1. Post #41
    January 2012
    216 Posts

thats an odd shadow to be on the roof XD
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13 (list)

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,822 Posts
    This is the first bug that I've noticed, you are probably already aware of it though.
    Already answered.
    That brush shouldn't reflect.
    I'll see if remaking the cubemap for it will work
    Tuning down the HDR would be good.
    HDR is removed until I learn how to get it to look good.
    One of the sides isn't quite touching the ground.
    Fixed.
    Age-old bug, should be taken care of.
    I seem to have fixed this now.
    The stairs leading to the expanded dark room shouldn't reflect.
    I'll add a cubemap for this too
    Not quite matching the width of the other one.
    Thats because this hole is for custom elevators and the other one is only for a ladder.
    Maybe it should be invisible?
    I can't do anything about that and the same thing happened in the original construct.
    You can see this while flying above, try lowering the displacement a bit.
    Fixed.

I'll repeat what I said in the other topic -

I'd suggest putting a solid wall behind the mirror with a texture which says "Mirror requires Gmod 13". Nobody with Gmod 13 would notice the difference, but Gmod 12 players would see it.

This will stop Gmod 12 users reporting it as a bug. An alternative would be just a solid wall with no message - it is better than no wall.
    There is a brush behind it. As you should be able to see, it isn't showing whats behind it. The mirror shader is broken and instead of showing whats in front of it it shows a mirror image of some random place in the map.

Continue the red footer texture thing up the wall there?
    I'll do this now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 14Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

3. Post #43
    Google first. ( Wiki )
    May 2008
    7,762 Posts
    I can't do anything about that and the same thing happened in the original construct.
    You probably can. Add grass displacement to the skybox so it covers that area? Not sure if it will work though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,423 Posts
    As far as I can tell a lot of people liked my submarine area suggestion in the last thread so I'll just leave it here as a reminder.

http://facepunch.com/threads/1168260...=#post35190922
    I really agree with this. It would be a nice little change that wouldn't really harm the aesthetic or philosophy of the map so long as it doesn't have a very complicated cave system or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

5. Post #45
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts
    Quick reminder about that concrete area

6. Post #46
    January 2012
    216 Posts
    this one?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

7. Post #47
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts
    Also add clip on the ladders

Edited:

Yes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #48
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,646 Posts

Continue the red footer texture thing up the wall there?
    That would look much nicer, and really isn't that hard to pull off.

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,822 Posts
    You probably can. Add grass displacement to the skybox so it covers that area? Not sure if it will work though.
    The world draws in front of the skybox, so it will just end up making it look worse.

this one?
    I guess I'll add that, what should it be like inside?

That would look much nicer, and really isn't that hard to pull off.
    Just finished it.

10. Post #50
    L33t modl haxorz..
    March 2012
    1,477 Posts
    This map rocks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14Informative Informative x 3Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    I paid $1 and all got was an STD
    October 2007
    1,797 Posts
    The world draws in front of the skybox, so it will just end up making it look worse.

Just finished it.
    It should be like to te left of the spawn on the original construct.

12. Post #52
    January 2012
    216 Posts
    couldent you do this?

just extend the grass brush (or other mat) in the skybox?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,822 Posts
    Thank you for taking your time and making a video showing every known bug that have all either been fixed (Almost all of them just 8 posts above you) or already addressed before.

Edited:

couldent you do this?

just extend the grass brush (or other mat) in the skybox?
    That will look really bad seeing as there isn't going to be grass in the skybox

Edited:

It should be like to te left of the spawn on the original construct.
    So with the unfinished plaster walls and concrete floor and ceiling?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

14. Post #54
    January 2012
    216 Posts
    That will look really bad seeing as there isn't going to be grass in the skybox
    im just trying to think of a way to get around that bug is all.

Edited:

you dont have to use a grass mat you could use any mat but i think your point was there would be no mat on the ground outside the wall so...

what if you mated the out side of the stairs in debugwhite then added a slight blue tinge to it? it would at least make it less notice able.

Edited:

is it just me or is it boring having the same building echoed 20x in the skybox?

Edited:

was it ruled out to:
    move <blue> over
    shorten <red>
    and extend <black>

???
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 14Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    3,403 Posts
    One of the best maps I've seen.

