1. Post #441
    April 2007
    818 Posts
    Oh and add to the list of bugs Danta don't know if it's fixable but ghosts can interfere with the placing of blocks for players that's how people keep getting "lag" and blocks being removed after placement
    Darksoul is incorrect, spectators can infact interfere with your block placement. There is NOTHING that I can do about this unless I somehow get access to the minecraft source code, which I doubt. :)
    Your client does not know that there is a person where you try to place a block and therefore it has no problems placing one there. The server, however, knows that there is a person and therefore cancels the blockplacement event because you can't place blocks on players. Your client receives this and 'removes' the block.
    So this is entirely a minecraft server protocol feature and I don't see any ways that I can fix this.

To avoid confusion, I think we should call things like Jungle and Vulcano arenas, and call actual Minecraft maps, well... maps. To further avoid confusion, maps are not worlds. Worlds are a Bukkit thing.

Plugin suggestions:
    -A command to make a new world without teleporting all players to it, and a way to manually teleport all players to a certain world, so that GMs can work on the arena without the players being in the same world.
    -A command to save the map of a certain world, and a command to load that map later, so we can save various cornucopias and arenas.
    -Switching between various maps(basically choosing between multiple seeding worlds) so we can use maps that players make and suggest.
    -Let players vote for new GMs, or for existing GMs to GM the next match, and maybe even a way for them to rate the GMing of a match.
    -Making a certain dead player a GM without having to respawn them, so they don't appear in the playerlist.
    -Death messages that way who or what killed a player.
    -General usability, I'm sure you're working on this.

Suggested Plugins
    -WorldGaurd, to turn off fire spread. A way to only have it on for certain maps would be cool, but I think WorldGuard uses a config file.
    -Essentials, for various GM tools and maybe some for players and spectators.
    -Some anti-xray would be nice. It's really easy to tell if someone is using it, but kind of a pain.
    -One to change the whitelist message, I think these exist. Or you could write it yourself, idk.

Bugs
    -Manually starting tends to mess up Vanish somehow, with some players becoming vanished. A way for GMs to vanish and vanish check other players would be ideal, I'm not sure how feasible that is.
    Thanks Danta, this is exactly what I need to keep on improving the plugin / server generally. Well explained ideas and feature requests are always welcome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #442
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    2,987 Posts
    D:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #443
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    6,791 Posts
    Okay, map update.

Started out with a basic survival island map which consisted of one large island and a few smaller ones. I surrounded the portion of the map I wanted to use in a glass dome.
    Heres some of the things that I added to the map.

Geography
    The map was pretty much made of just plains and lakes when I got a hold of it, so I used WorldEdit to add a few geographical features to make things more interesting.

Arches

Cliffs

I came up with the idea of hanging vines over some of the cliffs to act as ladders up to the next level.

Ruins:
    Throughout this map there are a few ruins, some are of broken homes and others are of large bridges and castles.

The Cornucopia:

In this map the cornucopia is surrounded on all sides by thick forests that thin out into other geography. These forests are very dense so it could make it very hard to escape someone while running away but at the same time makes it easier for those who run away early enough to lose anyone who may try to follow them.

The Beacon:
    Above the Cornucopia floats a large glowstone sphere, this sphere can be seen from far away as a way of letting tributes know where the cornucopia is at all times.

Map Overview

As you can see the map is basically made up of one large island and a few smaller ones. The large island consists of a very thick forrest in the center that eventually thins out to reveal cliffs, ruins and lakes. Its a pretty large map as far as I can tell. I'm hoping to be done with it soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Winner Winner x 9 (list)

4. Post #444
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    3,004 Posts
    I just love it when GMs kill the players for no reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #445
    March 2012
    1,368 Posts
    Took some screenshots of Vulcano.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

6. Post #446
    June 2010
    455 Posts
    Wow, that map is looking great.

Also, I figured out that Spout can play custom sounds, so players with the Spout client could hear a boom when someone dies. The mockingjay song should play sometimes too :V

Will we have to start over from scratch when the modding API hits? If it's anything like hey0 -> bukkit, servers will be scrambling to get anti-grief and such working.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

7. Post #447
    June 2010
    2,703 Posts
    I don't think so, because the bukkit team are the ones making the server API afaik

8. Post #448
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    6,791 Posts
    Wow, that map is looking great.

Also, I figured out that Spout can play custom sounds, so players with the Spout client could hear a boom when someone dies. The mockingjay song should play sometimes too :V

Will we have to start over from scratch when the modding API hits? If it's anything like hey0 -> bukkit, servers will be scrambling to get anti-grief and such working.
    I can probably sample those sounds for you guys. Also a custom UI would be nice, I could design one if we get to that phase. Also any last ideas before I finish up this map?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #449
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,688 Posts
    Suggestion:
    Make a more movie-esque looking cornucopia: Like this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

10. Post #450
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    6,791 Posts
    Suggestion:
    Make a more movie-esque looking cornucopia: Like this
    Problem is, thats very angular which is difficult to make in MC
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

11. Post #451
    April 2010
    2,396 Posts
    Problem is, thats very angular which is difficult to make in MC
    That and it seems to favor players who start near the entrance, so two suggestions to balance the idea, A. Make platforms behind it closer to it
    B. Make the starting platforms in a parabola in front of the entrance.

