1. Post #1521

January 2012
    2 Posts
    I like it!
    Can people see out from those windows in the tenements?

Edited:

I tought that corner is bit boring, so here's my idea.

Also it would be good if people are able to see trough the windows, or the window atlest, isntead of bare wall.

Edited:

Also you guys should add trims on bottom and top of those walls.

Edited:

Atleast in interiors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #1522
    Casual Bananas
    February 2011
    1,716 Posts
    Have you tried using a Virtual PC before? It should be able to let you run windows on a mac and there is no need for formatting drives.
    But the whole reason a lot of people people get mac is so they don't have to deal with windows anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 10Dumb Dumb x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #1523

January 2012
    2 Posts
    Really? 3 disagrees? Garry's isn't a good person... He is AWESOME!
    Garry is a good person.
    Edited:

I agree about that, but the windows should be smaller from the way you put it(not to troll or anything).
    here have some input, this came in my mind when looking at the image

Edited:

He should!
    Sweet. Good job. I wonder if garry will include that as a stock prop.
    Edited:

WOW! Its looks awesome. Keep up with the good work.

blammo!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3797350/tmp/logo_gmod.zip

there are two versions, the second one is mirrored (as seen above)

they both are 128 units wide/tall, and have phy models so they can be used as physic props

(i'm gonna try to optimize it some more though)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #1524
    January 2012
    216 Posts

Edited:

I agree about that, but the windows should be smaller from the way you put it(not to troll or anything).

Edited:

He should!

Edited:

not to be rude... buts with the necro posting?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #1525
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    not to be rude... buts with the necro posting?
    I don't blame him for necro-posting, if you want to call it that. The thread gets so stale sometimes. This is why i thought it would be a good idea to bring another hand on board if HighVoltage consents, so they can work on some parts of the map that are simply labor intensive, and we can focus on the design aspects of the map ourselves.

One of the most annoying things to deal with that has put our tunnel system development to a crawl is that the displacements wont sew together, at least not in any easy way. Up until a point where they just dont want to work at all, so I might have to re-do some displacement work just to get the tunnels going.

We have had a couple people volunteer their abilities, some with some amazing promise, but no word back from HighVoltage on what he thinks about it all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #1526
    Dennab
    December 2006
    1,979 Posts
    "Work should continue soon. Further map changes will be noted as soon as possible." is not a good example of a changelog entry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 11Dumb Dumb x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

7. Post #1527
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    124 Posts
    It seems a lot of the problems are caused by the using the existing map, this maybe to much to ask, but have you considered working from the ground up? Like completely starting again, it might take a while but it might fix a lot of the problems you guys keep having.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #1528
    May 2012
    247 Posts
    Have you tried using a Virtual PC before? It should be able to let you run windows on a mac and there is no need for formatting drives.
    Not the Point.

9. Post #1529
    December 2008
    110 Posts
    One thing I find people liking about maps: Make it pretty.
    This seems like a redundant suggestion; "Well, duh, that's the whole point of commandeering this thread."

I mean, close your eyes, open them, then look at the map. Just look at it like a painting, not as, "Oh, it would be more useful... convenient if this were this way, or this door was here..."

Is it pretty? Can you honestly say you'd like to stare at it while working for hours?

Don't make things so blank and empty for building. I'll give an extreme example: flatgrass. It's all for building, but you'll get bored in twenty seconds.
    Don't make it too crowded. Then it's a map from CS:S.

Make it in between: make a few places that can be used for, say, RP, or just sitting there working with an Expression 2.

Make this map your home; make it completely useful for any purpose, including eye-candy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16Funny Funny x 2 (list)

10. Post #1530
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    One thing I find people liking about maps: Make it pretty.
    This seems like a redundant suggestion; "Well, duh, that's the whole point of commandeering this thread."

I mean, close your eyes, open them, then look at the map. Just look at it like a painting, not as, "Oh, it would be more useful... convenient if this were this way, or this door was here..."

Is it pretty? Can you honestly say you'd like to stare at it while working for hours?

Don't make things so blank and empty for building. I'll give an extreme example: flatgrass. It's all for building, but you'll get bored in twenty seconds.
    Don't make it too crowded. Then it's a map from CS:S.

