1. Post #1
    September 2011
    689 Posts
    My birthday is coming up, and my computer is on it's final legs. My parents will give me money for a new computer, but they won't give it to me if I want to build my own, because they think I'll break it when building it.
    I will want the computer, to run Studio One DAW smoothly and reliably, for me to learn to program and for maybe some light gaming (TF2, Minecraft, small indie games) . I don't have a set budget, but I'd like it as cheap as possible, 400 top preferably 200 - 300.
    I will need everything apart from a mouse.
    Preferably show me a system that costs 400 prebuilt, and an alternative list of parts that costs a lot less but does the same.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    July 2009
    3,690 Posts
    You'll get a hell of a better build if you do it yourself. Perhaps show your parents a video, and remind them everything is under warranty for this very reason?

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,249 Posts
    You'll get a hell of a better build if you do it yourself. Perhaps show your parents a video, and remind them everything is under warranty for this very reason?
    Well I don't think warranties cover accidental damage, only DOA components and components that fail through normal use...so if he breaks it, he'll have to pay

That said, building a computer is not a difficult task. Sure, it's a bit of a faff, but computers are supposed to be built from scratch - there is noting special to building a computer, it cannot go wrong (unless you order the wrong parts, but Facepunch will take care of that). Just like building (very expensive) Lego! As long as you have common sense and take precautions to prevent static damage, you'll be fine
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    July 2009
    3,690 Posts
    Well I don't think warranties cover accidental damage, only DOA components and components that fail through normal use...so if he breaks it, he'll have to pay

That said, building a computer is not a difficult task. Sure, it's a bit of a faff, but computers are supposed to be built from scratch - there is noting special to building a computer, it cannot go wrong (unless you order the wrong parts, but Facepunch will take care of that). Just like building (very expensive) Lego! As long as you have common sense and take precautions to prevent static damage, you'll be fine
    Actually I think they do - a friend of mine damaged a CPU while inserting it, and they took it back and replaced it. Even then it's fairly easy to build a computer, and unlikely that you'll mess it up. Even if you do mess it up, there's a ton of documentation on the internet to help you fix it (it's pretty hard to break parts, so it's usually a misconfiguration). I spend a while writing an article on troubleshooting newly built PCs for this very reason, despite the fact very few people will likely have to ever use

Overall, it's as you say like special Lego - except you can't put anything in the wrong way. Also the motherboard nearly always has a manual (I like the manuals with ASUS boards, but that's just me), and it's written as a 'step-by-step' with diagrams to help you.

Overall, I reckon you'd be fine, and I'm sure FP would be more than happy to help if you have a problem.

Edited:

Also "I need anything apart from a mouse". Does that mean that you need a monitor too? Or do you have an old TV you could use temporarily
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,525 Posts
    No they don't. Your friend is probably dishonest and said it was like that when he got it. Warranties do NOT cover damage by the user.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    September 2011
    689 Posts
    Actually I think they do - a friend of mine damaged a CPU while inserting it, and they took it back and replaced it. Even then it's fairly easy to build a computer, and unlikely that you'll mess it up. Even if you do mess it up, there's a ton of documentation on the internet to help you fix it (it's pretty hard to break parts, so it's usually a misconfiguration). I spend a while writing an article on troubleshooting newly built PCs for this very reason, despite the fact very few people will likely have to ever use

Overall, it's as you say like special Lego - except you can't put anything in the wrong way. Also the motherboard nearly always has a manual (I like the manuals with ASUS boards, but that's just me), and it's written as a 'step-by-step' with diagrams to help you.

Overall, I reckon you'd be fine, and I'm sure FP would be more than happy to help if you have a problem.

Edited:

Also "I need anything apart from a mouse". Does that mean that you need a monitor too? Or do you have an old TV you could use temporarily
    I don't even have an old TV that's not in use. I could probably use one while building but not for long as it's a bit big.

