1. Post #161
    June 2010
    4,367 Posts
    Had shit piled up in the middle of my room (everything that was in it save furnature.) when I was a small kid. Woke up to it and started crying as it scared me to no end. Do not know the science behind it since the only other in the house was dead asleep and I dont think my dad would waste the little sleep time he could get (worked at a factory) to mentally scar me. Got a couple of other odd experiences too. My stance on ghosts(or what is perceived as a ghost) is neutral. Never even had an imaginary friend, belief in god, santa etc I'm not the type that 'puts myself' into these kind of scenerios for some sort of pleasure/thrill.

2. Post #162
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,595 Posts
    Had shit piled up in the middle of my room (everything that was in it save furnature.) when I was a small kid. Woke up to it and started crying as it scared me to no end. Do not know the science behind it since the only other in the house was dead asleep and I dont think my dad would waste the little sleep time he could get (worked at a factory) to mentally scar me. Got a couple of other odd experiences too. My stance on ghosts(or what is perceived as a ghost) is neutral. Never even had an imaginary friend, belief in god, santa etc I'm not the type that 'puts myself' into these kind of scenerios for some sort of pleasure/thrill.
    I don't get it, you had stuff piled up in your room and it made you cry? Why did you cry?

3. Post #163
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,802 Posts
    I'm open to them being real. Nobody can conclusively say they are or aren't though. I've seen some pretty compelling arguments both ways, but both sides had holes in their tales.

God I'd love for it to be proven to be real though. I want to meet a friendly-ish ghost that's willing to chat a bit.

4. Post #164
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,408 Posts
    I don't get it, you had stuff piled up in your room and it made you cry? Why did you cry?
    I think it's that thing you do when you're a kid. You see a bunch of dark shapes in your room when you're about to sleep and instantly imagine that it's all kinds of things.

5. Post #165
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    I'm open to them being real. Nobody can conclusively say they are or aren't though.
    True, though with the current evidence stacked against them, it is best to assume they do not exist. This is because I want all mediums/etc to be jailed as frauds or at least heavily fined.

I've seen some pretty compelling arguments both ways, but both sides had holes in their tales.
    What? Science doesn't invent tales full of holes. It researches a "Paranormal" event and then explains natural causes for it. I have also yet to see a true compelling argument for ghosts. Even then, science would not be invalidated by it. Ghosts would become a topic of research within science and be effectively explained as part of the natural world. Ghosts can be compatible with it, the only problem is that we haven't found much in the way of evidence for ghosts.

God I'd love for it to be proven to be real though. I want to meet a friendly-ish ghost that's willing to chat a bit.
    Perhaps this is why you are more on the fence than being somewhat more rational, for you seem to want them to exist, despite our understanding of the universe saying otherwise.

6. Post #166
    January 2012
    57 Posts
    This is a waste of discussion; its 2012, not the goddamn middle ages. There are no supernatural "forces" or "entities". There are observed processes and natural laws that can explain what our minds would readily assume is magic or paranormal activity and all of your anecdotal personal experiences are useless.

7. Post #167
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,086 Posts
    like how Newton's law of gravity being superceded by Eistein's theory of relativity explains why a smaller, but denser, object than Earth would have a greater gravitational pull.
    Forgetting the rest of your post for a sec, this is factually wrong. Newton predicts that a smaller, denser object than Earth has a greater gravitation pull.

8. Post #168
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,802 Posts
    What? Science doesn't invent tales full of holes. It researches a "Paranormal" event and then explains natural causes for it. I have also yet to see a true compelling argument for ghosts. Even then, science would not be invalidated by it.
    Every 'scientific' study I've ever come across on the subject has had dodgy parts....usually the methodology, but sometimes you have to wonder if the enhancement they do is somehow affecting the evidence. How do we know that filtering out the background static and boosting the volume of a certain frequency range that reportedly contains a ghost voice 1200% isn't introducing artifacts in the audio, for example? How do we know that voice is even a ghost and not a very faint whisper from a crewman, yell from outside, something like that? The video evidence is also so damn fuzzy and grainy that you can't conclusively say either way. That orb might be a bug, it could be an artifact, or it might be a ball of spirit energy, but the footage is too fucking grainy to tell and running it through editing software in an attempt to clean things up and figure out what it is may introduce artifacts that shoot all of the image's credibility to hell.

