1. Post #1
    August 2011
    9 Posts

Hypovolemia is a total conversion mod for alien swarm.

Hypovolemia 0.1 Alpha has been released.
    http://hypovolemia-mod.net/?page=files

Hyp August News Update
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/hypovolemi...-update-852012

Weapons:
    We have over thirty weapons ready for our first release. Please visit our wiki page for a complete list of all weapons.
    The weaponry handles similar to counter-strike ( hitlocations, movement spread, bullet drop, recoil, wall penetration etc ) while the gameplay requires intense strafing commonly found in games such quake 3.
    There will be many more weapons added in the future releases.

Gore:
    One of our main goals is to achieve the brutality found in the "brutal doom" mod. We have a incapacitation system which requires you to be ruthless and execute disabled ( incapacitated ) enemies with extreme prejudice. However, note that people don't always become disabled i.e .338 bullet to the head is instant death.
    There is a gibbing system at the moment ( entire body obliteration ) but many improvements will come in the future releases such as exploding heads and limb dismemberment. From our play tests we have determined that Hyp will truly bring out the worst in people since there is many cruel ways to desecrate bodies while the other players must watch from their death cams. In the future release we plan to add the ability to pickup disabled/dead bodies and be able to carry and throw them. This will allow for awesome executions such as throwing people under elevators and then calling it down, the possibilities are endless!

Gameplay Modes:
    On the first release we are heavily focusing on the gameplay modes DEATHMATCH, TEAM DEATMATCH, ELIMINATION and INSTA-GIB with railguns.
    The second release will focus on COOP and SCENARIO gameplay. For COOP there will be a small campaign ( and additional content in later releases ) which will involve killing zombies in the revelation of Hyp's story. SCENARIO will be a unique team-based objective-oriented gameplay mode. The spawning will be in waves similar to Day of Defeat and there will be money system for buying equipment. Each map will have several "nano assemblers" spread out which act as buyzones. Every nano assembler will have a limited quantity and supply of items it can produce and each station will provide different equipment. In example you will have access to prototype weapons ( railguns / microwave / laser / DU flechette launchers / particle shields ) if the nano assembler is inside a science lab area.

Robust Fading System:
    Line of sight is calculated to determine whether or not each area of the map should be revealed per client.
    Also crouching near tables and counters will fade them transparent allowing you to pickup whatever is hidden under them.

Skill Based Scoring:
    Our scoring system is very deliberate in rewarding players that are more skilled.
    One kill is worth 10 points. Each player spawns with x10 multipliers and gains +1 multiplier per kill. Your multiplier count gets reset if you die.
    In Example:
    10 x10 = 100 ( starting kill )
    10 x11 = 110
    10 x12 = 120
    10 x13 = 130 and so on.
    Also crippling somebody is worth 5 points and executing them another 5.
    Overall this rewards players with better kill death ratios.

Global Ranking:

There's a unique ranking system that tracks stats per steam id and rewards you for being a skilled player.
    The ranking system is unique and designed to avoid "grinding" we reenforce this with the addition of "RSP" aka rank skill points which will calculates the difference between the ranks of two players and award points accordingly. You get more points for killing players ranked higher than you, less points for killing players ranking lower than you.
    Future? There will be individual stat pages for each player per steam id and you will be able to view your stats for each weapon.

Spawn Protection:
    Each spawn point has a radius and if an enemy is inside this radius the game will not spawn you there. This prevents spawn killing like commonly found in games such as COD or Quake Live.

Weight System:
    You can carry as many weapons and items as you want! As long as they don't hit your 20kg weight limit. If you carry over 15kg your character will run slower. Heavier weapons have "encumbrance" which means that if you flick your mouse really fast it will take longer to zero in on this weapon than something that is lightweight.
    Since our weight system uses decimals so we can measure grams. We plan to weigh the ammo ( magazines and cartridges separately ). You're probably thinking "well things like 5.56x45mm and 9x19mm cartridges are probably not heavy and wont make a drastic difference". While that's true.. carrying 40mm grenades or several fully loaded magazines with 7.6251mm or couple of heavy radioactive railgun slugs or rpg7 rockets is gonna make a big difference and will play into your consideration when forming your loadout. Basically no matter what gun you're firing you will see at least your weight decreasing in grams.

