1. Post #1
    I'm halving my usage of math each week.. but, apparently I'll never be able to quit.
    October 2009
    5,615 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner x 97Informative x 12Funny x 3Dumb x 2Useful x 2Zing x 1Optimistic x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    3,714 Posts
    Awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 32Dumb x 4Useful x 3Disagree x 1Informative x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    I can't think of a good title.
    May 2010
    16,835 Posts
    That many? Wow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 36Useful Useful x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Skeepan Member
    September 2007
    3,605 Posts
    This country is finally making some progress.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 112Dumb x 51Funny x 6Disagree x 2Winner x 2Useful x 2Informative x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,199 Posts
    Little by little.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 46Dumb Dumb x 11Useful Useful x 3Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    "Gold Member"
    Dennab
    May 2007
    13,705 Posts

Yes because a people's religious beliefs are clearly the determining factor for progress.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 165Zing x 9Dumb x 5Useful x 3Funny x 2Late x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,694 Posts
    Why exactly does it matter what a person believes?

I'm an atheist and I don't even see why it matters. Any reason why believing in a religion is such a bad thing?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 71Dumb x 7Useful x 4Winner x 2Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,199 Posts
    I would say because it undermines the possibility of us pushing past religious beliefs to ensure the rights of everyone are in place.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 73Disagree x 7Useful x 4Dumb x 2Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Not that bad of a seed
    January 2011
    11,132 Posts
    I would say because it undermines the possibility of us pushing past religious beliefs to ensure the rights of everyone are in place.
    Atheists can be just as guilty of this as people of any other religion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree x 65Agree x 26Dumb x 7Useful x 4Zing x 2Funny x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Absolute tosser, manchild, and belligerent douche-nozzle.
    July 2006
    6,803 Posts
    Yes because a people's religious beliefs are clearly the determining factor for progress.
    They certainly are and I'm not being sarcastic
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 61Disagree Disagree x 15Dumb Dumb x 7Useful Useful x 3 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,694 Posts
    Way to generalize everybody who's religious into some ignorant group. Most religious people don't follow their transcript word for word, and many of my religious friends are very tolerant of how a person chooses to live their life (ie homosexuality, abortions, etc). I have atheist friends who are complete homophobes, does that mean all atheists are homophobes now?

Hell, I can't really think of anybody I know who complains about how their religion is being violated by the practices of others.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 36Useful x 4Dumb x 2Winner x 2Disagree x 2Optimistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,976 Posts
    Atheists can be just as guilty of this as people of any other religion.
    No they can't.

We don't follow one doctrine. We just don't accept any doctrine. We're not a religion like you implied, dammit. We're a lack of one. Get it right. We decided not to follow faith. That's it. Some decide to believe in evolution, some decide to believe in the Big Bang, etc. We're not categorized by belief, but lack of one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 47Dumb x 6Useful x 4Informative x 1Winner x 1Artistic x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    I make sexist and racist jokes all the time yet,i still support the feminist movement and the rights of blacks.
    July 2010
    5,535 Posts
    Never thought i'd see the day of America making progress.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Slovakia Show Events Dumb x 16Funny x 9Agree x 7Useful x 3Informative x 2Optimistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,694 Posts
    -automerge-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Useful Useful x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    August 2011
    501 Posts
    They certainly are and I'm not being sarcastic
    *cough* Soviet Russia *cough*.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 31Useful Useful x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,976 Posts
    Way to generalize everybody who's religious into some ignorant group. Most religious people don't follow their transcript word for word, and many of my religious friends are very tolerant of how a person chooses to live their life (ie homosexuality, abortions, etc). I have atheist friends who are complete homophobes, does that mean all atheists are homophobes now?
    No, but by deciding to call themselves Christian, for example. Not saying they are, but that's the most common example, they are saying that they agree with most of Christianity's beliefs. They may go to church and fund this sort of doctrine and spreading of homophobic, racist, and sexist beliefs. That's bad. If they don't follow it word for word they shouldn't be following it at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 20Useful Useful x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    9,489 Posts
    You do know that some people just believe in god and don't follow any of the big religions
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Agree Agree x 14Useful Useful x 3 (list)

18. Post #18
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,189 Posts
    If they don't follow it word for word they shouldn't be following it at all.
    Wait when was this decided and by who?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Useful Useful x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    August 2011
    501 Posts
    Around 1530 and John Calvin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Useful Useful x 3 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,976 Posts
    Common sense?