We don't have concrete evidence in either direction. Plenty of compelling evidence, but if you scrutinize it close enough you'll find bits where there's still some doubt, doesn't matter which side's evidence you look into.
    Perhaps this is why you are more on the fence than being somewhat more rational, for you seem to want them to exist, despite our understanding of the universe saying otherwise.

I also want warp drives and time travelling DeLoreans to work. Doesn't mean they will ever be built in a functional manner. But like I said, I'm on the fence. They could be real, they could be bullshit, and every piece of evidence I've seen in either direction has dodgy bits that make it not concrete. When that concrete evidence shows up I will go with whatever direction that concrete evidence points. I'm equally open to them being real as being bullshit.

9. Post #169
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,595 Posts
    Every 'scientific' study I've ever come across on the subject has had dodgy parts....usually the methodology, but sometimes you have to wonder if the enhancement they do is somehow affecting the evidence. How do we know that filtering out the background static and boosting the volume of a certain frequency range that reportedly contains a ghost voice 1200% isn't introducing artifacts in the audio, for example? How do we know that voice is even a ghost and not a very faint whisper from a crewman, yell from outside, something like that? The video evidence is also so damn fuzzy and grainy that you can't conclusively say either way. That orb might be a bug, it could be an artifact, or it might be a ball of spirit energy, but the footage is too fucking grainy to tell and running it through editing software in an attempt to clean things up and figure out what it is may introduce artifacts that shoot all of the image's credibility to hell.
    No 'scientific' studies consist of people running around with cameras and microphones in haunted places, what you described sounds like what you get on your average ghost hunting programme and they certainly aren't ran by scientists.

10. Post #170
    April 2012
    566 Posts
    Those things are just plain bullshit and it works, now literally everyone gets scared of darkness

One thing is for sure when a person dies that day or the next day it "WILL" rain. So something does happen when you die and this debunks the idea of reincarnation or pure blackness after death.

11. Post #171
    Silly men accomplish magnificant tasks, the current ammount of womens rear exits that have surrounded my penis makes me confident I will accomplish, shit.
    July 2008
    3,412 Posts
    Replace word ghost as 'gnome' or 'troll' or 'bigfoot' in this thread and you'd end up with similar arguments. No proof of its existence, but no proof of it's not existence

12. Post #172
    October 2011
    2,294 Posts
    Replace word ghost as 'gnome' or 'troll' or 'bigfoot' in this thread and you'd end up with similar arguments. No proof of its existence, but no proof of it's not existence
    You can replace the word with any other unfalsifiable claim for that matter.
    How would you go about proving something doesn't exist? Think about that, i mean REALLY think about that.

How do you prove that faeries don't exist at the bottom of your garden for example? Do you look at your garden in great detail, and then after not seeing any, can you say confidently that faeries do not exist? But what if someone says they're invisible, do you then use a heat sensor to see if you can see any, and when you don't you assume they don't exist? But what if someone says they're MAGICAL and humans can't see them, now what do you do? How do you go about "proving" they don't exist? How can one prove or disprove an unfasifiable claim? Simple, by taking into consideration the assumption upon which the claim is made, because whether you want to admit it or not, a claim is still just a claim. If I have physically looked for faeries, if I have used methods to try to bolster the claim that faeries exist at the bottom of my garden and have found nothing through my research, did I disprove faeries, or did i fail to present evidence towards their existence? Is there really a difference between these two? If I have failed to present evidence than have I not actually presented evidence towards their non existence? Strictly speaking, we should all be faeries agnostics, and assume that because real empirical evidence does not exist for either side, we can't take a real stance upon whether the claim is true or not right? But that's not what we do, is it?

We find it quite easy in fact to lack belief or believe against many many things simply because they are not part of our social conformities. We look back at history and say "wow look at these people, believing in things like dragons, and sun gods, and human sacrifices, and oracles, and all these other things that we take strictly as mythology" yet shouldn't we learn from our history and understand that such mythological claims should maybe be frowned more upon today then they currently are? Is it not a bit scary that the majority of the world's population believes in such mythological and supernatural concepts on planes similar to those of "ancient times"? Here we are, thousands and thousands of years later with scientific knowledge that vastly outsmarted those times, yet we still fall for the same myths and beliefs that people of those time fell for. Why? Because they are part of our everyday norms. It's a conformity that we are eager to fall towards because everyone else does it and we feel more comfortable being part of accepted social norms and ideals.

