1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,224 Posts
    Literally in the greatest condition I think a hospital could be found in. Not going to name drop, but all the day calendars were still set to the day the hospital closed, February 10, 1999. No graffiti, no damage, perfect condition. This is the only picture I took because I didn't have an actual camera but I am just too excited that this happened.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    9,818 Posts
    Abandoned buildings are kinda creepy, but exciting. Seeing the building in such good condition is a nice find. And it still seems to have power somewhat... after 12 years... wonder why it was abandoned.

QUICK. Find the elevator and go to the secret basement!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,224 Posts
    There was still power in the building, but a majority of the place was lacking lightbulbs, things like that. One of the reasons I didn't get to explore the full thing was because we heard the elevator ding on the floor we were on, so we had to haul ass down the south stairwell and out of an emergency exit. Pure adrenaline rush.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 18Funny Funny x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    9,818 Posts
    thats freaky as hell. Who would be powering and using an abandoned hospital?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    Say... There seems to be someone or something at the end of the hall there...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,224 Posts
    what do you mean?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Streetwise Angel Booksmart Devil
    January 2010
    3,030 Posts
    Hey, I live in Mass too! I've been looking for some places to urbex actually, as well.

Do you mind disclosing what city/town this is in?

8. Post #8
    $$$Good News Everyone!$$$
    January 2007
    4,616 Posts
    what do you mean?
    He's mistaking the two metal door panels and the 2 windows on the doors as an outline of a person. Glancing at it for a second it looks like someones shirt. :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Hello, my name is Penis. Please refer to me as such. I'm totally cool with it.
    November 2009
    4,706 Posts
    Is this near a law enforcement facility by any chance?

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,224 Posts
    I'll be honest, I didn't really pay attention to the surrounding area, but the place is on top of a hill and it's kinda hard to miss.

11. Post #11
    August 2011
    1,173 Posts
    Now If I heard a little girl moaning in there.......

I'll shit bricks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    721 Posts
    I wish you could have taken more pictures. I would have loved to see more of this place.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,534 Posts
    Looks like the hospital Rick wakes up in from the Walking Dead.

Go back in and take some more pictures if you can be assed, please. I'd like to see more of this hospital.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,224 Posts
    If and when I go again (hopefully sometime a little later this spring) I'll definitely bring an actual camera with me.

15. Post #15
    December 2009
    1,345 Posts
    Now If I heard a little girl moaning in there.......

I'll shit bricks
    or spring an erection
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 11Funny Funny x 3 (list)

16. Post #16
    May 2011
    256 Posts
    Do you know if the hospital still keeps any old equipment around? Nevertheless, it's interesting and I look forward to you taking some videos.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,224 Posts
    When we were in the basement, there were some things around in a few of the departments that were there. We were on our way out and were hustling to make sure we didn't get caught, and from my first glance they looked like ice-water baths, like in a mental hospital. I'm sure they weren't, but they were huge metal tubs with a nice interface on the side with gauges and things all over them.

18. Post #18
    October 2010
    4,765 Posts
    When we were in the basement, there were some things around in a few of the departments that were there. We were on our way out and were hustling to make sure we didn't get caught, and from my first glance they looked like ice-water baths, like in a mental hospital. I'm sure they weren't, but they were huge metal tubs with a nice interface on the side with gauges and things all over them.
    Sorry for being ignorant, but what are the ice-water baths in mental hospitals supposed to be used for?

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,224 Posts
    No worries, man. Ice-water baths were used to "wake up" the brain in mental patients. It was a very archaic and brutal way to take care of certain illnesses. I refuse to use the term "treat patients" because usually ice-water baths were given in conjunction with electroshock therapy, and both of them do NOTHING to help the person.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    October 2010
    4,765 Posts
    No worries, man. Ice-water baths were used to "wake up" the brain in mental patients. It was a very archaic and brutal way to take care of certain illnesses. I refuse to use the term "treat patients" because usually ice-water baths were given in conjunction with electroshock therapy, and both of them do NOTHING to help the person.
    Is it still in use anymore or has it been replaced by more humane procedures?

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,224 Posts
    Oh it's been replaced for years and years now. The last place I know of in operating condition to still use cold-water baths was Danvers State in Massachusetts, and that closed in 1994. And even then, I'm presuming they got rid of their ice-water treatment program long before they closed. They kept the tubs around (apparent in many popular pictures of Danver) for scrap metal.

Mental health is much more of an exact science now than it ever was before. This isn't to say that psychology or anything like that is an exact science, far from it, but the technology we have now has vastly changed the mental health area of medicine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,534 Posts
    Can you go back in and take more pictures?

To be honest what you described up there surprises me none. Doctors were literally allowed to be assholes, one had the balls to say someone we knew was ready to be put down because he had brain damage after a near fatal car crash (his parents died in the same crash).

23. Post #23
    December 2011
    139 Posts
    One photo is not a report from this place!

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,224 Posts
    One photo is not a report from this place!
    I didn't say this was a report, cumguzzler.

Edited:

:~)

25. Post #25
    January 2012
    359 Posts
    There was still power in the building, but a majority of the place was lacking lightbulbs, things like that. One of the reasons I didn't get to explore the full thing was because we heard the elevator ding on the floor we were on, so we had to haul ass down the south stairwell and out of an emergency exit. Pure adrenaline rush.
    CLOSE CALL! I wonder who/what it was?

Danvers is super creepy! And yes, doctors back then were extremely abusive to the mentally ill. If a patient talked too much or was just generally annoying to the staff, they'd rip all their teeth out, just as an example of what I've read about a hospital around here. It's really sad how common this was all within the last 100 years. It only gets worse the further back in history you go!

26. Post #26
    January 2012
    359 Posts

I'm pretty sure this is the hospital you went to.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,224 Posts
    nope, sorry.

28. Post #28
    January 2012
    359 Posts
    oh okay. weird, well there is another massachusetts hospital that appears to have electricity as well.

Very similar, but I guess all hospital hallways pretty much look the same.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,224 Posts
    teeny tiny picture but this is it

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

30. Post #30
    I was nice to a hobo once and he bought me this title
    May 2010
    5,920 Posts
    Those long hospital hallways are fucking terrifying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,224 Posts
    my favorite part of the hospital to be honest, i love the long sweeping look of abandoned hospitals
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    Ask Me About my Castlevania fetish.
    February 2012
    514 Posts
    It truly is fun exploring abandoned buildings. Really nice find, seems fun!

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,224 Posts
    Updating this thread a little, I went back to this place a couple weeks ago. In the meantime between trips, the land was bought by a planning organization who have now put it up for sale to any prospective apartment complex builders. That being said, there are construction crews everywhere and all entrances have been tightly locked up. The way I got in the last time was by inching my way around a ledge and climbing down the fire escape into a ditch, where there was an emergency exit door leading into the basement/first floor area. I successfully made it onto the fire escape again without falling, but the door at the bottom was locked.

I tried every other entrance that I could think of, but to no avail. It appears that my trip may have been the last to this place. With that said, I think I can safely say that it was the New England Memorial Hospital/Boston Regional Medical Center without fear that vandals will see this and ruin it.

Edited:

Fun Fact: The tubs I saw in the basement on the first trip actually were hydrotherapy tubs. Before becoming a full-blown inpatient hospital, it was known as the New England Sanitarium.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,017 Posts
    Man, I would really like to Urbex in an abandoned hospital/sanitaruim. Looks really cool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)