1. Post #1
    July 2008
    15 Posts
    Builders! Roleplayers! Simulators! Gmod nuts!

I present to you, after over two and a half years work:

DUSTBOWL 2.0

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25545199/gm_...DDustbowl2.zip

NEW: NIGHT VERSION: UPDATED! DIFFERENT VERSION DUE TO LACK OF PACKING IN ORIGINAL

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25545199/gm_...bowl2Night.rar

(I hope the link works, it may well not)

Day Version:

Night Version:

An update to the well-received Dustbowl, this map aims to improve on almost all sandbox maps available for Garrysmod. In addition, It was made with the aim of also keeping the playable area more realistic, to the point where Roleplayers, Moviemakers and Players who just like to build realistic inventions would be at home.

Following on from Dustbowl, this map features a sandy desert, made for suspension testing and more interesting ground than the typical perfectly unrealistic -flat- sandbox map. It also includes a home base for players starting out, positioned in the centre of the area and windblown sand for better visual effect.

In addition to these, this map includes a number of features which should make it appeal to almost all players:

1. Map is as large as the source engine will allow, and hence as big as it can be for Gmod.
    2. Contains a complex base in the middle of the map with a number of features:
    -Landing pads and large build pad
    -Hangar bay with 3 sections and seperate doors
    -Set of small underground rooms
    -Large central 2 story building for small-scale builders, containing lift down to lower levels
    -Number of auxillary buildings including 1 main entrance with drop gate, 4 bunkers, 2 observation towers and a power room.
    -Palm trees and microwave tower for visual and realistic effect.
    -Vehicle testing area for the suspension nuts among us.
    3. Extensive underground complex containing:
    -Over 5km of PHX-size tracks having over 16 sets of points using levers to change.
    -Over 1.5km of vehicle-sized tunnels.
    -Rail build room.
    -Launch facility with hatches in the desert.
    -Underground reservoir for people who want a large amount of water.
    -6 seperate private build rooms.
    -2 back entrances hidden in the desert.
    4. Large-scale canyon for vehicle builders and flyers alike.
    5. Secluded oasis away from any other build areas.
    6. Custom sound maps to make map more immersive.
    7. Secret room.
    8. Terrain of main map area is bumpy, hilly and occasionally rugged. Made by a suspension nut for suspension nuts.
    9. 3D skybox, so that the desert appears to be endless
    10. Includes all models, materials, sounds and items used in the map not included in the origional Half Life 2 packs. (people who just have CS and Gmod should be fine, I hope)

I promised 2.7 years ago that I would build a successor to Dustbowl, but then I got carried away and as I learned more and more about mapping methods, tips and tricks, parts of this map have been modified, moved and rebuilt, to give the very best look, feel and utility I could.

I hope you love using it, I certainly have over the years building it.

Please give any feedback you think would improve the map, but keep in mind that the map is at most of the Source Engine limits.

Damocles

-See you online!

P.S. Dustbowl 1: http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=71433

Bigger and more pictures (Day Version):
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25545199/gm_...wlv1-10015.jpg
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25545199/gm_...wlv1-10016.jpg
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25545199/gm_...wlv1-10017.jpg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Mapping King x 19Artistic x 3Winner x 2Useful x 1Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    July 2007
    122 Posts
    This is a pretty decent map. Large enough area and pretty cool and smexy!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH

July 2009
    3,952 Posts
    Looks nice, you should use [img] tags though.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    386 Posts
    Thanks a ton for updating one of my all-time favorites!

5. Post #5
    January 2012
    165 Posts
    This is a pretty good map. I like it.

6. Post #6

November 2011
    20 Posts
    Dude. This map is awesome! Would it be asking too much to request an npc noded version?

7. Post #7
    As soon as I saw those tracks, it was an instant download.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

8. Post #8
    July 2008
    15 Posts
    Dude. This map is awesome! Would it be asking too much to request an npc noded version?
    I just have to work out how to do that...
    But sure, why not? eventually. The last update took over 2 years...

9. Post #9
    March 2012
    2,586 Posts
    To node the surface either add nodes in paths across the surface (so it has paths) OR

place physics props and duplicate till cover the entire grid. compile then edit_map ingame to settle the props. Save to editor. In editor move all the props up a few units and change them to nodes. Giving the entire surface a coating of npc nodes.

