1. Post #1601
    Lua is a powerful, fast, lightweight, embeddable scripting language
    March 2012
    230 Posts
    This should indeed be the new gm_construct!
    Already tried it out, it's great!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Late Late x 7Friendly Friendly x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

2. Post #1602

May 2012
    54 Posts
    I can make small robots that sneak in the vents...
    while small robots would be cool, I think the vents are ugly and too reminiscent of HL1.
    feel free to disagree.

and that silly troll acts like what he says hurts me.
    I'm an adult bro, time for you to become one too.

and can we please put grass on this??
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #1603
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    5,276 Posts
    http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?...1#post35713258

We should use this skybox that was posted a few pages ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

4. Post #1604

May 2012
    54 Posts
    The floor of the white room isn't changing colors
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #1605
    February 2010
    225 Posts
    http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?...1#post35713258

We should use this skybox that was posted a few pages ago.
    that looks good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

6. Post #1606
    Always the vGuy.
    September 2011
    844 Posts
    while small robots would be cool, I think the vents are ugly and too reminiscent of HL1.
    feel free to disagree.
    Half-Life 1 was and will always be an extraordinary game (at least for me).
    And sneaking in the vents brings fun memories. :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Romania Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

7. Post #1607
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    Half-Life 1 was and will always be an extraordinary game (at least for me).
    And sneaking in the vents brings fun memories. :D
    It would be nice to at least have vents that don't look like shit.

I mean, where have you ever seen vents that have the ground CONTINUE INTO THEM? I have half the mind to think they were made with the goddamn carve tool as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #1608
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,789 Posts
    It would be nice to at least have vents that don't look like shit.

I mean, where have you ever seen vents that have the ground CONTINUE INTO THEM? I have half the mind to think they were made with the goddamn carve tool as well.
    Yes, to clear up all doubt about my mapping skills, I carve EVERYTHING. In fact I made all the new buildings and the tunnel system by only carving.

But seriously, I haven't used carve once other then seeing what it does what I first started mapping and when I wanted to see how big of a mess I could make by carving a sphere into another.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

9. Post #1609
    wtr

October 2010
    67 Posts
    The floor of the white room isn't changing colors
    This.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #1610
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    5,276 Posts
    Yes, to clear up all doubt about my mapping skills, I carve EVERYTHING. In fact I made all the new buildings and the tunnel system by only carving.

But seriously, I haven't used carve once other then seeing what it does what I first started mapping and when I wanted to see how big of a mess I could make by carving a sphere into another.
    You almost gave me an heartattack with that joke.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #1611
    October 2008
    1,233 Posts
    This.
    I think I know why, there is a invisible func_detail making the ground solid for clientside ragdolls and NPCs. It's made to high, I will lower it a bit so it doesn't block the tool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

12. Post #1612
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    Added Grocel to the changelog editor list. He will now document what he changes in the map in the changelog like HighVoltage and myself.

We still have plenty of redundant copies of the map to fallback to in case of disaster.

13. Post #1613

May 2012
    54 Posts
    It looks like cards. and buildings.

Added more buildings and background objects. also made the "cards" more complex.
    I think the last picture kinda ruins the effect though.

i actually really like this skybox
    also i fail to see how that last pic ruins the effect..
    we know what a skybox is made of haha
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

14. Post #1614
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,413 Posts
    doors in the whiteroom should be completely removed

i can't find my way out when i get in
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #1615

May 2012
    54 Posts
    doors in the whiteroom should be completely removed

i can't find my way out when i get in
    just color the wall. then the doors will show up.. not that hard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

16. Post #1616
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    There are a couple ways to handle locating the doors.

-Coloring the surrounding walls.
    -Coloring the Doors themselves.
    -Designing a border of some kind around the door.
    -Making the doors change color as you get closer to them, indicating their presence.

If you think of something creative, and we get a lua scripter (If we need it) who will pull it off, I'm all in.
    We can also do this in Hammer entity-based systems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #1617
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,413 Posts
    it's a matter of convenience.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #1618
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts

-Making the doors change color as you get closer to them, indicating their presence.

If you think of something creative, and we get a lua scripter (If we need it) who will pull it off, I'm all in.
    Also
    GM_CONSTRUCT_13 Changelog posted:
    -Fixed the colour room floor coloring issue. lowering the invis brush a unit under the colorable floor..

