1. Post #1121
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,059 Posts
    Maybe make a canal that extends towards towards the lake to the concrete?

2. Post #1122
    March 2011
    76 Posts
    The unfinished building should be like a hotel
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #1123
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,710 Posts
    Why?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #1124
    Just got into the beta (finally)

Played the latest version of the map, and I have to say it is amazing :)

I was immediately amused by the balconies, sitting in them and shooting my friend who also just got the beta, felt like a sniper
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 5Friendly Friendly x 1Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #1125
    January 2010
    4,029 Posts
    Just got into the beta (finally)
    :(

that feeling when you stay up stalking his twitter feed, day and night, and when he puts out more keys you fall asleep and an hour later all 13,000 of them are gone :(

then that feeling when you get sick afterwords and he uploads 1,000 keys the next morning but you were sick

then that feeling when he uploads another 1,500 keys on the weekend and you were still sick

:(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

6. Post #1126
    Fight until death, shoot until empty.

November 2009
    15,864 Posts
    and have a 50Mb map?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Zing Zing x 2Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #1127
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    192 Posts
    and have a 50Mb map?
    If Garry adds it to the game what's it going to matter? you wont have to download it.

Though I've got to say I dislike the idea of a hotel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 3 (list)

8. Post #1128
    Fight until death, shoot until empty.

November 2009
    15,864 Posts
    If Garry adds it to the game what's it going to matter? you wont have to download it.

Though I've got to say I dislike the idea of a hotel.
    It'll take 5 minutes to load
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #1129
    January 2010
    4,029 Posts
    It'll take 5 minutes to load
    RP_Evocity takes me about 4-5 or even 10 seconds to load. But I'm pretty sure that map is more than 50MB..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #1130
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    220 Posts
    This is starting to look interesting...

By the way, here are some designs I made for the previous revision of gm_construct (though it looks like you guys already added a sweet sub bay).

Mine was laid out a bit differently:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Winner Winner x 2 (list)

11. Post #1131

May 2008
    181 Posts
    The walls on those buildings are really white. With HDR on, I'm getting arc eyes from purely looking at them They are way too clean and don't really fit in with the rest of the landscape.

Here's what I mean:

I'm sure if you use a slightly darker/grittier texture the buildings would look like the originals and fit in better with the landscape.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 South Africa Show Events Agree Agree x 7Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #1132
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    506 Posts
    Isn't that just a problem with HDR? I find it makes everything too bright in Source games, so I always disable it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #1133
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,822 Posts
    The walls on those buildings are really white. With HDR on, I'm getting arc eyes from purely looking at them They are way too clean and don't really fit in with the rest of the landscape.

Here's what I mean:
    -image-
    I'm sure if you use a slightly darker/grittier texture the buildings would look like the originals and fit in better with the landscape.
    The problem is that I don't have any textures that will match any better then those and any time I have tried including a custom texture in the map it ended up glitching really bad and eventually causing a crash.

14. Post #1134

May 2008
    181 Posts
    The problem is that I don't have any textures that will match any better then those and any time I have tried including a custom texture in the map it ended up glitching really bad and eventually causing a crash.
    So there's no way of controlling reflectivity of surfaces? Is that even something you can adjust with the light_environment entity or texture tool? If none of what I said makes sense, it's because it's been literally AGES since I've used Hammer.

15. Post #1135
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,822 Posts
    From what I understand, reflectivity can be adjusted in the materials .vmt but I think it would still glitch out.

16. Post #1136
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    From what I understand, reflectivity can be adjusted in the materials .vmt but I think it would still glitch out.
    Reflectivity has nothing to do with HDR though. It only controls how much light is reflected off a surface.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #1137
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,710 Posts
    env_tonemap.
    Use that to soften bloom and HDR.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 2 (list)

18. Post #1138
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    4,636 Posts
    Since this map is going to be the next gm_construct replacement, does anyone know if there's any way to 'port' a save from one map to another, both maps being identic?

I have a save stored in gm_construct and don't want to lose it. I have made a copy of the classic gm_construct, but I'm not sure how to 'port' everything from the map onto the other gm_construct.
    Welding and Adv.Duplicating everything would be a tough job, specially since there's ropes connected to the world that I'd likely have to recreate.

Any ideas?

19. Post #1139

April 2012
    33 Posts
    Since this map is going to be the next gm_construct replacement, does anyone know if there's any way to 'port' a save from one map to another, both maps being identic?

I have a save stored in gm_construct and don't want to lose it. I have made a copy of the classic gm_construct, but I'm not sure how to 'port' everything from the map onto the other gm_construct.
    Welding and Adv.Duplicating everything would be a tough job, specially since there's ropes connected to the world that I'd likely have to recreate.

Any ideas?
    It will probably work, I think. Not fully sure though

And I also think that the HDR is perfectly fine, gives it that just-woken-up feel.

Also, I'm looking for the vents, could someone tell me where they are? PM me if it's a secret place!

Edited:

This is put of place. Texture needs flipping to the other side.

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #1140
    SirCrest is my life, so is yours.
    October 2009
    7,451 Posts
    Isn't that just a problem with HDR? I find it makes everything too bright in Source games, so I always disable it.
    Turn off bloom

21. Post #1141
    January 2012
    216 Posts

Any ideas?
    it will use the same map name so gmod will read it the same. you won't have to do anything
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

22. Post #1142
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,646 Posts

And I also think that the HDR is perfectly fine, gives it that just-woken-up feel.

Also, I'm looking for the vents, could someone tell me where they are? PM me if it's a secret place!

