1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    1,141 Posts
    [SUB][SUB][SUB][SUB][SUB]- we came in?[/SUB][/SUB][/SUB][/SUB][/SUB]
    EINS! ZWEI! DREI! HAMMER!
    So you, thought you, might like to, go to the show? Pink Floyd’s legendary concert, film and stage show has entertained music fans for over thirty years, and now it arrives on Source for the first time, bigger and better than ever. Introducing...

The what?
    Decades ago, Pink Floyd were the 1970's most successful band, having released a multitude of albums worldwide. After the success of their 1974 hit The Dark Side of the Moon, group leader Roger Waters became disillusionned with the unruly crowds at the band's stage shows, and imagined a wall seperating him and the audience. From this initial idea came The Wall. The double album was released in 1979 to immediate success, and later spawned a hit tour in 1980, an epic partially animated motion picture in 1982, an enormous mega-concert in Berlin in 1990, and Roger Waters' current stage show today. This map is the latest adaptation of the “The Wall” concept.

Oh god not another Drsalvador
    Ah-h-h, Drsalvador's maps were ported HL2 leak maps with a few Pink Floyd references in them. This is the real deal, a near-perfect interpretation of the Floyd's crowning masterpiece, the ultimate virtual treat for the Pink Floyd fan in you, whether you're new to the band or a lifelong fanatic.

Well, what's this new map got in it?
    Set in an enormous stadium in the heart of Los Angeles, gm_thewall is the biggest virtual concert map in Garry’s Mod yet. Some of the many features in this map include...
    - The titular 30 foot wall, composed of 70 individual bricks, which can be spawned individually or all at once
    - Stage and backstage areas, boasting controls for all of the features mentioned
    - Setpieces lovingly recreated from the live performances including a fold-out hotel room, a flying helicopter and a crash-landing Stuka dive bomber
    - Hi-fidelity projected images on an enormous circular screen, ranging from the famous Marching Hammers logo to Gerald Scarfe’s famous animated characters
    - A wide variety of seating, from high up in the stands to down low, inches away from the action
    - An exhibit of Pink Floyd history and memorabilia in the lobby, including famous album covers, the artwork of Gerald Scarfe, and a memorial to Syd Barret

Let's have a gander at it then!
    OK, have some screenshots. (Keep in mind that these are still WIP, and are likely to change.)
    The full gallery: http://imgur.com/a/eMqHA#0

Any video footage?
    Sure, have a trailer!

When's the map gonna be finished?
    No fixed date as of yet, but expect it to be within the next couple of months, maybe even weeks. If not that, then simply "when it's done".

What use does this map have elsewhere?
    Well this is where the next part of the project comes in...

This is a special live stage show that is being held to promote the map. The first performance will be an invitation-only premiere, and will be recorded live. If the premiere is successful enough, further performances will be held open to the public.

So the first performance is invitation only?
    Well, when we say “Invitation Only”, there is one extra space available. And that space is available to the winner of our special contest – Build a Better Wall!
    You what?
    We’ve just released a brick model for GMod. Fully compatible with this map, perfect dimensions, floaty physics. You can download it here - if that doesn't work, use this fix here.

Now we’re giving you the chance to see our special premiere. What do you have to do? Simple. Build the most impressive wall you can imagine in any map compatible with GMod. Make it a castle fortification, a piece of wall-y artwork, someone’s face – anything, so long as it’s made with our special brick model. Then, take a screenshot of it and post it in this thread. The winner gets "tickets" to the premiere!
    Deadline for the Build a Better Wall contest is midnight (GMT) on Sunday the 8th of April. No further entries will be accepted after this date.

Incredible! Where else can I find out some more info?
    Right here!
    Our YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheWallLiveInGMod
    Email us: thewallliveingmod@gmail.com
    Our Steam group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/thewall-liveingmod

What about for the live show?
    All information about that will go here, so watch this space, but exact dates/timings and venue are still to be confirmed.