What people don't understand is that you can not logically prove something as vague as "ghosts" or "supernatural beings" do not exist. You can, however, prove they can not exist by saying that if they did, it would contradict something that we already know as to be true, and this is currently a leading argument against supernatural claims. They contradict modern scientific studies (especially biology), and there's no premise upon which the argument pro such things can truly be build upon.

13. Post #173
    Silly men accomplish magnificant tasks, the current ammount of womens rear exits that have surrounded my penis makes me confident I will accomplish, shit.
    July 2008
    3,412 Posts
    You can replace the word with any other unfalsifiable claim for that matter.
    How would you go about proving something doesn't exist? Think about that, i mean REALLY think about that.

How do you prove that faeries don't exist at the bottom of your garden for example? Do you look at your garden in great detail, and then after not seeing any, can you say confidently that faeries do not exist? But what if someone says they're invisible, do you then use a heat sensor to see if you can see any, and when you don't you assume they don't exist? But what if someone says they're MAGICAL and humans can't see them, now what do you do? How do you go about "proving" they don't exist? How can one prove or disprove an unfasifiable claim? Simple, by taking into consideration the assumption upon which the claim is made, because whether you want to admit it or not, a claim is still just a claim. If I have physically looked for faeries, if I have used methods to try to bolster the claim that faeries exist at the bottom of my garden and have found nothing through my research, did I disprove faeries, or did i fail to present evidence towards their existence? Is there really a difference between these two? If I have failed to present evidence than have I not actually presented evidence towards their non existence? Strictly speaking, we should all be faeries agnostics, and assume that because real empirical evidence does not exist for either side, we can't take a real stance upon whether the claim is true or not right? But that's not what we do, is it?

We find it quite easy in fact to lack belief or believe against many many things simply because they are not part of our social conformities. We look back at history and say "wow look at these people, believing in things like dragons, and sun gods, and human sacrifices, and oracles, and all these other things that we take strictly as mythology" yet shouldn't we learn from our history and understand that such mythological claims should maybe be frowned more upon today then they currently are? Is it not a bit scary that the majority of the world's population believes in such mythological and supernatural concepts on planes similar to those of "ancient times"? Here we are, thousands and thousands of years later with scientific knowledge that vastly outsmarted those times, yet we still fall for the same myths and beliefs that people of those time fell for. Why? Because they are part of our everyday norms. It's a conformity that we are eager to fall towards because everyone else does it and we feel more comfortable being part of accepted social norms and ideals.

What people don't understand is that you can not logically prove something as vague as "ghosts" or "supernatural beings" do not exist. You can, however, prove they can not exist by saying that if they did, it would contradict something that we already know as to be true, and this is currently a leading argument against supernatural claims. They contradict modern scientific studies (especially biology), and there's no premise upon which the argument pro such things can truly be build upon.
    well thats what i said but i said it in one sentence

14. Post #174
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    9,191 Posts
    I often find myself flip-flopping on my belief in the paranormal. (Ghosts and such) That statement sounds hypocritical, but being an Atheist sort of allows that. Why? Well science is just as much of a guessing game as anything else. What we don't know we try to guess and solve with logic; then we test it with experiments until it can be proven or disproven as a theory. I have had a few paranormal experiences, but I just haven't and inclination of what a ghost would be if souls aren't actually there. I don't think we'll know for quite a long time and I'm ok with that. Part of the excitement of living in this Universe is always having some goal or exciting truth to uncover about the Universe's mysterious internal workings.

15. Post #175
    January 2012
    45 Posts
    If you're an Atheist and believe in paranormal events or "ghosts" I think it's a bit of a contradiction.
    I have never experienced anything paranormal, although I have admittedly been terrified of a presence in my room which I could not see, hear, etc. But I'm convinced this was due to lack of sleep and crashing from a sugar rush. I think that paranoia plays a huge roll in whether someone thinks there is a world of "see-through-people" among us.

