1. Post #401
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts

I still hate these light models that are everywhere

I think it'd look better with unexplained light.
    [h2]Done. Light Models Removed.[/h2] Light is now "unexplainable".

Edited:

Awww dang. I liked those holes. At least add some kind of ramp to get up to the top of the building. As people have said, not every server will have noclip enabled.
    That choice is up to garry.

2. Post #402
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts
    i played on a server without noclip and i was still very able to get to the top of the roof; in fact it was the most fun part of construct.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

3. Post #403
    October 2008
    1,249 Posts
    i played on a server without noclip and i was still very able to get to the top of the roof; in fact it was the most fun part of construct.
    Just like a challenge or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #404
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    More notes:
    What about removing the windows on the sides of balcony? They look rather odd. (The black ones)
    [h2]Done.[/h2]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #405
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,822 Posts
    Dammit, I'm missing all of the fun mapping challenges.
    This vacation sucks..

Thank you so much Colton for handling all of this while I'm gone, I'm sorry if you need a hand but I won't be back for around 24 hours :/

Edit:
    Wow, I didn't even know I was close too 1,000 posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 11Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #406

February 2012
    195 Posts
    This vacation sucks..

Thank you so much Colton for handling all of this while I'm gone, I'm sorry if you need a hand but I won't be back for around 24 hours :/
    HAPPY 1000th! POST! *party streamers*
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb x 11Optimistic x 3Friendly x 2Winner x 2Funny x 2Useful x 1 (list)

7. Post #407
    May 2009
    3,470 Posts
    HAPPY 1000th! POST! *party streamers*
    PenguinGuy dude you forgot the cake.

8. Post #408

February 2012
    195 Posts
    PenguinGuy dude you forgot the cake.
    Damn, sorry. Well, I brought a 6-pack of cans. Will that do?

9. Post #409
    August 2011
    391 Posts

Owf Tawpic. Not Good.

On topic: No bugs yet again, i cant think of anything that seems annoying or anything.

Edit: How the hell am i dumb? It WAS off topic!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

10. Post #410
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts

I get a feeling more could be done with this tunnel. Maybe make it bigger, and make it stretch all the way down to the building at the end with the hollow inside? Maybe have it go under the map and join up with the submarine tunnel at the other end? Maybe have it come up in the lobby building at the other side too?

Someone else, come up with a draft using photoshop/ms-paint of a tunnel layout from an aerial view looking down on the map, if the idea gets enough positive votes after revising it over and over, I will implement it.

Edited:

I get a weird feeling that this shouldn't be joined.. maybe wall it off and have a dead end alley way between the two buildings, and have the tunnel going between them go back into the void and loop around and go into the building next door..

[h2]Done.[/h2]
    It will need a LOT of revisement between both myself and HighVoltage and the community before the passage will be considered done.

Edited:

Couple of suggestions:
    Move wall to red line

Cut off the building from the block of flats and align with grass
    yes I posted this before but it seems relevant again
    I have drafted up the passageway, but it will require lots of critical review before it will be considered done. So be ready to eventually have a workshop update pushed out that will uglify that area considerably for now.

Edited:

A 6-pack of cans of baby blood? A 6-pack of cans of kittens? The quantity of the cans is not what concerns me, it is the contents of the cans...

Edited:

This vacation sucks..

Edit:
    Wow, I didn't even know I was close too 1,000 posts
    I will definately need your help revising parts of the map, including the red-stripe texture rotational alignments and revising the various tunnel systems.

Edited:

I'd make this building hollow inside, but you can only get in there via noclip, or some really long underground tunnel.

The building is now hollowed out. No lighting system implemented for now. And the tunneling system is pending. I am going to possibly created a shared google image so people can draft it up. Hopefully noone draws any penises or tries to fuck things up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

11. Post #411
    GET OUT OF OUR CODE YOU FILTHY HACKERS 8-) BITCHES
    July 2009
    3,740 Posts
    Someone else, come up with a draft using photoshop/ms-paint of a tunnel layout from an aerial view looking down on the map, if the idea gets enough positive votes after revising it over and over, I will implement it.

