1. Post #1
    March 2012
    67 Posts
    STEAMp3 is a revolutionary new media player designed for Steam. Including over 170 commands, achievements, skins, plug-ins and much more!

Listen to your favorite songs while you browse the web, talk to friends, and play games using the Steam integrated chat and private message commands. Share your music with friends and record live via Steam or in-game!

No music? No problem! STEAMp3 includes over 50 radio stations streaming live 24 hours a day. Add your own stations by linking to any .pls or .m3u file hosted on the web.

Earn achievements based on the songs you play and by using commands. The more achievements you earn, the higher your overall rank will be among other users.

Skins allow you to personalize the look and feel of STEAMp3. Choose from a long list of skins created by Ta0soft and users of the STEAMp3 community.

Microsoft Visual C# developers can create custom plug-ins using the STEAMp3 Development Kit (SDK) included with the setup and available on the Download page.

Read more about STEAMp3

STEAMp3 is open-source software, developed in Microsoft Visual C# 2010 and released under the Microsoft Public License (Ms-PL).

System requirements:
    .NET Framework 2.0
    Windows Media Player (10 or higher)
    Steam

Current version: 1.0.82
    Released: 03/14/12
    For more information visit: http://steamp3.ta0soft.com/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 31Dumb x 6Artistic x 3Useful x 2Disagree x 1Friendly x 1Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    July 2008
    3,478 Posts
    Seems kinda useless since most MP3 players take up little to no ram usage.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 22Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,741 Posts
    And why would I use this over Foobar? iTunes even?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 20 (list)

4. Post #4
    March 2012
    67 Posts
    Seems kinda useless since most MP3 players take up little to no ram usage.
    It uses a relatively low amount of ram considering it uses Windows Media Player (wmp.dll) to play and stream music.

And why would I use this over Foobar? iTunes even?
    Well its integrated with Steam using Open Steamworks, allowing you to use chat and private message commands, record live in-game and lots of other cool features, it's alot more than just an mp3 player. Supported on Windows XP/ME/Vista/7/8

Edit: It was designed as a replacement for outdated programs like hlss/hldj, I'm just trying to promote it lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7Dumb Dumb x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    July 2008
    3,478 Posts
    The only way I can really see this being helpful is if you don't want to alt tab every time you wanna change a song but even then most people have a mouse and/or keyboard with a next button. Still.. It's pretty cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    August 2008
    414 Posts
    It was designed as a replacement for outdated programs like hlss/hldj, I'm just trying to promote it lol
    The point of those programs were to play music over in-game voice chat, not just to play music. Any music player can play music. The GUI is very nice though.
    Also, where is the source code?

7. Post #7
    March 2012
    67 Posts
    The only way I can really see this being helpful is if you don't want to alt tab every time you wanna change a song but even then most people have a mouse and/or keyboard with a next button. Still.. It's pretty cool.
    I'm working on global hotkey support and (if possible) I want to add a directx overlay so you can view the steamp3 ui from the Steam overlay.

Edited:

The point of those programs were to play music over in-game voice chat, not just to play music. Any music player can play music. The GUI is very nice though.
    Also, where is the source code?
    You can play music over voice chat via Steam group chats and in-game :D
    Source code will be available on github shortly. I'll post a link soon.

8. Post #8
    That Dog
    March 2009
    12,820 Posts
    Is this something that runs integrated into steam or just alongside it?

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,115 Posts
    FLAC suppourt?

10. Post #10
    March 2012
    67 Posts
    Is this something that runs integrated into steam or just alongside it?
    It runs alongside Steam, not integrated to your account in any way. Only integrated in a sense that it responds to chat commands and will support in-game commands soon.

FLAC suppourt?
    It supports all formats supported by Windows Media Player. You may need the WMP flac codec to play flac in Steamp3. I'm not sure if its supported by default.

Edited:

more screenshots:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,720 Posts
    Any in-game tab support?

12. Post #12
    That Dog
    March 2009
    12,820 Posts
    Any idea why chrome would think this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    March 2012
    67 Posts
    Any idea why chrome would think this?
    I think because the setup isn't signed digitally >_< I'll fix it
    It's clean as a whistle I assure you. Source will be available soon for proof

Edited:
    Working on the fix now...
    http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Signing_an_Uninstaller

Any in-game tab support?
    You can play/record music in-game without alt+tabbing by using the chat and pm commands. But technically you still have to use shift+tab lol, I'm working on a solution for that too.

14. Post #14
    That Dog
    March 2009
    12,820 Posts
    Wow this is actually a really nice program.
    Can't wait to see what future updates bring :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    March 2012
    67 Posts
    Wow this is actually a really nice program.
    Can't wait to see what future updates bring :D
    Thanks, Still a few minor bugs but almost everything works like it should lol. I'll be adding more radio stations and 2 new plugins in the next update (blackjack bot and answering machine).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    MyBigBoner.com
    March 2009
    4,423 Posts
    Awesome work dude. Can you use foobar backend fir this instead of wmp ?

17. Post #17
    July 2010
    1,039 Posts
    What difference would it make?

18. Post #18
    March 2012
    67 Posts
    It's possible, but as said above it wouldn't make much of a difference. I almost used Fmod or DirectSound for the backend but wmp.dll is shipped with all versions of Windows so I figured it was best.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

19. Post #19

June 2011
    422 Posts
    Nice... Can this plau music ingame? can i replace hldj for this?

Can you tell me how to get Flac supported?