Then for tunnels just place 1 every couple of meters in paths in the tunnels.

Thats pretty much it.

IF you wanted to embellish you would need to add a node into the buildings and prehaps act busys placed round the map so citizens lean of walls and stuff. Making a simple node graph is pretty simple if time consuming.

10. Post #10
    Just a quick note Damocles, the train track curves are a bit tight in some places. This map would probably be suited to trains that use PHX's wheel chassis, rather than people with custom (unless they can make smaller chassis) wheel sets like me. Big trains have no home on the map, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Also, it would be nice if there where areas where vehicles can reach the bottom levels as well as tracks do already.

I think you should do another 'level' underneath the current map, maybe where an elevator takes both cars/etc and trains down. It would appear on the side of the level.

This explains it much more better, please tell me if there's any parts you don't get:

This is basically what your map is, some crappy ass sketching by yours truly.

This is an addition to the map, basically shortening how big the map goes to add a secret elevator that doesn't look weird coming down from the skybox.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    January 2011
    31 Posts
    Is this AI noded?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Here's a train I made. Works on this map, as I built it for the map. It goes up the hills slowly, so if you add something to the end carriage, to be safe make the weights of the thrusters on the front of the train '50', if there is nothing there, the default is 35 but you can mess with it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7q5bmh0814tav7n

Put the file in data/adv duplicator.

13. Post #13
    January 2012
    4 Posts
    All I see when I spawn is the purple "missing texture" materials. What do I need to fix?? (I have HL, CSS, and Portal textures)

14. Post #14
    You may require Episode 2.
    When you say HL, do you mean HL1?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    January 2012
    4 Posts
    You may require Episode 2.
    When you say HL, do you mean HL1?
    I have all of the HL textures including 1 and 2 I got all of those textures from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXzJaK7HG-Q and it seems to have worked for all of my HL texture problems. Is there any other textures I need??

16. Post #16
    If you buy the Orange Box that will definitely solidify most of your texture problems. If you do buy that, and still have problems, the Multiplayer Pack (CSS, DOD:S, and if I remember correctly, Half-Life 2 Deathmatch too) should definitely sort out everything.

You can't just 'download' textures, it unfortunately does not work like it would if you bought the games with the textures.

17. Post #17
    January 2012
    4 Posts
    If you buy the Orange Box that will definitely solidify most of your texture problems. If you do buy that, and still have problems, the Multiplayer Pack (CSS, DOD:S, and if I remember correctly, Half-Life 2 Deathmatch too) should definitely sort out everything.

You can't just 'download' textures, it unfortunately does not work like it would if you bought the games with the textures.
    Ok (thank you for such quick responses!!!), I'll search about the multiplayer pack but buying Orange Box is my last resort. I don't want to spend all that money and find that I'm still in the same situation :D

Question about the "Multiplayer Pack" though, what is that? You would think that textures for multiplayer would... well come with the game right?

18. Post #18
    Multiplayer Pack is basically just 3 games, Counter-Strike: Source (which many maps still use the textures for), Day of Defeat: Source (very few textures and props are used from here) and Half-Life 2: Deathmatch (it's just a deathmatch game of Rebels vs Combine players for HL2).

19. Post #19
    July 2008
    15 Posts
    Is this AI noded?
    Sorry, but no.

Edited:

Just a quick note Damocles, the train track curves are a bit tight in some places. This map would probably be suited to trains that use PHX's wheel chassis, rather than people with custom (unless they can make smaller chassis) wheel sets like me. Big trains have no home on the map, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Also, it would be nice if there where areas where vehicles can reach the bottom levels as well as tracks do already.

I think you should do another 'level' underneath the current map, maybe where an elevator takes both cars/etc and trains down. It would appear on the side of the level.

This explains it much more better, please tell me if there's any parts you don't get:

This is basically what your map is, some crappy ass sketching by yours truly.

This is an addition to the map, basically shortening how big the map goes to add a secret elevator that doesn't look weird coming down from the skybox.
    Hmmm. So what you are saying is that you didn't read the info in the first post (The map is at the source engine limits, no more rooms, sorry), that you want me to add what would pretty much be gm_flatgrass underneath a perfectly good map? (the discription pretty much states that I am no particually fond of -flat- maps).