Make it in between: make a few places that can be used for, say, RP, or just sitting there working with an Expression 2.

Make this map your home; make it completely useful for any purpose, including eye-candy.
    Do I need to pull out what I said on page 38 or will someone do it for me?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

11. Post #1531

May 2012
    22 Posts
    Like it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

12. Post #1532
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    Working on getting a compilable screenshot of what the tunnel system looks like in a 'rough' state.

I am also livestreaming again, but I am only doing it for informative reasons so people can give suggestions during the development process, not overtly-critical critisisms, if you want to direct Critisism, be as constructively helpful to get the problem resolved, not just make us upset.

http://www.livestream.com/colesserverstream

It will go live when I do a runthrough of the map as it is.

Edited:

Paimail, a member of the livestream chat volunteered some time to see if he could fix up the displacements not being sewed properly and also causing leaks galore in the map for the new tunnel system, if he succeeds in the next 2 hours before I go to work, I will commit it to the Official Dropbox Branch of the project.

Edited:

Paimail has encapsulated the tunnels in nodraw brush to prevent world-leaking, it is being designed so the displacements can have some lee-way with making the tunnel seem more organic rather than a shaft painted with rock texture.

Edited:

Going to do a compile to see how everything goes.

13. Post #1533
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    Encountered more leaks in the un-sealed tunnel system areas, currently working with Paimail to fix them quickly before I head off to work in 25 minutes..

Edited:

Still sealing off the tunnel displacements...

Edited:

Going to merge the tunnel system seal changes from Paimail tonight after I get home from work. After that, I will do some more tunnel support beam work, and post a video recording of it all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #1534
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    We have another community member "re-doing" the brushwork of the main areas of the map; as HighVoltage put it. We will merge the tunnel system changes into the aforementioned changed branch once it is ready.

Edited:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...zWoyTUKgc/edit

Edited:

After we merge the tunnel system, we will attempt to merge the 'new' skybox made by Stinger21.

Edited:

Btw, Stinger21 is the community member that helped us with the tunnel displacement sealing earlier today.

15. Post #1535
    May 2012
    112 Posts
    So many edits
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #1536
    November 2011
    58 Posts
    Suggestion time go!

I like water cuz i fetish :3
    Err. I would appreciate lights in there ; I'm not a design expert, but in the upper left and right corners long lights is something that would fit in there.
    (like the portal 2 glass lights/light strips)
    Meanwhile, it would be awesome to see if Garry would'ave updated the waters.
    (Not gonna request, I'm a lazy bum)

Also, what about the "Lamps" in the buildings?
    (these where there is no lamp model but there still is light emitting from the wall)

NOOO NOT THE RAINBOOOWS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 18Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #1537
    DefaultText.ini
    February 2011
    1,344 Posts

Edited:

Edited:

He should!

Edited:

Stop posting your opinions... The rating system does a fine job with opinions.

Yet again... we have ratings.

Of course if you want to get banned then continue (I have seen bans from this before.)

Also your name...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #1538

November 2008
    299 Posts
    I saw gm_contruct_13 on the workshop. Does that include everything? (A while back, you released like 8 maps of gm_construct_13, each one had a different thing.)

19. Post #1539

August 2011
    302 Posts
    I saw gm_contruct_13 on the workshop. Does that include everything? (A while back, you released like 8 maps of gm_construct_13, each one had a different thing.)
    Yeah it does. The beauty of the Steam workshop means that it automatically updates the map whenever an update is released
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #1540
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,825 Posts
    8 maps? I think your thinking of the .vmfs of different parts of the maps for people to edit and send back for a chance to be included in the actual map. They weren't actual playable maps, just sections of the uncompiled map.