~YEAR command returns 2008

Also how can i make it play tho steam voice chat?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

20. Post #20
    July 2008
    3,478 Posts
    So after screwing around with it for a bit... The only thing I can really suggest atm is the ability to load a playlist. It gets rather annoying have to go through all my music (over 10k songs) and look for songs.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,635 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22

April 2011
    4,468 Posts
    It's possible, but as said above it wouldn't make much of a difference. I almost went with Fmod or DirectSound for the backend but wmp.dll is shipped with all versions of Windows so I figured it was best.
    Foobar would be better for the backend because it supports so much more than WMP by default and is in general a better music player.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    June 2010
    914 Posts
    Nice work, but I would say its kinda useless until you made it accessible from the steam overlay. I'm going to download it when you're done with that.

24. Post #24
    March 2012
    67 Posts
    So after screwing around with it for a bit... The only thing I can really suggest atm is the ability to load a playlist. It gets rather annoying have to go through all my music (over 9k songs) and look for songs.
    I agree, multiple playlist support is on the top of the todo list, I just don't know if I want to use .pls/.m3u or my own xml format. I also want to add support for remote playlists. I'm open to other suggestions too, Steamp3 is still a work in progress

Edited:

Thanks, I was too lazy to do that myself :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    August 2009
    388 Posts
    Ok this is pretty cool, I especially like the function that tells me what youtube videos people are linking without having to click on them.

Can't work out how to use the commands though, probably being dense but mind giving a quick explanation?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

26. Post #26

27. Post #27
    March 2012
    67 Posts
    Lol there is no trojan, who even uses trojans any more (except for ribbed pleasure)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Lol there is no trojan, who even uses trojans any more
    Oh not many, just the people looking to lure idiots into letting their computer be part of a botnet or steal their online banking details.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 3Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    March 2012
    67 Posts
    Ok this is pretty cool, I especially like the function that tells me what youtube videos people are linking without having to click on them.

Can't work out how to use the commands though, probably being dense but mind giving a quick explanation?
    Sure :D Just type any of the commands in a chat or private message window (lobby support coming soon). Commands like play {SearchTerm} and weather {ZipCode} require a second parameter. For example, type "weather denver" to scroll local weather for Denver or "r rock" to play a random song from the Rock genre. Steamp3 filters results based on the ID3 tag and the file URL to make it easy to find your music.

Steamp3 also has global commands that can be triggered by anyone, like the youtube command. You can disable global commands from the Settings tab. Click the Commands tab for a full list or visit http://steamp3.ta0soft.com/commands/

Edited:

Oh not many, just the people looking to lure idiots into letting their computer be part of a botnet or steal their online banking details.
    It might help to scan the actual exe not the setup, but whatever.
    I'm uploading the source to github now, I have nothing to hide
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    August 2009
    388 Posts
    Yup got all the commands working. So how do we play music over voice chat in game or in steam calls?

Nice program, works great for me and I don't have reason to use anything else.

31. Post #31
    March 2012
    67 Posts
    Ok finally got git working after 20 tries >_<
    Source code now available here: https://github.com/ta0soft/STEAMp3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Karen Gillan <3
    April 2006
    3,531 Posts
    I agree, multiple playlist support is on the top of the todo list, I just don't know if I want to use .pls/.m3u or my own xml format. I also want to add support for remote playlists. I'm open to other suggestions too, Steamp3 is still a work in progress
    use whichever is more globally used. Also try to make it so that the playlists are stored in a directory, that way people can copy their existing playlists from their favorite mp3 player to that directory to use.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    June 2007
    2,206 Posts
    You can listen to music while you play games? Revolutionary!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    March 2012
    67 Posts
    You can listen to music while you play games? Revolutionary!
    Lol the media player itself isn't anything new, but everything you can do with it is. I don't know any other program that lets you check twitter or local gas prices and translate a foreign language from in-game XD

The main complaint about hlss/hldj is using the console and key binds to play music, and the files must be compressed to a lossy almost unplayable wav. With Steamp3 you can record mp3, wma, m4a, and flac files with good quality.

The UI is user-friendly and easy to navigate, allowing you to access the playlist, radio, commands, skins, plug-ins, and settings all in a single window.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,236 Posts
    Wow, this looks great! The interface is perfect and some of these features are very nice.

A lot of effort must've gone in here, I commend you ta0soft for this great program, it's gonna be really convenient.

I'm unable to try it out until later today but do you think there is any chance that it could read an iTunes Library XML file?

Ah, Last.fm scrobbling would be pretty cool too if it's not already a feature.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    March 2012
    67 Posts
    Wow, this looks great! The interface is perfect and some of these features are very nice.

A lot of effort must've gone in here, I commend you ta0soft for this great program, it's gonna be really convenient.

I'm unable to try it out until later today but do you think there is any chance that it could read an iTunes Library XML file?

Ah, Last.fm scrobbling would be pretty cool too if it's not already a feature.
    Yeah its possible to work with itunes playlists, I'd like to add support for all popular formats. Playlist support is a top priority it will be added asap.
    I'm working on a scrobbler plugin too it's almost finished, should be ready by the next update. :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,635 Posts
    Youtube support would be awesome too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    6,562 Posts
    I think i'll try this out, would prefer it over wmp.

39. Post #39
    ~gay boi~
    July 2010
    14,197 Posts
    Those achievements are silly
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    I am paranoid of what is being sent to their servers. It can read all my messages and see everything I send as well.

Edited:

NO INTERNET FOR YOU APP