7. Post #7
    July 2009
    3,690 Posts
    No they don't. Your friend is probably dishonest and said it was like that when he got it. Warranties do NOT cover damage by the user.
    I guess that'd make sense. It's still unlikely he'll break anything though

8. Post #8
    September 2011
    689 Posts
    There is no way I can convince them to let me build my own. Can anyone suggest me some prebuilds between 200 and 300 that I can buy new parts for when I get money. Leave the moniter out of the budget.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,525 Posts
    There is no way I can convince them to let me build my own. Can anyone suggest me some prebuilds between 200 and 300 that I can buy new parts for when I get money. Leave the moniter out of the budget.
    At that price range I doubt the PSU would be good enough to power any sort of modern GPU if you want to upgrade. It'll likely be some bare minimum PSU from a company nobody has ever heard of before.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    4,149 Posts
    Show them this website http://www.pcityourself.com/building/introduction.php it shows how computer parts are put in and tell them that it's easy to do and it's cheaper.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    December 2009
    1,122 Posts
    -snip-

12. Post #12
    September 2011
    689 Posts
    OK I have a 450 budget that I could probably raise to 500 if I need it. I want a desktop with with a monitor and a keyboard. I would also like the possibility of upgrading it. It is for the same use that I put in the OP. Thanks.

Edited:

Remember it has to be a p rebuild or my budget drops to 150.

Edited:

Edited:

I really wanted to build one, but I can only get the money from my parents if it comes off the shelf in working order. They made that decision and there is no convincing them without making the situation worse. Some people don't accept facts like we do.

13. Post #13
    September 2011
    689 Posts
    Is it better to get a custom build than a off the shelf desktop?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    June 2010
    1,358 Posts
    Let us all speak to your parents and tell them to have some sense.

Edited:

But in response to your question, probably a custom build, depending on where you get it from.

15. Post #15
    September 2011
    689 Posts
    Let us all speak to your parents and tell them to have some sense.

Edited:

But in response to your question, probably a custom build, depending on where you get it from.
    Where would a good place to get it from in the UK be?

16. Post #16

April 2011
    4,528 Posts
    You really can't convince them to let you use iBuyPower or some other building site that builds it for you?

It isn't ideal but it's better than a prebuilt.

17. Post #17
    September 2011
    689 Posts
    You really can't convince them to let you use iBuyPower or some other building site that builds it for you?

It isn't ideal but it's better than a prebuilt.
    Is there a good UK equivalent?

18. Post #18
    June 2010
    1,358 Posts
    http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/ is apparently pretty decent, have a look around there.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,301 Posts
    Meh, Get somebody from UK to put together a computer for you. Tell your parents that it is a quality company and stuff.

Maybe http://milkyware.co.uk/ ? Milky might do it. I do not know him but I know that he is awesome and might help you out with that idea.

The PC will be custom and it will not have the cyberpower or otherbullcrap thingy things on it I think.

20. Post #20
    September 2011
    689 Posts
    Meh, Get somebody from UK to put together a computer for you. Tell your parents that it is a quality company and stuff.

Maybe http://milkyware.co.uk/ ? Milky might do it. I do not know him but I know that he is awesome and might help you out with that idea.

The PC will be custom and it will not have the cyberpower or otherbullcrap thingy things on it I think.
    Milky is not in my price range.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    September 2011
    689 Posts

22. Post #22
    December 2010
    1,077 Posts
    My birthday is coming up, and my computer is on it's final legs. My parents will give me money for a new computer, but they won't give it to me if I want to build my own, because they think I'll break it when building it.
    I will want the computer, to run Studio One DAW smoothly and reliably, for me to learn to program and for maybe some light gaming (TF2, Minecraft, small indie games) . I don't have a set budget, but I'd like it as cheap as possible, 400 top preferably 200 - 300.
    I will need everything apart from a mouse.
    Preferably show me a system that costs 400 prebuilt, and an alternative list of parts that costs a lot less but does the same.
    If your parents are worried you'll break it during assembly why don't they do it?

Oh wait they can't because they're ignorant asswipes that don't know shit about computers.

