companion cube, it sings a little. Or when you go in the speed gel, it plays this music,

Or really interacting with any test element causes a little musical cue to play..

Does anyone know how to case that to happen in hammer? I've got no clue, and would love to implement these.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #154
    May 2010
    384 Posts
    Big question!

You know how in the portal 2 campaign, when you do certain things, it starts little sounds?
    Like when you first pick up the companion cube, it sings a little. Or when you go in the speed gel, it plays this music,

Or really interacting with any test element causes a little musical cue to play..

Does anyone know how to case that to happen in hammer? I've got no clue, and would love to implement these.
    Isn't the music dynamic or something? I recall something being said of the sort.

35. Post #155
    March 2010
    1,028 Posts
    Isn't the music dynamic or something? I recall something being said of the sort.
    The question is, however, how does one do it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #156
    May 2010
    384 Posts
    The developer wiki says portal 2 added 'sound operators', so that may be the case.

37. Post #157
    January 2010
    288 Posts
    That.... that is the question. I might offer a copy of the map to anyone who can reliably solve this question.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

38. Post #158
    January 2010
    288 Posts
    Anyone? Does anyone have any idea how to implement the dynamic music? I'll give you an early copy of the map if you can figure it out. I have no clue.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

39. Post #159
    rate me boxes in every post please, its my fetish
    August 2009
    8,147 Posts
    Anyone? Does anyone have any idea how to implement the dynamic music? I'll give you an early copy of the map if you can figure it out. I have no clue.
    I found this:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Soundscripts

And this:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Soundscape

I assume they'll be helpful, the articles sound like what you're looking for.

Edit:

So I did a little more looking around.
    Sound operators
    For defining complex audio behavior.
    That sounds about right.

40. Post #160
    January 2010
    288 Posts
    I found this:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Soundscripts

And this:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Soundscape

I assume they'll be helpful, the articles sound like what you're looking for.

Edit:

So I did a little more looking around.

That sounds about right.
    Edit:

I guess. But it doesn't say how to implement the specific things i need.

In semi related news, but awesome nonetheless. I managed to snag one of these:
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/p...1/?cpg=tw#tabs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)