1. Post #161
    December 2009
    3,355 Posts
    Alright after 20 minutes I have come to this conclusion:

I don't have a bloody clue what to do or where to go. There is no direction whatsoever, even though it's just a beta. Apparently I need "Phlegm" to do any action, including digging and running.
    I was confused as hell at first, but some guy helped me out and we soon set about getting more people to join our crew, we're gonna make a town sometime!

Phlegm is literally stamina, you get it from eating things such as mushrooms, berries etc. There isn;t meant to be a direction, you can go wherever and do whatever!

2. Post #162
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    797 Posts
    How do you get points so you can get the survival skill? I hope you have it automatically and spawn somewhere in the wild in a later version.

3. Post #163
    December 2009
    3,355 Posts
    How do you get points so you can get the survival skill? I hope you have it automatically and spawn somewhere in the wild in a later version.
    You have to find certain items such as chestnuts, then right click on them and click study. Smooth stones work too!

4. Post #164
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,838 Posts
    Ok. Someone plot out the shortest path to Cain & Abel.

5. Post #165
    October 2007
    548 Posts
    Hmm now I seem to be stuck. All skills available require more than 500 of skill and 500 seems to be maximum for everything..

6. Post #166
    December 2009
    3,355 Posts
    Hmm now I seem to be stuck. All skills available require more than 500 of skill and 500 seems to be maximum for everything..
    When the bar turns green, click on it to level that skill up. This reduces the points of everything else to 0, however.

7. Post #167
    October 2007
    548 Posts
    Yes I noticed that when I miss-clicked something useless..

8. Post #168
    December 2009
    3,355 Posts
    Great... just had a hermit walk off with half my group's stuff, when I asked for it back he said he ate it all...

9. Post #169
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,838 Posts
    Such is life in the wilderness..

Edited:

What is our cult's alias? We must spread the sacred word of mingecraft..

10. Post #170
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,710 Posts
    I think I'm gonna start a new guy, I still have no idea what I'm doing.

11. Post #171
    October 2007
    548 Posts
    Oh jesus christ how hard is it to light a fire.. broke 4 of those tinder drills and now I'm out of stuff again I was supposed to use for those captivating flames. :<

12. Post #172
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,332 Posts
    Did you guys get an email or something? I have the confirmation email for the beta but I didn't get a download link or anything.

13. Post #173
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,710 Posts
    E-mail titled "Salem Beta Invite"

14. Post #174
    December 2009
    3,355 Posts
    Great... just had a hermit walk off with half my group's stuff, when I asked for it back he said he ate it all...
    In a sudden turn of events the hermit is now a vital part of our society.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #175
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,710 Posts
    Where is your society so I can have something to do

Edit; made a guy called Khalkeus

16. Post #176
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    3,159 Posts
    E-mail titled "Salem Beta Invite"

Are they only sending them out to certain people or something? I haven't got one yet.

17. Post #177
    December 2009
    3,355 Posts
    Where is your society so I can have something to do

Edit; made a guy called Khalkeus
    Head to the coast from Boston, then follow it up North. We have a selection of baskets, a whittlers bench, a fire and a paved area. Along with lots of junk and a dirt pile that I accidently placed down and now can't get rid of!

18. Post #178
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,838 Posts
    What are all o' y'all names?

19. Post #179
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,710 Posts
    I hope you meant the West Coast, because I'm 10 minutes north still at the west coast seeing nothing

20. Post #180
    December 2009
    3,355 Posts
    I hope you meant the West Coast, because I'm 10 minutes north still at the west coast seeing nothing
    I think we're on the east coast... I'll add you as a friend later and you'll be able to head in my direction using the party system.

21. Post #181
    September 2011
    1,489 Posts
    Didn't get in the beta despite getting in the beta, what?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #182
    November 2008
    1,860 Posts
    I got to play this today, it's quite interesting, though hard to understand at first.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #183
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    4,759 Posts
    The start is fucking stupid. Who starts a colony by walking for hours finding stones?
    After finding a stone it all starts to make sense.

The grinding sucks tho.

24. Post #184
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,838 Posts
    So it was pretty easy to get all the base skills.. How do you expand the threshold to afford the higher-tier skills?