Talk to them man, as long as they're not catholics they should be susceptible to enlightenment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    September 2011
    689 Posts
    Computer Case: X-Blade Black
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 (4 x 3.4 GHz) 8MB - Black Edition
    CPU Heatsink: AMD Heatsink & Fan
    Memory: 4GB PC3-10666 1333MHz (1x4GB) DDR3
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 - 2 GB - (PALIT) - (PCI-E)
    Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M LX (AMD 760G) - VGA
    Sound Card: Motherboard Integrated HD Sound
    Networking: Motherboard Integrated Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready)
    Power Supply: 350W PSU
    Hard Drive #1: 250 GB SATA-II HDD 7200 RPM 8MB (FREE UPGRADE TO 320 GB ORDER BEFORE 15-04-12)
    Optical Drive #1: Samsung 22x DVD Re-Writer/Reader /- RW- Black - (SATA)
    Operating System #1: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT (Genuine DVD & COA Included)
    Backup Software: FREE - Windows 7 Backup
    Monitor #1: 18.5" Widescreen TFT - Black - 5 MS
    Free Gift: FREE - 6 Port Surge Protection
    Monitor Cables & Adapters: FREE - DVI Port to VGA Monitor Port Adapter
    Hows that looking, I got it off http://www.computerplanet.co.uk/index.html. Is that company any good?

Edited:

Spaz, what do you disagree about, I can't learn if all I know is someone generally disagrees with my choice.

24. Post #24
    September 2011
    689 Posts
    System Case: Coolermaster Elite 334U Black Midi Tower Case with CM 460w PSU
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D2V Gen 3 Intel H61 Chipset with USB3 Support
    CPU: Intel Core i3 2100 Dual Core 3.1GHz 3MB Cache - Hyperthreading Support
    Memory - DDR3: 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair DDR3 - 1333MHz
    Graphics Cards: 1GB Asus HD 6450 Silent - Required to run dual monitors.
    System Drive: 500GB Western Digital Blue SATA6 7200rpm 16MB Cache
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S222AB BEBE - 22x DVD Writer
    Flash Card Reader: Internal All in 1 Card Reader inc USB 2.0 Port!
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
    Keyboard & Mouse Bundle: I have my own Keyboard & Mouse I plan to use...
    Monitor - TFT: 19" Acer V193WVCb LCD Monitor - 1440x900
    Speakers: I have my own Speakers I plan to use...
    What about this one from 3xs.scan.co.uk ?

25. Post #25
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    16,012 Posts
    Awful GPU.

Edited:

If your parents are worried you'll break it during assembly why don't they do it?

Oh wait they can't because they're ignorant asswipes that don't know shit about computers.

Talk to them man, as long as they're not catholics they should be susceptible to enlightenment.
    whole lot of angst lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    September 2011
    689 Posts
    Awful GPU.
    Would I be best off going with integrated and upgrading at a later date?

Use onboard Intel Graphics - Perfect for Home/Office use! (0.00)
    1GB Asus HD 6450 Silent - Required to run dual monitors. (24.78) add 24.78
    1GB XFX HD 6770 - Mid Gaming Card! (60.67) add 60.67
    1GB EVGA GT 520 - Required to run dual monitors. (29.52) add 29.52
    1Gb EVGA GTX 460 Superclocked - Mid Gaming Card! (95.46) add 95.46

That is the choice on 3xs v10 system.

27. Post #27
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    16,012 Posts
    Would I be best off going with integrated and upgrading at a later date?

Use onboard Intel Graphics - Perfect for Home/Office use! (0.00)
    1GB Asus HD 6450 Silent - Required to run dual monitors. (24.78) add 24.78
    1GB XFX HD 6770 - Mid Gaming Card! (60.67) add 60.67
    1GB EVGA GT 520 - Required to run dual monitors. (29.52) add 29.52
    1Gb EVGA GTX 460 Superclocked - Mid Gaming Card! (95.46) add 95.46

That is the choice on 3xs v10 system.
    It's actually a pretty good price for the cards they show, go for the 6770 or 460.

Edited:

You wouldn't really be better off buying a new GPU later because then you'd have to change the PSU, too, which is, imo, the hardest part of building a pc.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,378 Posts
    Spaz, what do you disagree about, I can't learn if all I know is someone generally disagrees with my choice.
    The GPU you picked was terrible, but you've corrected it now so it doesn't matter.

29. Post #29
    September 2011
    689 Posts
    It's actually a pretty good price for the cards they show, go for the 6770 or 460.

Edited:

You wouldn't really be better off buying a new GPU later because then you'd have to change the PSU, too, which is, imo, the hardest part of building a pc.
    Am I best off going for one of these monitors or another one?