Not that my opinion carries any weight, of course. I don't have much experience in these things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #56
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    9,652 Posts
    We need a 3d skybox!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 15Agree x 4Disagree x 2Funny x 1Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    576 Posts
    I second this. The construct skybox desperately needs a "floor" of some kind, has since version one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #58
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,822 Posts
    im just trying to think of a way to get around that bug is all.

Edited:

you dont have to use a grass mat you could use any mat but i think your point was there would be no mat on the ground outside the wall so...

what if you mated the out side of the stairs in debugwhite then added a slight blue tinge to it? it would at least make it less notice able.

Edited:

is it just me or is it boring having the same building echoed 20x in the skybox?

Edited:

was it ruled out to:
    move <blue> over
    shorten <red>
    and extend <black>

???
    There isn't many skybox models to choose from.. so it either that or almost empty
    And separating the buildings looked bad. There is no need for an ally in between them.

One of the best maps I've seen.

Not that my opinion carries any weight, of course. I don't have much experience in these things.
    Your opinion carried enough weight to warm my heart :3

We need a 3d skybox!
    It is 3d...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 11Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,660 Posts
    Occluder.

And separating the buildings looked bad. There is no need for an ally in between them.
    It looked much better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Useful Useful x 2 (list)

20. Post #60
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,822 Posts
    Occluder.
    Will it work if I place it out in the void though?

Change loge updated:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,660 Posts
    Will it work if I place it out in the void though?
    You'd place it over the areas that you can see.

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,822 Posts
    You'd place it over the areas that you can see.
    I'm trying it now

23. Post #63

June 2010
    53 Posts

Thats because this hole is for custom elevators and the other one is only for a ladder.
    Making a hole in the map specifically made to make an elevator is kind of dumb and makes the map look trashy :/

Also don't put so much lights in the small rooms make them like the original room in Gm_construct by the spawn it only had 2 lights and it gave the place a sense of incompleteness and abandonment as well did the unpainted plastered walls, like its under construction hence the name Gm_construct.

The rooms with rows of lights are annoying try spreading them out and using less lights

I also want to share my crappy version of Gm_construct i made a long time ago maybe it will give you some ideas

(In my opinion your map is above and beyond my map but i still want to share it :P)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb x 16Friendly x 3Disagree x 3Useful x 2Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,660 Posts
    I'm trying it now
    Huh, I can't replicate how it's done. But I remember someone using occluders (maybe area portal?) to solve this.

25. Post #65
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts
    use the brick texture i guess

26. Post #66
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,822 Posts
    use the brick texture i guess
    How big should it be? About the size of the skyscraper's first floor?

Edited:

Here is my update for today:

27. Post #67
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts
    How big should it be? About the size of the skyscraper's first floor?
    A decent size, maybe a little smaller than 1024x2048, and A little garage with the plaster walls by the spawn would be nice too.

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    81 Posts
    the mirror is not working too well im not sure how much its ment to look like what its reflecting but its not exactly picture perfect and this bug also happens
    theres only one spy there :/

THIS IS DUE TO HOLLOW PROPS MOD!!!! ok :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #69
    L33t modl haxorz..
    March 2012
    1,477 Posts
    the mirror is not working too well im not sure how much its ment to look like what its reflecting but its not exactly picture perfect and this bug also happens
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/67870747/gm_...019-10-06.webm

how do you make these videos play on the forum :/
    use [vid]["/"vid] tags. without the quotes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

30. Post #70
    All in all, the clock is slow.
    April 2008
    1,662 Posts
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/67870747/gm_...019-10-06.webm

how do you make these videos play on the forum :/
    I think that happens anywhere with a reflection, just throw something in the water and you can see a hovering duplicate. Has this bug been addressed?

31. Post #71
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,117 Posts
    The mirror's illusion would work far better if it didn't have the top trim. Functionally, the side trims aren't helping either. Also, if it was moved outward into the room you would have a reflection that seamlessly showed the side wall without a big grey doorframe in the picture.

This is kind of irritating.

