1. Post #1081
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,436 Posts
    I kind of thought up this idea for the submarine room. I fail at mapping but someone should take this idea and make it HOT.

When pressing the button it lifts a big platform out of the water. Since we can't move the water... we can move the ground :)

Just fix up the stairs, the platform and the lighting.
    Use light_spot to get a bettter look.
    And make the platforms look like they are being supported on both sides by a metal beam, because it looks more, right now, like grates floating with 2 bars nailed into them. The stairs should also probably be between 2 metal beams, and alot thinner.

Good luck man
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

2. Post #1082
    SirCrest is my life, so is yours.
    October 2009
    7,256 Posts
    I can confirm that Physgunning the doors, walls and mirror is possible, but only in Multiplayer. The fact that you can also physgun other players in Multiplayer tells me that it's Garry's fault, not yours.

I'm pretty sure that's your ASSmod fucking up. I just played GM13 with ~16 people last night and no one could pick eachother up, or pick any things from the map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Late Late x 2 (list)

3. Post #1083
    January 2012
    216 Posts
    I kind of thought up this idea for the submarine room. I fail at mapping but someone should take this idea and make it HOT.

When pressing the button it lifts a big platform out of the water. Since we can't move the water... we can move the ground :)

im just guesing but it looks like you did this with phx props correct?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 22Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

4. Post #1084
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,436 Posts
    im just guesing but it looks like you did this with phx props correct?
    Uh... Of course he fucking didn't. He used Hammer. What part of this even looks like it could be done with PHX?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 9Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #1085
    January 2012
    216 Posts
    Uh... Of course he fucking didn't. He used Hammer. What part of this even looks like it could be done with PHX?
    im sorry if t looks like materialized phx props to me... i could make the exact same thing with them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb x 18Friendly x 4Funny x 2Disagree x 1Late x 1 (list)

6. Post #1086

March 2012
    50 Posts
    The fact that you can also physgun other players in Multiplayer tells me that it's Garry's fault, not yours.
    Wait, are you not supposed to be able to do that? Damn, I thought that was a new feature :(

Well, I guess it is a bug in gmod then....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Funny Funny x 2 (list)

7. Post #1087
    May 2008
    240 Posts
    so wait I'm not quite sure what configuration to use in hammer for these cause I can't see the water and red-lined walls..

maybe it isn't a problem though cause it's more meant for the design rather than the looks...

8. Post #1088
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,436 Posts
    so wait I'm not quite sure what configuration to use in hammer for these cause I can't see the water and red-lined walls..

maybe it isn't a problem though cause it's more meant for the design rather than the looks...
    What do you mean, Is it wireframe?
    Have you ever used hammer before?

9. Post #1089
    May 2008
    240 Posts
    What do you mean, Is it wireframe?
    Have you ever used hammer before?
    I've used hammer before, I started it in episode 2 mode, since I've been advised in the past to NOT make a garrysmod config thingy

All the textures work fine when I start the map in gmod, but I can't see them in hammer.

Also is it just me or does prop_scalable not work for some reason.. do I have to set all of the scales at once..?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

10. Post #1090
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,735 Posts

You probably have to extract the materials from the garrysmod .gcf

11. Post #1091
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts

Red-Lined walls in Hammer? or the Game? In the game you type mat_leafvis 3, to see the leaf areas.

Again, is the water not rendering in the editor, or the game? In the editor you should only see a texture representation of the water. In the game, if you don't see water, and just a void, make sure that VVIS is compiling properly. Without VVIS, water will not be rendered into the map.

All the textures work fine when I start the map in gmod, but I can't see them in hammer.
    You have to extract the garrysmodbeta GCF materials folder to the EP2 Folder "<yoursteamname>/episode two/ep2/materials"

Garry renamed the internal materials he uses for the walls and such to have gm_construct-ish prefixes, which breaks the functionality of editing the map textures accurately unless you extract the materials from the GCF.

Edited:

You probably have to extract the materials from the garrysmod .gcf
    Freakin' Ninja man.

Edit:
    Well, I have work every day of the week remaining, including today, so I will continue checking the thread every day at 10:00PM UTC/GMT as I have been. If highvoltage doesnt answer a question someone is having, I will do my best. See everyone in 7 hours.

12. Post #1092
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    108 Posts

Who said you cant move the water?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Saudi Arabia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

13. Post #1093
    May 2008
    240 Posts
    I think it would be a good idea to minimize the amount of moving parts in the map.. unless they're done pretty well though.

I dunno just a feeling

14. Post #1094
    SirCrest is my life, so is yours.
    October 2009
    7,256 Posts
    Who said you cant move the water?
    You can only move 'cheap' (DX7, AKA shit looking) water, because source can't do the realtime reflections or something.

15. Post #1095
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    9,991 Posts
    You can only move 'cheap' (DX7, AKA shit looking) water, because source can't do the realtime reflections or something.
    Valve just never bothered to make it compatible with expensive water, the plane that the reflection viewport uses is fixed in place, but you can most certainly make it possible in the SDK code.

16. Post #1096
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,735 Posts
    Sorry for the inconvenience but Garry deleted the workshop file so I can upload and manage it myself, the new one should be up soon. My internet is just really crappy so it could take a while to upload
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 6 (list)

17. Post #1097
    November 2010
    3 Posts
    The map appears to be in the workshop now (just installed it from there and tested a bit)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #1098
    me
    June 2005
    610 Posts
    The map appears to be in the workshop now (just installed it from there and tested a bit)
    Yeah it's working fine. What was the last update?

