1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    1,601 Posts
    I am starting to get into urbexing and just want to know what type of equipment I need to get started. I already picked up 2 torches and a 8 head screw driver today for just 6 pounds. I'm looking for stuff that's fairly cheap, and useful.

2. Post #2
    March 2011
    644 Posts
    Do not take a screwdriver, British police make that going prepared or in other words you go to jail if caught. other than that don't buy cheap, cheap things often break.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    1,601 Posts
    I was looking for advice on what to buy, As in Equipment?

4. Post #4
    March 2011
    644 Posts
    You don't really need much but it mainly depends on the site,
    A camera should be on the list for anywhere
    A drink is always a good thing to have
    A first aid kit is one day going to be important

Sturdy shoes/boots
    Tight fitting clothes that cover all of your arms and legs
    Gloves are good because you never know what there is on the surfaces
    a hard hat if your a bit clumsy like me (I once hit my head three times in 5 minutes accessing a building)

The equipment you need really depends on the site.

5. Post #5
    October 2007
    1,489 Posts
    Avoid things that are used to tamper with the building or area you are exploring.

Remember you are not meant to be their. Screw drivers, crowbars, lock picks are a no go if the police show up. They will assume you are their for thieving or vandalising.

Basics in my opinion.

Bag
    Drink
    Torch
    Gloves
    Camera
    A disposable mask if you are concerned about breathing in something nasty like asbestos.

Something to use as communication is also handy.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    1,601 Posts
    Thanks a lot!

7. Post #7
    January 2012
    359 Posts
    Yeah If i need to break in or pick a lock I do it in two separate trips. I go with the tools, bust the lock open, then put all the tools back before going in to explore. You definitely don't need to get caught with that shit on you.

Also, I'm surprised none of you mentioned the essential tool in every smart explorers kit, which is a $25 respirator. Filters last a month and cost a dollar. Cancer is free.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    1,601 Posts
    Wow, It's that risky eh? Where can I get a respirator?

9. Post #9
    October 2007
    1,489 Posts
    Wow, It's that risky eh? Where can I get a respirator?
    It really does depend where you explore.

I was out exploring some car factory. masks weren't really needed since the place was so ventilated since the roof seemed to of collapsed some time ago.

It depends on how serious you take it really. If you do it often enough I would pick one up if not just get a pack of some disposable masks.

10. Post #10
    January 2012
    359 Posts
    Lead dust is so tiny it is invisible as well as odorless so if you were breathing it, you wouldn't realize it. Lead dust is so tiny it passes through most masks & filters. Some places that have all the windows busted out or a collapsing ceiling is certainly more ventilated, but still not always a sure thing. I just explored a 9 story hotel that has been vacant for 26 years, it was very well ventilated, but the mold, lead, and asbestos was everywhere! Asbestos is not harmful to the touch, ONLY if it is inhaled. You have no idea how much you kick up just from walking around, no matter how light you step.

Disposable masks cover your face, yeah, but the filters are not as effective. You may as well just put a bandana over your face. While still bad ass, it also looks a little less suspicious than a mask and can comfortably rest around your neck while not in use.

Its all about the filters you use because they all serve different purposes and are conveniently labeled with different ratings. Mine is P100, 99% effective to all airborne particles and oils. Don't buy anything without checking first. Would you wear a condom that was less than 80% effective? You can order the same one I have for only $17 on amazon.com. Great price for an essential item.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...X1XVYK4K5Q71BY

I wish I had bought it sooner just for all of the mold I have breathed in while exploring. If days later, you sneeze, and it still tastes like mold.... that's bad.

How serious you take it is how serious you are about your health. If you don't care if you have health problems in 10-15 years, go nuts. But if you prefer to be healthy and not rack up $100,000+ in medical bills, I'd probably invest in a cheap little respirator.

Point is... even if you think the air quality is safe, chances are... it's not. And it's really not worth the risk. You'd wear a condom if you fucked a strange bitch, right? I would hope those same precautions apply to your lungs as well.

Hope that helps, good luck and be safe!