16. Post #176

November 2011
    29 Posts
    ur dumb if u dont believe in them

17. Post #177
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    Excellent argument, care to explain why centuries of research, observation and experiments have more or less proved ghosts wrong for most day to day affairs?

18. Post #178
    President of the Westboro Baptist Church Fan Club
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,084 Posts
    I'm open to them being real. Nobody can conclusively say they are or aren't though.
    I'm open to clouds actually being giant floating magical marshmallows. Nobody can conclusively say they are or aren't though.

Edited:

And gravity is actually magical invisible elastic ropes tied to everyone's feet. You can't disprove it or prove it though.

Edited:

You can say the same about any magical and undetectable thing. You can't disprove that there isn't a giant invisible purple elephant floating above New York City, but you can't prove it either. If you cannot prove it, it is not true. Saying "it can't be proven or disproven" means that "it's not real".

19. Post #179
    Ask Me About my Castlevania fetish.
    February 2012
    512 Posts
    Ok well here is my point of view. Seeing as how there have been so many reports of it there may be something to this ghost fiasco. Although over the years men have reported other entities, many of which has been disproved and explained. Like some other person earlier in the thread said this has yet to be explained and has baffled scientists. I remain mostly open minded to both sides of this debate but I do believe there may be something out there we can't even begin to comprehend. Science is never black and white.

Edited:

I do not see how someone could be dumb if they don't believe in something that has no proper evidence. Sorry to be off topic here but, it's like saying we're dumb if we don't believe in god. Not saying I don't believe in ghosts or anything.

Edited:

If you're an Atheist and believe in paranormal events or "ghosts" I think it's a bit of a contradiction.
    I have never experienced anything paranormal, although I have admittedly been terrified of a presence in my room which I could not see, hear, etc. But I'm convinced this was due to lack of sleep and crashing from a sugar rush. I think that paranoia plays a huge roll in whether someone thinks there is a world of "see-through-people" among us.
    This makes sense. Sugar crashes sleep deprivation are both known to cause paranoia. I see things when I am tired. Although sometimes this is not the case my dear friend.

20. Post #180
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    Ok well here is my point of view. Seeing as how there have been so many reports of it there may be something to this ghost fiasco. Although over the years men have reported other entities, many of which has been disproved and explained. Like some other person earlier in the thread said this has yet to be explained and has baffled scientists.
    Do you have examples of incidents which has baffled scientists?

21. Post #181
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,084 Posts
    No, he probably has examples of incidents which have baffled him, and he was too lazy to think it through so he went with flying invisible people as the best explanation.

22. Post #182
    Ask Me About my Castlevania fetish.
    February 2012
    512 Posts
    As a matter of fact I do. Arimgat, Argentina. Something about a swing set that moves on its own without wind present. Apparently many people witnessed it and even recorded it swinging for a whole 10 days. That one is what caught my eye the most. The rest I did some research and it came up balony. Like I thought it was going tone. Go check out the ghost swingset one.

Edited:

No, he probably has examples of incidents which have baffled him, and he was too lazy to think it through so he went with flying invisible people as the best explanation.
    Haha, that's how most ghost reports are to be honest. I do not 100% believe in them but I'm not going to just say its fake and it's 100% wrong. There are some things in this world we have not even begin to grasp at yet.

Edit: after researching for about a hour science has yet again disproved ghosts. I stand corrected. Oh well. I feel stupid now. I now will commence jumping off a bridge

23. Post #183
    January 2010
    961 Posts
    To be honest, the sense that I have that I trust the least is the sense of touch. It's the most predisposed to being vulnerable to suggestion.

If I felt a "presence," it would set off a huge red flag in my mind that I am either experiencing a hallucination or some other form of impaired consciousness.

24. Post #184
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    23,895 Posts
    I'm about a week late, but I know what he's talking about. It's a 'common' phenomena in popular ghost stories where various loose items from around the room ranging from small books to chairs mysteriously end up stacked neatly in the center of the room. He says he woke up and saw his belongings stacked in the middle of the room, and started crying because this inexplicable event terrified him.