Edited:

I think that texture in general is out of place. It doesn't look right even when aligned correctly. The texture is an interior ceiling texture, it just looks wrong using it there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

23. Post #1143

May 2008
    181 Posts
    Bug with the mirror:
    (And yes, this IS GMod 13)

It's the hallway at the back and the white room bleeding through. You can see that the middle stairs doesn't bleed through, because it is being occluded. I am NOT good with mapping, having merely dabbled in Hammer editing, but this could probably be fixed by adding sliding doors which in turn occludes the entire back area. Or just manually "occlusion culling" that area by hand as soon as you enter the room (Area Portals behind sliding doors?).

gm_ps_hugeflatconstruct and a few other maps had entrances with fading black brushes over them. As soon as you approach, the alpha changes gradually down to 0, and the areas behind them that were once occlusion culled is revealed. I suggest either adding that, with a combination of Area Portals or making the entrances from the side so that the back area is fully occlusion culled. Some pro mapper might be able to point out any flaws in my logic. I apologise for the long post and crappy explanation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 South Africa Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #1144
    April 2011
    398 Posts
    Bug with the mirror:

It's the hallway at the back and the white room bleeding through. You can see that the middle stairs doesn't bleed through, because it is being occluded. I am NOT good with mapping, having merely dabbled in Hammer editing, but this could probably be fixed by adding sliding doors which in turn occludes the entire back area. Or just manually "occlusion culling" that area by hand as soon as you enter the room (Area Portals behind sliding doors?).
    I'm having this problem too. They said it was my addons, but I uninstalled them all and did a clean install of gmod 13 and still had it. It's also happening with water. Garry did something with update 16.

gm_ps_hugeflatconstruct and a few other maps had entrances with fading black brushes over them. As soon as you approach, the alpha changes gradually down to 0, and the areas behind them that were once occlusion culled is revealed. I suggest either adding that, with a combination of Area Portals or making the entrances from the side so that the back area is fully occlusion culled. Some pro mapper might be able to point out any flaws in my logic. I apologise for the long post and crappy explanation.
    You call that fade gradual? It was ugly as heck. There's a reason they removed it, and it's not even a big or detailed enough map to need those tiny indoor areas unrendered at long distances.

25. Post #1145
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,822 Posts
    That mirror bug doesn't just happen on this map either. Ran a quick test in hammer and got the same results.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #1146
    January 2012
    280 Posts
    Did anyone remove the map from workshop?

edit:
    Disregard that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 2Late Late x 1 (list)

27. Post #1147

March 2012
    1,136 Posts

Any ideas?
    In the "gm_construct history" addon, there's a map called "gm_construct_12". That's the one from v12 which is released. Try to edit the save file so it loads on the gm_construct_12 map.

28. Post #1148
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,822 Posts
    env_tonemap.
    Use that to soften bloom and HDR.
    There is already one, but I'll soften it some more.

Edited:

Edited:

The vents wouldn't be much of a secret if somebody told you right?
    I just fixed that texture issue.
    I also just stopped all lights from flickering.

Bug with the mirror:

That mirror issue has nothing to do with the map as far as I know.
    I never liked the look of those fading black brushes.

29. Post #1149
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    There is already one, but I'll soften it some more.

The vents wouldn't be much of a secret if somebody told you right?
    I just fixed that texture issue.

That mirror issue has nothing to do with the map as far as I know.
    I never liked the look of those fading black brushes.
    For the tonemap, try setting the hdr autoexposure max to 4, and the min to 0. It'll give you a nice range of HDR, but make sure to adjust the exposure speed too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

30. Post #1150
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,822 Posts
    For the tonemap, try setting the hdr autoexposure max to 4, and the min to 0. It'll give you a nice range of HDR, but make sure to adjust the exposure speed too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 7Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #1151

February 2010
    220 Posts
    Aww, but I liked the flickering, it added a eerie creepy feeling to the tunnels. Kinda like "You shouldn't be down here but you went anyways".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #1152
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    Turn up the damn tonemap rate.

Oh and set the bloom scale to 0.4.

33. Post #1153
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,822 Posts
    The tonemap rate is 2, the autoexposure is 3 and bloomscale is 0.4
    Doing a compile now to see how it looks.

34. Post #1154
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,822 Posts
    Updated the workshop file.
    The main changes include less gloomy tunnels, the interior of the lakeside skyscraper and the modified env_tonemap_controller settings for better HDR-ness.

35. Post #1155
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,971 Posts
    Aww, but I liked the flickering, it added a eerie creepy feeling to the tunnels. Kinda like "You shouldn't be down here but you went anyways".
    Maybe there can be a switch which makes the light flicker?

36. Post #1156
    March 2011
    76 Posts
    hell why not theres so much room for atleast 8 floors or more and an elevator
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #1157
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,822 Posts
    hell why not theres so much room for atleast 8 floors or more and an elevator
    This map is not a RP map, this is a sandbox map. If people really want to roleplay in it they can wait until I release the .vmf and someone edits it to suit RP

38. Post #1158
    FOSSILIZED SHIT MAGGOT INFERNO
    August 2010
    2,729 Posts
    Is it just me or does the latest version of the map have this really weird excessive gloss on certain brushes?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

39. Post #1159
    January 2012
    216 Posts
    Is it just me or does the latest version of the map have this really weird excessive gloss on certain brushes?

this is a cube map/ smoothing group error. they have already said NOT to report these, there only working on the brush work right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

40. Post #1160
    FOSSILIZED SHIT MAGGOT INFERNO
    August 2010
    2,729 Posts
    this is a cube map/ smoothing group error. they have already said NOT to report these, there only working on the brush work right now.
    apologies, I got banned and missed some stuff

Here's something else I noticed, it's a little hard to put into pictures..

Some of these lights seem to "pop" to a different brightness as you approach/move away from them

2nd pic is what happens as soon as you take a step forward
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)