1. Post #641
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    81 Posts
    so are you gonna raise the tunnel to the secret submarine thing?
    i would like to see how it looks :)

2. Post #642
    January 2012
    216 Posts
    Got a wierd one for you. When behind the hilltop apartment, the water tower vanishes into thin air! Step just a little bit out from behind it, and there it is again!

Now you see it..........................Now you don't!
    confirmed. and its noy just when your behind that building, its if you anywhere past that corner.

3. Post #643
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    Got a wierd one for you. When behind the hilltop apartment, the water tower vanishes into thin air! Step just a little bit out from behind it, and there it is again!

Probably a result of the skybox wrapping around it like a box. When you move too far over, all you see is skybox, which would essentially make it dissapear. we can try to angle the skybox there so it doesnt poof out of existance when skybox is covering it completely. Added to changelist for implementation directly into the skybox if possible.

Edited:

We need a darn tie-breaker, the scores are so close to eachother, that we can hardly make a choice in good judgement, garry needs to get his butt in here soon for the vote:
    http://facepunch.com/threads/1171345...1#post35322451

We will leave it flush against the walls for now, but if garry comments and/or votes, we are switching it immediately over to extruded with player-clip angled brushes.

Edited:

so are you gonna raise the tunnel to the secret submarine thing?
    i would like to see how it looks :)
    We will see after we push the update to workshop + mediafire later on after we finish up some more changes.

Edited:

HighVoltage is asleep for the night, so I am currently working on the project again during the Nightly Phase.

Edited:

Fixed some brushwork and added AI Nodes for ground and air throughout the entire tunnel system, bunker room, and submarine room.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

4. Post #644
    January 2012
    216 Posts
    woot, most viewed/replied thread in the beta forum XD
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #645
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    [h2]Fun AI-Node Media:[/h2]

[h2]New Door Media:[/h2]

Edited:

Incoming Workshop Update...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Useful Useful x 1 (list)

6. Post #646
    October 2011
    12 Posts
    Could we get a file upload for gmod 12
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 2Zing Zing x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #647
    January 2012
    216 Posts
    when ever you do a WS update could you post a media fire link too?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #648
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    when ever you do a WS update could you post a media fire link too?
    Could we get a file upload for gmod 12
    I will try to have a mediafire link up and running at the same time that Workshop gets updated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #649
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    507 Posts
    I have an idea I'd like to try out in Hammer - do you mind if I decompile the map, make the change, and then post an in-game video? (I'll send you the resulting vmf and bsp if you like the idea)

10. Post #650
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    I have an idea I'd like to try out in Hammer - do you mind if I decompile the map, make the change, and then post an in-game video? (I'll send you the resulting vmf and bsp if you like the idea)
    Noone is stopping you from decompiling the Map into a VMF to show a concept. If people like it, we have no problem putting it in.

Edited:

Already fixed an issue with the thickness of the left-side white-room door being too thin on the panel side, but unfortunately I am not going to recompile it with this change for the public workshop/mediafire release.

Edited:

Sorry guys, gotta fix some bugs I noticed while running through the workshop version of the map. You will have to wait a little longer before it will be up for everyone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #651
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,661 Posts
    [/URL]
    I find it even weirder that these images are hosted on mediafire. That's probably the first time I've ever seen that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #652
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    [h2]Gmod 12 Map Download:[/h2]
    http://www.mediafire.com/?2kv4j1v66kvx245

[h2]All others using workshop, map is currently uploading and will be up very soon.[/h2]
    Workshop is now live.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #653

February 2012
    195 Posts
    This part seems a bit dark / Lightmap scale is to low or too high.

Also
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #654
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    This part seems a bit dark / Lightmap scale is to low or too high.
    We are going to look into why the map seems so dark in certain areas.

Also
    It's one thing to notice the skybox when you are walking, but to have a problem with it when you are JUMPING up and down, intentionally looking for it, of course you are going to see it! There is a level of professionalism that we want to get across, and that right there is nitpicking details that most people who never saw this thread would probably never notice. We have to keep as much of it viewable at eye level, we cannot afford to keep lowering the buildings in that area just because some players can see skybox when they jump up and down, looking for it.

Edited:

On another note, I noticed that when you record a video with Vid (Holly), it drops the fps considerably as we all know, probably from the compression. AND the VGUI budget goes off the charts.

I believe that GranPC mentioned that the overlay is just for debug purposes and will be removed, and that 'alone' might help the budget and/or FPS.