Example of stacking chairs:

Book version made famous by The Ghostbusters:

25. Post #185
    October 2011
    163 Posts
    Sometimes when i see something in the corner of my eye and think 'was that a ghost?' i just discard it and think no because the proof isn't strong enough and can rationalise that it was me turning around to quickly. But when people tell me of ghosts they've seen i wonder if they do the same thing as me but instead of discard it they believe.

26. Post #186
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,595 Posts
    I've been thinking about this a lot recently and I do think that sometimes people do just 'see' things, the same way we make out patterns in clouds or how we can see a word in a sentence then you look back and you realise its a slightly different word (I'm not sure what this is called). However if someone you trust tells you they've seen a ghost and not just an anomaly in the corner of their eye, like a real encounter how are you meant to take that? You can't just put it down to a hallucination every time someone has a story about a ghost encounter but at the same time the idea of spirits walking around goes against what we know about life and the universe.

27. Post #187
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2005
    4,680 Posts
    As a matter of fact I do. Arimgat, Argentina. Something about a swing set that moves on its own without wind present. Apparently many people witnessed it and even recorded it swinging for a whole 10 days. That one is what caught my eye the most. The rest I did some research and it came up balony. Like I thought it was going tone. Go check out the ghost swingset one.
    it's Firmat, Argentina

Wiki posted:
    In June 2007, a swing in a children's playground was reported to the police after locals had discovered that it would move backwards and forwards non-stop on its own for ten days before stopping dead, while other swings would remain still. The police, who couldn't conclude an explanation called physics professors into Firmat, Argentina. But by October that year, even scientists were "baffled" and could not offer a logical explanation.[2]

Parents and children were convinced that a ghost was to blame. According to a teacher: “One child called it the Blair Witch Playground. We believe it is haunted.” [3] Parents decided that the playground must indeed be haunted.[4]

On an April 13, 2011 episode of the Syfy Channel show, Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files, the crew went to Firmat to investigate the haunted swing. They were able to recreate the movement of the swing with a monofilament, but determined that it was not a viable hoax. Ultimately, after covering the swing with an inflatable dome and performing simulated wind tests, they determined that wind was the likely culprit coupled with the fact that the haunted swing was slightly larger than the other swings and had more surface area to catch the wind.
    basically this is the root of all supernatural claims. I can't explain it off the top of my head, so it must be god/ghosts/whatever

I hate that fucking crap

very legit story btw 10/10

as for the thread topic in general: I have no reason to believe in anything paranormal, so I don't. Things fall under the paranormal/supernatural blanket precisely because they require irrational belief based on emotion (or stupidity) rather than fact

28. Post #188
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    There are no such things as ghosts, or spirits, or paranormal poltergeists or whatever.

The human brain has an extreme propensity for making shit up. Psychologically, we have evolved to HATE the act of not knowing something. We hate the dark because we don't know what's in it, if anything. We hate seeing closed doors and shuttered windows because we don't know what's behind them. We hate seeing a rustling bush because we don't know if it's a bird or a chupacabra.

Thus, the human brain faces a constant sense of cognitive dissonance when we WANT to know something but CAN'T. Regularly, to cope with the dissonance between information known and information unknown, the brain will actively speculate and attempt to fill in the blanks of the equation, typically in a "worst-case scenario" fashion. I'm not talking about conscious speculation, either, I'm talking about speculation as in "the part of your brain that processes visual information makes some shit up before sending it up to the conscious brain." This is a survival mechanism. Even if there's a one in one hundred chance that whatever is rustling in that bush is dangerous, the motherfucker who assumes it is despite all reason and rationale was the fucker who didn't get ate.

This function of the human psyche gave birth to religion, spirituality, and general supernatural mythology. We are hard-wired to have an extreme desire to know things and to make shit up in our own heads when we can't. You see this phenomenon at work a lot in scientific circles, particularly historical scientists (Newton, for instance,) who turn to religion and supernaturalism when they reach the limits of their knowledge and simply do not have the tools or the means to learn more things legitimately.