19" Acer V193WVCb LCD Monitor - 1440x900 (57.19)
    21.5" Acer V223HQVbd Full HD LCD Monitor - 1920x1080 (69.22) add 12.03
    24" Asus VS247H LED Full HD LCD Monitor - 1920x1080 - PC Pro Labs Labs Winner! (124.24) add 67.05

Edited:

The GPU you picked was terrible, but you've corrected it now so it doesn't matter.
    I don't know much about GPUs, or parts in general, so I was just guessing and hoping I didn't make any horrible decisions.

Edited:

Or what GPU out of these?

ATI Radeon HD 5450 - 1 GB - (Sapphire) (PCI-E) + 23.29

ATI Radeon HD 6450 - 1 GB - (XFX) - Silent - (PCI-E) + 29.7

VIDIA GeForce GT 210 - 1 GB - (Gainward) - Silent (PCI-E) + 24.00

NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 - 1 GB (MSI) (PCI-E) + 32.50

I think I'll go with the computer planet's stuff as I don't like having limitations on the PSU.

30. Post #30
    February 2010
    1,255 Posts
    aahah fucking buy it off scan kid, you can get scan insurance in case you fuck up.
    Just phone them and state your build price and what you need.

http://www.scan.co.uk/

31. Post #31
    September 2011
    689 Posts
    System Case: Coolermaster Elite 334U Black Midi Tower Case with CM 460w PSU
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D2V Gen 3 Intel H61 Chipset with USB3 Support
    CPU: Intel Core i3 2100 Dual Core 3.1GHz 3MB Cache - Hyperthreading Support
    Memory - DDR3: 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair DDR3 - 1333MHz
    Graphics Cards: 1GB XFX HD 6770 - Mid Gaming Card!
    System Drive: 500GB Western Digital Blue SATA6 7200rpm 16MB Cache
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S222AB BEBE - 22x DVD Writer
    Flash Card Reader: Internal All in 1 Card Reader inc USB 2.0 Port!
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
    Keyboard & Mouse Bundle: I have my own Keyboard & Mouse I plan to use...
    Monitor - TFT: 19" Acer V193WVCb LCD Monitor - 1440x900
    Speakers: I have my own Speakers I plan to use...

So is this a good system for 540?

32. Post #32
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    16,012 Posts
    System Case: Coolermaster Elite 334U Black Midi Tower Case with CM 460w PSU Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D2V Gen 3 Intel H61 Chipset with USB3 Support CPU: Intel Core i3 2100 Dual Core 3.1GHz 3MB Cache - Hyperthreading Support Memory - DDR3: 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair DDR3 - 1333MHz Graphics Cards: 1GB XFX HD 6770 - Mid Gaming Card! System Drive: 500GB Western Digital Blue SATA6 7200rpm 16MB Cache Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S222AB BEBE - 22x DVD Writer Flash Card Reader: Internal All in 1 Card Reader inc USB 2.0 Port! Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit Keyboard & Mouse Bundle: I have my own Keyboard & Mouse I plan to use... Monitor - TFT: 19" Acer V193WVCb LCD Monitor - 1440x900 Speakers: I have my own Speakers I plan to use... So is this a good system for £540?
    yep, it's decent, and at that resolution you'll probably be maxing out just about every game

33. Post #33
    September 2011
    689 Posts
    yep, it's decent, and at that resolution you'll probably be maxing out just about every game
    Thanks.

34. Post #34

April 2011
    4,528 Posts
    Why won't you let your parents talk to us? We could probably persuade them.

35. Post #35
    September 2011
    689 Posts
    Why won't you let your parents talk to us? We could probably persuade them.
    Because of posts like this:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5Zing Zing x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,635 Posts
    Buy from Scan and buy Scansure, it protects against accidental damage while you install it (28 days, I think it is). That's what I used to persuade my parents.

Edited:

http://www.scan.co.uk/scansure/

37. Post #37
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    16,012 Posts
    Buy from Scan and buy Scansure, it protects against accidental damage while you install it (28 days, I think it is). That's what I used to persuade my parents.

Edited:

http://www.scan.co.uk/scansure/
    That's actually very cool, sounds like a great way to convince them.

38. Post #38
    December 2010
    1,077 Posts

whole lot of angst lol
    I know right lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    September 2011
    689 Posts
    That's actually very cool, sounds like a great way to convince them.
    Didn't work. :(

40. Post #40
    June 2010
    1,358 Posts
    Jesus I thought my parents were stubborn. Do they just have no trust in you or what?