1. Post #1041
    all you guys asking where 682 would fit, have you been to the chamber his file is in(and where his voice jumpscares you)? the doors are bloody massive, and you're forgetting he could just marty-stu his way out of anywhere by adapting to it.

Edited:

also Larry is the biggest joke ever if you mod the scps.ini file so he's really slow.

and Bll is the most annoying shit ever, cunt keeps blocking bloody blastdoors. if you just chant "Old Men, Warning, Warning." he loses all fear-factor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #1042
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    5,941 Posts
    Someone needs to record the sound in the 682 chamber.

I only heard it on a livestream where I wasn't really paying attention, and there doesn't seem to be any videos about it.

Edited:

So apparently the inclusion of 682 is actually old news. Whoever owns the official Youtube channel of the game asked if they could use a voice clip someone did of the Addendum 682-B interview.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #1043
    December 2011
    1,143 Posts
    From what Ive read about this game, it sounds a lot like Clock Tower for the PS1

You play as a character who can only deter or hide from an invincible entity that can appear almost anywhere and chases you throughout the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

4. Post #1044
    Black Box Lover and Enthusiast
    August 2007
    8,017 Posts
    From what Ive read about this game, it sounds a lot like Clock Tower for the PS1

You play as a character who can only deter or hide from an invincible entity that can appear almost anywhere and chases you throughout the game.
    Except there's 2 invincible entities, along with a few other surprises.

5. Post #1045
    roar
    January 2008
    13,170 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #1046
    December 2011
    1,143 Posts
    New Challenge:

Create a mod where He-Man is 173 and Skeletor is that one scp who goes through walls.

And don't forget the most important part

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itvJy...e_gdata_player
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #1047
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,983 Posts
    He might have a better chance of surviving 173 if he didn't stand there screaming upon seeing him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #1048
    "some of those dragon dildo designs are pretty cool"
    February 2007
    8,655 Posts
    Having some generic monster chase in a generic corridor would dissolve all of the tension. You know where he is (behind you), you know what he's going to do (chase you), and you know what he wants (murder). There's no tension there and no fear. Just you, a corridor and a monster. Whoopdee fucking doo.

There's a reason why games like Amnesia have "hide in the corner" sequences rather than "oh no monsters run!" sequences. It's because the tension of hiding is frightening, while the exhilaration of running is just boring, generic action-movie schlock. They might as well just give you an assault rifle and tell you to be scared, like every other "survival horror" game out there.
    I don't see how 682 would be any different from Amnesia monster. It's an unkillable entity that stalks the corridors that you need to hide from. When it chases you, your shit will exit your anus as you look for a place to hide from it.

Edited:

Listen.

I'm not explaining to you what scares me. I'm explaining to you the formal concept of tension in a work of fiction. Tension is the most important aspect of legitimate horror. Think about every monster movie ever. When did it stop being scary? Right around the time you finally got a good look at the monster.

Action sequences, fight-or-flight responses and chases are not scary because they completely dissolve the tension. There are no lingering questions. No doubts as to what you should be doing or where you should be going. Just "monster here, salvation there. Go."

I'm not saying there's one single way to scare people. I'm saying there's one single way to illicit long-lasting fear, and that's tension. You can invoke tension in a plethora of ways. Mystery, self-doubt, paranoia, atmosphere, ambiance, pacing, etc. Benny Hill chases aren't one of them.
    Can you not have SCP 682 as well as chase scenes?
    You're spewing shit, there's literally no reason SCP 682 can't be scary. Seems to me you're just looking at it on paper and not imagining what it would be like in the actual game, where you'll be immersed into the atmosphere and ambiance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

9. Post #1049
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,757 Posts
    Benny Hill chases aren't one of them.
    Bullshit.

Bear from Condemned 2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

10. Post #1050
    October 2009
    2,302 Posts
    Isn't 682 fast as fuck? Wouldn't be much of a chase scene

11. Post #1051
    Kawaii Member
    July 2005
    16,914 Posts
    Let's face it the only reason people are considering adding 682 is because he's popular and has gained points as being "the cool SCP" so obviously he HAS to be added.

You know I want in the game? Editor beetles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #1052
    Midna is hot stuff~
    October 2007
    2,591 Posts
    If nothing else, it could be just a chase to the nearest door to escape, considering how big 682 is.

The tension would rely on you to remember where you entered the room from. Is the door closed? Is it still open? Could 173 be there?

God nows nothing would be worse than running from 682, passing through a door and having 173 snap your neck because you didn't notice him next to the door.

