1. Post #1
    Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...usaolp00000009

An elderly Texas woman has been charged with an anti-gay hate crime after allegedly attacking her 25-year-old neighbor with her wooden cane.

As The Fort-Worth Star-Telegram is reporting, 71-year-old Wanda Derby allegedly attacked the man, who has since been identified as Lloyd Guerrero by other media outlets, one week after Derby's son moved in with him. Derby is accused not only of striking Guerrero several times with the cane, but also choking him by placing the cane against his throat. She is charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and the charge is enhanced as a hate crime, and is also charged with assault causing bodily injury, according to the Associated Press.

Guerrero, a local actor who lives next door and is openly gay, says the attack followed several weeks of escalating tension after Derby previously outed him on her Facebook page. "I honestly don't know what she was thinking or what she even had in her," he told NBC Dallas-Fort Worth. "Honestly, it looked like something out of a TV show. And I will say, she hit pretty hard."

Guerrero's mother, who witnessed the attack, was also reportedly hit in the face.

The Dallas Voice notes that Derby called Guerrero a "faggot" several times when talking to police, and claimed that he had AIDS and would give it to her son. Guerrero had marks and bruises on his throat and body and was treated at the scene.

The relationship between Guerrero and Derby's son, who is reportedly in his 30s, remains unclear, but Derby's Facebook page contains some colorful comments. "My son Steven is no longer my son," she writes in one post. "He has sided with the idiots next door to me and I guess he things they will take care of him. He will never get another thing from me or his dad. We have washed our hands of him."

Derby posted $11,500 bond and has since been released from jail, according to the Star-Telegram.
    Fucking bigoted piece of shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 23Funny Funny x 5Dumb Dumb x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    November 2008
    560 Posts
    What did you expect from texas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 20Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    USER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY - RETRY CONNECTION IN 5 MINUTES
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    If you were straight, but the attacker believed you were gay and was attacking you based on that criteria, could they still be charged with a hate crime? Just asking out of curiosity, of course.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    1,506 Posts
    If you were straight, but the attacker believed you were gay and was attacking you based on that criteria, could they still be charged with a hate crime? Just asking out of curiosity, of course.
    I would assume so, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just called assault and not a hate crime.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

5. Post #5
    ''just wondering''
    December 2008
    2,877 Posts
    Glad the police are prosecuting this as a hate crime.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

6. Post #6
    known terrorist
    April 2011
    7,022 Posts
    Stop bitching about Texas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Agree Agree x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    Oh no, what have I done!
    November 2007
    22,047 Posts
    My best friend is gay-married to his husband and he lives in Texas.

Stupid bad post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

8. Post #8
    GOD FUCKING DAMNIT
    September 2005
    1,408 Posts
    Whether this be in Texas or any other place: There's no goddamn reason to freak out over homosexuality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

9. Post #9
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,810 Posts
    Old-age bigotry is a horrible thing; she should take pills for that condition...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,844 Posts
    delicious chili?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    23,079 Posts
    I'm pretty certain hate crimes are based on your reasons, not the actual person itself, if that makes any sense.
    So I'm gonna say yes, you would be charged with a hate crime.

12. Post #12
    May 2010
    90 Posts
    Old people...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    gra

August 2011
    276 Posts
    Old people...
    lol @ u if u think this kind of thing is limited to old people
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    July 2009
    4,685 Posts
    Derby previously outed him on her Facebook page.
    The Greatest of Insults!

15. Post #15
    I make sexist and racist jokes all the time yet,i still support the feminist movement and the rights of blacks.
    July 2010
    5,535 Posts
    We used to hang 'em filthy faggots back in my day!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Slovakia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,910 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

17. Post #17
    January 2010
    1,131 Posts
    Bring me Han solo and the Wookie
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

18. Post #18
    I'd tap that ass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    How is this in any way funny at all? Its fucking terribly sad. To know that this woman is 71 years old, and ignorant. She shouldn't be put in prison, she should be put in a retirement home.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    How is this in any way funny at all? Its fucking terribly sad. To know that this woman is 71 years old, and ignorant. She shouldn't be put in prison, she should be put in a retirement home.
    She needs to be imprisoned.

21. Post #21

November 2010
    375 Posts
    Fuck you Texas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

22. Post #22
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,610 Posts
    I have to say I'm surprised Texas actually elevated it to a hate crime.

As stupid as Texas may be, the fact that they did things in favor of an open gay man, and even legalized gay marriage (if I'm reading milkandcooki's post right) makes me think that state actually has some glimmer of hope left in it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    hey
    August 2006
    6,087 Posts
    Old people...
    there's a lesbian couple in their 60s/70s that live on my street and they're the nicest people i know

piss off

edit:

don't be ageist
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

24. Post #24
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,610 Posts
    there's a lesbian couple in their 60s/70s that live on my street and they're the nicest people i know

piss off
    The thing with old people is when someone turns old, ~95% of the time they're either going to be the nicest people you ever meet or the worst people you ever meet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    USER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY - RETRY CONNECTION IN 5 MINUTES
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    I have to say I'm surprised Texas actually elevated it to a hate crime.

As stupid as Texas may be, the fact that they did things in favor of an open gay man, and even legalized gay marriage (if I'm reading milkandcooki's post right) makes me think that state actually has some glimmer of hope left in it.
    From what I've heard Texas is a pretty nice place. The problem is that the state has a lot of rural areas, and rural areas are very conservative. Otherwise, the state is a beacon for science and learning.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.
    November 2011
    7,079 Posts
    I'd tap that ass.
    That's her face, I can see how the mistake would be make
    /badhumorattempt
    also, Biggot asshole. I for one have no problem with people that are gay

27. Post #27
    January 2012
    739 Posts
    Funny part is her son is probably also gay.