1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,206 Posts
    Hey guys, I really want to get a Kawasaki Ninja 250r, nothing too powerful, just something to get me from A to B in the summertime. The only obstacle is my parents. I'm going to talk to them about it in depth probably next weekend and give them a few reasons as to why I should get one. Their biggest concern is safety. But here are some of the reasons I've come up with.

-Economy. With gas approaching $4.00/gal where I live, it is getting unreasonable to keep driving my '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It gets 15 mpg, where the Ninja gets around 61. It's be around $80 to fill the jeep and about $20 to fill the bike. Supposing I work a minimum wage job, it would take 11.1 hours to have the money to fill the Jeep, only 2.6 hours to fill the bike.

-My sister just got her driver's license, so it would be much more practical to let her drive the battle tank of a Jeep, because she is the worst driver on the planet. In addition, a bike would be cheaper than another car.

-Safety. I know that riding a motorcycle is less safe than a car, this is a fact I can't refute. However, this can be avoided. The main reason for automobile accidents is inattentiveness. Cars have comfy seats and radios and passengers and whatnot, where a bike does not. Studies have shown that a bike increases cognitive function, so bike riders are more aware of their surroundings than the average person in a car. This also poses the problem of a car hitting a bike rider, but riding on the left side of the lane (in the US) can help to avoid these drivers. I've read the safety booklet for my states DMV cover to cover a few times, I've got much of the safety strategies memorized.

-I will also make compromises with them. No driving in the dark or on freeways until I a more experienced.

-Bike insurance is cheaper than car insurance.

-For my situation, a bike is much more practical than a car. I will be taking summer classes in the summer (sophomore in college), and I will be an RA for my dorm hall next fall and winter. This means that over the summer, I will be driving a lot to class, and a bike would be much more economical. Also, being an RA means that I am not allowed to leave the dorms too often in the winter, so driving in the snow won't be a problem. This will probably be the case throughout my college career.

This is all that I can think of off the top of my head right now. Is there anything else I should say? Also, has anyone else had to convince their parents? Success or failure?

Please, don't bring up that since I'm living alone in college I am able to just go get one anyway. I respect my parents and their decisions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5 (list)

2. Post #2
    black people
    April 2008
    3,918 Posts
    I was also wanting to get a ninja 250r but I heard the cbr 250r is better for local drives, and other things while the ninja 250r is better for highway runs.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    6,638 Posts
    Ok, here's my 2 cents.

Economy: Nothing to argue about here. Small displacement engines are pretty good with using what they're given. However, depending on what your commute it, you might not be getting 65 mpg. If you're on the highway a lot on a 250, you'll be averaging a little lower due to the fact that the engine is going to be revving a bit more and isn't geared for speeds above 75 that much.

Safety: You seem to have what you, as a biker, should be doing down, but what you need to realize is most drivers aren't paying attention at all. What if a car pulls out in front of you and you don't have anywhere to go? That's not your fault but next thing you know you're in the hospital with a shattered ribcage and a torn vertebrae.

Also, almost 50% of motorcycle fatalities are single vehicle accidents. You know, someone being stupid, going around a turn too fast for their skill level, etc..

To be honest, take the MSF BRC before you do anything. It will let you know if riding is for you, and if you pass, it usually will waive at least one test at the DMV. Then, if you liked it, look into different bikes. You might like a 250 right now, but also consider a 500 or even a 650 twin of some kinda. All of those will give you good gas mileage but the latter two will be a bit quicker, which will be helpful if you're going to be riding on any long highway treks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    5,560 Posts
    Safety: You seem to have what you, as a biker, should be doing down, but what you need to realize is most drivers aren't paying attention at all. What if a car pulls out in front of you and you don't have anywhere to go? That's not your fault but next thing you know you're in the hospital with a shattered ribcage and a torn vertebrae.
    Isn't it an unwritten rule that you need to expect everyone trying to kill you when riding a bike?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

5. Post #5
    July 2008
    596 Posts
    Isn't it an unwritten rule that you need to expect everyone trying to kill you when riding a bike?
    To be fair, some bikers do drive like dickheads
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    Brutally murder your parents.

