1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    220 Posts
    Guys im after some advice on my next camera.
    At the moment im not massive on photography, im more into videos, i have an eye for a good photo iv just never really gone in for it properly. Now im looking at making a career in filming weddings and such and it will obviously help vastly if i threw in the photos too. Now my parents have a bridge camera which i currently borrow for stuff, its a fugifilm exr 20 something or other and is reviewed as one of the best bridge cameras you can buy. Now iv been looking at a canon 550d dslr with 2 lenses for around 480, thinking this would make a good foundation and i can eventually build up to something like the canon 5d and carry all my lenses over. My query is, low range dslr or high end bridge for starters? And if so what models are best. My parents fujifilm is a good camera, its single lens is 28-720mm which saves carrying many lenses however the senser is alot smaller which will affect picture quality and the video focusing is slow to react to changes and i was hoping to use this camera to accompany m y hd camcordor for filming

2. Post #2
    September 2008
    1,511 Posts
    Honestly that 550D you've been looking at sounds like the best option.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

3. Post #3
    March 2011
    646 Posts
    As you pointed out the 550D is the best option but if you are unsure if you would still like photography/Videography then the Bridge Camera would be a better choice as its much pricey.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,076 Posts
    micro 4/3rds cameras are probably the best bridge option, and the original olympus pen is pretty damn cheap.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    4,757 Posts
    micro 4/3rds cameras are probably the best bridge option, and the original olympus pen is pretty damn cheap.
    Not really. As an owner of a 4/3rds, while they make excellent photo cameras, the video mode is very lackluster (Atleast on the older models) compared to the DSLR cousins.

If the OP wants to be able to produce adequate films and still shoot pictures, a 550D would be a great choice - it has an excellent video mode (For it's price), more video in-camera controls, and would probably be a lot easier to re-sell later if s/he got bored.

6. Post #6
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,076 Posts
    well yeah it wouldn't be as good, but when you are looking at less than half the price it is an option to consider (and most likely better than a bridge photo/video camera). just depends if you want to use all your budget.

but also a great camera to consider is the panasonic GF2, which can get hacked firmware to have extremely good video bitrate, and can take a larger variety of lenses for cheaper than a canon.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    4,757 Posts
    but also a great camera to consider is the panasonic GF2, which can get hacked firmware to have extremely good video bitrate, and can take a larger variety of lenses for cheaper than a canon.
    Panasonic/olympus lenses aren't cheaper than canon. They also don't have sigma or tamron alternatives available.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,620 Posts
    Panasonic/olympus lenses aren't cheaper than canon. They also don't have sigma or tamron alternatives available.
    Sigma and Tamron are releasing some lenses pretty soon, but as you've already mentioned, if he needs to do any filming too, then a PEN or G micro isn't the best way to go about it.

9. Post #9
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,076 Posts
    They can get adapted lenses, which are more often better for video anyways because they have distance scales and larger focus rings. But for the price with the hacked firmware the gf2 is leagues above any camera in the price range
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    4,757 Posts
    They can get adapted lenses, which are more often better for video anyways because they have distance scales and larger focus rings. But for the price with the hacked firmware the gf2 is leagues above any camera in the price range
    So he's got to hack the firmware and buy adapted lenses? Great if you're looking for a smaller solution, but not when starting out. I still recommend the 550D. Besides, most online tutorials are canon-focused for filmmaking, which'll really help if you have familar hardware.

11. Post #11
    April 2011
    244 Posts
    A hacked GH2 is actually a very popular alternative (for films) to the 5DII. The point here isn't size--this isn't *that* m4/3 camera. This is actually a fair comparison. The GH2 has won out many times against the 5DII, and recently even the 5DIII.

The 550D gives you a larger range of lenses--a better range of lenses. That's the primary reason Canikon win out in popularity. (They're also pretty standard.)
    The GH2/GF2 will give you a better quality of video, but you sacrifice on the wide-angle side of things.

If you're preoccupied with going wider than 24mm (hint: the bridge camera doesn't go wider than 24mm), and getting super shallow depth of field, go with the 550D. Upgrade to the 5D. You'll be happy. If you're willing to hack your software, adapt lenses, and get equal or better image quality for a cheaper price, try the GH2 or GF2.

but for your actual question, I'd say interchangeable lens camera over a bridge camera.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,076 Posts
    So he's got to hack the firmware and buy adapted lenses? Great if you're looking for a smaller solution, but not when starting out. I still recommend the 550D. Besides, most online tutorials are canon-focused for filmmaking, which'll really help if you have familar hardware.
    just giving an alternate suggestion

also here's a video comparison between the gh2 and mk3
    http://www.eoshd.com/content/7631/pa...vs-5d-mark-iii
    pretty interesting stuff

13. Post #13
    May 2009
    709 Posts
    I regret getting a bridge camera if i'm honest. Cut to the chase and get a DSLR
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    I went straight to the DSLR since I had used some on my class and because I didn't like the idea of having to take pictures with a screen (I fucking hate pointandshoots for that) or an electronic viewfinder.

And because the DSLR market is way larger and Bridge cameras have their own special accesories and glass that cost a fortune

15. Post #15
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,712 Posts
    Get a DLSR, since you are interested into video (like me), a DSLR would be the best option.

With it you will get insane amounts of shallow focus, even with the 18-55mm kit lens with the T2i (550D).

But if you feel that the screen is too restrictive you can check out the T3i (600D) as it's basically the T2i but with a swively screen, which I like but it's overpriced IMO, 150-250 dollars more for such a screen, not that great. But if you do want a swively screen, then I would recommend the 60D, it's probably the only other DLSR with a swively screen that is remotely inexpensive.

Or you can just buy/attach an external monitor on top of it with the assesory shoe.

16. Post #16
    Get a DLSR, since you are interested into video (like me), a DSLR would be the best option.

With it you will get insane amounts of shallow focus, even with the 18-55mm kit lens with the T2i (550D).

But if you feel that the screen is too restrictive you can check out the T3i (600D) as it's basically the T2i but with a swively screen, which I like but it's overpriced IMO, 150-250 dollars more for such a screen, not that great. But if you do want a swively screen, then I would recommend the 60D, it's probably the only other DLSR with a swively screen that is remotely inexpensive.

Or you can just buy/attach an external monitor on top of it with the assesory shoe.
    Wait, what, so Canon's entrylevels are pretty much a direct clone of Nikon's?

17. Post #17
    November 2010
    60 Posts
    bridge cameras to me are just a typical point and shoot with more zoom
    DSLRs or pro compacts are the best bet