Kill Stats:
    For those of you that play Counter-Strike: Source you will feel right at home.
    By dropping the console after getting a kill or being killed you will be able to see how many hits and damage you did/received.
    Also note that our health system has 2 decimal places which makes the weapon damage more precise and allows for ridiculous things such as 13.37hp possible.

Weapon handling:
    There is no auto reloads in Hyp, you must handle these weapons like a man. We have a chambering system which requires you to press the F key to cock your weapons. Rifles such as the AKM will require you to press and hold the F key to pull the and release the bolt carrier. Shotguns have pumping, sniper rifles have operating of the rotating bolt, double barrel shotguns and grenade launchers such as the m32 or m79 will have break-action ( F to open/close R to load fresh 40x46mm grenades ).

Drivable Multi-Passenger Vehicles:
    The humvee vehicle has 4 seats and one 1 gunner position. You can fire your weapon from inside the vehicle and use the Z and X key to change your position in the vehicle.

M2 Browning heavy machine gun for the gunner position.

In the future we will have alternate weapons for the humvee such as a huge mounted railgun.
    We already have some base code for a tank vehicle, so we might end up having a tank in the future.

Original Soundtrack:
    Hypovolemia has excellent heavy metal music that is written and produced by Brandon "bXmusic" McKagan.

Have a listen to the Hyp theme song http://www.moddb.com/mods/hypovolemi...mia-theme-song
    It has a very ominous sound to it which is a little bit inspired by the theme from 28 Days Later.

Another song: http://www.moddb.com/mods/hypovolemi...ypovolemia-ost
    If you enjoy this type of music feel free to download the rest of the Hypovolemia soundtracks http://hypovolemia-mod.net/downloads/HypovolemiaOST.zip

Future plans:

- A second "Scientist" class ( might rename that later ) but players playing the scientist class will have a combat biosuit which will make them immune to biological agents. Scientists will be main users of biological weapons, ( and prototype weapons ) they will have anthrax bombs, VX nerve gas canisters and CR gas grenades ( to list a few ).

The soldier class will have to purchase gas masks from the nano assembler to get basic protection from CR gas.

- Unique leveling system that doesn't unbalance the game and doesn't require grinding.

- Modular Inventory system
    You will be able to attach magazine pouches / grenade pouches to your MOLLE to increase inventory space.

Last two things are somewhat inspired by the games System Shock 2, Deus Ex 1 and Stalker.

There are many more finished features I haven't mentioned in this thread but I'm saving that for another time.
    I have a lot of plans for this project and it will take multiple releases for it to be fully realized. S

Support us by following on moddb and upvoting our Steam green light !!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 68Funny Funny x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Ike
    April 2011
    287 Posts
    Looks pretty nice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

3. Post #3
    February 2009
    693 Posts
    Very, very nice. Finally a mod thread with content.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

4. Post #4
    March 2011
    1,556 Posts
    Wow
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    This seriously looks good. It's something like Soldat, except 3D.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,062 Posts
    Looks pretty good, I'll play it as soon as it gets released. I love that kind of game.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,595 Posts
    finally, a game with manual reloading, always wanted to play a mod/game that had that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

8. Post #8
    September 2011
    687 Posts
    I haven't seen a good Alien Swarm mod in a while. I always thought some mod could use the top down perspective.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    5,321 Posts
    Did you name it hypovolemia because of the blood of the maps?

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,555 Posts
    Reminds me of some old classic shooters on the PC.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Greece Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    2,552 Posts
    Looks amazing, I hope this gets the attention it deserves when it launches.

12. Post #12
    September 2010
    562 Posts
    Wow! Nice work!

13. Post #13
    August 2011
    9 Posts
    Reminds me of some old classic shooters on the PC.
    Well I did grow up playing dos games. I think a lot of those classics can still stomp on modern games when it comes to gameplay.

14. Post #14
    Facepunch Staff
    March 2010
    2,566 Posts
    Looks decent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    November 2011
    4,754 Posts
    Can't wait to try this.

16. Post #16
    I pleasure myself while wearing Combine armour~~
    May 2010
    7,969 Posts
    The biochemical suit helmet looks like its based off from Blacklight's.

I'll play the mod the moment it comes out.

17. Post #17
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    7,158 Posts
    Wow, this looks pretty awesome. Can't wait for a release.

18. Post #18

January 2012
    3 Posts
    Glad to hear everyone's interested! I'll be looking forward to playing with all of you guys (and probably failing a lot...)! ;)

19. Post #19
    August 2011
    9 Posts
    Some recent changes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

20. Post #20
    October 2009
    1,095 Posts
    That's impressive.

Looking forward to seeing more from this mod.