Additionally, human perceptions are extremely faulty. The human forebrain, to conserve energy, often gets "bored," so to speak, when it is presented with static, mundane information. For instance, a recent study (don't have a link, but google it) showed that a majority of human test subjects who were told to look at themselves in a mirror non-stop for long periods of time would eventually report that their own faces morphed, or were replaced by monstrous, inhuman figures. This is because, as the brain stops processing repetitious visual information, it starts making assumptions about what it *should* be seeing rather than actively processing sensory information. The brain is not very good at making assumptions, suffice to say.

So, when you see something out of the corner of your eye, or immediately think "ghosts!" when something seems off, your brain is quite simply fucking with you. The "see it to believe it" logic is faulty considering our senses are so completely inept at actually giving us accurate information that we had to invent scientific tools just to compensate with our tendency to make shit up--scientific tools that have, thus far, returned negative results toward supernatural hypotheses 100% of the time.

Your instincts function to help you survive, not to help you understand. If you think you see a ghost and you run, you will certainly survive to tell the tale. That does not mean your instinct is trustworthy in that regard. You can trust your brain to keep you alive, not to tell you the truth.

29. Post #189
    ghosts dont exist cuz they dont exist..

(User was banned for this post ("This is not debating." - Megafan))

30. Post #190
    October 2009
    891 Posts
    One time I was at this university tour, the tour guide, she said the top of the old library was locked, because it was haunted. No one on the tour said anything, like this was normal.

Another school, but an accademy, again it was established as haunted in the actic, and no one was to go up there. The thing for awhile was people claimed to hear children up at that top, but then it turned out there was never anyone up there, and that area was locked. The problem was the angry contractor's who had to redo the roof, thought they heard something, but there was nothing. Private accademy with a fence, you really should not tresspass to an area that says keep out anyway. I am curious, but at the same time do not want to know, but personally, just because you hear noise thru an air vent, does not mean it's actually two floors below, instead of the one vaccated area.

I think the most controversial thing was when I heard yet another school, I don't know the details of what was said that made it haunted, but I heard that it was the reason it had to be demolished by the city. I don't see many taking so kindly from a taxpayer perspective, their dollars had to be used to resolve something haunted.

That said, just because something gets known as haunted, does not mean you have to believe it, it just does not change the fact about the situation, after so many expereince something they can't explain. One example I should share was about a cemetary. Various people had gotten to a point about mentioning a glow on an individual's site, but what eventually was resolved, was that after the streetlights on a bridge near-by were replaced, everytime a car were to go over the bridge, is what explained the lighting that appeared to come from the cemetary. Without knowing that traffic jam on the bridge is what stopped the street lights from making reflection upon one or more head stones, where there were no tree leaves to block the light otherwise, my thought are others, especially not native to the area, recgonize this situation as maybe, paranormal, maybe more, when there is wind, shifting the light and shadow around. However, it is also said, that the same site, if you walk in with infared vision, there are supposedly some moving shadows visible only with the infared, that can not be explained. I don't tend to find out, but I don't see what that would solve anyway.

There is also this gem stone mine I went in one time, like everything else, the mine is old, and some had parished, back in the days, when that was allowed. However, the guy working alone down there, said he did not feel it was haunted, and this is 3000 feet under the Earth, and basically in the dark.

31. Post #191
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    23,895 Posts
    The problem was the angry contractor's who had to redo the roof, thought they heard something, but there was nothing.
    Contractors always have the shittiest job in ghost stories.

"Yeah just go up there all by yourself and starting changing shit around and making a lot of noise."

32. Post #192
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    Contractors always have the shittiest job in ghost stories.

"Yeah just go up there all by yourself and starting changing shit around and making a lot of noise."
    I did some oddjobs for a pest control company right out of highschool, and those fuckers always sent me into the crawlspace.

I recall driving out to this one old, rickety 1-story with no basement. Had a crawlspace of maybe two feet, small enough that I had to shimmy like a motherfucker. Owner of the house was talking about how they had a "friendly ghost" living there, and we were all patronizing and shit like "wow, yeah, that's REALLY cool," rolling our eyes and and making vulgar expressions every time the dude looked away.

And then, of course, motherfucker says he's got termites. And guess who got to go into the dark fucking hole with a gun that shoots deadly poison. I saw so much shit. There were spiders fighting rats over raccoon carcasses, there was like an entire, strange, animal fantasy society down there. It was dark, but I'm pretty sure I got into a fistfight with a rat-king. By the time I was done I'd been bitten by eight different things and I had to go get a preventative rabies shot.