You can't just pick and choose in a religious book like the Bible. It's very clear that it means everything it says and you should take all of it to heart. You're not even following the Bible at that point; you're just agreeing with some ideas and rolling with it. Things like this are all or nothing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Disagree Disagree x 3Useful Useful x 3 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,694 Posts
    No, but by deciding to call themselves Christian, for example. Not saying they are, but that's the most common example, they are saying that they agree with most of Christianity's beliefs. They may go to church and fund this sort of doctrine and spreading of homophobic, racist, and sexist beliefs. That's bad. If they don't follow it word for word they shouldn't be following it at all.
    I know you like to believe that everyone who's religious is ignorant, but could you stop being ignorant yourself? There's hundreds of Christian churches who don't breach homophobic, racist, or sexist beliefs. Just because they identify themselves into a group which has many sects, doesn't mean they're all the same. And calling yourself a Christian doesn't automatically make you some racisti homophobe. Take your head out of your ass and read what you're typing, please.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Dumb Dumb x 11Useful Useful x 3 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,976 Posts
    I'm also going to go ahead and say that it does. When you believe in something with lack of evidence, you're condoning faith and lack of proof. That stunts scientific progress at the very least.

Not to mention evolution is still, for whatever reason, not completely accepted in America.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 20Dumb Dumb x 9Useful Useful x 3 (list)

23. Post #23
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,189 Posts
    Common sense?

You can't just pick and choose in a religious book like the Bible. It's very clear that it means everything it says and you should take all of it to heart. You're not even following the Bible at that point; you're just agreeing with some ideas and rolling with it. Things like this are all or nothing.
    Of course you can pick and choose what you want to believe, it doesn't necessarily have to be from the Bible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 4Useful Useful x 3 (list)

24. Post #24
    June 2010
    6,271 Posts
    Beliefs of any kind can get in the way of progress, not just religious ones, and many religious people know to think independently of their faith when it comes to politics, only taking in mind general moral lessons like be nice to your neighbor or something. Extremists of any kind can be bad. Extreme atheists might just throw the country into religious debates as well. Whether you're religious or not doesn't determine how good a person you are, tho some people taking pride in their faith or absence thereof might think otherwise.

I fail to see how it's "progress", but I guess science is answering more and more questions religion used to answer, and often with more proof or theories made very plausible by certain experiments, so this development doesn't really surprise me all too much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 6Useful Useful x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,976 Posts
    I know you like to believe that everyone who's religious is ignorant, but could you stop being ignorant yourself? There's hundreds of Christian churches who don't breach homophobic, racist, or sexist beliefs. Just because they identify themselves into a group which has many sects, doesn't mean they're all the same. And calling yourself a Christian doesn't automatically make you some racisti homophobe. Take your head out of your ass and read what you're typing, please.
    Never said it makes you a racist homophobe. I'm saying you're condoning it by believing in it. So these Christian churches that don't condone it don't completely agree with the books they're preaching from? Something's wrong there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Useful Useful x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,694 Posts
    Common sense?

Oh my god.

You're no better than the religious extremists, zally. Be more ignorant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 25Agree x 4Useful x 2Zing x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,976 Posts
    Of course you can pick and choose what you want to believe, it doesn't necessarily have to be from the Bible.
    Yes you can pick and choose what you wish to believe, but you can't say you believe in the Bible and THEN pick and choose.

Edited:

Oh my god.

Yes, calling me an idiot is going to really progress a discussion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Useful Useful x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Absolute tosser, manchild, and belligerent douche-nozzle.
    July 2006
    6,803 Posts
    Attrocites committed by the Soviet Union were committed in the name of Communism, not Atheism. Unlike the Crusades, or 9/11, or Waco, or Jones Town
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 11Dumb Dumb x 2Useful Useful x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,694 Posts
    Yes you can pick and choose what you wish to believe, but you can't say you believe in the Bible and THEN pick and choose.

Edited:

Yes, calling me an idiot is going to really progress a discussion.
    "people can't choose what parts of the bible they want to believe in and still be christians! i'm zally and i define how people identify themselves with a religion!!11!"