Edited:

[release]
    [h2]I may host a listen server again, with the map, to listen to suggestions and such in there, or just if you want to hang out in the map.[/h2]

Requirements:
    -Workshop Version of the Map.
    -Patience with a half-decent upload speed.

You can connect to me via the server list or console command:

[h2]Hostname:[/h2] "Cole's gm_construct_13 Official Development Server"
    connect 71.210.42.44
    [/release]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #655
    I Actually Use Radeon.
    February 2006
    3,563 Posts
    Goddamn wish I had the beta so I could join that server.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #656
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,661 Posts
    You can fix the water tower by scaling it with prop_scalable and throwing it into the actual skybox.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Prop_scalable
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

17. Post #657
    January 2012
    216 Posts
    [h2]This post is a work in progress. (ill add new bugs here for a while)[/h2]

[h2]ive found a few issues:[/h2]

1)

odd lines

2) in that room spawn any prop and pick it up, you will hear a splash

3)oh and one more thing PLZ FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! add player clipping brushes to the tunnels! XD

4)

i only get this in between the sub area and the lake. (im not in the tunnel im nocliped out.)
    I only get this with all mat_*'s off EX: mat_fullbright

5)

this tunnel looks odd (it may just be me but it seems out of place)

6) spawn building: wrong texture compared to the rest of the tunnels

7) this looks odd...

[h2]Request(s):[/h2]
    access to the mirror room?

access to the 4th & 5th balcony?

non water based access to outside from sub area:

same trim in sub room as in pic 2:

edges around concrete should wrap around this building too?

these look ugly maybe models instead of brushes? (i think this has been mentioned b4)

[h2]Fix(s):[/h2]

move hi-lighted section to fix random splashing sounds/effects in corridor/ bunker (pic is from below)
    (spawn a big prop in the tunnel EX: phx cube 4x4x4 or bigger (you have to wait around 2 secs then remove it) and you get a splash sound from being so close to the water)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #658
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    [h2]ive found a few issues:[/h2]

1)

odd lines
    Can try a couple things to get it fixed.

2) in that room spawn any prop and pick it up, you will hear a splash
    Cannot Confirm.

3)oh and one more thing PLZ FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! add player clipping brushes to the tunnels! XD
    that would possibly take away the realism. Vote Agree if you want player clips in the tunnels, making it impossible to get stuck on the supporting archways. Vote Disagree if you prefer being able to bump into them.

4)

i only get this in between the sub area and the lake.
    Cannot Confirm.

Maybe.

[h2]Trololol:[/h2]

OH GAWD ITS SO UGLY!!!
    [h2]*slap*[/h2]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19Disagree Disagree x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #659

September 2011
    724 Posts
    Hey guys . With all this talk bout the new gm_construct (and from what ive briefly seen flatgrass )...does anybody know if someone is planning on makeing a new gm_bigcity ? Cause from what i know those 3 are the top 3 most memorable maps on garrys mod
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

20. Post #660
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    4,492 Posts
    Anyone else think the lighting in the underground parts of the map is terrible?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

21. Post #661
    January 2012
    216 Posts
    the do seem a tad too bright (not much...)

Edited:

well im off for the night cya all XD ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #662
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    507 Posts
    I have a suggestion for the water room. I've done it in Hammer so you can see it in the below video. Its rough but it is just to demonstrate my idea.

Extra: This room allows you to disappoint Dog.

EDIT: Garry disliked this post, I guess there is no point pushing it any further, lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #663
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,827 Posts
    Please leave me suggestions instead of just saying its terrible. I'll be able to fix it if I know what you want and not just what you hate.

Edited:

4)

i only get this in between the sub area and the lake. (im not in the tunnel im nocliped out.)
    I only get this with all mat_*'s off EX: mat_fullbright
    So your saying you get this error when noclipping into areas that are in the void and you don't want errors? I can't fix that because its not hollow or anything, your just i
    5)

this tunnel looks odd (it may just be me but it seems out of place)
    What can I do to make it better?
    6) spawn building: wrong texture compared to the rest of the tunnels
    I did that so it matches the door frame into that room, but I'll change it anyways
    7) this looks odd...
    Easy fix.
    That area is unfinished and the tunnel is already planned.
    access to the 4th & 5th balcony?
    I'll do that later.
    non water based access to outside from sub area:
    I don't this take will be unnecessary, and would cause issues where you can see the room from outside.
    same trim in sub room as in pic 2:
    That now on my list.
    edges around concrete should wrap around this building too?
    That too.
    these look ugly maybe models instead of brushes? (i think this has been mentioned b4)
    What am i supposed to put there? there isn't anything small enough
    [h2]Fix(s):[/h2]
    move hi-lighted section to fix random splashing sounds/effects in corridor/ bunker (pic is from below)
    (spawn a big prop in the tunnel EX: phx cube 4x4x4 or bigger (you have to wait around 2 secs then remove it) and you get a splash sound from being so close to the water)
    I'll do that when I get back working on the map