19. Post #1099
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    650 Posts
    Wait you mean like having water that rises up and down? Wasn't this done in Half-Life 2 for a couple of the puzzles where you had to turn valves and stuff?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #1100
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,436 Posts
    Wait you mean like having water that rises up and down? Wasn't this done in Half-Life 2 for a couple of the puzzles where you had to turn valves and stuff?
    That was done with the cheap water.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #1101
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,735 Posts
    Yeah it's working fine. What was the last update?
    The newest update should have the new darker tunnels (They will be fixed up later)
    Here is the workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...ails/?id=21197

22. Post #1102
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    650 Posts
    That was done with the cheap water.
    I definitely remember it having a DX9 appearance though. By cheap do you mean the DX7 water or nice-looking water without true reflections?

23. Post #1103
    April 2011
    388 Posts
    I definitely remember it having a DX9 appearance though. By cheap do you mean the DX7 water or nice-looking water without true reflections?
    Without world reflections. Only simple reflections, possibly object reflections. Depends on the water's individual shader.

24. Post #1104
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    Sorry for the inconvenience but Garry deleted the workshop file so I can upload and manage it myself, the new one should be up soon. My internet is just really crappy so it could take a while to upload
    He didn't actually "delete it", he just marked it as violating the steam terms of service. Making it visible to only me.

I did go ahead though and deleted it for real just now.

On a different note: Can't wait for the contest entries. They should be fantastic.

25. Post #1105
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    9,991 Posts
    Without world reflections. Only simple reflections, possibly object reflections. Depends on the water's individual shader.
    Cubemaps, there are no real reflections with anything other than static, expensive water and mirrors.

26. Post #1106
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    490 Posts
    I'm not sure if this is a bug with the map or a bug with Gmod

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Late Late x 6Winner Winner x 2 (list)

27. Post #1107
    May 2008
    240 Posts
    I'm not sure if this is a bug with the map or a bug with Gmod
    maybe we need a flag for disabling the context menu on world props now

EDIT: and/or brushes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #1108
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    490 Posts
    Actually yeah, the context menu should be disabled on things that have the flag which disables the physgun grab. So I guess it isn't a bug with this map but with Gmod - I'll post a bug report.

29. Post #1109
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    485 Posts
    Okay I made this. Who ever wants to do the lights can because there not getting the desired effect for me (Gloomy blue underwater spotlights brighter above spotlights) Heres the download link to the VMF: http://www.mediafire.com/?2js7awgxtdtf37y

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

30. Post #1110
    September 2009
    272 Posts
    Actually yeah, the context menu should be disabled on things that have the flag which disables the physgun grab. So I guess it isn't a bug with this map but with Gmod - I'll post a bug report.
    http://facepunch.com/threads/1173909...=#post35359499
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

31. Post #1111
    January 2012
    216 Posts
    Okay I made this. Who ever wants to do the lights can because there not getting the desired effect for me (Gloomy blue underwater spotlights brighter above spotlights) Heres the download link to the VMF: http://www.mediafire.com/?2js7awgxtdtf37y

sorry for the PHX comment earlier, it was so dark it looked different to me. ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

32. Post #1112
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    485 Posts
    sorry for the PHX comment earlier, it was so dark it looked different to me. ;)
    Haha, I probably could have made it with props it would have looked stupid. Thats a hammer screeny so its full bright cause I suck at lighting :V

33. Post #1113
    April 2009
    325 Posts
    Gentlemen... I hope you don't include anything like this.
    The screenshot below shows the thorn in my side these past years, and the reason I very seldom play on the original gm_construct.

Yeah, yeah, I'm a little obsessive about this. It just makes my brain itch.

[EDIT] By the way, I really like where the map is heading so far.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Late Late x 11Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #1114
    March 2012
    13 Posts
    I think i fixed the odd lighting!
    Colton is doing an compile because apparently my HDR isn't working.
    Here are my pictures, left is LDR and right is HDR:

Nice , What's your light environement setting please , pitch , brighness , ambiant ect...

Ty man

35. Post #1115
    I paid 2$ so this could say aaa aaa aaa aaa aaa aaa aaa aaa
    May 2010
    252 Posts
    Did you guys delete the map from workshop because i cant find it in gmod13 or the workshop
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Late Late x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #1116
    April 2011
    388 Posts
    Did you guys delete the map from workshop because i cant find it in gmod13 or the workshop
    Read the previous posts before posting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

37. Post #1117

January 2012
    35 Posts
    So apparently if whilst in the tunnel you spawn a prop, shift+e snap-align it and then drag it straight up it'll cause a water splash:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #1118
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,436 Posts
    So apparently if whilst in the tunnel you spawn a prop, shift+e snap-align it and then drag it straight up it'll cause a water splash:
    That was in Gmod 12 in every map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 18Dumb Dumb x 5Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #1119
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    14 Posts
    I really love the map so far, please keep the good work up :D
    Are you guys going to add in buttons and doors? May I suggest something like the underground base and the lift in gm_construct_conspiracy?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #1120
    October 2011
    6 Posts
    wait can you go in that building?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)