13. Post #1053
    Kawaii Member
    July 2005
    16,914 Posts
    Throw an editor bettle into 914 on very fine and you should be able to use it to hyper-clarify SCP documents to figure out crucial survival information
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

14. Post #1054
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    Bullshit.

Bear from Condemned 2.
    jumpscare in a glorified fighting game and/or FPS. There wasn't a single legitimately frightening moment in Condemned 2, just a long series of things going "Boo!" before you bashed their skulls in with a hammer.

This game is much more like Amnesia than something like Condemned.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #1055
    Kawaii Member
    July 2005
    16,914 Posts
    Or, alternatively, tuned up editor beetles could be used to remove expungments from various site documents, allowing you to figure out locations of important things or details you otherwise wouldn't have been able to see.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 10 (list)

16. Post #1056
    Midna is hot stuff~
    October 2007
    2,591 Posts
    It would be awesome if SCP-096 were added, but I doubt it would be very scary. Despite that, 096 is definitely one of my favorites.

The worst thing would be accidentally flipping on a video feed to his containment and    seeing his face   . At that point it's just hoping that death comes quickly enough.

17. Post #1057
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,757 Posts
    jumpscare in a glorified fighting game and/or FPS. There wasn't a single legitimately frightening moment in Condemned 2, just a long series of things going "Boo!" before you bashed their skulls in with a hammer.

...But he didn't "jumpscare" you. You get leadups to encountering him throughout the level, finally meet him chilling in the rec room, and even get a head start since he has to notice you and get across the tables first.

You don't fight him, he doesn't go booga booga, and he doesn't just come out of nowhere. Nothing you just said actually relates to that scene.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

18. Post #1058
    Kawaii Member
    July 2005
    16,914 Posts
    I think ultimately the game needs way more SCPs involving the really cool safe designated SCPs.

Like this.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-033

What if one puzzle involved a security system still active (say, by a dynamo generator or some shit just ride with it) and you couldn't get past it, so you needed to destroy it. Assume it's some kind of security system that you can't destroy physically (maybe only the non-essential parts like monitor etc are actually accessible), so you have to disable it. You could try to fiddle around with it manually (which would work eventually), but 106 or 173 is on your tail.

What if that seemingly useless piece of paper with mathematical bullshit scrawled on it was your ticket to completely overload and disable it? GENIUS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

19. Post #1059
    I WOTCH ANIEM
    October 2008
    8,026 Posts
    I still want my accelerating joke tomatoes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 3 (list)

20. Post #1060
    February 2007
    8,655 Posts

The bear in Condemned 2 was definitely not a jumpscare. It actually had foreshadowing and buildup. Plus the actual moment when the chase started was not sudden or anything. It had some elements of a jumpscare, but I wouldn't call it one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #1061
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    The bear in Condemned 2 was definitely not a jumpscare. It actually had foreshadowing and buildup. Plus the actual moment when the chase started was not sudden or anything. It had some elements of a jumpscare, but I wouldn't call it one.
    Building of tension does not negate a cheap jumpscare. Simply because it is hinted that something is going to pop out and go "aboogie boogie boo!" does not make it any more valid.

Condemned is a pretty poor example.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

22. Post #1062
    April 2010
    2,446 Posts
    Combine it so you can use your microphone to tell jokes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

23. Post #1063
    February 2007
    8,655 Posts
    Building of tension does not negate a cheap jumpscare. Simply because it is hinted that something is going to pop out and go "aboogie boogie boo!" does not make it any more valid.

Condemned is a pretty poor example.
    It is, but I maintain that the bear was not a jumpscare. A jumpscare is the sudden introduction of an unexpected element into the scene. The bear was neither sudden nor unexpected.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

24. Post #1064
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,756 Posts
    SCP-682 is one of the flagship SCP articles, Iconic yet not widely popular. Sure he's not necessary to the game but a lack of him would just feel a bit wrong.

Adding 682 to the game is simply a matter of working within anything within the article.

I can envisage a few ways in which he can be implemented.

First method is whereby you use him as a series of independent game mechanics for different situations. Thus restricting his screen-time to something a little less offensive and tension shattering.

SCP-682 can tunnel and generate long prehensile libs to reach trough holes. this can work as an anti "stay in room" mechanic. Basically just have the floor shake and if you hang around too long the bugger reaches through the floor and rips you a new one.

He could also work as a sort of room transition point. You come to a T-Junction with two blast doors. One of them starts getting pounded in., green lizardy blur goes by, breaks down the other door.

The second method is something i like to call the "oppressive entity" idea. Basically SCP 682 is in this area somewhere and you have to sneak by unnoticed, cocking up will result in swift and untimely termination. To put this in perspective, think of a mix between the hl2:ep Antlion guardian and the amnesia monsters.

I would advise against a chase sequece, because they may catch you off guard at first, but after a few tries they get swiftly dull. They end up becoming trial and error exercises, (The rock-worm chase from penumbra, shit my pants first time it appeared, soon became a glorified QTE with physics boxes.)

