1. Post #921
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,825 Posts
    In all honestly, the underground tunnel is probably the worst added thing. Just the whole style of it is completely unappealing. It really needs an overhaul.
    What don't you like about them? What can I do to make them more appealing?

2. Post #922
    Really, really, really, really likes parrots and water caustics. Also, hates titles.
    March 2009
    11,686 Posts
    i think the first thing, above any design changes, is to focus on correcting those visleaves. are you using func_details in the right spot? are you using func_viscluster for highly open areas?

Edited:

probably make the lighting less bland and generic, add a few more details, and make it more intuitive to navigate b/c it can get confusing fast
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #923
    April 2011
    398 Posts
    probably make the lighting less bland and generic, add a few more details, and make it more intuitive to navigate b/c it can get confusing fast
    The lighting is much improved and less bland and generic and there are far more details compared to Construct 12, and if you're confused by the navigation you need to spend more than 20 seconds flying around it in Noclip. Your ridiculous statements are only furthering the proof that you are an obvious troll or an even more obvious April Fool's Day prank :D

Anyway, By randomly blowing up walls with closely packed 100,000 damage TNT, I managed to glitch the vents into being visible from the void. Might I suggest breakable walls instead of non-colliding entrances? Also, since navigating them is impossible without noclip, they're kind of pointless in their current state. I like the idea though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #924
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,433 Posts
    Please tell me what is done badly so I can improve. I can admit I'm not the best mapper but just saying I suck gets the map nowhere.
    Or would you and all the other mappers just prefer that I scrap the map and close the thread? Because that's the feeling I'm getting off you right now.

What don't you like about the lighting? The colour? Angle? Brightness? HDR?
    Do you have any tips that can help improve the optimization?
    I've stated that it's much too bright and light_spot and point_spotlight needs to be used multiple times, and you need to utilize hint and skip much more along with visclusters.

Edited:

We're going to ignore you now, Mr I'malwaysrightypants.
    He does have a point, you know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #925
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,660 Posts
    i think the first thing, above any design changes, is to focus on correcting those visleaves. are you using func_details in the right spot? are you using func_viscluster for highly open areas?

Edited:

Viscluster doesn't affect leaves.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #926
    January 2012
    216 Posts
    The lighting is much improved and less bland and generic and there are far more details compared to Construct 12, and if you're confused by the navigation you need to spend more than 20 seconds flying around it in Noclip. Your ridiculous statements are only furthering the proof that you are an obvious troll or an even more obvious April Fool's Day prank :D

Anyway, By randomly blowing up walls with closely packed 100,000 damage TNT, I managed to glitch the vents into being visible from the void. Might I suggest breakable walls instead of non-colliding entrances? Also, since navigating them is impossible without noclip, they're kind of pointless in their current state. I like the idea though.
    how do you need noclip to go thru them? ive already made a small base in them an it works fine (i just made ladders out of rack gears) but i do agree with the breakable entrances.

7. Post #927
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    771 Posts

Why is this like this? It looks god awful.

Why is this hall so damn tall? Why are those light there? Why two of them? Why not use the model used in the mirror room? The fact that the models are clipping more than 50% into the brush makes it look even worse.

More bricks.. How original. Possibly remove those beams or make better ones that would fit with a tunnel theme.

Maybe change up the lighting style to be more consistant, but just turn down the brightness and give it a creepy color. Those lights are so bright that it's leaving a giant glowing circle on the ceiling making it look even worse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

8. Post #928
    Really, really, really, really likes parrots and water caustics. Also, hates titles.
    March 2009
    11,686 Posts

the lights are still bland and generic. i'm not trolling. i've been mapping for years and the fact that i'm trying to help this effort shows you're just being dumb

Edited:

Viscluster doesn't affect leaves.
    func_viscluster makes sure all leaves in an area are attached/seeing each other and will speed up compile times
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

9. Post #929
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,660 Posts
    the lights are still bland and generic. i'm not trolling. i've been mapping for years and the fact that i'm trying to help this effort shows you're just being dumb

Edited:

func_viscluster makes sure all leaves in an area are attached/seeing each other and will speed up compile times
    I know that, but it has nothing to do with optimisations.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #930
    March 2009
    11,686 Posts
    it's still beneficial and should be useful when you're trying to optimize so you can see changes to the visleaves faster
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

11. Post #931
    April 2011
    398 Posts

Edited:

Unless you suggest some way to improve it instead of just telling us what you think is wrong and not even why it's wrong you are not helping in the least. Instead, you insult me and the creators, tell us things in the map are stupid, and act hostile and uncooperative. The only way you can help is by being constructive, not destructive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #932
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,825 Posts

Edited:

What kid of details? pipes? And more hard to navigate then straight paths? Its not a maze or anything

Please stop arguing.
    The there is an breakable entrance, but the exits are like that so you can see that its a way out and not just a dead end.