Speaking of which, did any other people make edits for that and never posted them? Only a few people actually submitted their work and not many more posted about them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #1541
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    506 Posts
    I posted my edit but everyone hated it :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 9Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #1542
    August 2011
    34 Posts
    I posted my edit but everyone hated it :(
    It's OK Darth your doing a great job on Kickass
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #1543
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    4,492 Posts
    Wait till the morn and I might post the VMF's of my unfinished attempts that I posted a few screenshots of. Maybe they will help someone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

24. Post #1544
    March 2010
    427 Posts

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1707143/Rele...eday01_hdr.zip

You should use this skybox, it's really cheery and could improve the overall aesthetic of the map. Suggested light ent settings are included with the zip.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 16Agree Agree x 4 (list)

25. Post #1545
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,825 Posts

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1707143/Rele...eday01_hdr.zip

You should use this skybox, it's really cheery and could improve the overall aesthetic of the map. Suggested light ent settings are included with the zip.
    I'm doing a compile of the map with your skybox and lighting setting right now to see how it looks and because I have nothing better to do at 10:45 at night with school tomorrow morning

Edited:

Cancel that for now, its taking way longer then I would like and I need sleep.
    After I get home from school and before I have to leave again I'll start the compiler and hope it doesn't crash while I'm away.

26. Post #1546
    October 2009
    1,098 Posts

Sorry for being off-topic, but can I make use of that skybox as well for my own map?
    I'd rather ask first before using someone elses resources.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

27. Post #1547
    Always the vGuy.
    September 2011
    844 Posts
    I might ask the same.
    A friend of mine is working on a map for our gamemode.
    May he use this skybox too?

28. Post #1548
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    Sorry for being off-topic, but can I make use of that skybox as well for my own map?
    I'd rather ask first before using someone elses resources.
    His skyboxes (skyboxen?) can be found here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #1549
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,825 Posts
    So I finally got the map compiled, but it seems like HDR isn't compiling properly for me again.
    Here are some pictures anyways while I find someone to to a test compile for me.

And there seems to be a problem with the reflection or something:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #1550
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    And there seems to be a problem with the reflection or something:
    Compile with -final.

Make sure HDR compiling is actually enabled, and if you experience crashes it's almost certainly because of VRad being limited to 1.5GB of ram by default.

A fix, if you will: http://dl.legend286.co.uk/vrad_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE.exe

Just use that to compile instead, place it with the regular vrad and edit your advanced compile options accordingly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

31. Post #1551
    October 2008
    1,249 Posts
    Did you downscale the light maps? The picture combined with the crash looks like this.

32. Post #1552
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,825 Posts
    Apparently every surface in that part of the map had a light map scale of 4, when I originally only had the surfaces with the skylight light on them set to 4. I'm fixing that then doing a compile with Legends settings now.

Edited:

Cancel that again, Legends vrad crashed on me.
    Going to bed now anyways, will continue work tomorrow if I have time.

33. Post #1553
    October 2008
    1,249 Posts
    You will have to upscale them. You can split surfaces, so you can have a low scale light map where the shadows are casted, while you can have a high scaled one on evenly lit surfaces.

34. Post #1554
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    Apparently every surface in that part of the map had a light map scale of 4, when I originally only had the surfaces with the skylight light on them set to 4. I'm fixing that then doing a compile with Legends settings now.

Edited:

Cancel that again, Legends vrad crashed on me.
    Going to bed now anyways, will continue work tomorrow if I have time.
    Hmm, maybe Valve updated the SDK and broke it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

35. Post #1555
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    Hmm, maybe Valve updated the SDK and broke it.
    Wouldn't be the first time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

36. Post #1556
    June 2010
    81 Posts
    I love how it's turning out! Hope it keeps getting better but has anyone though that the clouds should be actually animated? If anyone has seen gm_flatgrass13 knows what I'm talking about but if you haven't... Try to find some videos about it because animated clouds would be epic.

37. Post #1557
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,825 Posts

This always brings a smile to my face
    Sorry guys but I have plans with my family tonight, my prom is tomorrow, I'm going to be hungover Saturday and I have more family plans Sunday. So I'm not going to have much time to work on the map until Monday.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 11Friendly Friendly x 3Informative Informative x 2 (list)

38. Post #1558
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    192 Posts

Sorry guys but I have plans with my family tonight, my prom is tomorrow, I'm going to be hungover Saturday and I have more family plans Sunday. So I'm not going to have much time to work on the map until Monday.
    Happy birthday man. Keep up the good work too!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

39. Post #1559
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    2,683 Posts
    Happy birthday :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

40. Post #1560
    January 2012
    216 Posts

lol my b-day was 3 days ago, but happy b-day!

Edit:

Im confused... how is this dumb? I was born May 28... and it was the 31st when I posted this...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)