It's READING TIME
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events

2. Post #882
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,263 Posts
    Heh:

Wikipedia posted:
    The atmosphere is so thick and the gravity so low that humans could fly through it by flapping "wings" attached to their arms.[28]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 11Winner Winner x 3 (list)

3. Post #883
    July 2007
    981 Posts
    What if we collect a bunch (like, millions of tons) asteroids in L4 and L5 for a really super huge scale mining operation.

SO MUCH DOSH
    The L4 and L5 points in the Jupiter-Sun system are where all of the cool space rocks hang out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #884
    September 2011
    733 Posts
    The atmosphere is so thick and the gravity so low that humans could fly through it by flapping "wings" attached to their arms.[28]
    That is fucking awesome holy shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

5. Post #885
    Movie quote goes here, because...
    Dennab
    October 2008
    8,076 Posts
    I remember when i was a kid and my dad was watching a documentary on space. I'd try my hardest to talk him into letting me stay up.
    It was a series of documentaries where they didn't waste time on filming the narrator or whatever. Just pure narrated, colourful, wondrous space. Today they're too busy filming motorbikes when talking of supernova's and it sucks hard.

Do any of you guys know documentaries with epic space shots?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #886
    May 2010
    3,684 Posts
    I remember when i was a kid and my dad was watching a documentary on space. I'd try my hardest to talk him into letting me stay up.
    It was a series of documentaries where they didn't waste time on filming the narrator or whatever. Just pure narrated, colourful, wondrous space. Today they're too busy filming motorbikes when talking of supernova's and it sucks hard.

The Cosmos is probably the best space documentary ever made.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #887
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,022 Posts

I just came across this one, Cosmic Journeys, on youtube. I've only seen two videos so far they're really good. An it doesn't show the narrator at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #888
    I just came across this one, Cosmic Journeys, on youtube. I've only seen two videos so far they're really good. An it doesn't show the narrator at all.
    This one was interesting, and taught me a couple things I didn't know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

9. Post #889
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,248 Posts
    Hmm I thinking about getting a new telescope this summer. The mirror of my old one is completely broken. I never wiped the condensed water from it after taking it back home from a cold night so it kinda "sunk" into the mirror.

Edited:

Before going searching everywhere, is there anyone you guys recommend? Budget is $300-$400
    Well this sucks. My working laptop broke... Guess the telescope will have to wait...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

10. Post #890
    Well this sucks. My working laptop broke... Guess the telescope will have to wait...
    Mine too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

11. Post #891
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    13,208 Posts
    Someone is sabotaging the Mods' laptops.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

12. Post #892
    Hey guys, I've invented my own satellite. I figured I could post it here in space thread since it's now in orbit.
    It sends electromagnetic beams down to any accurate point on Earth and ruins whatever electronics are there. It can even home in on IP addresses, I'm using it right now. Having some fun sabotaging people's laptops.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 5Funny Funny x 3 (list)

13. Post #893
    Star Extraordinaire
    May 2011
    4,484 Posts
    Hey guys, I've invented my own satellite. I figured I could post it here in space thread since it's now in orbit.
    It sends electromagnetic beams down to any accurate point on Earth and ruins whatever electronics are there. It can even home in on IP addresses, I'm using it right now. Having some fun sabotaging people's laptops.
    Fascinating. Who have you sabotaged so far?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #894
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,516 Posts
    Fascinating. Who have you sabotaged so far?
    Pentagon
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #895
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,269 Posts
    If we made a dome or something on the moon with an atmosphere we could do the same
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #896
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,022 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

17. Post #897
    May 2012
    316 Posts
    My main goal during my existence on this planet is to create an astronautical exploration firm.

And then open a coffee shop on the moon to contrast the local Domino's Pizza.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

18. Post #898
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,022 Posts
    I don't know how many of you track Copenhagen Suborbitals, but I do very closely. They are the ones that really got me into aerospace engineering. Here's what they've been up to recently:

Edited:

And this is their new big rocket engine:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

19. Post #899
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    CSO are the goons with rockets, right?

20. Post #900
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,248 Posts
    CSO are the goons with rockets, right?
    Not really. It just happened that one goon was working at CSO.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #901
    OvB
    March 2007
    13,208 Posts
    Yep.

Edited:

Not really. It just happened that one goon was working at CSO.
    People always seem to think that CSO is a sort of "SA Space Administration" when in reality it's just happens that some of the guys that work there are goons. It would be like if a NASA engineer happened to be a Facepunch member.

22. Post #902
    bye
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,109 Posts
    last time to see venus transit between us and the sun, june 5-6 2012

get yourself a solar filter if you haven't already, the next time they align is 2117, beyond our lifetime

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

23. Post #903
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,516 Posts

Oh so pretty
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6 (list)

24. Post #904
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,269 Posts
    [URL]

I'm Neil degraaaaaassss tyson
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #905
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,516 Posts
    Speaking of Neil.

Has there been any recent news of the Cosmos remake?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

26. Post #906
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events

27. Post #907
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,269 Posts

A nice Europa shot from Galileo in 1998
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

28. Post #908
    OvB
    March 2007
    13,208 Posts
    I looove Europa. We need to probe it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #909
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    6,734 Posts
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1181201

30. Post #910
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,854 Posts
    Thanks to people I can no longer take someone seriously when they say "We need to probe X!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #911
    OvB
    March 2007
    13,208 Posts
    That seems like a good start. Can't wait until we get into the ocean though. That's going to take a few years at least just to drill through it. Not to mention the potential for failures and break downs. I would absolutely love to be on the team that get's to look around at whats down there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

32. Post #912
    March 2012
    1,001 Posts

The close up on engine start is really pretty.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #913
    Star Extraordinaire
    May 2011
    4,484 Posts

A nice Europa shot from Galileo in 1998
    It's amazing how close it actually got, and that we can even send something out that far to take pictures for us.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

34. Post #914
    OvB
    March 2007
    13,208 Posts
    My college has an astronomy class. Apparently they meet up on the top floor of the parking lot and stargaze. Sounds fun as hell but it's pretty late. Around 6-7. Should I consider?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

35. Post #915
    March 2012
    1,001 Posts
    My college has an astronomy class. Apparently they meet up on the top floor of the parking lot and stargaze. Sounds fun as hell but it's pretty late. Around 6-7. Should I consider?
    Are you asking the Space thread if you should go stargaze?

Lol.

Edit:

But yes, you totally should, fun way to meet people with common interests (assuming you are interested in astronomy).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #916
    Star Extraordinaire
    May 2011
    4,484 Posts
    Definitely. Go and tell us how it went.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

37. Post #917
    OvB
    March 2007
    13,208 Posts
    Hmm, It's not showing up on the class seach anymore. I'll keep looking out for it.

38. Post #918
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,248 Posts
    That's quite early. The classes at Stockholm University are usually much later than that. But that probably because the sun sets to late here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

39. Post #919
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,516 Posts
    That's quite early. The classes at Stockholm University are usually much later than that. But that probably because the sun sets to late here.
    Here in Finland I can't see any stars anymore :(

It's like a constant dawn.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

40. Post #920
    March 2012
    1,001 Posts
    Here in Finland I can't see any stars anymore :(

It's like a constant dawn.
    Same here in Iceland, except constant day D:

I bought a new telescope and need to wait until August to use it, oh the fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events