1. Post #41
    June 2007
    2,463 Posts
    There is a paid version of µTorrent now. It has been going downhill for a while now anyway, it's not even that light anymore, it's getting bloated with useless shit like apps. Who the hell wants apps in their torrent client?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    That Dog
    March 2009
    15,674 Posts
    Hardly bloated if it's all optional, and still under 800kb fresh.
    The paid version only offers more remote options anyways.

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,126 Posts
    Bittorent and uTorrent are different though...

Bittorrent and the MPAA joined forces, not uTorrent and the MPAA. Correct me if I'm wrong...

I stand corrected. Live and learn.

4. Post #44
    That Dog
    March 2009
    15,674 Posts
    They're owned by the same people, and are (basically, very minor differences), the same program.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    16,345 Posts
    There is a paid version of µTorrent now. It has been going downhill for a while now anyway, it's not even that light anymore, it's getting bloated with useless shit like apps. Who the hell wants apps in their torrent client?
    It's still the lightest yet feature packed client out there.
    Though it went downhill with the versions after 2.0.4
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    It's still the lightest yet feature packed client out there.
    Though it went downhill with the versions after 2.0.4
    To be honest, 'Apps' aren't features per my definition of a bittorrent client. They're bloat. Massive bloat.

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    16,345 Posts
    To be honest, 'Apps' aren't features per my definition of a bittorrent client. They're bloat. Massive bloat.
    Never said they weren't, just that much of the competition to uTorrent either lacks useful features or are even more bloated.

8. Post #48
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    9,686 Posts
    I'm not sure if optional additions to something means that the the program is bloated though.

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    351 Posts
    OPERA
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Azerbaijan Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #50
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    I'm not sure if optional additions to something means that the the program is bloated though.
    The possibility of Apps are not optional.

11. Post #51
    That Dog
    March 2009
    15,674 Posts
    The possibility of apps do not add anything to the client itself, it's entirely up to you to install them.

12. Post #52
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    The possibility of apps do not add anything to the client itself, it's entirely up to you to install them.
    I'm a gentoo user, take it lightly.

13. Post #53
    February 2012
    1,191 Posts
    Well shit. Could that affect my ability to download Linux distros?

Edited:

And/or is the MPAA making any money off of uTorrent? Because if they are I might consider using a different client.
    It just means Copyrighted content will be removed from the UTorrent official search bar, which no one ever used.

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,075 Posts
    I would not call µTorrent bloated.

Go to functions and disable whatever you don't want to look at.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #55
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    16,078 Posts
    The possibility of Apps are not optional.
    So am I, but at least I understand that one header file for apps in a torrent client isn't going to make a damn difference unless you're running on a Commodore 64.

16. Post #56
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    So am I, but at least I understand that one header file for apps in a torrent client isn't going to make a damn difference unless you're running on a Commodore 64.
    BitTorrent and µTorrent both use up almost 100 megs of RAM when I'm using them. Regardless of it being the Apps or not, that's just wrong for a BitTorrent client. The only other application, except for games, that uses that much, is my web browser when I have a lot of tabs open on YouTube.

17. Post #57
    That Dog
    March 2009
    15,674 Posts
    You must be doing something wrong then.

Less memory than windows explorer itself, and that's with a load of 'Linux Distros' going at the moment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #58
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    18,171 Posts
    Hardly bloated if it's all optional, and still under 800kb fresh.
    ... what
    Even Windows Calculator uses 6mb, you can't fit a fully-features torrent client in 800kb, you'd have to be Stallman and then write it in ASM to get it even close.

19. Post #59
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    ... what
    Even Windows Calculator uses 6mb, you can't fit a fully-features torrent client in 800kb, you'd have to be Stallman and then write it in ASM to get it even close.
    rtorrent uses less than 1MB in Linux, but that's without a GUI as well.

20. Post #60
    September 2007
    18,171 Posts
    I have to admit, I've never looked at rtorrent's RAM usage while it was running, mostly because I haven't used it in years.

Does it have magnet, DHT and PXE support?

21. Post #61
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    I have to admit, I've never looked at rtorrent's RAM usage while it was running, mostly because I haven't used it in years.

Does it have magnet, DHT and PXE support?
    You'll have to elaborate on the PXE, because the only thing I recall when seing that is the hardware thing called "Preboot Execution Environment".
    But it does support DHT and magnet links. At least, the latest version does.

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    16,345 Posts
    You'll have to elaborate on the PXE, because the only thing I recall when seing that is the hardware thing called "Preboot Execution Environment".
    But it does support DHT and magnet links. At least, the latest version does.
    He probably meant PEX
    PEX is a acronym for Peer EXchange.
    Basically a protocol that makes torrents less dependent on trackers.

23. Post #63
    That Dog
    March 2009
    15,674 Posts
    ... what

holla.

Edited:

It's compressed and also uses some libraries, but on runtime it gets unpacked, that's how it manages such a small filesize.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #64
    September 2007
    18,171 Posts

holla.

Edited:

It's compressed and also uses some libraries, but on runtime it gets unpacked, that's how it manages such a small filesize.
    Bloated doesn't mean filesize, it means it uses way more RAM than it needs to use.

1980 called, they want their 8mb hard drive back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,075 Posts
    Bloated doesn't mean filesize, it means it uses way more RAM than it needs to use.

1980 called, they want their 8mb hard drive back.
    It's not like it only means "using more than than it needs to use".
    In my opinion it's more about unused, unuseful features and annoying/bloated interface.

26. Post #66
    September 2007
    18,171 Posts
    Hey guys, I made a torrent client.

Oh and it's also a document editing suite, a web browser, an IM client, an IDE and an operating system.

27. Post #67
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    24,122 Posts
    But does it float?

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    5,294 Posts

Oh and it's also a document editing suite, a web browser, an IM client, an IDE and an operating system.
    If it's not a SparkBrowser OS I don't care.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

29. Post #69
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    16,078 Posts

But will it blend?

30. Post #70
    February 2012
    1,191 Posts

Nice job nikomo

Now go choke on a dick
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)