Before & After: Seen Here
    Credits to Grocel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #1619

May 2012
    54 Posts
    That would be bad for people who make stop-motion videos with Gmod (such as myself)
    this isn't the 90's..

Edited:

it's a matter of convenience.
    what could be so terribly inconvenient to hold q and click on one thing?

Edited:

We can also do this in Hammer entity-based systems.
    it seems to me that making the doors change colors might end up a bit buggy. but i could be wrong

Edited:

I would have never even though about that
    because this isn't the 90's..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 18Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #1620
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts

it seems to me that making the doors change colors might end up a bit buggy. but i could be wrong
    Making it change from whatever color it is, into a shade of a different color, like black if it was white, and white if it was already black wouldn't be so hard, but keeping a memory in the door so that it dynamically understands what color it used to be and reverting back to that once a player leaves the proximity trigger bubble would be challenging.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #1621

May 2012
    54 Posts
    Making it change from whatever color it is, into a shade of a different color, like black if it was white, and white if it was already black wouldn't be so hard, but keeping a memory in the door so that it dynamically understands what color it used to be and reverting back to that once a player leaves the proximity trigger bubble would be challenging.
    alright, well i like it. but i don't script in lua haha so my thoughts are just an opinion and not a contribution
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

22. Post #1622
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    alright, well i like it. but i don't script in lua haha so my thoughts are just an opinion and not a contribution
    Take the "Black and White" examples with a grain of salt. They were only placeholders. It would probably be something like a shade of blue similar to the Garry's Mod logo when you moved close to it, and it would auto-magically-scriptologically revert to it's previously colour-tool changed color when you move away from it.

Edited:

GM_CONSTRUCT_13 Changelog posted:
    -Added targetname to light_environment. “sun_light”; for lua scriptors to attempt to utilize.
    Credits to Grocel.

23. Post #1623

May 2012
    54 Posts
    Take the "Black and White" examples with a grain of salt. They were only placeholders. It would probably be something like a shade of blue similar to the Garry's Mod logo when you moved close to it, and it would auto-magically-scriptologically revert to it's previously colour-tool changed color when you move away from it.
    No i got you, i understand. i just don't script. lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

24. Post #1624

June 2012
    9 Posts
    There should be some sort of carpet texture in this map, or floorboards, you could use them for the apartment buildings.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #1625
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,432 Posts
    There is the option of having a non-colliding, door sized func_door that is hidden below, or in the wall of the room, which moves into position when a player gets close enough, preferably instantly. A better solution would be a func_brush with the opacity being adjusted by time spent within a certain range or something. But I think that would probably block traces, stopping the doors from being changeable.

26. Post #1626

May 2012
    54 Posts
    There is the option of having a non-colliding, door sized func_door that is hidden below, or in the wall of the room, which moves into position when a player gets close enough, preferably instantly. A better solution would be a func_brush with the opacity being adjusted by time spent within a certain range or something. But I think that would probably block traces, stopping the doors from being changeable.
    actually just changing the opacity should be perfect. because the dev texture is behind the colorable wall right?

27. Post #1627
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,432 Posts
    actually just changing the opacity should be perfect. because the dev texture is behind the colorable wall right?
    The issue with changing the func_brush on the door itself is remembering what the player had it set to beforehand. Which would require some form of Lua scripting to manage as I don't remember it being possible in Hammer I/O. Though my idea would add another func_brush, which would probably block the traces fired from the Toolgun from reaching the door, breaking the colour changing function.

Unless you move the brush out of the way, or find a way to temporarily kill it (hiding it will block traces I expect), then it's going to cause some problems.

28. Post #1628

May 2012
    54 Posts
    i don't know how this post got so fucked up, trying again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

29. Post #1629
    Google first. ( Wiki )
    May 2008
    7,493 Posts
    About the doors I think they should simply have manual toggle. Because things like different color shading and borders will defeat their purpose, don't you think? I personally would prefer manual toggle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #1630

May 2012
    54 Posts
    The issue with changing the func_brush on the door itself is remembering what the player had it set to beforehand. Which would require some form of Lua scripting to manage as I don't remember it being possible in Hammer I/O. Though my idea would add another func_brush, which would probably block the traces fired from the Toolgun from reaching the door, breaking the colour changing function.