Something like this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 16Agree Agree x 7 (list)

12. Post #412
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    Pushing the current build of the map to the workshop once it finishes compiling. I will not bother compiling cubemaps for now, they are just getting in the way, and are not even what they are supposed to be right now, since we are working on the map, and we do not plan on updating cubemaps until the map is mostly done.

Edited:

Something like this?
    Yes, but I think the community would agree, it would be nice to have some sort of a middle bunker room of some sort.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #413
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,822 Posts
    Colton, if you don't mind may I work on the tunnel and submarine systems? I have a few ideas that I would like to implement myself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #414
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,660 Posts

I actually liked these holes right here. They have the room a less "square" feel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

15. Post #415
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    3,508 Posts

I actually liked these holes right here. They have the room a less "square" feel.
    It seemed cool that you could design your own housing complex or something and make an elevator out of it, and just close off the extra space with blast doors or something...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Professional x64 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

16. Post #416
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    Colton, if you don't mind may I work on the tunnel and submarine systems? I have a few ideas that I would like to implement myself.
    Okay then. Tunnels and Submarine Area is up to you to handle. I am finishing up some work on the passageway between the spawnpoint room and the apartment next to spawn point, so far the rooms dont render eachother when you are in one of them, which is nice. If you are in the spawnpoint building, it doesnt render any of the apartment next to it, and visa versa. I'm also handling some other miscellanea.

Edited:

It seemed cool that you could design your own housing complex or something and make an elevator out of it, and just close off the extra space with blast doors or something...
    I liked them as well, but maybe things will be okay, or we may come back to modify it again in the future to implement an elevator servicing thing again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #417
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts
    Once again reminding you about the concrete area you said you'd add.

[sub][sub]or i'll just do it myself, fine. :colbert:[/sub][/sub]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #418
    May 2008
    240 Posts
    If I considered myself any good at mapping I would want to try to help out, but I feel like I'd ruin more than I'd help since I'm such a novice :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #419
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    Once again reminding you about the concrete area you said you'd add.

[sub][sub]or i'll just do it myself, fine. :colbert:[/sub][/sub]
    Concrete Area Where? If you are referring to the corner by the outer grass entrance to the stairwell that goes to the darkroom, we did not agree to make that area concrete, in fact, we had many people other than us that agreed that the grass being flat is good enough.

If you are talking about another area, by all means, I apologize.

20. Post #420
    Fight until death, shoot until empty.

November 2009
    15,856 Posts
    Pushing the current build of the map to the workshop once it finishes compiling. I will not bother compiling cubemaps for now, they are just getting in the way, and are not even what they are supposed to be right now, since we are working on the map, and we do not plan on updating cubemaps until the map is mostly done.

Edited:

Yes, but I think the community would agree, it would be nice to have some sort of a middle bunker room of some sort.

How about a bunker.. that has a boat launch in it

21. Post #421
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,327 Posts
    Here's an idea that i've had about a sort of tunnel / bunker system under the map:

Basically, my idea of it would be a large area under the map with a deep pool of water (enough for building large boats or submarines),
    with a raised platform out of the water (but by the pool) for building and a couple of exits. (One to the mirror room and another hidden one to the lakeside building assuming it's hollowed out and something is done with it)

Very rough sketch so it obviously wouldn't be 100 % accurate ingame and it would have to be modified in order to be built around the existing map; but it would follow the general concept.

The only doubts that I have about this are that some might consider it too "complex" for gm_construct.

(Might have a small waterfall from the lake spilling into the pool below for aesthetics)

Where the entrance to the tunnel would be: (under the platform in the lake)

Where the entrance in the mirror room would be:

This idea probably wouldn't work for various reasons i'm sure (mainly because some might think it's too complicated), but still throwing it in there.

Edited:

Sorry about having to use MS-Paint also.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 6Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #422
    February 2010
    519 Posts
    Bunker Idea.
    I think the idea of having some sort of underground pool leaking water from the pond above it would be really cool for submarine builds and such.

It doesn't have to be as elaborate as Lolwat's idea, since it could just be a smaller pool with droplets of water leaking from the rock ceiling directly above.

Another idea closer to Lolwut's could be some kind of floodgate setup, where excess water from the pond is coming through the passage way underneath the platform "upstairs" and going through a tunnel into a large pool. Just imagine the main pond in the map actually being a spring, you could have flowing water "down the tube" underneath the platform and walkways going along it, making an air pocket and an area above the water where you can walk arround.