Sorry, but no.

The tracks were made with PHX systems in mind, as they are the standard for Gmod, and everyone has them, hence are a logical choice for pleasing the most people. I tried very hard to make sure that the tracks worked well for even high-speed trains using PHX wheel-blocks. I think I may have spent around 10 hours making sure all the tracks in the map were good for 60 Km/h cornering and were all fitted exactly to PHX wheels at the angles they would be when the train went around or along them.

Vehicles can reach the bottom of the map. There is a long spiral ramp down there just for this purpose (see previous post about not reading description).

But, above all this, Thanks for the reply, I like people who get into the mapping and aren't afraid to share ideas. If you want to try maps with hidden basements, why not try to build them yourself ? Hammer is not too difficult once you get going.

P.s. I have come across a map in the past with three levels one above the other, all with skyboxes, and while it was sort of an interesting idea, the transitions were horrible and the map lacked good direction or design. I might try for multi-level in the future, but not now, sorry.

P.p.s Quick note? ...

20. Post #20
    Sorry, but no.
    <walloftext>
    I did map, my problem is that hammer will not let me use it. Read my help post in the mapping section.

I was not indicating that you just shove a flatgrass map under the map. I'm saying you could expand on the map you have, or try it another time like you said. Personally something has to be added to a flatgrass map to make it appealing. Otherwise, it's just another flatgrass, and that gets boring fast.

I did do the diagram and such late at night when I was tired as hell (Hadn't slept for over 28 hours) so I may have been etchy on details.

Carconstruct by Lubstar has something similar, but without a transition. Basically, you just turn noclip on and go below the map, and there's a huge grass land with hills and things. I was basically trying to say, you should do that, except with a way to transition vehicles down too, and possibly even a small underground to go with it.

A map within a map so to speak.

21. Post #21
    January 2012
    4 Posts
    Multiplayer Pack is basically just 3 games, Counter-Strike: Source (which many maps still use the textures for), Day of Defeat: Source (very few textures and props are used from here) and Half-Life 2: Deathmatch (it's just a deathmatch game of Rebels vs Combine players for HL2).
    Ah, it is probably because I don't have HL: Deathmatch, which I don't think I can fix without buying...
    Thanks for all the help though!

22. Post #22
    No problem.

Although HL2:DM basically uses all textures from HL2 anyway lol

23. Post #23
    July 2008
    15 Posts
    A map within a map so to speak.
    You appear to be able to type, but unable to read. This is the third time I will post this line, I hope it makes sense to you:

So what you are saying is that you didn't read the info in the first post (The map is at the source engine limits, no more rooms, sorry)

It is not that I don't want to make some more underground/map areas, more that I cannot due to Source Engine limits. I have used almost all (I think I may be 10 short) of the brushes allowed by the map compiler. If I add any more, the map will not function. Now please quit bugging me.

AI NODES: For similar reasons, the entity number for this map is also near the Source Engine limits, I can put maybe 100 nodes down, but this would seem to me to be way too few to be useful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,127 Posts
    You appear to be able to type, but unable to read. This is the third time I will post this line, I hope it makes sense to you:

So what you are saying is that you didn't read the info in the first post (The map is at the source engine limits, no more rooms, sorry)

It is not that I don't want to make some more underground/map areas, more that I cannot due to Source Engine limits. I have used almost all (I think I may be 10 short) of the brushes allowed by the map compiler. If I add any more, the map will not function. Now please quit bugging me.

AI NODES: For similar reasons, the entity number for this map is also near the Source Engine limits, I can put maybe 100 nodes down, but this would seem to me to be way too few to be useful.
    Nodes can be fairly spread out, you shouldn't need to place too many.

25. Post #25
    July 2008
    15 Posts
    Nodes can be fairly spread out, you shouldn't need to place too many.
    Right-o. I will read up as much as I can, then give it a shot. I don't suppose you know of any good tutorials? the Source Engine Wiki appears to be a bit lacking.