Where can I download it?
    Er, it isn't out yet.
    Oh
    Don't worry - when it is, I will post a link here.
    Well, have fun when the map does come out, and good luck building your walls! Feel free to post questions in this thread about the map.
    [SUB][SUB][SUB][SUB][SUB]Isn't this where-[/SUB][/SUB][/SUB][/SUB][/SUB]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Mapping King x 31Winner x 12Dumb x 3Friendly x 1Funny x 1Optimistic x 1Informative x 1Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    March 2010
    1,028 Posts
    Interesting... You prevented a lot of posts by mentioning DrSalvador.

Good progress so far, but a lot of work needs to still be done. Keep at it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Facepunch Resident Alcoholic!
    July 2007
    7,495 Posts
    Oh god in before Salvador

It's a really nice map, captures a nice feel of Pink Floyd.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    June 2008
    4,617 Posts
    god damn

people already beaten me to the DrSalvador jokes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,127 Posts
    Oh he'll be here, just wait
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

6. Post #6
    J!m
    I Love Big Gay Dragons
    June 2009
    1,405 Posts
    Bound to happen
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,127 Posts
    Maybe he made the map, and asked OP to post it, because he didn't want to show his face.

Edited:

Actually no this map is too good to be made by him

Edited:

And this map also isn't from the WC mappack.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

8. Post #8
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    You know it's his map when its brown. Hmm... maybe gears of war was made by salvy.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,038 Posts
    The wall behind the, uh, wall, looks a bit tile-y. I don't know what it looks like IRL but I'd make it out of cinder blocks and hang some curtains in front of it or something.

This level of dedication is really cool to see, though.

10. Post #10
    I'm actually behind quite a few of the textures in this map, and am behind a lot of the visuals for the live event itself. I've done no actual mapping though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 9Funny Funny x 4Dumb Dumb x 2Zing Zing x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,541 Posts
    Awesome work, very dedicated! I appreciate something like this, I'll see you there

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,394 Posts
    I LOVE YOU

Pink Floyd is my all-time favorite band. I went to see Roger Waters in The Wall in May 2011. I'll never forget it.
    Glad to see a great PF tribute map. My own gm_highhopes is a piece of shit but this is amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    11,885 Posts
    I love you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH

July 2009
    3,952 Posts
    I don't know much about the band itself, but I love the music. This is going well, keep it up.

15. Post #15
    March 2008
    147 Posts
    Nice. Looking forward to the show!

16. Post #16
    Slaaf van EternalFlamez.Ik wilde heel graag de laatste Indie Bundle, en ik kreeg deze kuttitel er gratis bij.
    March 2010
    4,044 Posts
    I must say, this IS pretty cool, I've been to Roger Waters live, and it looked alot like this.

17. Post #17

January 2012
    1 Posts
    should we have a section with the entries? or just post it below cause i waste time looking for entries.

there should be a time limit?
    at least announced
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    May 2011
    3,856 Posts
    looks very promising, I hope it works out

19. Post #19
    should we have a section with the entries? or just post it below cause i waste time looking for entries.

there should be a time limit?
    at least announced
    Did you read? The deadline is midnight (GMT) on Saturday the 24th of March.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Jaded
    April 2010
    2,200 Posts
    Did you read? The deadline is midnight (GMT) on Saturday the 24th of March.
    No need to be rude about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    I'm hardly being rude, It's right there in the OP, he should have read it fully if he wanted to know all the details about the event.

Edited:

OOOH BUGGAH
    Chippers didn't pack the texture fix i made for the Brick model. I'll upload a fix, hold on.

Edited:

http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=128990 Fix here
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    August 2007
    67 Posts
    MFFW I'm listening to the Wall right now
    >>I love it when shit like this happens

I am beyond excited for this. Very. Excited. Will you also have the Trial represented?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    1,141 Posts
    Just post them in the thread, make sure you say that they're for the contest though.
    I am beyond excited for this. Very. Excited. Will you also have the Trial represented?
    Yep, it'll feature the characters from the animation projected onto the round screen, as well as the eventual collapse of the wall and maybe even a fold-out courtroom like the hotel bedroom.