24. Post #664
    November 2008
    1,153 Posts
    Please leave me suggestions instead of just saying its terrible. I'll be able to fix it if I know what you want and not just what you hate.
    I'd say they're probably a little bland and repetitive (I've only seen them in screenshots mind you), you could break up the repetition with a few build areas, both closed rooms (with doorways) and open rooms (pretty much just a concrete room with a wall missing, to make it seem open).

I can elaborate more if necessary, my post may make it a little difficult to understand what i mean..

25. Post #665
    May 2007
    63 Posts
    Sorry to nitpick, but why is this texture used so much?
    I know it was used in the original map, but it doesn't necessarily have to be used here too.

The torn wallpaper one on the walls is so ugly, why can't it be the smoother texture?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

26. Post #666
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,434 Posts
    The underground looks almost as it's fullbright if you ask me.

Use light_spot.

Edited:

The stairs also look really blocky and bulky

Edited:

Work on texture alignment in the vents too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

27. Post #667

July 2010
    2,064 Posts

This needs fixing somehow. This alone brings the quality of the map down to me, looks like something you'd see in someone's first map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

28. Post #668
    April 2011
    398 Posts
    [h2]in that room spawn any prop and pick it up, you will hear a splash
    Can confirm. The ceiling of that room and the hallway next to it both splash the first time you move a prop after spawning it.

New issues and issues I was holding out until the next version to mention:
    New-The bottom of the submarine room platform wasn't changed with the top. Instead of making it match the top, I would make the bottom all light concrete.
    Old-2 walls in the hilltop skyscraper are plastered, the other 2 are just drywalled. Is it supposed to be under construction?
    Old-The hallway outside the new door to the darkroom isn't completely dark.
    New-The floor of the sub room and tunnel aren't nodrawed underneath their new displacements.
    New-The first tunnel support after entering the tunnels from the spawn building is a different width and texture from the rest of them! OCD!!! (It was apparently copied from the doorframe rather than the other tunnel supports)
    Old-Still a couple pitch black shadows in the spawn building and garage, though overall ambience of the 2 is much brighter than before.
    New-The non-white sides of the whiteroom doors turn invisible when the white sides are made transparent.
    Old-Whiteroom doors stick when walked into before they are completely open.
    Old-There's an odd half step in the tunnel entrance to the submarine room. Maybe raise the room's floor to match the height of the spawn floor?
    Old-Random angle in the trim left over from when the sidewalk in the hilltop corner of the map was raised! OCD AGAAAIN!

29. Post #669
    January 2012
    26 Posts
    Hmmm, a GMod Beta server running this map?

That's a great idea. I'll save the IP and we can nitpick--errr...look for multiplayer bugs together.

30. Post #670
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    7,616 Posts
    Two things.

First: Is there a reason why the top set of stairs/hallway leading to the darkroom has a higher ceiling than the rest of the tunnel system?

Second: This is more minor nitpicking, but I've noticed that if you noclip into the elevator entrance that was sealed off, it shows the skybox as just black and such, but in every other thing like it, the map and skybox are just shown as normal. Perhaps this could be sorted for consistency?

31. Post #671
    April 2011
    398 Posts
    This is more minor nitpicking, but I've noticed that if you noclip into the elevator entrance that was sealed off, it shows the skybox as just black and such, but in every other thing like it, the map and skybox are just shown as normal. Perhaps this could be sorted for consistency?
    Hmmm, you're right. The roof of that building seems to have unnecessary brushes. In fact, unless my wireframe is deceiving me, what could be a single brush is in fact about 15. And that's being generous.

Edited:

Hmmm, myes, my wireframes are deceiving me. I went into my own map, which I know exactly where the brushes are placed, and it seems the source engine is rendering entirely too many polygons for one face of a single brush. strange. However, there are still at least 4 brushes there where there could be one.

32. Post #672
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,827 Posts
    Sorry to nitpick, but why is this texture used so much?
    I know it was used in the original map, but it doesn't necessarily have to be used here too.

