1. Post #121
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,668 Posts
    The thing about new textures is that we don't want a complete make over. Just a upgrade. And replacing the textures will make it look completely different and nothing like the original map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #122
    I make awesome maps that never see the light of day
    January 2007
    7,013 Posts
    Those new textures have same colorscheme and they're just cleaner and a bit different than the orginals.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #123
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,668 Posts
    I really want to get Garry's opinion on all of this. Because I'm not sure if he is open to changing all the textures and adding a bunch of floors to the apartment building.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #124
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,245 Posts
    I really want to get Garry's opinion on all of this. Because I'm not sure if he is open to changing all the textures and adding a bunch of floors to the apartment building.
    Give him the vmf, let him work, he posts the content, and if Garry likes it add it?

He's a good mapper, let him try.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

5. Post #125
    The Savior of FP
    May 2010
    5,629 Posts
    I'm loving the map and I appreciate all the work you're doing to make it, but I feel like you're disregarding a lot of good suggestions because you want it to be like the original. I just figure that I'd be best to experiment more, because a lot of peoples ideas could really improve the map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

6. Post #126
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    3,681 Posts
    OK I can't be bothered bashing this map , however I am honestly a good mapper and will be willing to help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 21Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #127
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,668 Posts
    I just gave oskutin the vmf and even if Garry doesn't like the changes he should still be able to fix the HDR and cubemaps more
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #128
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,245 Posts
    Also Voltage, I'm going to decompile and just test out what I'd think would be a nice concrete area

9. Post #129
    September 2001
    12,193 Posts
    Changing the textures is a dumb idea
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree x 44Funny x 6Dumb x 4Disagree x 2Friendly x 1Zing x 1 (list)

10. Post #130
    January 2007
    7,013 Posts
    These are the new ones:

But if you say so, i'll undo those.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 12Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #131
    Want a Tablet?
    November 2009
    2,010 Posts
    All seems rather more complicated than how gm_construct used to be. Your changing it in many ways, and it's kinda loosing it's touch, imo. I don't like the fact you can go in buildings, I don't like that you're using different textures. When you add enter-able buildings, it starts to drift towards Roleplay. gm_construct used to be very simplistic yet a great example of mapping work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 15Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 3 (list)

12. Post #132
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,431 Posts
    I think highvoltage should continue to be the only mapper on this. It makes it dead simple to get ideas across.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

13. Post #133
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    650 Posts
    The problem with having too many enterable buildings is that it takes away the "intimacy" of the map where everyone would be building in close proximity. Now people can go hide in various places and build on their own, which means it's harder to "tour the server" and look and what everyone is doing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #134
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,965 Posts
    All seems rather more complicated than how gm_construct used to be. Your changing it in many ways, and it's kinda loosing it's touch, imo. I don't like the fact you can go in buildings, I don't like that you're using different textures. When you add enter-able buildings, it starts to drift towards Roleplay. gm_construct used to be very simplistic yet a great example of mapping work.
    i agree, what should be a simple, good looking stock map for even new players to enjoy has become one of those construct spinoffs that has way too many features and places for a vanilla gmod map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 8Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #135
    August 2010
    6,140 Posts
    Am I the only one who really doesn't like the big shadow casted onto the ground by one of those buildings?
    I don't like shadows like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #136
    January 2007
    7,013 Posts
    Maybe that next to the spawn should be 1/3 enterable?

Edited:

Uhh, I just wasted my and High Voltage's time, i just can't handle and edit pre-made maps.
    But i promised to make that tenement next to the spawn if HighVoltage wants it.

17. Post #137
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,668 Posts
    I've been trying to stress those points, more so in this post:
    I kind of want to stress this point. The map is supposed to be simple, not have an apartments with thousands of floors and lots of garages. Construct is supposed to be a cheap map using very little resource. If you want a map that you can RP in then use another map, not a sandbox map.

I'm sorry, but this is brought up a lot and it bugs me.
    But people keep on wanting more buildings/floors/real windows/alleys even though it should stay as simple as possible.

The map is still just like it was in the last update, just with more bugs fixed.

Edit:

Does everyone want the extra floors?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7 (list)

18. Post #138
    January 2007
    7,013 Posts
    Maybe just 3-4 floors to the tenement next to the spawn corner.
    And nowhere else.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

19. Post #139
    I Actually Use Radeon.
    February 2006
    3,421 Posts
    Imo the building is one of the best new features.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

20. Post #140
    January 2007
    7,013 Posts
    Here is what it looked with updated textures:

Brick was the same, and the others were just polished a bit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 11Dumb Dumb x 8Disagree Disagree x 3Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

21. Post #141
    March 2012
    11 Posts
    Edit:

Does everyone want the extra floors?
    No, I actually like it just fine the way it is. If we add more floors, I do think it will take away from the map's simplicity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

22. Post #142
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,342 Posts

They just don't seem to fit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 20Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

23. Post #143
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,004 Posts
    this map is to be simple, although i belive the apartments could use a bit of work, we dont need lights and tables and all that unneeded stuff clogging up this map
    I agree with you, but I did not mean stuff like tables and like. I'd just love to see some separating walls and windows - just like in the freespace maps.