24. Post #24
    Facepunch Resident Alcoholic!
    July 2007
    7,495 Posts
    Hes not being rude at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Jaded
    April 2010
    2,200 Posts
    Hes not being rude at all.
    Starting a statement with 'Did you read?' has more of a negative tone than a positive one, but okay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Starting a statement with 'Did you read?' has more of a negative tone than a positive one, but okay.
    Gentlemen, You cannot fight in here, This is the Wall!

Edited:

ALSO, here's the sample of the invites i made, i want to show them off because they're niiice and i scanned an actual peice of paper for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,038 Posts
    Welcome to Facepunch
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    March 2009
    564 Posts
    Just because you said something before doesnt mean you have free reign to get fussy when you have to repeat yourself. Need to chill a little, retyping the time won't break your little fingers, and if you act up the worms will get you.

This map looks promising, carry on the good work.

29. Post #29
    Has nobody even made an entry for the contest yet?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

30. Post #30
    March 2010
    1,473 Posts
    Has nobody even made an entry for the contest yet?
    Try posting this in the gmod section. I don't even use gmod, like, at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    November 2010
    162 Posts
    I'm really Interested in seeing the Teacher and other stage insanity from PF, can't wait bro.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    1,141 Posts
    Try posting this in the gmod section. I don't even use gmod, like, at all.
    Done! Also, the contest deadline has been raised from the 24th to the 30th.

33. Post #33
    Meet the Pyro
    April 2006
    4,466 Posts
    I wanted to do this ages ago but never got good at mapping and therefore never acted on it

34. Post #34
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    19,023 Posts
    PIB FOLY
    TA WOL

(I got a ticket! Also, I'm willing to do whatever I can to aid. Salvador got me to make a target or someshit I don't even know)

35. Post #35
    May 2008
    746 Posts
    Hell yeah! My favorite album by them, and one of my favorite movies. I can hardly wait for the live action concert! Gotta get some shrooms for this one. I'm glad you picked a convenient location to host this show, one that everyone here can arrive to on time!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

36. Post #36
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    19,023 Posts
    Hell yeah! My favorite album by them, and one of my favorite movies. I can hardly wait for the live action concert! Gotta get some shrooms for this one. I'm glad you picked a convenient location to host this show, one that everyone here can arrive to on time!
    You'd better remove that before you get your virtual guts torn out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    You'd better make your face up in your favourite disguise...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    1,141 Posts
    Not a good idea, you wouldn't take shrooms to a real rock concert, let alone a virtual one - anything resembling a distraction might be frowned upon by the other players.

Also, the "Build a Better Wall" contest deadline has been increased to midnight on Sunday the 8th of April, and not a second longer! Last chance to get a premiere ticket!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Not a good idea, you wouldn't take shrooms to a real rock concert, let alone a virtual one - anything resembling a distraction might be frowned upon by the other players.

Also, the "Build a Better Wall" contest deadline has been increased to midnight on Sunday the 8th of April, and not a second longer! Last chance to get a premiere ticket!
    I'm guessing you haven't been to a festival...ever...or even a gig in London, athough hash tends to be the drug of choice in Brixton.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    1,141 Posts
    I'm guessing you haven't been to a festival...ever...or even a gig in London, athough hash tends to be the drug of choice in Brixton.
    True, true. Depends on which kind of festival you're going to and how good you can avoid the police. Again, taking 'shrooms during our concert could lead to trouble, e.g. banging your head on the keyboard during the Comfortably Numb solo, screaming "PLAY CAREFUL WITH THAT AXE, CHIPPERS" through the microphone until everyone's ears burst, trying to jump in front of the crash driving Stuka and then smashing the monitor etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)