21. Post #21
    ONION
    April 2005
    1,630 Posts
    Looking really damn cool
    (Also is that GSY!BE in the vehicle video?)

22. Post #22

January 2012
    3 Posts
    Hooray! Hypovolemia 0.1 Alpha is out the door and available for download!

http://hypovolemia-mod.net/?page=files
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    August 2010
    6,177 Posts
    This looks awesome, definitely going to try this out later.
    Hope there will be some people online!

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    5,309 Posts
    Wow this look really well done! I hope it will gain alot of popularity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,062 Posts
    -snip-

Just understood what was happening..

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    2,202 Posts
    I like what i see. I'm gonna try this for sure.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,962 Posts
    Just played this mod with the developer for a few minutes and it is amazing
    Download it without thinking
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,106 Posts
    This is amazing, it definitely needs more publicity.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    15,794 Posts
    This mod is pretty good, but having to press F twice after every shotgun shot to pump the thing is just a really dumb mechanic. It makes shotguns really difficult to use in actual firefights.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,962 Posts
    This mod is pretty good, but having to press F twice after every shotgun shot to pump the thing is just a really dumb mechanic. It makes shotguns really difficult to use in actual firefights.
    Manual reloading is kind of the core feature of the mod

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    15,794 Posts
    Manual reloading is kind of the core feature of the mod
    If it's the core feature it shouldn't be on only 1 weapon. Every other gun is used just like in any other shooter, so they should either go full hardcore and have every gun have like a 3 button reload or have them all handle like in a regular shooter, making it so only a small part of it is hardcore like that is dumb and makes it seem awfuly out of place with everything else.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    August 2010
    6,177 Posts
    this mod is amazing and fun and good and you should all play it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    August 2011
    9 Posts
    If it's the core feature it shouldn't be on only 1 weapon. Every other gun is used just like in any other shooter, so they should either go full hardcore and have every gun have like a 3 button reload or have them all handle like in a regular shooter, making it so only a small part of it is hardcore like that is dumb and makes it seem awfuly out of place with everything else.
    Well its not currently just one weapon, its all the shotguns.
    mossberg 590a1 / ksg / spas12 and saiga12 which has a different cocking method.

Rifles and handguns will be getting their own cocking, we just haven't done it yet.

34. Post #34
    July 2010
    3,882 Posts
    I really want to play this, are there some full servers?

35. Post #35

January 2012
    3 Posts
    I really want to play this, are there some full servers?
    At the moment no one is playing; this is due to a large amount of game-breaking bugs we discovered shortly after release (things like the lag from ragdolls/jeeps making the game unplayable, not being able to spawn on smaller maps... etc).

We are planning to/have already fixed the following issues for v0.1.1:

(WTF no way to make a bulleted list???)

* Humvee lag and gunner look/shoot angles
    * Ragdoll lag/collisions (getting stuck in ragdolls)
    * Not being able to spawn on small maps
    * Hypovolemia config overwriting Alien Swarm config
    * Knife sounds occuring when you never actually hit the player
    * Added Orange Box modeled bullet casings
    * Modified FOV zoom to only activate while mouse is in the top 40% of the screen, increasing marine visibility
    * Dampened hgibs
    * Auto-updating downloader
    * Added hints for how to open the lobby for new players
    * Fixed ragdoll arms going through torso

The list goes on.

Happy gibbing!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,460 Posts
    Played this with a couple of friends, SO MUCH FUN! This mod deserves more attention
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Indonesia Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    3,911 Posts
    I really don't like that this is an executable file. I just want the files themselves to throw in the right Steam folder. Is there a reason why this is an .exe file?

38. Post #38
    October 2009
    207 Posts
    Hypovolemia:The realistic exploding corpse simulator
    On the other hand,This mod does really need more attention because it's awesome.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,460 Posts
    Hey devs, problem, when I host 1 vs 1 matches the game goes very smoothly but whenever another player joins they instantly lag badly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Indonesia Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    August 2011
    9 Posts
    Hey devs, problem, when I host 1 vs 1 matches the game goes very smoothly but whenever another player joins they instantly lag badly.
    Maybe you don't have enough upload? Well either way the networking has been cleaned up for 0.1.1, all the biggest lag problems have been squashed. We are releasing 0.1.1 soon, please let me know if your problem persists after that.