The torn wallpaper one on the walls is so ugly, why can't it be the smoother texture?
    It was like that because when I took a vote it was a tie between those 2 textures so i used both and nobody complained until now. I'll change it too the other wall texture.

The underground looks almost as it's fullbright if you ask me.

Use light_spot.

Edited:

The stairs also look really blocky and bulky

Edited:

Work on texture alignment in the vents too
    I'll change them to light spots.
    What can i do to fix them?
    Where are they not aligned?

This needs fixing somehow. This alone brings the quality of the map down to me, looks like something you'd see in someone's first map.
    What am i supposed to put there? there isn't anything small enough
    Can confirm. The roof of that room and the hallway next to it both splash the first time you move a prop after spawning it.
    This is caused because the tunnel is right next to the water. I have mentioned this already and have replied to someone already reporting it just a few posts up.
    New gripes:
    -The bottom of the submarine room platform wasn't changed with the top. Instead of making it match the top, I would make the bottom all light concrete.
    Huh? so it wasn't changed and you don't want me to change it?
    -2 walls in the hilltop skyscraper are plastered, the other 2 are just drywalled. Is it supposed to be under construction?
    Already posted and answered.
    -The hallway outside the new door to the darkroom isn't completely dark.
    I'll remove the next light in the hall.
    -The floor of the sub room and tunnel aren't nodrawed underneath their new displacements.
    I don't see why this is an issue but I'll change it.
    -The first tunnel support after entering the tunnels from the spawn building is a different width and texture from the rest of them! OCD!!! (It was apparently copied from the doorframe rather than the other tunnel supports)
    It looked weird when it didn't match the door frame but i'll change it.
    -Still a couple pitch black shadows in the spawn building and garage, though overall ambience of the 2 is much brighter than before.
    I'll see if colton knows how to fix this.
    -The non-white sides of the whiteroom doors turn invisible when the white sides are made transparent.
    Thats because your making it transparent, this is normal.
    -Whiteroom doors stick when walked into before they are completely open.
    I'll fix this later.
    -Random angle in the trim left over from when the sidewalk in the hilltop corner of the map was raised! OCD AGAAAIN!
    Where is this? the picture doesn't tell me much. When i find it i'll fix it.

33. Post #673
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    4,492 Posts
    -snip fuck it-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

34. Post #674

July 2010
    2,064 Posts

Solution: get rid of the whole wide section of vent. It seems really out of place, especially considering it does nothing. Its not large enough to be of any use. Just continue the normal sized vent on and get rid of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #675

February 2012
    195 Posts
    You could make the underground lights have a tint of blue!

EDIT:
    phabeZ, heard of atmosphere?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

36. Post #676
    January 2012
    26 Posts
    I haven't been to the underground place yet, but I think a hint of blue in an underground place would make a neat, omnious atmosphere.

EDIT: Why do you gotta be such a killjoy, phabeZ? D:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #677
    April 2011
    398 Posts
    Thats because your making it transparent, this is normal.
    It's NOT normal. It's making both sides of the door transparent, which is wierd because I thought they were 2 seperate entities.

Huh? so it wasn't changed and you don't want me to change it?
    The bottom of the platform is half dark concrete, half light. You can make it match the top(all dark with light trim), or make it all light. I was suggesting the latter for aesthetic reasons.

Where is this? the picture doesn't tell me much. When i find it i'll fix it.
    It's by the hilltop apartment building, the one with multiple floors, on the side with the darkroom stairs.

It looked weird when it didn't match the door frame but i'll change it.
    Maybe change the doorframes too?

38. Post #678
    November 2008
    1,153 Posts

EDIT:
    phabeZ, heard of atmosphere?
    Underground lights having a tint of blue won't change the atmosphere much at all. I also feel being a construct map, it should be as pure as possible, i.e. white lights.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

39. Post #679
    April 2011
    398 Posts
    The AI noding needs some work in the open areas. Dog keeps running in zig-zags and loops to chase his ball.

GAH! Why is it editing 2 posts at once? AND WHERE DID MY OTHER POST GO? WHERE DID THIS EDIT LINE COME FROM!!???!?

40. Post #680
    January 2012
    26 Posts
    You know what would be cool? If at least one of the lights in the underground path flickered. Maybe more. I think that would give it a more "underground" feeling.

EDIT: Dunno if it's possible, sorry if it isn't, I don't know much about mapping.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)