I doubt anyone will use the apartments as they are right now, it's just so plain and boring :-(.
    Maybe the apartments should be in the building close to spawn? In my opinion, the apartments should be placed in the most busy area, or they'll be like a ghost town I'm afraid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #144
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    2,249 Posts
    Right now I think we got the map right where we want it to be, new players and experienced players both have good places to build. My personal opinion is that you should focus on bug fixes and think about an underwater cave. Ofcourse the underwater cave dwelves into more complication slightly so after most bugs are fixed and the map is polished I think you should ask others opinion, if they say yes test it out and then ask garry. Right now I think this map is almost finished, good job guys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

25. Post #145
    March 2012
    11 Posts
    Highvoltage, are you still working on the building left of the lake, or was it to complicated? (I may have missed an earlier post regarding this.) I think you guys should really worry about fixing bugs right now. I'm just curious, but I'm fine either way.

26. Post #146
    March 2012
    23 Posts
    So far, I think alot of the map will be changed when Garry's Mod is near completion. In other words, Garry is not quite done.

27. Post #147
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    650 Posts
    One thing I just noticed...the building by the spawn area looks very ugly and rundown compared to the other two buildings (it's got wood in the windows and peeling paint etc.). Maybe you could consider changing the textures to match the other two? Just so it doesn't look out of place in terms of the overall theme.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

28. Post #148
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,668 Posts
    Highvoltage, are you still working on the building left of the lake, or was it to complicated? (I may have missed an earlier post regarding this.) I think you guys should really worry about fixing bugs right now. I'm just curious, but I'm fine either way.
    I'm thinking that the map doesn't need it

Edited:

One thing I just noticed...the building by the spawn area looks very ugly and rundown compared to the other two buildings (it's got wood in the windows and peeling paint etc.). Maybe you could consider changing the textures to match the other two? Just so it doesn't look out of place in terms of the overall theme.
    So you wan't me to make it all the same clean window texture?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #149
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    650 Posts

So you wan't me to make it all the same clean window texture?
    Yeah I guess, like the other two buildings, not necessarily the same texture as the other two but similar aesthetic.

30. Post #150
    January 2010
    207 Posts
    I really do like the blue bits in the windows, it adds a little detail in my eyes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #151
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    650 Posts
    I'm kind of conflicted because I like the colour scheme of that building, I just don't like how ghetto it looks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

32. Post #152
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,668 Posts
    I'm kind of conflicted because I like the colour scheme of that building, I just don't like how ghetto it looks.
    I'll just change the big wooden windows for now

33. Post #153
    June 2008
    1,518 Posts

If you hadn't told me they were new textures, I would've thought you had just set your texture quality to very low...

Edited:

Enterable buildings does not equal roleplay. Also I don't know if you noticed, but construct already had two enterable buildings, so by your logic the original gm_construct is actually an rp map...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 22Funny Funny x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

34. Post #154
    January 2010
    285 Posts
    Looks incredibly amazing so far guys. Keep up the good work is all I can say. I know I'll enjoy the updated map :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #155
    January 2012
    216 Posts
    i really like the idea of a underwater cave, but nothing to complicated, we dont need a huge network of caves spiderwebbing across the hole map just something simple, maybe a single cave that slowly slopes down with a curve up in to an air pocket with a small sub dock and some form of access to the surface with out water, possibly a rusty ladder (maybe in an old beaten up elevator shaft with a broken elevator). it just one more element to the map we have never had but would be a great addition.

but other than that no major changes, we dont need any more buildings, prob need some work on the current buildings, developing the inside of some floors and some updated textures (nothing custom needed just clean it up a bit) and focus mostly on small details like the messed up shadows on the paths, things like that.

but again great job Highvoltage and coltan rappe you've done a great job so far and if its added, this map will be a HUGE addition to gmod, in my opinion this is the best construct update ive seen in a LONG time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #156
    Blue Member?
    October 2010
    7,454 Posts
    i think it looks great just fix up all the wierd little areas and bugs

37. Post #157
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,668 Posts
    i think it looks great just fix up all the wierd little areas and bugs
    Thanks, and what weird little areas and bugs?

38. Post #158
    January 2012
    216 Posts
    Thanks, and what weird little areas and bugs?
    i think he means small lighting errors, shiny surfaces that shouldn't be, and the random odd shadows on the paths. things like that.

EDIT: i dont have the beta so there may or may not be lighting errors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #159
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,668 Posts
    Okay, so this is starting to really piss me off. I have tried to pack a custom decal into the map using pakrat and it works out fine. But after a couple of minutes the decal removes itself and starts to spam the console with errors saying that it has no bound shader and dropping the fps to like nothing. And the same thing happens with the old credits room texture when I still had it left in. So it can't be my custom texture when it happens to a texture that was included before with no problems. Has anyone else had this problem with pakrat? Is there a way around this or am I stuck with no custom textures at all?

40. Post #160
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    -Snip- I give up trying to reason with people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)