I've stated that it's much too bright and light_spot and point_spotlight needs to be used multiple times, and you need to utilize hint and skip much more along with visclusters.

Edited:

He does have a point, you know.
    I'll add more and make them have a blueish tint and be dimmer.
    There are 2 huge visclusters over the map as shown in the pic above.

Why is this like this? It looks god awful.
    What should I do to make them look better? make the steps start further back?

Why is this hall so damn tall? Why are those light there? Why two of them? Why not use the model used in the mirror room? The fact that the models are clipping more than 50% into the brush makes it look even worse.
    I've been meaning to make them lower, I'll write it in bold and underlined on my list I'm currently making

More bricks.. How original. Possibly remove those beams or make better ones that would fit with a tunnel theme.

Maybe change up the lighting style to be more consistant, but just turn down the brightness and give it a creepy color. Those lights are so bright that it's leaving a giant glowing circle on the ceiling making it look even worse.
    Do you have a reference pic of a good tunnel I can base it on?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #933
    March 2009
    11,686 Posts
    Unless you suggest some way to improve it instead of just telling us what you think is wrong and not even why it's wrong you are not helping in the least. Instead, you insult me and the creators, tell us things in the map are stupid, and act hostile and uncooperative. The only way you can help is by being constructive, not destructive.
    i am acting constructive you moron

haven't you been seeing my posts about the optimization? can you offer anything constructive w/ the actual mapping or are you gonna continue arguing w/ me b/c i have qualms with this map?

(User was banned for this post ("Flaming." - Seiteki))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9 (list)

14. Post #934
    January 2010
    4,029 Posts

haven't you been seeing my posts about the optimization? can you offer anything constructive w/ the actual mapping or are you gonna continue arguing w/ me b/c i have qualms with this map?
    lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #935
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,660 Posts
    Remember, this is a community project. If there's something you don't like, express it and tell what you want to change.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

16. Post #936
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    771 Posts
    What should I do to make them look better? make the steps start further back?
    Would probably be your best bet.

I've been meaning to make them lower, I'll write it in bold and underlined on my list I'm currently making
    Sorry, but not everyone is going to look at your google doc and read it fully.

Do you have a reference pic of a good tunnel I can base it on?
    Yes, I just whipped up a tunnel that I think would look nice in hammer. Just a very quick mock-up. Could probably add sprites to the lights to make them look more defined, but meh.

And the VMF http://puu.sh/nsV9
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic x 14Agree x 9Winner x 5Useful x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #937

April 2009
    3 Posts
    you might want to do something bout the fact that one can open context menu and right click the doors and the mirror and deleat them

18. Post #938
    April 2011
    398 Posts

Yet another insult. That entire statement is completely contradictory to itself. Constructive criticism involves suggestions on how to improve the map. Yes, we know you said more visclusters, but where? You give us no information other than "It needs more visclusters". You are still being pointlessly hostile and anything but constructive.

I don't know where the hell this sudden flood of hostility came from, but I'll be back tomorrow, after the anger tornado has found some other thread to annoy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #939
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,660 Posts
    you might want to do something bout the fact that one can open context menu and right click the doors and the mirror and deleat them
    Nothing you can do from hammer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #940
    January 2012
    216 Posts
    ill make a bug report...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #941
    The Silent Rater
    November 2009
    3,266 Posts
    Au contraire.

You can go to the keyvalues of the entity, select smart edit and add gmod_allowphysgun 0. I believe that gmod_allowtools 0 also works to prevent things like the remove tool from affecting things. At least, they worked the last time I tried.

Actually, nevermind- I misread the problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

22. Post #942
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,825 Posts
    Would probably be your best bet.

Sorry, but not everyone is going to look at your google doc and read it fully.

Yes, I just whipped up a tunnel that I think would look nice in hammer. Just a very quick mock-up. Could probably add sprites to the lights to make them look more defined, but meh.

And the VMF http://puu.sh/nsV9
    I currently have a note pad on my desk with the things to do on my desk.
    And that looks amazing, I might have to redesign the stairs leading from the darkroom to match them.

I'm not sure how to fix this.