I've seen this sort of thing with water reserves in cities before, all the water comes from a big pond in a closed off park in the middle of the city, exactly like construct.

23. Post #423
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,327 Posts
    I think the idea of having some sort of underground pool leaking water from the pond above it would be really cool for submarine builds and such.

It doesn't have to be as elaborate as Lolwat's idea, since it could just be a smaller pool with droplets of water leaking from the rock ceiling directly above.

Another idea closer to Lolwut's could be some kind of floodgate setup, where excess water from the pond is coming through the passage way underneath the platform "upstairs" and going through a tunnel into a large pool. Just imagine the main pond in the map actually being a spring, you could have flowing water "down the tube" underneath the platform and walkways going along it, making an air pocket and an area above the water where you can walk arround.

I've seen this sort of thing with water reserves in cities before, all the water comes from a big pond in a closed off park in the middle of the city, exactly like construct.
    Completely off topic but...

Now that i'm reading my username directly from someone elses post,
    why did I choose that name when I made my account

Edited:

That does sound like a very interesting idea though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #424
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    575 Posts
    Here's an idea that i've had about a sort of tunnel / bunker system under the map:

Basically, my idea of it would be a large area under the map with a deep pool of water (enough for building large boats or submarines),
    with a raised platform out of the water (but by the pool) for building and a couple of exits. (One to the mirror room and another hidden one to the lakeside building assuming it's hollowed out and something is done with it)

Very rough sketch so it obviously wouldn't be 100 % accurate ingame and it would have to be modified in order to be built around the existing map; but it would follow the general concept.

The only doubts that I have about this are that some might consider it too "complex" for gm_construct.

(Might have a small waterfall from the lake spilling into the pool below for aesthetics)

Where the entrance to the tunnel would be: (under the platform in the lake)
    Best tunnel idea so far imo. Incorporating a sub/water area and the new hollowed tower is great. The only thing I would add is make sure any tunnels are large enough to be useful (no point in a sub tunnel if subs can't fit in it, and so forth).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

25. Post #425
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,327 Posts
    The only thing I would add is make sure any tunnels are large enough to be useful (no point in a sub tunnel if subs can't fit in it, and so forth).
    Well, in it's current scale in the drawing (look at the existing doorways in the map to see it's scale)
    I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue.

Now that i've looked at my sketch again and again, I think adding a bridge overhead between the small platform by the mirror room entrance and the building platform would be good.
    (There would be no way for you to escape from NPCs chasing you)

Edited:

I also realize that the stairs leading up to where the mirror room entrance would be and the bridge are really large in the drawing compared to the other doorways and halls in the map.

It was a mistake on my part.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #426
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    [Note: Right now we will not be updating the map on workshop until we have semi-finalized a couple things. Garry gave us a huge to-do list on the map, and these changes are happening because he wants them, and much of the community wants them as well, most notably are Underground Tunnels and an Underground Submarine area being added soon. Please understand that we do not want to confuse the community by pushing out a half-drafted update of the changes so far, so when we get more done, we will update it again.]

Also, grocel is working on some concept stuff regarding textures and optimizations, he will post media in the thread semi-soon. If everyone likes his stuff, we will merge the changes into the main project.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

27. Post #427
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,414 Posts
    Where the entrance in the mirror room would be:

This idea probably wouldn't work for various reasons i'm sure (mainly because some might think it's too complicated), but still throwing it in there.

Edited:

Sorry about having to use MS-Paint also.
    I think that there should be nothing on the side walls or back wall here, so that the mirror illusion can work to its fullest.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 3 (list)

28. Post #428
    geekdeer

December 2009
    216 Posts
    ** Picture of tunel bunker **
    I love this !! thanks god, I got this idea in mind but to lazy to draw it :(

Please do it like this HighVoltage, I really love to have something more in the water !!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #429
    May 2008
    240 Posts
    that's why I thought garry was joking on the underground paths and underwater tunnel and massive-white-room suggestions
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

30. Post #430
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,327 Posts
    I think that there should be nothing on the side walls or back wall here, so that the mirror illusion can work to its fullest.
    How exactly does the mirror work in that room by the way?