Last but not least, the walkway over the water is just a tiny bit too low. By raising the bottom of it the full thickness of 1 phx plate the player will have just enough space to be able to sit under it but have their head/gun out of the water.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

32. Post #72
    November 2008
    1,153 Posts
    Edit: Based on the ratings so far, it doesn't seem like a very popular idea, oh well. Removing the post so you don't have to scroll too much to get past it, I do still thing something needs to be changed with that overhang over the water though.

To those curious as to what the suggestion was, here's a direct link to the image diagram i made http://i.imgur.com/qOIyy.jpg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 13Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

33. Post #73
    January 2012
    63 Posts
    I second the idea of the tunnel in the brick wall underwater, maybe opening up to another area.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

34. Post #74
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    485 Posts
    Does the white room have map entities covering the walls or entities garry has made in lua?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

35. Post #75
    January 2012
    216 Posts
    is it just me or is having the same old lighting scheme (over head lights) in all the rooms kinda boring it is suppose to be construction we should do something different. maybe a different light source (not just model but pos too) possibly something to add to the feel that its still under construction?

flood lights in some places is one possibility but then again not all lights have to be on, could there be some burnt out/broken?

the point is its kinda boring having the same lights to light everything the same way everywhere.

AGHHHHH

These are used WAY too much. I'd get rid of them ALL except the 3 originals.
    Edited:

More to the construction feel:

in the apartments, the first floor should be almost completely done but the further up you get it should be less and less done until you have a bare skeleton of walls that still need to be plastered/dry-walled, (in this im also suggesting you make diff rooms in some f the floors instead of open space in all of them and being exactly the same on every floor)

one small bug: while walking up the ladder in the apartments hold space... WTF!?!?!

but so far Great job Highvoltage and Colton Rappe i love the map and really hope it get's implemented in gmod 13; you have my thanks , respect, and awe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #76
    December 2009
    3,605 Posts
    There are a few more lighting bugs:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

37. Post #77
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    There are a few more lighting bugs:

In the examples that you showed regarding the shiny walls, those are not bugs, just the result of a high-resolution 128x128 cubemap applied to those walls. When seen from a distance, the diffusion is kind of removed, leaving an oddly sharp image reflection.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #78
    December 2009
    3,605 Posts
    In the examples that you showed regarding the shiny walls, those are not bugs, just the result of a high-resolution 128x128 cubemap applied to those walls. When seen from a distance, the diffusion is kind of removed, leaving an oddly sharp image reflection.
    I just took those screenshots from farther away because the close ones don't really show where in the map that part of the sideway is.

39. Post #79
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,660 Posts
    is it just me or is having the same old lighting scheme (over head lights) in all the rooms kinda boring it is suppose to be construction we should do something different. maybe a different light source (not just model but pos too) possibly something to add to the feel that its still under construction?

flood lights in some places is one possibility but then again not all lights have to be on, could there be some burnt out/broken?

the point is its kinda boring having the same lights to light everything the same way everywhere.

Edited:

More to the construction feel:

in the apartments, the first floor should be almost completely done but the further up you get it should be less and less done until you have a bare skeleton of walls that still need to be plastered/dry-walled, (in this im also suggesting you make diff rooms in some f the floors instead of open space in all of them and being exactly the same on every floor)

one small bug: while walking up the ladder in the apartments hold space... WTF!?!?!

but so far Great job Highvoltage and Colton Rappe i love the map and really hope it get's implemented in gmod 13; you have my thanks , respect, and awe.
    I think that the name construct doesn't mean that the buildings are under construction. I believe that it's supposed to imply the construction of things with props and other things in Garry's Mod.

The only thing that would suggest that this map is under construction is the plastered walls, and I only think those are there for aesthetics. Do correct me if I'm wrong, and if I am, perhaps we should make this map seem more like it is actually under construction.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

40. Post #80
    January 2012
    216 Posts
    Visual Update log!:

Edited:

I think that the name construct doesn't mean that the buildings are under construction. I believe that it's supposed to imply the construction of things with props and other things in Garry's Mod.

The only thing that would suggest that this map is under construction is the plastered walls, and I only think those are there for aesthetics. Do correct me if I'm wrong, and if I am, perhaps we should make this map seem more like it is actually under construction.
    construction was just a concept the main idea is the same old lighting is getting boring.

Edited:

Could you make the image of the sun a little higher in the sky its way to low:

with the sun left where it is the shadows should reach me :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)