Yet people do this and it's acceptable. Why the fuck are you even arguing otherwise. Are you the one who chooses how people can and cannot pick a religion?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Useful Useful x 2Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    November 2009
    6,600 Posts
    This is a start. Hopefully one day I'll be able to see this poll at 100%.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 South Africa Show Events Dumb Dumb x 15Agree Agree x 13Useful Useful x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    3,714 Posts
    The Soviet Union and it's satellites were full of religious people, didn't help that Stalin was insane though. Hell, Gorbachev was a orthodox Christian.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    "Gold Member"
    Dennab
    May 2007
    13,705 Posts
    Common sense?

Yeah it's not like you can interpret a text, or anything. Nope, clearly a fucking talking snake convinced a woman to eat an apple and that resulted in the end of a utopia.

You know nothing of religious education, you're just as ignorant as the people you claim to be ignorant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Dumb Dumb x 5Useful Useful x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,976 Posts
    "people can't choose what parts of the bible they want to believe in and still be christians! i'm zally and i define how people identify themselves with a religion!!11!"

Yet people do this and it's acceptable. Why the fuck are you even arguing otherwise. Are you the one who chooses how people can and cannot pick a religion?
    You're not even Christian at that point. You can't say you agree with Marxism and then pick and choose parts of it (That was a god awful example). It's all or nothing. Just say you agree with parts of it and not everything. Most people I know who say they believe in the Bible pick and choose the parts that suit their life and not the parts that don't. That's just to convenience themselves.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 2Useful Useful x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    August 2011
    501 Posts
    Attrocites committed by the Soviet Union were committed in the name of Communism, not Atheism. Unlike the Crusades, or 9/11, or Waco, or Jones Town
    That's not what I meant. Soviet Russia was de jure atheist and it really wasn't the most advanced or civilised nation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Useful Useful x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,976 Posts
    Yeah it's not like you can interpret a text, or anything. Nope, clearly a fucking talking snake convinced a woman to eat an apple and that resulted in the end of a utopia.

You know nothing of religious education, you're just as ignorant as the people you claim to be ignorant.
    I'm not talking about interpreting, but rather picking parts. When it comes to the Old Testament, half of it is ignored and then the New Testament is hugged and loved.

Edited:

That's not what I meant. Soviet Russia was de jure atheist and it really wasn't the most advanced or civilised nation.
    Yeah but it wasn't atheist at all. The people weren't at the very least.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Useful Useful x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,694 Posts
    You're not even Christian at that point. You can't say you agree with Marxism and then pick and choose parts of it (That was a god awful example). It's all or nothing. Just say you agree with parts of it and not everything. Most people I know who say they believe in the Bible pick and choose the parts that suit their life and not the parts that don't. That's just to convenience themselves.
    Can you please tell me where it's defined that if you don't believe and practice everything in the bible, you aren't a christian anymore? I'm not really going to take your word on it, since you've already proven yourself to be an extremely ignorant person.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Useful Useful x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Not that bad of a seed
    January 2011
    11,132 Posts
    No they can't.

We don't follow one doctrine. We just don't accept any doctrine. We're not a religion like you implied, dammit. We're a lack of one. Get it right. We decided not to follow faith. That's it. Some decide to believe in evolution, some decide to believe in the Big Bang, etc. We're not categorized by belief, but lack of one.
    In a way that just makes atheism more like every other religion. There are different degrees and ways of following it. There are thousands of branches of Christianity, I for one am a Christian and I believe in evolution. My point is: every faith, even the lack thereof, has bigoted zealots. Most people around here would insist otherwise but it's true, and you'd be better off NOT taking the Catholic church's advice and actually do something about your own lunatics rather than deny their existence.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Useful Useful x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    5,446 Posts

If you're going to pretend to take the moral high ground, can you stop immaturely attacking him and focus on what he's saying? He has a good point, if the religious book is supposed to be god's teachings but you're only going to believe part of it, doesn't that kind of undermine it? Of course this only applies to religions with a holy book with offensive teachings in it, but two of the most followed religions fit this do they not?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 12Useful Useful x 3 (list)

39. Post #39
    Not that bad of a seed
    January 2011
    11,132 Posts
    And Garik stop rating every single post in this thread useful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful x 23Funny x 6Disagree x 3Dumb x 1Agree x 1Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,199 Posts
    That's very true.

Unfortunately, the all-accepting church on the corner of Main and 1st street gets less media attention then, say, the Westburo Baptist Church.

The other unfortunate fact is that, as religious indoctrination (and general religious studies and upbringings) decline in the United States, the more extreme aspects of religion are bound to be more highlighted in the media.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Useful Useful x 3 (list)