It's the only way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    November 2010
    872 Posts
    Some 250s get in the 70-90mpg range. Depending on how you ride.
    And from the reserve it will probably only take 2 gallons of gas for 100-150 miles.

Safety
    Helmet 70-100
    Jacket 100-200
    Pants eithe blue jeans or bike pants 50-150
    Gloves 30-60
    Boots 60-150

Tires last 4000-10000 miles. About 100-150 each.
    Insurance depends. Check geico out first. Free quote. I have has quotes from 8 bucks to 160 a month.
    U have to drive like everyone is trying to run u over.
    If u work buy it yourself. Be careful with financing do not do a balloon rate.
    They can't say too much if u do everything yourself. I vote buy used if you can and pay it all off. Save up for it.

I am to the point when it is above freezing I am on the bike.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,420 Posts
    More like no-one knows the rules. Only red pickups try to kill you

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    778 Posts
    - Everybody is out to get you.
    - Nobody can see you.
    - Never assume someone will do the what they should.
    - Don't ride like an idiot.

As for your parents: idklol. My parents (Read: Mum) were worried but understood that it was my choice.

Good luck and stay shiny-side up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    9,191 Posts
    As everyone has said expect every other driver to be out to kill/maim you. If you want to ride a bike just don't get cocky and be a cautious/defensive rider.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    6,638 Posts
    Yeah, about the parents: hopefully they're understanding. I had expressed interest in a bike but my parents both said don't do it (note, they didn't say no), but when I found the deal I wanted I just went and bought it and brought it home and they came around real quick.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,428 Posts
    Well, at least you'll be a much smaller target to hit than your sisters M1A2 battle-jeep. I guess that must count for something, right? vv

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,054 Posts
    You know, I might do this too. I have a problem with getting tired in something comfortable.
    Bikes kinda keep you awake, plus super cheap to insure and fuel.

I found a cheap Ninja 250R

http://www.motorcycle.com/classified...07200DE07.html

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    6,638 Posts
    You're gonna want Uninsured Motorist on a motorcycle.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,054 Posts
    I wouldn't be having any passengers, it'd just be me.

16. Post #16
    Same thing happened to me when I was trying to get my first bike.

I just talked to them about the safety and showed them that I really want to get the bike. They soon approve and pretty much forgot that they protested against it in the first place.

Also 4th gen above Ninjas are hot.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    6,638 Posts
    I wouldn't be having any passengers, it'd just be me.
    Uninsured motorist is for people that hit you that don't have insurance.

Edit:And I'd definitely advise more than what you have for BI if you're serious. 10/20k is way too cheap. Most people have a minimum of something like 150/250k.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,054 Posts
    Wait, really? Damn, I've always thought it was people who ride with you.
    Would the health insurance from my dad work within that?
    It's a 500k plan.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    5,665 Posts
    if you ride faster than the traffic then you dont need to worry about the traffic
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,420 Posts
    if you ride faster than the traffic then you dont need to worry about the traffic
    How to be a douche at everyone else on the road and eventually probably crash

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    5,665 Posts
    dont be a square man
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    May 2005
    2,146 Posts
    I wish it would be as cheap as you to be legal to use a bike, a 1000cc+ bike would cost 1400$ per years only for the PLATE! And its mostly winter here, insurance... 2000-3000$

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    6,638 Posts
    It's a good thing you don't need a 1000cc supersport if you're just gonna ride around town.

Get a 500 or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    HEY GUYS DID I MENTION I'M IN THE ARMY
    March 2006
    3,244 Posts
    I would say just to get everything. It seems to me that you are plenty responsible and have this well thought out. I have seen way too many " I'll get one as soon as my parents tell me it is OK" people never ever get motorcycles. Sometimes you just gotta do it.