Yet another insult. That entire statement is completely contradictory to itself. Constructive criticism involves suggestions on how to improve the map. Yes, we know you said more visclusters, but where? You give us no information other than "It needs more visclusters". You are still being pointlessly hostile and anything but constructive.

I don't know where the hell this sudden flood of hostility came from, but I'll be back tomorrow, after the anger tornado has found some other thread to annoy.
    Stop arguing. You are cluttering up the thread.

Au contraire.

You can go to the keyvalues of the entity, select smart edit and add gmod_allowphysgun 0. I believe that gmod_allowtools 0 also works to prevent things like the remove tool from affecting things. At least, they worked the last time I tried.
    Thats not the problem, the context menu is different then the tool gun
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

23. Post #943
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    485 Posts
    Looking good! Still not a big fan of the lack of a hole in the 2nd skyscraper but i guess i can live with it.. The tunnel that is pitch black near the dark room should have some flickering red/yellow lights.

24. Post #944
    January 2012
    216 Posts
    Au contraire.

Actually, nevermind- I misread the problem.
    this has already been done its a bug with the context menu.

reported: Here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #945
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    771 Posts
    And that looks amazing, I might have to redesign the stairs leading from the darkroom to match them.
    Stairs?

VMF
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Friendly Friendly x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

26. Post #946
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    Just wanted to say thanks for the help with sending over the tunnel and stair VMFs, they look fantastic, and less crowded. It will be fun implementing them with modifications and adding details to it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #947
    April 2012
    31 Posts
    (Removed)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 2Artistic x 1Friendly x 1Late x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #948
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,433 Posts
    I still haven't gotten the dimensions to the bunker stairs either colton.

29. Post #949
    November 2007
    1,396 Posts
    It's a very nice map and a very good addition to the existing construct, but I have a few problems with it.
    1: The underground tunnels are absolutely horrible with no indication of where you're going and are generally horrible to look at.
    2: One of my contraptions fell through the concrete floor in front of the large door...thing on the large building. I don't think that should happen.
    3: There's no logical way to move up the skyscrapers without noclip as far as I could see. You need to design maps from the perspective that nobody has any idea what it is or how to use it.

Otherwise, I can't wait to see this develop!

30. Post #950
    January 2012
    216 Posts
    1: The underground tunnels are absolutely horrible with no indication of where you're going and are generally horrible to look at.
    these are already being addressed.

2: One of my contraptions fell through the concrete floor in front of the large door...thing on the large building. I don't think that should happen.
    post a pic, i dont know where your talking about.

3: There's no logical way to move up the skyscrapers without noclip as far as I could see. You need to design maps from the perspective that nobody has any idea what it is or how to use it.
    i do agree with this there should be at least a small hole for an elevator.

31. Post #951
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    I still haven't gotten the dimensions to the bunker stairs either colton.
    I am well-aware of this. If you are unable to decompile the mediafire version of the map (Which you fully can), to get the reference to the area, I will isolate the area for you and send you a vmf.

Let me know how it goes.

32. Post #952
    November 2007
    1,396 Posts
    post a pic, i dont know where your talking about.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #953
    January 2012
    216 Posts
    hmm must have been a glitch... if you can reproduce it let us know.

34. Post #954
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    771 Posts
    Currently, the vents are way too small and cramped. Vents should be 64x64 units.

Mapped in some example vents into that tunnel vmf
    Download

Includes a compiled BSP incase anyone wants to go in and see for themselfs along with the VMF. I think I'm done with this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 3 (list)

35. Post #955
    April 2012
    31 Posts
    When do you think you can release another Gmod 12 BSP, because the Underground hallways are pretty cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #956
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    506 Posts
    Other than minor bug fixes, I'm curious as to what Garry thinks need changing/removing/adding at this point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #957
    January 2012
    216 Posts
    Currently, the vents are way too small and cramped. Vents should be 64x64 units.

Mapped in some example vents into that tunnel vmf
    Download

Includes a compiled BSP incase anyone wants to go in and see for themselfs along with the VMF. I think I'm done with this.
    i like it, but the fan seems a little slow if it gets added speed it up a bit.

38. Post #958
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #959
    March 2009
    11,686 Posts
    What kid of details? pipes? And more hard to navigate then straight paths? Its not a maze or anything
    well yeah, it's just that it's long and it's confusing with the multiple hallways looking alike
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

40. Post #960
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,825 Posts
    I'm currently adding the halls and stairs that BlackAwps posted. Its a lot of work adapting them and the map so that they work together, but so far they are turning out real nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 3Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)