And what do my esteemed colleagues ask me when I escaped the murder hole? "Did you see any ghosts?" they asked, "bet that would have been scary!" they said.

What I've seen, ghosts are the least of my problems.

33. Post #193
    October 2010
    1,166 Posts
    I remember having a dream where I was talking to a ghost, and then she was all like "Hey, watch this, I'm so powerful" and I woke up. And then all the power in the house went off and came back on, which makes our oven clock start beeping like crazy. And I crapped my pants.

Ghostgirl was pretty hot before you ask.

34. Post #194
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,254 Posts
    i don't know what to think of ghosts. people like to believe in them, so do i i guess. but they are nowhere to be inspected.

the closest thing to a ghost would be a pale, long-gone, lost-soul crack addict.

35. Post #195
    An airbag saved my life
    February 2007
    2,121 Posts
    Being a lucid dreamer (becoming aware you're dreaming while asleep) I have first-hand awareness of the shear power of the mind to create illusions. For those of you who aren't aware please look up Sleep Paralysis, it's a function of sleep that as you can guess paralyses us so we don't conduct our dream, as believe it or not while we sleep our mind is using all the identical bodily and neural functions required to move our muscles, in otherwords moving your hand in the dream is actually your real hand moving, just under a sheet of paralysis.

The reason I talk about this is because one can potentially stay awake during Sleep Paralysis at the period where a dream begins to form, in fact this is part of a lucid dreaming technique known as W.I.L.D where you enter a dream fully conscious (i.e all memories and thoughts in tact) in this technique dreams can BE REAL, and by REAL I mean look and feel REAL they're almost indistinguishable. I'm going to go of on a tangent and say that philosophically speaking dreams are more real then reality anyway, and I say this because during R.E.M sleep where dreaming occurs the mind is more active then at any stage of waking life, which is often why REM is referred to as paradoxical sleep (the contradiction of being most awake when at a stage of sleep). Though this is all dependent on ones definition of what constitutes reality, but for all it's worth dreams are constructed using a lot of the same mental processes used while awake, and to our minds (maybe not to our conscious self if you're lucid) they're real.

Not to mention during Sleep Paralysis you can experience hallucinations in your room, for instance I've seen shadowy figures in my room, full blown hallucinations manifesting right in my bedroom because my mind is falling asleep, although these experiences and hallucinations are purely driven by expectation, if you didn't know what Sleep Paralysis was and you immediately thought for instance "Oh shit ghosts" your mind would manifests ghosts, and they would perhaps hold you down. Even more interesting is the idea that this might explain the abundance of Alien Abduction stories. Specifically because most people note in Alien Abductions that they were strapped to a table Unable to move, sound like anything? It seems likely these people awoke from sleep, and immediately inferred out of ignorance that they were abducted and then the mind followed through with this hallucination.

You should read up on the explanations people had for these occurrence at night before they knew what SP was, they used to think demons were holding you down or something. Crazy right.

So whenever I hear ghosts and crap I'm already aware that if there was such occurrences there would be heaps of evidence, rather then all this anecdotal bullshit, OH I HAD A PERSONAL EXPERIENCE GUYS, what the hell does that even mean. No the mind is more powerful then the average person is aware of currently.

36. Post #196
    May 2012
    19 Posts
    I seen alot of ghosts when i was little.

37. Post #197
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Shouldn't ghosts be stuck at the centre of the Earth, gravity?

Edited:

Pendulums, how do they work?

38. Post #198
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,084 Posts
    ~~~magic~~~

39. Post #199
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,404 Posts
    If they pass through the earth like that why would gravity effect them?

40. Post #200
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    If they pass through the earth like that why would gravity effect them?
    then why the fuck would they be chilling out at Earth to begin with when they have an eternity to explore the fucking universe.

Edited:

Like I can understand maybe a few decades of haunting shit, but wouldn't these centuries-old ghosts be like "yo, this place is getting sort of old. Let's go to the fucking moon."

Edited:

also what is ghosts maximum flight speed