Builders! Roleplayers! Simulators! Gmod nuts!
I present to you, after over two and a half years work:
NEW: NIGHT VERSION: UPDATED! DIFFERENT VERSION DUE TO LACK OF PACKING IN ORIGINAL
(I hope the link works, it may well not)
An update to the well-received Dustbowl, this map aims to improve on almost all sandbox maps available for Garrysmod. In addition, It was made with the aim of also keeping the playable area more realistic, to the point where Roleplayers, Moviemakers and Players who just like to build realistic inventions would be at home.
Following on from Dustbowl, this map features a sandy desert, made for suspension testing and more interesting ground than the typical perfectly unrealistic -flat- sandbox map. It also includes a home base for players starting out, positioned in the centre of the area and windblown sand for better visual effect.
In addition to these, this map includes a number of features which should make it appeal to almost all players:
1. Map is as large as the source engine will allow, and hence as big as it can be for Gmod.
2. Contains a complex base in the middle of the map with a number of features:
-Landing pads and large build pad
-Hangar bay with 3 sections and seperate doors
-Set of small underground rooms
-Large central 2 story building for small-scale builders, containing lift down to lower levels
-Number of auxillary buildings including 1 main entrance with drop gate, 4 bunkers, 2 observation towers and a power room.
-Palm trees and microwave tower for visual and realistic effect.
-Vehicle testing area for the suspension nuts among us.
3. Extensive underground complex containing:
-Over 5km of PHX-size tracks having over 16 sets of points using levers to change.
-Over 1.5km of vehicle-sized tunnels.
-Rail build room.
-Launch facility with hatches in the desert.
-Underground reservoir for people who want a large amount of water.
-6 seperate private build rooms.
-2 back entrances hidden in the desert.
4. Large-scale canyon for vehicle builders and flyers alike.
5. Secluded oasis away from any other build areas.
6. Custom sound maps to make map more immersive.
7. Secret room.
8. Terrain of main map area is bumpy, hilly and occasionally rugged. Made by a suspension nut for suspension nuts.
9. 3D skybox, so that the desert appears to be endless
10. Includes all models, materials, sounds and items used in the map not included in the origional Half Life 2 packs. (people who just have CS and Gmod should be fine, I hope)
I promised 2.7 years ago that I would build a successor to Dustbowl, but then I got carried away and as I learned more and more about mapping methods, tips and tricks, parts of this map have been modified, moved and rebuilt, to give the very best look, feel and utility I could.
I hope you love using it, I certainly have over the years building it.
Please give any feedback you think would improve the map, but keep in mind that the map is at most of the Source Engine limits.
-See you online!
P.S. Dustbowl 1: http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=71433
Bigger and more pictures (Day Version):