25. Post #185
    TO SOME- THING
    September 2009
    4,000 Posts
    Didn't get in the beta despite getting in the beta, what?
    Me neither :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #186
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,793 Posts
    So i walked west for quite a long time, and eventually found another person that had already been playing for quite a while. I grouped up with them, and then after they logged off, joined up with a group of about 4 other people. From there, we eventually snowballed into a settlement of 15 people, and are still going strong.

Just had some douche come along and steal one of our inspirations though.

Overall it's pretty fun after you past the learning curve for skill gain.

27. Post #187
    October 2009
    1,865 Posts
    Damn, I want to play this game baaaaaad... Me and my friend used to be awesome hermit/shamans who lived near a huge city in Haven and Hearth, but we got pissed off that we had to spend most of our time gathering food so we wouldn't starve rather than building and crafting and interacting with people. Does Salem have hunger, and if so how punishing is it?

28. Post #188
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,838 Posts
    Food: heals & replenishes different biles (prepared tier1 replenishes a great deal of all of them). The bile is spent very quickly on skill-gains and replenished just as fast if you're paying attention to the timing of it all.

Momentum picks up as you get past the initial desperation of smooth-stone hunting.

29. Post #189
    The Feral Chicken formerly known as "El Pollo Diablo"
    January 2008
    4,203 Posts
    Damn shame i never got my key, Ugghh.... So any previous H&H players tell us how it is and what's different so far?

30. Post #190
    November 2008
    1,860 Posts
    Well you wander around finding items like food, materials and inspirations.
    First you need to find inspirations to research in order to learn new abilities, when you research you learn skills which at the beginning are capped at 500. When you reach 500/500 in any skill, you click it so that skill will be capped at 600, doing so sets every other skill you have to 0. Same with spending, an ability requires an x amount of certain skills to be learned, when you learn it, all drop skills to 0. Also researching drains your black bile, it can be restored by eating some types of food. Also you can upgrade your max Blood/Phelgm/Yellow bile/Black bile by first making sure they are full and then clicking them will turn your cursor into a fork, then you have to eat various types of food you have to increase one of the stats. I'm not sure how that works, but last time I tried it I got +2 to max blood.
    Blood is health, phelgm is stamina for activities, black bile is for research and yellow bile is for combat.
    When I first started playing I spent nearly an hour to find a good research material/ inspiration, it was smoothstone, a small white round rock, so keep an eye for that.

31. Post #191
    im a gold member please accept me!!!
    March 2011
    1,200 Posts
    ;-; waiting for mah key... you guys should start by coordinating something like Mingesalem or something.

Have fun ;-;   

32. Post #192
    November 2008
    1,860 Posts
    So far I have been one-shotted by a beaver, tortured by crickets and poisoned by a flower.
    Every time I respawned in the city.

33. Post #193
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    4,759 Posts
    Damn, I want to play this game baaaaaad... Me and my friend used to be awesome hermit/shamans who lived near a huge city in Haven and Hearth, but we got pissed off that we had to spend most of our time gathering food so we wouldn't starve rather than building and crafting and interacting with people. Does Salem have hunger, and if so how punishing is it?
    It kinda changes around things abit. There's less crafting and more foraging at the beginning.
    Food now only serves for energy and not for stats.

34. Post #194

February 2010
    818 Posts
    I cant help but think it would be better if my character wasnt invisible.

35. Post #195
    November 2008
    1,860 Posts
    I cant help but think it would be better if my character wasnt invisible.
    You are only supposed to be invisible in the character creation area, where you customize your character by right-clicking npcs.

36. Post #196

February 2010
    818 Posts
    You are only supposed to be invisible in the character creation area, where you customize your character by right-clicking npcs.
    Yer I just realised only went on yesterday for about 30 seconds to make sure it all worked so didnt actually do anything.

37. Post #197
    June 2010
    1,109 Posts
    And no email for me, it sucks.

38. Post #198
    Dennab
    April 2012
    470 Posts
    Everybody is a bobblehead!

39. Post #199
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    3,159 Posts
    I was about to post that I haven't gotten my e-mail yet, but apparently I got it literally 10 minutes ago. Fun.

40. Post #200
    Dennab
    April 2012
    470 Posts
    I shall join the Colony.