I know it doesn't reflect players but I never questioned it.
    It does reflect the geometry in the map though it seems.

Edited:

Either way unless it's changed, players still wouldn't be reflected in the mirror so there's no point in worrying about the illusion for it if more than one person is in the room.

31. Post #431
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    How exactly does the mirror work in that room by the way?

I know it doesn't reflect players but I never questioned it.
    It does reflect the geometry in the map though it seems.

Edited:

Either way unless it's changed, players still wouldn't be reflected in the mirror so there's no point in worrying about the illusion for it if more than one person is in the room.
    Garry is working on that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

32. Post #432
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,327 Posts
    If having that entrance to the mirror room seems like a bad idea, you could extend the path, maybe add another small area in between, and have another entrance coming into the building by the bunker.

Or maybe even the dark room.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

33. Post #433
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    If having that entrance to the mirror room seems like a bad idea, you could extend the path, maybe add another small area in between, and have another entrance coming into the building by the bunker.

Or maybe even the dark room.
    HighVoltage will be handing all of the tunnel and bunker systems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #434
    October 2008
    1,249 Posts
    Colton gave me a copy of the vmf, so I could do some optimizing concepts for him. Ignore the full-bright, the matter are the visleafs:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #435
    January 2010
    4,027 Posts
    Also, I really think the skybox needs some ground and hills in the distance, maybe akin to the flatgrass concept that was thrown around the other day
    >:o

Edited:

Some mountain or tree cards in the distance to give the effect of it going on forever after the grass would work pretty nicely, like what Valve did with TF2's skyboxes.
    >:O

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Late Late x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #436
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,327 Posts
    Well...

Here's a revised sketch for how it could be done if the mirror room entrance doesn't work out
    (assuming it isn't removed altogether)

The path could go to where ever actually.

37. Post #437
    October 2011
    12 Posts
    Something that has always bugged me a little is the side texture of hanger beams (pic1), it looks so lo-res compared to everything else. Perhaps you could replace it with a clearer looking texture like the ones in pictures 2&3. I know its a small thing, and others have mentioned they like the original textures on the map, but I just think it would make the hanger look a bit fresher/renewed.

Also is it possible that you could still include links with the updated map, I can't access the workshop without the beta (if I can could someone please let me know how, the link does not work for me.), and I would really like to see the progress first hand.

Keep up the amazing work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

38. Post #438
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    I am going to give people here in the thread an alternative download. This download will be for the Draft of the map as it is right now, with optimizations, but with no lighting data, seeing as lighting is not necessary to showcase the actual brushwork of the map.

So if you really want to see the map as it is right now, in fullbright, with no extra fizzazz, here is a link:
    http://••••••••GO5hP9

Using this, you can see how we hollowed out the lakeside building, how we sealed off the apartment building, and how we made a passage between the spawn buildings.

Note: I even included the mapicon for the map, since workshop doesn't process mapicons properly. This mapicon is subject to change at any time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 4 (list)

39. Post #439
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,327 Posts
    Is the lakeside building still just a w.i.p. right now?

I know the term "hollow" was used, but I didn't think it was literal.
    In my opinion it needs SOMETHING inside to give it detail.

With no floors maybe you could hollow out each of the windows in the textures on the walls. Not for people to enter through but just so they could see in or out.

Also that passage connecting the garage with the building next to it does look really bare.
    (as i'm sure you're already aware)

If nothing else, atleast make the passage extra detailed.

40. Post #440
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    Is the lakeside building still just a w.i.p. right now?

I know the term "hollow" was used, but I didn't think it was literal.
    In my opinion it needs SOMETHING inside to give it detail.

With no floors maybe you could hollow out each of the windows in the textures on the walls. Not for people to enter through but just so they could see in or out.

Also that passage connecting the garage with the building next to it does look really bare.
    (as i'm sure you're already aware)

If nothing else, atleast make the passage extra detailed.
    I called the map a draft for a reason, it is only the bare-bones foundational structure right now, and we will embellish details and gmod-ify it more and make it more friendly as we continue work on it.

I am just tidying up some stuff right now. HighVoltage will handle the details.