Unless you move the brush out of the way, or find a way to temporarily kill it (hiding it will block traces I expect), then it's going to cause some problems.
    no way to just use the same method the tool gun uses in scripting? then we can keep the one brush there but have the script change it on proximity?
    don't know a whole lot about mapping but I'm learning

Edited:

About the doors I think they should simply have manual toggle. Because things like different color shading and borders will defeat their purpose, don't you think? I personally would prefer manual toggle.
    were trying to devise a way to find the doors easier while in the room, without coloring the walls to find them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #1631
    FOSSILIZED SHIT MAGGOT INFERNO
    August 2010
    2,696 Posts
    perhaps we could put floating "EXIT" text that pops into view when you get close? I've seen that in other maps, but I've never really used Hammer so I don't know what the technical term for it was. I think they were called comments or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

32. Post #1632

May 2012
    54 Posts
    perhaps we could put floating "EXIT" text that pops into view when you get close? I've seen that in other maps, but I've never really used Hammer so I don't know what the technical term for it was. I think they were called comments or something.
    well isn't that what the doors are now? when you get close, they open.
    and I'm pretty sure when you comment something in a script it makes whatever running the script ignore whatever is commented
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #1633
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,432 Posts
    no way to just use the same method the tool gun uses in scripting? then we can keep the one brush there but have the script change it on proximity?
    don't know a whole lot about mapping but I'm learning
    If the way this is done was entirely scripted in Lua anything would be possible. I'm just trying to think of a way to do this without using Lua, which means we have no way of storing the opacity easily.

Edited:

well isn't that what the doors are now? when you get close, they open.
    and I'm pretty sure when you comment something in a script it makes whatever running the script ignore whatever is commented
    I think what he's thinking of is the annotations Valve added throughout the HL maps, they appear and hide depending on how near you are.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #1634
    FOSSILIZED SHIT MAGGOT INFERNO
    August 2010
    2,696 Posts
    It's not the commentary nodes if that's what you're thinking of

Here's an example of it being used in SMod Tactical

It's some kind of small text that turns to face the player and disappears when you're a certain distance away. I've seen it in some old GMod maps but I can't remember off the top of my head which ones.

35. Post #1635
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,432 Posts
    It's not the commentary nodes if that's what you're thinking of

Here's an example of it being used in SMod Tactical

It's some kind of small text that turns to face the player and disappears when you're a certain distance away. I've seen it in some old GMod maps but I can't remember off the top of my head which ones.
    Oh yeah I see what you mean. They aren't very noticeable though that's the problem. I don't remember them being too adjustable, but I'll mess around in Hammer a bit because I am deathly bored.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #1636

May 2012
    54 Posts
    Oh yeah I see what you mean. They aren't very noticeable though that's the problem. I don't remember them being too adjustable, but I'll mess around in Hammer a bit because I am deathly bored.
    hopefully you can at least change the text color, as it would be pointless white.

37. Post #1637
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,432 Posts
    hopefully you can at least change the text color, as it would be pointless white.
    You can't. The entity that creates them (point_message), is very limited. It accepts a targetname, a parent, the text to display, the minimum distance and a setting for developer mode only.

So that's kinda out of the window (plus the font used is ugly as sin). I'll quickly see about my idea for a fading func_brush.

Edited:

So I threw this together for anyone to look at. Using func_illusionary, and a few logic entities you can make a fading wall that will not impact the use of the toolgun. This includes the map I was testing on in both VMF and BSP, and a prefab of the system (with prefab safe naming) if you can't be fucked to make it from scratch.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6003122/trace_test.zip
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

38. Post #1638
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    -snip snop snap removing stupid crap-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

39. Post #1639
    January 2010
    5,243 Posts
    Instead of having the doors automatically open and close, why not have them set to open by default and only the player can tell them to close, and then they stay closed until you open them again. That way it's your own damn fault if you get lost.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #1640
    August 2010
    293 Posts
    What if you made the entire floor be one big invisible non-colliding button which toggles outlines and the door of the white room?

It would make it easy to get a grasp on where you are when building something in there, and it would be easy to toggle, because you'd always know where the button is. Just press use on the floor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)