12. Post #452
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,688 Posts
    We need an admin/GM on. They seem to all be dicking around and we want to start a round.

Edited:
    Fuck. Everyone left.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #453
    October 2009
    291 Posts
    Well the game was running just fine up until that last game ended.

Then no one would start a game up. I waited for like half an hour. D;

I JUST WANNA MURDER MY FRIENDS

14. Post #454
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,688 Posts
    I've been waiting all day, on multiple servers, not a single chance to get into one of the games. Kinda pissing me off.

15. Post #455
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    6,791 Posts
    Beta Map, should be good to use for a game, I'm calling it beta because there could be some problems I don't know about, whatever. Feel free to test this out with a few games. If you do, please let me know about any issues with the map.

Download Here
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #456
    June 2010
    455 Posts
    I'm uploading that map. Im not sure what the plugin would do if I tried to run it, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #457
    April 2007
    818 Posts
    Plugin would have to be mostly rewritten, yeah. I'm kinda hoping Bukkit keeps they way their API works currently. It's a very decent API and it works pretty much flawlessly with the exception of a few glitches here and there..
    I'm also REALLY hoping that they add a client <-> server API. That would make things so sweet since we can start altering the client without people manually installing a plugin then.

I'm uploading that map. Im not sure what the plugin would do if I tried to run it, though.
    If you change the seedingworld to that world and remove all the world0, world1 - worldn folders, it should work just like the old one. Just remember that you can't use the old arenas then.

18. Post #458
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    6,791 Posts
    Hey guys, not to complain but I think we may have a bit of an xray problem. Either that or people are somehow able to find 10+ diamonds in less than 2 days really easily.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #459
    April 2007
    1,982 Posts
    Hey guys, not to complain but I think we may have a bit of an xray problem. Either that or people are somehow able to find 10+ diamonds in less than 2 days really easily.
    Same map over and over = people know where the stuff already is. Whenever I start a match I get 16 logs, stone tools, food and then start digging straight down for iron. Then I head into caves I know that there's diamonds in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #460
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    6,791 Posts
    Same map over and over = people know where the stuff already is. Whenever I start a match I get 16 logs, stone tools, food and then start digging straight down for iron. Then I head into caves I know that there's diamonds in.
    That kind've takes the fun out of it.

21. Post #461
    April 2007
    1,982 Posts
    That kind've takes the fun out of it.
    Which is why they should use random maps and don't tell anybody what's the name so people can't look it up before a match and find all the diamonds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

22. Post #462
    April 2011
    124 Posts
    Okay, I feel intrested in hosting my own hunger games server with a couple of friends, but Iam pretty clueless on how to do it. What plugins do you need for example?

23. Post #463
    April 2007
    818 Posts
    Which is why they should use random maps and don't tell anybody what's the name so people can't look it up before a match and find all the diamonds.
    There is no way to use random generated maps to properly do this. Not other than the GMs creating a new random world then setting up spawn points for that particular world. They would have to do this, every, single, time.
    But if that's what people wants, sure.

24. Post #464
    May 2011
    990 Posts
    Well, it seems the server is COMPLETELY broken. I think theres no GM's, some people are invisible, and its just chaos
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #465
    October 2009
    291 Posts
    Well, it seems the server is COMPLETELY broken. I think theres no GM's, some people are invisible, and its just chaos
    That might explain why no one was attacking me back. Well now I feel shitty.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

26. Post #466
    June 2010
    2,703 Posts
    There is no way to use random generated maps to properly do this. Not other than the GMs creating a new random world then setting up spawn points for that particular world. They would have to do this, every, single, time.
    If there were a lot of maps it'd be a lot harder for people to remember it.

Edited:

Waterko can GM, if people get on we can do a game.

27. Post #467
    April 2007
    1,982 Posts
    No, I mean like picking a map from the MCF or having one created by someone here on FP, setting up the spawn points and then just starting the game without mentioning the name of the map or the fact that we're switching maps at all.