Chasing is much better when it's unscripted and just "happens", being perused by 173 as you frantically look for the door controls is tense because the only way for it to end is when you think of a solution. 106's chase scenes are tense as they have no end in sight, and can happen anywhere without warning or any form of foreshadowing.

TL;DR, SCP-682 could be implemented, just very carefully.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

25. Post #1065
    Kawaii Member
    July 2005
    16,914 Posts
    If 682 is included it shouldn't notice you at all, let alone have a stupid chase scene/hide from me!!! scene. It should be something fleeting like you hear a massive ruckus, in the distance, and when you arrive you see a series of mangled walls that you have to walk through, with the player wondering what caused them, with maybe some clues scattered about like scales. Even though it is basically a masturbatory SCP it shouldn't be used as one, if included it should be some kind of reminder of how weak you are. Even being able to evade it in a stealth minigame style thing would disenfranchise 682 because, well, you managed to evade it (and it's a mary sue so that should not bea ble to happen)

Ultimately though you should never add an SCP because it's popular. The staff admit 682 is a sub-par idea so why on earth would you add it just because it's KEWL
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #1066
    roar
    January 2008
    13,170 Posts
    Something as big and violent as that regenerating life-hating lizard doesn't fit the current game at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

27. Post #1067
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,628 Posts
    combine it with a microphone, duct tape, and a Dane Cook CD

then, if you can somehow get behind 173, you can use it on him to knock him over for ten minutes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

28. Post #1068
    Kawaii Member
    July 2005
    16,914 Posts
    would probably shatter it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #1069
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,628 Posts
    it'd be cool if there were very rare opportunities to damage or even break SCPs, but you're executed at the end for your lack of understanding for Foundation procedure

it'd really make you work for a good ending
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #1070
    i want the ability to push that goddamn feotus statue over.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

31. Post #1071
    February 2007
    8,655 Posts
    it'd be cool if there were very rare opportunities to damage or even break SCPs, but you're executed at the end for your lack of understanding for Foundation procedure

it'd really make you work for a good ending
    But you're a D-Class, I don't think you're limited by foundation procedure like an Agent would be.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

32. Post #1072
    Kawaii Member
    July 2005
    16,914 Posts
    You are permitted to destroy SCPs during a serious outbreak if there's a legit chance they're gonna escape for real

33. Post #1073
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,628 Posts
    But you're a D-Class, I don't think you're limited by foundation procedure like an Agent would be.
    Well yeah, but who exactly are you going to run to to escape? The GOC? The Foundation aren't going to be happy when they discover that D-Class they picked up from Site 19 just happens to be responsible for the destruction of SCPs that, for all they knew, could have had the cure for cancer if they just researched it enough.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

34. Post #1074
    Kawaii Member
    July 2005
    16,914 Posts
    Uh, if the Foundation finds you they will kill you, do you seriously think they want a D-Class (a convicted criminal) around them during a containment breach who could fuck everything up at the drop of a pin? The ultimate point is to escape from the site and from the Foundation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

35. Post #1075
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,628 Posts
    Uh, if the Foundation finds you they will kill you, do you seriously think they want a D-Class (a convicted criminal) around them during a containment breach who could fuck everything up at the drop of a pin? The ultimate point is to escape from the site and from the Foundation.
    I was thinking more like some random doctor guy considers dropping you off somewhere using whatever method of escape you're using (a car or whatever), and how you acted affects whether he'll return you or drop you off outside a town or something.

I don't know, it just seems like it'd be the kind of choice that would affect your chances of escaping alive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

36. Post #1076
    Kawaii Member
    July 2005
    16,914 Posts
    You're a D-Class, and the world of The Foundation is shit - they have to have serious thought on whether to let civilians be if they know too much, let alone what is basically a slave who has knowledge of one of the biggest facilities they got, and of multiple SCPs and how to operate them.

37. Post #1077
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,527 Posts
    still waiting for 946 to be added

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-946

38. Post #1078
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,631 Posts
    still waiting for 946 to be added

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-946
    A political debate about things to come? Sounds kind of funny, but wouldn't fit the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

39. Post #1079
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,527 Posts
    also, you should be able to find 131 and place -1 or -2 in front of 173, effectively disabling him.
    http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-131

Edited:

A political debate about things to come? Sounds kind of funny, but wouldn't fit the game.
    Nah man it'd be like in some observation chamber, and you can watch them debate over shit, and sometimes they'll be like "What would be the benefits of 173 being behind you?" or some shit like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Late Late x 1 (list)

40. Post #1080
    Max
    Ikuu~
    May 2009
    14,538 Posts
    Or as I said, have them accompany you throughout the facility
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)