26. Post #26
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,127 Posts
    Right-o. I will read up as much as I can, then give it a shot. I don't suppose you know of any good tutorials? the Source Engine Wiki appears to be a bit lacking.
    I've never seen a tutorial on AI nodes, actually. I'll look around.

27. Post #27
    July 2008
    15 Posts
    Sorry guys, I updated the link to be the .zip rather than the 60MB .bsp...

28. Post #28

November 2011
    20 Posts
    t
    I just have to work out how to do that...
    But sure, why not? eventually. The last update took over 2 years...
    Either way, good luck man. Thanks for looking into it

29. Post #29
    February 2012
    43 Posts
    it has a pretty good layout and the skybox works well with the desert

30. Post #30
    January 2012
    904 Posts
    Great map. Love the underground tracks.

31. Post #31
    October 2008
    1,207 Posts
    Are you willing to add wire inputs for the track switches using the wiremod's WMI?

32. Post #32
    July 2008
    15 Posts
    Hell Yes!
    I didn't know that this existed, but will get right on it.

BTW, The night version of this map will be up soon!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    October 2008
    1,207 Posts
    Hell Yes!
    I didn't know that this existed, but will get right on it.

BTW, The night version of this map will be up soon!
    Well, because it's pretty new. It got added to Wiremod about two month ago.
    Also the night time version sounds nice.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    485 Posts
    Love the map! I decided to put it in my latest 'The Garry's Mod Show' You can see it here

Anyways I can't wait for the next version (in another 2 years?) I'd like to see more roads and rails on the surface and make make the fog a little less thick.

35. Post #35
    February 2011
    82 Posts
    Good sir , wonderful map , However could you please, please...please Put lights in the underground pool so I can build boats and fire at ranges and see whats going on

Request two would be for a airstrip in the sky on one corner.

Request three would be a wall or fence all the way around the border to connect the pillars at the corners of the map, for us fliers or drivers or anyone really.

If you do not wish to do these, could I please get the unprotected file so I may make a private version.

A response would be greatly appreciated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    773 Posts
    I am in awe of your mapping skills, Damocles. I've been hanging on the edge of my seat since the release of your first dustbowl map and this just goes to show that you're a winner.

37. Post #37
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,127 Posts
    Ahahah what

38. Post #38
    July 2008
    15 Posts
    Love the map! I decided to put it in my latest 'The Garry's Mod Show' You can see it here

Anyways I can't wait for the next version (in another 2 years?) I'd like to see more roads and rails on the surface and make make the fog a little less thick.
    I hate to say it, but the beta testers complained when I put roads up top, I did make it for more of the suspension nut community...

Also, I have never seen that CS bug before, nor the skybox one. I think it may be your problem dude. Anyone else let me know and send me screenshots if you see these bugs.

The fog is thick because I need to give the map some kind of ambient atmosphere, and what would I take away in the night version without it?

Edited:

Good sir , wonderful map , However could you please, please...please Put lights in the underground pool so I can build boats and fire at ranges and see whats going on

Request two would be for a airstrip in the sky on one corner.

Request three would be a wall or fence all the way around the border to connect the pillars at the corners of the map, for us fliers or drivers or anyone really.

If you do not wish to do these, could I please get the unprotected file so I may make a private version.

A response would be greatly appreciated.
    There are no lights over the underground water because I wanted to give people the feel of water building in the dark, something I have never seen before making this map. If you like my style and want water, this may be a quick and easy option:
    http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=126314

I am sorry, but putting anything in the skybox would completely ruin the feel of the map for me, so no runway up there, sorry.

I may think of some method of making a wall, but as I am trying to give the map a very open 'Big Sky' atmosphere, that may be difficult.

Edited:

I am in awe of your mapping skills, Damocles. I've been hanging on the edge of my seat since the release of your first dustbowl map and this just goes to show that you're a winner.
    Awwww shucks.

39. Post #39
    February 2011
    82 Posts
    Do you happen to have a dropbox for gm_DDFlatgrass.zip

Gmod.org is giving me some offline cloud error.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    July 2008
    15 Posts
    Do you happen to have a dropbox for gm_DDFlatgrass.zip

Gmod.org is giving me some offline cloud error.
    Sure. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25545199/gm_DDFlatgrass.rar