But this is just nitpicking on johnlmonkey's post, so what if people get diamond stuff really quickly? It really makes for some intense gameplay, do everything quickly to get them before anyone else can and have a massive advantage. Besides, people get inpatient after spectating for just 30 minutes so I doubt they'd want to sit through 50 episodes worth of Minecraft videos for someone to finally get diamond and go look for everybody else.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #468
    June 2010
    2,703 Posts
    I don't really see the problem in people knowing where the diamond is, because chances are most people will know where diamond is, and it'll only be unfair for the few that don't. And that just makes it fun to watch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #469
    Click here for instant Gumby.
    November 2010
    4,442 Posts
    Here's the problem. If people know where the diamond is, they get the diamond, they get a huge advantage, and win, much quicker than would normally happen. But if they're beaten before they get diamond themselves, then they never learn, spiral of defeat happens, it's the same people winning over and over again.

30. Post #470
    June 2010
    2,703 Posts
    If everyone knows where diamond is, nobody gets an advantage, really.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #471
    November 2010
    4,442 Posts
    Yes, but that's the problem I'm trying to get at here. Not everyone knows where it is. And I aint gonna start cheating just because other people are, and I aint gonna remember where the diamond is either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #472
    June 2010
    455 Posts
    A new map has been made. A game will start as soon as there is enough players, so join now.

I suggest a way for the plugin to generate a random world, then generate random spawnpoints throughout it. Just as an option, we could still use custom maps.

33. Post #473
    May 2011
    990 Posts
    Come on guys, everyone suddenly left and its just me and two GM's :L, join people!
    Edit: welp, now its just me and waterko i think

34. Post #474
    July 2007
    250 Posts
    I have been playing the past couple days. This is the only reason I want to play minecraft.
    Also I'm not on the whitelist so I can't play right now... =(

35. Post #475
    June 2010
    2,703 Posts
    The whitelist is used to shut the server down when there is not enough players for a game, usually when it is late for most people. That way GMs that don't have access to the server website can open and close it for matches. It is also used for a minute or two during the setup of a match, and sometimes longer while the GMs create a new map. It is not used like whitelists are normally used. Cap, if you read this, you should probably make it more prominent in the OP because I keep getting PMed and Steam messaged about it.

I'm not sure which case it is now, but you don't have to be whitelisted to play on the server.

36. Post #476
    November 2010
    4,442 Posts
    Come on guys, everyone suddenly left and its just me and two GM's :L, join people!
    Edit: welp, now its just me and waterko i think
    I dunno about joining man, I kinda like the sound of one man fighting 2 GMs, would be pretty interesting to see if you can do it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

37. Post #477
    I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too hard to just randomly generate ores at the start of each new "round".

That way they wouldn't have to be present in the map, making a plugin for something like it wouldn't be that hard.

You disagree matty? Ramalayha has considered making new ores for the nether for my server, whats with your scepticism
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

38. Post #478
    April 2007
    818 Posts
    I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too hard to just randomly generate ores at the start of each new "round".

That way they wouldn't have to be present in the map, making a plugin for something like it wouldn't be that hard.

You disagree matty? Ramalayha has considered making new ores for the nether for my server, whats with your scepticism
    That's a way better solution. The only thing coming into mind is if there's a cave and such in the terrain.. These things aren't in the nether which is probably why he wants to do it only for the nether. :)

39. Post #479
    May 2011
    990 Posts
    Come people, we have 2 GM's and we can play, we just need people!

Edited:

Another game is gonna start, there was only 6 in the first game, Come join!

Edited:

Guys, there's still major bugs still happening on the server. People are STILL invisible, some GM is giving TONS of xp to Toqq and even giving him a full enchanting room with the bookcases. What the hell happened to the server?

Also, it might be Paradox giving Toqq these things

40. Post #480
    April 2007
    818 Posts
    Come people, we have 2 GM's and we can play, we just need people!

Edited:

Another game is gonna start, there was only 6 in the first game, Come join!

Edited:

Guys, there's still major bugs still happening on the server. People are STILL invisible, some GM is giving TONS of xp to Toqq and even giving him a full enchanting room with the bookcases. What the hell happened to the server?

Also, it might be Paradox giving Toqq these things

There really shouldn't be any problems with my plugin making people invis. It should automatically remove the invis once the GM resets the game. I've been completely unable to replicate this on my own too.
    In case you find an 'invis' player, could you make them type /vanish check? I'm not sure if they have the permission, but I can't really think of anything that would result in that behaviour...
    There is actually ONE thing it could be and that is if people are teleported too far away from where they were. Back when we were manually placing players, we would have to assume they were teleported into the right place because we simply couldn't see them. The GM would have to reconnect to see the player. In case you can figure out someone is invis BEFORE they kill you. Would you mind trying to reconnect and see if they become visible then?